Poll: What would you do if you found Horse meat in Beef product

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm curious how a producer doesn't know whats going into their meat? I realize that animal carcasses can look...similar, after they've been cut down a lot, but still. You'd think they'd know the difference between seeing a cow go into their slaughterhouse as opposed to a horse.

I honestly don't have a problem with eating horse. It's just a little chewier really.

this i can actualy answer.

the reason is that the company that did suply the meat never did see the animal..... for this case the animals was slaugtered in rumania ... cut out then sold to a company in france ( at this point as beef ) the french company did resell it to the english company as beef.

what we also should take a talk about is the lenght the food we eat travels ... Romania -> france -> england -> Denmark -> Sweden -> Norway, yes ALL these coutries and likely more got horse meat from Romania and atleast in Denmark and Sweden there is several products removed from the stores.
    Last edited by Drungan; 2013-02-14 at 07:27 PM.

Deleted
    I'd be like.. I payed for beef, but I got horse.. AWESOME!

Seeing as i am a "horseman" (that sounded wrong!), but i have had horses my whole life, so i would not eat horse meat, since to me they are as much "human's best friend" as dogs are.
    However i dont think i have eaten those "fastmeals" that contained it.

But i have eaten horse "sausage" before, at the meat market, asked me if i wanted to taste, so i said yes. Then i asked what it was, and it was elk,deer and horse.. My face was prob priceless.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    Not 100% sure... but isn't horse meat said to be taster?
    Of course that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to name is as "beef" when it's not...
    These... also... i will eat it if i like how it taste

Deleted
    but to be fair, these fastfood microwave products would probably taste the same even if it was rat meat. they are pretty nasty imo :P

I'm more worried there might be beef in my glue!
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    to be honest its only in packaged beef products, so i wouldnt eat that crap even if it was beef, but I dont think it being horse is the problem, its that they were selling the product as beef, when horse is much cheaper, mislabeling isnt good for a business

Meeh i just heard more about this, turns out.. That horses were stolen from people, and then put down to sell as beef. And that is the exact same thing as someone going around taking your cats/dogs and putting them down to sell the meat. People owned and loved some of these horses.. Imagine (all pet owners, if they did this to you).
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    to be honest its only in packaged beef products, so i wouldnt eat that crap even if it was beef, but I dont think it being horse is the problem, its that they were selling the product as beef, when horse is much cheaper, mislabeling isnt good for a business
    I'm the same, I dont eat microwaveable meals myself. I prefer to buy my meat from the deli / butcher so I know what I am getting. I make exceptions for chicken, because god damn the Birdseye chicken chargrills are tasty!

I read tonight however, that a fresh pasta sauce on sale in Germany has been found to also contain horse DNA. Looks like it's not just frozen crap that has been contaminated anymore...

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'd purchased something labeled as beef, and I found out it was horse, I would be pissed that I didn't get what I purchased. But if I was served horse while knowing it was horse, I wouldn't have a problem. Horse meat tastes good.

Deleted
    didnt they trace it back to a farm in poland or something?
    no it wasnt traced back to a farm in poland. it was traced to an english farm that breeds and raises horses for slaughter that then gets shipped to poland.

and on topic i couldnt care less that it was horse meat its great ive eaten it willingly before, as for most ppl here the mislabelling that bothers most of us

I'd be a surprised, since horse meat isn't something you can get easily here and when you do its more so frowned upon in my part.. Lamb on the other hand, I'd want a refund if I later found out, just on the basis it wasn't what I paid for or picked out, in general I've never tried horse meat and don't plan to. It wouldn't disgust me but it's just not in the plans.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Going by this poll it is a wonder why more companies do not lie to consumers. That is if they are not doing it already of course. People do not give a shit about much, but I already knew that.
    Quite a large number of people posting about this are only seeing the issue of the actual meat being horse instead of cow, so the votes will be all over the place. The point which has people worried is if it was butchered properly, and if the meat is even safe for human comsumption by not being full of steroids. If they lie about what meat goes in to their food then what makes people think the producer would have the integrity to ensure the horsemeat is safe for human consumption?

People aren't seeing the potential issues here.

15+ Year Old Account
    This might been said before, its not about that its horse meat instead of some other meat, its the drugs (some sort of painkillers) the used on the horse thats not to good for humans.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I'd be happy they didn't charge me extra for horse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    This might been said before, its not about that its horse meat instead of some other meat, its the drugs (some sort of painkillers) the used on the horse thats not to good for humans.
    Exactly. The fact that it is not subject to quality control is the critical factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Been lot fuss about the whole horse meat lasagna here in Sweden to, but heard that some drugs been given to the horses that had left traces in the meat. Dont remember what they said if it a bad thing tho.
    And apparently around 8000 horses went missing here last year which sounds abit weird.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    That's not a real argument.
    He said "meat is meat", so it's a perfect argument.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    i dont understand all the fuzz about this..

meat is meat..?
    the fact that you pay for something and get something different is the real problem