Poll: Which Installment of WoW Provided the Best Story?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, quite simple it's Wrath of The Lich King, but i think it's more because of Warcraft RTS Legacy Arthas story is Blizzard best after all.

MoP is miles ahead of other xpacs in how rich and detailed its lore is. There are so many freaking little stories about people and cultures. There are a ton of lore objects around the continent too. WotLK just has the most famous villian and that's it. The story that was told was meh.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    WoW was based on Warcraft, and it finished Warcraft's story in Wotlk, so the best story would be the one that started in WC3 in a universe based 4 games before it.

I never understood this logic.

It's not like Deathwing was a villain made up just for Cataclysm.
    Wotlk didn't end Warcraft's story, it ended Arthas' personal story.
    The same way Burning Crusade ended Illidan's (baring any sort of resurrection in the future.)
    Cataclysm ended Neltharion's story.

Mists is really the first expansion that's unique to wow and not just tying up pieces left over from Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    MoP is miles ahead of other xpacs in how rich and detailed its lore is. There are so many freaking little stories about people and cultures. There are a ton of lore objects around the continent too. WotLK just has the most famous villian and that's it. The story that was told was meh.
    This pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    I really wish people would stop just picking their favorite expansion for any given poll, and actually think about the question.

At the end of the day, only two significant story things happened in WotLK
    One was that we went to Northrend, we screwed up Arthas' plans, and we killed him.
    The second was that we got a slightly clearer picture of how the Old Gods and Titans have interacted, as well as the origin stories for gnomes/dwarves/humans.

Mists has already introduced a continent with a very very rich background, and several races on it that have unique histories spanning thousands of years. And continued character progression that WotLK completely lacked other than Wrynn realizing that sometimes it's okay to treat orcs with respect.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2013-02-16 at 10:14 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    I never understood this logic.

It's not like Deathwing was a villain made up just for Cataclysm.
    Wotlk didn't end Warcraft's story, it ended Arthas' personal story.
    The same way Burning Crusade ended Illidan's (baring any sort of resurrection in the future.)
    Cataclysm ended Neltharion's story.

Mists is really the first expansion that's unique to wow and not just tying up pieces left over from Warcraft.
    Can't blame you, it's pretty darn hard to understand something which doesn't exist. Sadly, a lot of people seems to think that "Warcraft 3 = ALL TEH STORY!" and they also seem to think that warcraft 3 was only about Arthas, so therefore they conclude something silly like this; "Warcraft 3 = all story, warcraft 3 was only about Arthas, so Wotlk = End of all story" - moronic, I know.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

http://www.wowpedia.org/Might_of_Kalimdor

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Scepter_...ds_quest_chain

http://www.wowpedia.org/Paladin_ques..._.28Charger.29

http://www.wowpedia.org/Ragged_John

What you wanting? *hic*

Tell me a story. John.

Aright *hic*...Say, you look famillar *hic*. Have I ever told you about the time me and Windsor fought off thir, er...a thous...a million orcs?

Let me grab popped corn kernels, sire.

Windsor was particularly ornery that day - and believe me, for Windsor, that's a monumental accomplishment. He kept telling me that 'something feels off.' Well he wasn't kidding!

We were in that middle of Blackrock Mountain when the filthy animals attacked. I'm talking about the orcs, of course. Pay attention, will ya? All you could hear were grunts and that clanging of steel as they rushed us.

So what did you do?

Me versus fifty orcs? I'm no fool, <player>. My pappy always told me, 'Discreditin is the better part of a cracked.' or something, and I knew what that meant.

Start making sense, dwarf. I don't want to have anything to do with your cracker, your pappy, or any sort of 'discreditin.;

Alright, alright. Anyhow, so I sorta slipped into the shadows.

That didn't sit too well with Windsor, seeing as how he was already extra cranky, Well he started spinnin' old Ironfoe around and screaming like a mad man at the orcs.

Ironfoe?

Yep, You never heard of Ironfoe? The legendary orc slaying hammer? Yep, yep, that was ol' Windsor's hammer. He told me that Franclorn Forgewright: The Dark Iron responsible for stonewrought archimetenc...building stuff. He also said that hammer had a twin that Franclor kept for himself. Think he called it Ironfel or something.

