Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Growing disparity between PVP and PVE gear acquisition.

My concern. The system in place for progression of toon's at end game, is becoming more and more favoured towards PVP. Is this system fair?

PVP currently requires you to log in and BG/Arena, put in the time and effort... and you earns point to buy your gear. This is a good system.
    PVE currently requires you log in and Dungeon/LFR/Raid, put in the time and effort, (Dailies for a bonus roll)... and you roll the dice and hope for the best?

Okay, anticipating answer, yes you can buy PVE Valour items... at 1 piece every 2 to 3 weeks... if you were just going the VP bits.. due to shit all luck from drops and no money for crafted. You should have your toon progressed in 24 weeks (approx) (No weapons available with valour though)
    On the other hand PVP will take you roughly 17 weeks (with no rating), thats nearly 2 months difference.

So the problem, your put in the time and effort playing your toon for - gambling in PVE to progress your toon(funny that LFR actually shows that's what your doing now when hoping for loot on bonus rolls) or guaranteed in PVP.

And wait for the trolls "waaaaa! you want free epics!!! noob! blah blah blah!"

The comment I love most "you just want free epics! Don't want to put in the time! blah blah blah.."
    So someone put in their time and PVP's, is guaranteed through victory their currency to purchase upgrades.
    Someone that puts in their time into PVE, is giving a "chance" through victory at upgrades.

My opinion on a fair solution, makes PVE boss kills pay the gear currency at the equivalent rate at which a PVP player can earn in a week.

That means PVP and PVE is equally rewarding and you still need to do the content if you want to progress.

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 05:29 PM ----------

oh yeah... I forgot what prompted this!

PVP in 5.3 will be providing a catch up mechanic to pick up all the conquest you missed out on if you work not online earning.
    PVE will not.

I also think think they need to rework rewards at end game pve.
    I have been running lfr 5 weeks in a row, with 3 coins each week, and 0 drops for me.
    That demotivates me more and more and more... last two weeks I didn't even bother to run.
    So yeah, I hope at some point they will decrease the importance of rng a bit.

Doesn't Blizzard say to fill your streaks of bad luck with valor gear or are they talking out of their ass?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaicre View Post
    system ...is becoming more and more favoured towards PVP. Is this system fair?...
    Let me answer your question with another question - Does it matter if it's fair?

PVE and PVP work totally differently.

Let's look at the extreme - - - what if... all characters are automatically outfitted with full maxed out PVP gear upon reaching max level.

In that situation, do you think PVE'ers would then beg for the same? I doubt they would actually want to take the gear aspect completely out of PVE.

You ask for equality, yet when it comes to the extreme, you wouldn't want it any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    Anyway, their egos, or "epeens" (electronic penises) aside, here are a few links that may help:

i find i have a lack of care about how PVP guys get their gear since its a pvp system and we dont need to be the same or equal because we're diferent and do different things and its not a competition and we arent opposing factions/social groups

OP, are you playing a client that doesn't have Valor or Justice?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Valor point rewards for 5.0 and 5.1 epic items will have their cost reduced by 50% and 25%, respectively. How is that not a form of catchup?

Quote Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
    Doesn't Blizzard say to fill your streaks of bad luck with valor gear or are they talking out of their ass?
    Oh yeah, you can get gear for vp..... just need to do dailies for a long time in a row..... I am sorry but dailies are not my thing and I don't have the time to log on and run dailies each and every day.... it doesn't fit in my schedule. VP I can get slowly.. but the rep?????

So, the thing was that gear should drop from raidbosses and dailies weren't/aren't mandatory!
    That is what I am doing...... or do you think Blizzard was talking out of their ass when they said that dailies weren't mandatory?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    So, the thing was that gear should drop from raidbosses and dailies weren't/aren't mandatory!
    That is what I am doing...... or do you think Blizzard was talking out of their ass when they said that dailies weren't mandatory?
    They aren't. That doesn't mean they wouldn't make gearing faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    They aren't. That doesn't mean they wouldn't make gearing faster.
    If they aren't then I'm good. I am gearing through lfr....... lets see how well that goes.. as said, 5 weeks and each week 3 coins, 0 drops... not even something I already had!
    As I don't have the time for dailies really... If I start I will want to finish and I can't log in daily. So I am not going to start something that will annoy me in the long run.
    If I would have the time, I would run them for sure... but I'm not going to reschedule my irl just to play a game. That will be the world upsidedown.

When 5.2 hits, they are going to increase the droprates for 5.1 greatly. I think I will be running them and catchup.

A lot of players like the randomness of PvE gear. To them, its basically filling their closet gambling tendancies. They hate the fact that you can calculate how many weeks of raiding it will take to get this or that piece of gear if everything was converted to points like PvP. Plus, a lot of guilds like the fact that they can game gear towards certain players (pseudo-nepotism); gaming isn't possible under a points system.

If PvP gear was awarded via randomness then a lot of people would rage and rage hard. This is due to the belief that PvP should be strictly based on skill. As an MMO, gearing is a requirement for WoW PvP. Even so, players believe PvP gear should strictly follow skill (rating/points).

Blizzard caters to what most players want, so this is why PvE gear is awarded based on chance and PvP gear is not.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-15 at 08:18 AM.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    95% of the PvP players thinks the current PvP system is terrible, but good thing if you think its good !
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP gear is PvE viable so it's just as fast to gear up. There's nothing stopping you from getting both and gearing up as quick as you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look up what a Skinner Box is. If the rewards come reliably, the rats don't get addicted to pushing the button. The randomness is Blizzard's key to keeping its 'customers' hooked.

Deleted
    I will say only one thing. Let's say you raid every week and go on a lucky streak of drops. This means that your character could be finished with his gear in 3-4 weeks. Isn't this unfair for the pvp guy who will still has those weeks you mentioned above to farm? Also in PvE you can get your weapon from day one. In PvP you have to wait at least four weeks. And another important factor is that in this tier a PvE player could much more easily spend his valor on upgrades than a PvP player, because he could get more than half his gear from boss drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like a system where all players just got the top end PVP set mailed to them each season and then all PVP rewards were restricted to vanity things like Xmog sets, titles, mounts, toys etc. This would make it more accessible and less based on gear disparity. The RNG of PVE is fine and an integral part of the game.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason why PvP gear is called "wellfare epics".

Deleted
    OP you get PVE gear faster as you do LFR/Normal & Heroic to gear up...

Quote Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
    Let me answer your question with another question - Does it matter if it's fair?

PVE and PVP work totally differently.

Let's look at the extreme - - - what if... all characters are automatically outfitted with full maxed out PVP gear upon reaching max level.

In that situation, do you think PVE'ers would then beg for the same? I doubt they would actually want to take the gear aspect completely out of PVE.

You ask for equality, yet when it comes to the extreme, you wouldn't want it any more.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Q: When do hunters get to tame druids?
    A: Right after druids get a hunter form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
    what if... all characters are automatically outfitted with full maxed out PVP gear upon reaching max level.
    haven't they been doing this with upgrading pvp crafted gear?
    granted it's a lower quality than honor/jp gear (450 instead of 458) next patch it is being increased.

have there been equivalent pve sets that can be simply crafted?
    entire sets mind you not one or two epics(per armor class) requiring raid mats(blood spirits saronites primal nethers etc...)

they do it for pvp, has anyone been "begging" that they do it for pve?

edit- by upgrading pvp crafted gear i mean raising it's ilvl each patch, which has been done since late wotlk if i remember right.
    --there has not been similar gear upgrades for pve as far as crafting literally entire sets of armor / jewelry
    Last edited by Christan; 2013-02-15 at 08:56 AM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.