Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    This CPU is cheaper and it's Ivy Bridge, but the MB must have the right revision to support it.
    Last edited by stalkerzzzz; 2013-02-14 at 01:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    I've just bought new chieftec 600w. With this and stanard cooling can I go up to 3Ghz?? I ask, because I have no idea about it.
    Standard cooling might be enough for OC to 3GHz.
    As I said, you can safely OC it to 3GHz, but monitor temps (with program like CoreTemp or similar).

As for PSU, 600W is an overkill, but doesn't hurt

On a similar note, I used to have E4300 quite a while ago. It chugged happily at 3GHz too.
    Similar as E2140 I have in 3rd PC - which also works nicely at 3GHz (with stock cooler), so yours should be fine.

Everest will be fine? And how you OC-ed it? By BIOS or software?
    Last edited by dzidek; 2013-02-14 at 02:08 PM.

Deleted
    Everest will be fine? And how you OC-ed it? By BIOS or software?
    OC it in BIOS.
    Try to check some manuals how to do it. There's plenty of guides on Internet, for both Core2Duo CPU's and probably for Motherboard you have.
    As said, aim for 3GHz in start. Don't overdo it though... 3GHz is nice start, and already nice boost

Hmm if your gpu is running at 99% (disable vsync to check) with low fps -> this gpu is being the bottleneck but the clock can be reversed that the GPU is not reaching 99% but the CPU is bottlenecking. It requires some monitoring so use a tool like gpu-z

If it's the gpu you most likely are going to upgrade to something like a 660 or 650ti and this CPU is surely going to bottleneck the shit out of it but you still gain some FPS.

I wouldn't go for a Q6600 at all because you're just going for a chip with the same die size process (65nm), higher clock speed and maybe just more cache.

Before you buy parts, just monitor your usages of the gpu really. The cpu is going to be pushed to 100% anyways.

My recommendations for a CPU would be the Q9550 stepping e0, no c1 stepping. The e0 is just so much better optimized for overclocking and requires for sure less vcore than c1 which just means obviously more overclock headroom and better temps. I had a C1 stepping which had cache issues and was performing 15% better than something like a e8400 -_- so I decided to sell it and bought myself the e0 stepping.

135eur for this chip -> http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Q9550-Co...item19d8e2bc8f

Make sure that you update the bios to the latest version so it supports the chip.

4.2 is about the bottleneck for wow I have found from tests of a overclock I made to 4.6ghz. Not differences there... 0% gains. SO I keep mine at 4.2 because this is a wow only machine. (3770k intel chip)

10+ Year Old Account
    4.2 is about the bottleneck for wow I have found from tests of a overclock I made to 4.6ghz. Not differences there... 0% gains. SO I keep mine at 4.2 because this is a wow only machine.
    While neat... sorta not useful info since we're not talking about Ivy Bridge cpu overclocking.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Don't worry too much about the CPU. You can't throw enough CPU power at wow to run it at that resolution with 60 FPS in raids. It's just not going to happen. Try turning some settings down like shadows. My friend has a similar setup (same CPU I believe) and he runs it on ultra with fairly high FPS, although he doesn't raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Don't worry too much about the CPU. You can't throw enough CPU power at wow to run it at that resolution with 60 FPS in raids. It's just not going to happen. Try turning some settings down like shadows. My friend has a similar setup (same CPU I believe) and he runs it on ultra with fairly high FPS, although he doesn't raid.
    He's already running at low. Not much lower you can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    He's already running at low. Not much lower you can go.
    In raids only, or everywhere? If he has to run it at low while just out in the world something is wrong and it's not the CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    In raids only, or everywhere? If he has to run it at low while just out in the world something is wrong and it's not the CPU.
    Read the OP, he didn't really specify. But it's irrelevant cause he's raiding.

You can give WoW enough processing power. His CPU is just a piece of crap. Hopefully overclocking it helps him.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Read the OP, he didn't really specify. But it's irrelevant cause he's raiding.

You can give WoW enough processing power. His CPU is just a piece of crap. Hopefully overclocking it helps him.
    The Core 2 Duo line definitely isn't crap, it's just older. It should actually be plenty to get decent FPS in most places.

Hell, I could run WoW better than that with my Pentium D (yes, during Mists) with a 6570. Dunno what's wrong.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2013-02-14 at 10:27 PM.

Generally WoW players are paying a bunch every x time to upgrade their PC because Blizzard doesn't optimize the game properly and provide better multithreading while the players are paying monthly for their subscription. Earlier I've read that Blizzard is just asking money just for customer support -_-

Comparing this game with Swtor, swtor is just far more superior performance wise. Newer gpu's or coming gpu's in within a few years are going to be pointless to upgrade for a WoW system except for people who always buy low-end gpu's. A 680 is surely going to survive the game for 5 years long without problems.

This topic is only about FPS in 25 man raid combat

But for the record I give examples. I play in very high population server EU Burning Legion:
    - flying on mount over pandaria ~80 (fair), 100+ (low)
    - doing daily quest at fair 50-80 fps, good ~50.
    - Shrine of two moons (lot of ppl): fair ~25-30 / low ~30-35
    I can do more testing, but fps outside 25 man raid combat in not issue for me. I was raiding 10 man with 2GB ram and Geforce GT240 whole Cata and everything was fine ;]

Yesterday I OCed my CPU to 2.4 and after that to 2.64.
    At 2.4 on LFR (due to valentains day we don't have our regurlar raid) I have ~30fps on fair (so higher settings than before). Max core temp was 42C. But LFR is LFR, has little in common with regular raid. Not very reliable for me.
    I don't have oportunity to test in raid combat @2.64.

On Sunday we will have our raid so I'll provide more real data.
    Last edited by dzidek; 2013-02-15 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This topic is only about FPS in 25 man raid combat

But for the record I give examples. I play in very high population server EU Burning Legion:
    - flying on mount over pandaria ~80 (fair), 100+ (low)
    - doing daily quest at fair 50-80 fps, good ~50.
    - Shrine of two moons (lot of ppl): fair ~25-30 / low ~30-35
    I can do more testing, but fps outside 25 man raid combat in not issue for me. I was raiding 10 man with 2GB ram and Geforce GT240 whole Cata and everything was fine ;]

Yesterday I OCed my CPU to 2.4 and after that to 2.64.
    At 2.4 on LFR (due to valentains day we don't have our regurlar raid) I have ~30fps on fair (so higher settings than before). Max core temp was 42C. But LFR is LFR, has little in common with regular raid. Not very reliable for me.
    I don't have oportunity to test in raid combat @2.64.

On Sunday we will have our raid so I'll provide more real data.
    couldn't you get it to 3ghz?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your cpu will be safe aslong its running under 70c, so go ahead and boost up the clocks.
    Aswell i'd put all wow settings to low (except particles+viewing) and directx to 9.

Since youre from Poland then go to http://www.purepc.pl/artykuly/zestawy_komputerowe . Great hardware forum.

@Killora
    According to what I found on the web this CPU can be OC to 3Ghz with standard cooling. But I want to do it step by step, because every hardware may respond to OC differently. My PC is quite old and I don't want to burn it. If 2.64 will be stable without overheating I will go 2.8 and after that maybe 3.

@ebah
    70C? What I found is 63C (no idea why exactly 63). DX set to 9 already.

@Usurper
    Definitely will take a look when I decide to buy new parts. Thx for link.
    Last edited by dzidek; 2013-02-15 at 10:54 AM.

Get prime95 to stress test the CPU.

30+ fps. Core temp max 43C. Look nice for me