Interesting...continue, John

So where was I? Oh yea, so the orcs rushed Windsor and Windsor, well, he didn't move ah inch. He stood tall as they charged him, ten at a time. All I could see was the glow from Ironfoe and a lot of blood. This went on for hours, maybe days. I don't remember. Anyhow, FINALLY, it stopped

So that's how Windsor died...

Died? Are you cracked, <player>? Excused me, miss <player>! Windsor wouldn't have died from no fifth orcs. As sure as Thelsmar blood sausage is the tastiest food the world may ever know, there he stood: He was covered in orc chunks

So he did he die?

Why do you keep saying he died? Who told you he died? I never said he died.

He went missing is all.

You see, apparently we had gotten into the middle of some big orc Versus Dark Iron dwarf battle. The orcs, being the filthy, miserable curs that hey are, were our early, setting up some traps and other diabolical things you probably wouldn't understand.

Ok, So where that hell is he? Wait a minute! Are you drunk?

Dwarves don't get drunk, missy. I'm just a little sloggy.

Anyhow, Windsor? I figured he's somewhere in Blackrock Depths. That's the Dark Iron city for you unedumecated peoples

WHY is he in Blackrock Depths

Slow down! I was getting to that!

So there he was, standing tall with all the blood and guts dripping off him when who shows up?

The Dark Irons! Didn't you hear a word I said??

Well, the Dark Irons are a little craftier that those Blackrock orcs. They came prepared. by prepared I mean there were about 300 of em... *hic* 'scuse me.

300? So the Dark Irons killed him and dragged him into the Depths?

Missy, If I didn't know better, I'd think you were one of them 'special' peoples. We call em Troggs.

Windsor didn't have no beef with the Dark Irons, after all, his great, great, grad pappy's best friend was a Dark Iron. Which is also probably why that army of Dark Irons didn't kill him on sight.

Ahh...Ironfoe
    Finally! Put some fingers in your ears, your brain mighta just grown five sizes and I'm worried it might leak out.
    So, the Dark Irons spared his life and took him prisoner. Their leader, some self-important, uppity fella named Thauris-something took Ironfoe for, himself. And that was the last I saw of ol' Windsor... *hic* 'scuse me.

Thanks Ragged John. Your story was very uplifting and informative.
    Still gotta give it to Vanilla imo.
    Last edited by Skytotem; 2013-02-16 at 10:17 PM.
    Twas brillig

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Can't blame you, it's pretty darn hard to understand something which doesn't exist. Sadly, a lot of people seems to think that "Warcraft 3 = ALL TEH STORY!" and they also seem to think that warcraft 3 was only about Arthas, so therefore they conclude something silly like this; "Warcraft 3 = all story, warcraft 3 was only about Arthas, so Wotlk = End of all story" - moronic, I know.
    For a first foray into post-WC3 content... Cata left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Which is why I'm glad they went away from WC1 and WC2 storylines entirely for MoP. They're better at making stuff up than making old stuff fit.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    they all had pretty good points and some really bad points... wotlk story would have been amazing but it had some very large plot holes due to them running out of time >.< tbc lore at the start didn't make much sense but got better , cata was pretty interesting too but again some plot holes >.<

Plot holes really do spoil the story for me they could easily make me happy by just answering a few questions

Deleted
    i enjoyed the wrath story line a lot, as a 2nd i must say MoP from what i seen so far. most of it is fresh and not continuation or a wrap up of older story lines.

cata had a good story, but in my opion they wasted almost all of it. BC was a bit random in my eyes, while it had some high profile characters the story itself didnt do them justice especially the ending in the sunwell which was completely random.
    vanilla lacked quite a lot of story in most raids and it didnt follow a story line, however the seperate stories it offered there were decent.

Mists by one hundred and thousand miles. It is the only expansion where something hasn't gone horribly wrong in lore yet.

Cataclysm was a big mess, Deathwing was wasted, Super-Thrall was super-stupid, the worst part of it was that it had so much potential, but it was all thrown away.

TBC and Vanilla had next to no lore really, it was like "Okay, so this guy is here now, let's kill him", and that's about it, only standout things were War of the Shifting Sands and Kael'thas' progression in TBC.

The worst is without a doubt Wrath though, I've spoken about it enough as it is, but holy fuck, I haven't seen any authors fuck their past characters up this much, this is worse than George Lucas fucking up Star Wars. In short Wrath was Inspector Tirion & Friends going out to beat Dr. Claw 5 times in a row while Dr. Claw's funny henchmen gets their asses handed to them (which would be twice for Anub'arak). Oh yeah, and in the middle of it we have this awesome story with Yogg-Saron, but that was the only good thing.

Mists have defied all my expectation, I've been sitting at the edge of my seat everytime there's something new. The story of the Mogu is by far the most interesting lore WoW has introduced, I'm so intrigued by it, especially Lei Shen. Then there's the awesome war moments of course, the Sha, Mantid, Old Gods, everything is just done right, and I have tried to be skeptical, I was sure that the lore for this expansion would suck, but I learned that while Blizzard can't control their old characters they are exceptional at controlling their new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Compared to the books Warcraft 3 actually presented some of the weakest lore of this franchise in my opinion. I did like the Scourge bits, but again, wasted in WotLK. Deathwing's story has had to be the best one, up until Cataclysm where they took everything good about him and tore it out of him.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-02-16 at 10:36 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    For a first foray into post-WC3 content... Cata left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Which is why I'm glad they went away from WC1 and WC2 storylines entirely for MoP. They're better at making stuff up than making old stuff fit.
    "Went away" Uhm really? Krasarang Wilds is basically Warcraft 2 in 3D, but eh.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 11:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Mists by one hundred and thousand miles. It is the only expansion where something hasn't gone horribly wrong in lore yet.

Cataclysm was a big mess, Deathwing was wasted, Super-Thrall was super-stupid, the worst part of it was that it had so much potential, but it was all thrown away.

TBC and Vanilla had next to no lore really, it was like "Okay, so this guy is here now, let's kill him", and that's about it, only standout things were War of the Shifting Sands and Kael'thas' progression in TBC.

The worst is without a doubt Wrath though, I've spoken about it enough as it is, but holy fuck, I haven't seen any authors fuck their past characters up this much, this is worse than George Lucas fucking up Star Wars. In short Wrath was Inspector Tirion & Friends going out to beat Dr. Claw 5 times in a row while Dr. Claw's funny henchmen gets their asses handed to them (which would be twice for Anub'arak). Oh yeah, and in the middle of it we have this awesome story with Yogg-Saron, but that was the only good thing.

Mists have defied all my expectation, I've been sitting at the edge of my seat everytime there's something new. The story of the Mogu is by far the most interesting lore WoW has introduced, I'm so intrigued by it, especially Lei Shen. Then there's the awesome war moments of course, the Sha, Mantid, Old Gods, everything is just done right, and I have tried to be skeptical, I was sure that the lore for this expansion would suck, but I learned that while Blizzard can't control their old characters they are exceptional at controlling their new ones.

Compared to the books Warcraft 3 actually presented some of the weakest lore of this franchise in my opinion. I did like the Scourge bits, but again, wasted in WotLK. Deathwing's story has had to be the best one, up until Cataclysm where they took everything good about him and tore it out of him.
    Once again, I totally agree Scotty.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Yea i agree Scotty i think mists as well just because thats when the horde starts actually doing shit. Just wish Saurfang would show up like he promised he would in Northrend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I continue to stand by and not choose Mists of Pandaria until it is over even though I love the story alot and think its the absolute best story I have ever seen since Warcraft 3, Wrath will be my choice for now.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-02-16 at 11:02 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Wrath. I did like vanillas "story" We are killing them because they need a killing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lich King was my favorite even with its problems (which were many).

MoP is not far behind and perhaps surpassing it with the perspective of some time. It's not finished yet of course so it's hard to know.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    WotLK had the exact same amount (or even more) of freaking little stories about people and cultures. MoP is not the only one that has it...

Wrath will possibly always have my opinion as the best Expansion for this game, purely for its immersible story and the great memories I had during it.

However, Mists' story has what wariofan: None of the Lore has been fucked up in a large way yet, nor has any of it been screwed up to begin with.

I dunno what Blizzard's writing staff did after Cata, but I've felt immersion in this Expansion's story like I did in Wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    WotLK had the exact same amount (or even more) of freaking little stories about people and cultures. MoP is not the only one that has it...
    Actually, MoP has a lot more. And I mean a lot. That, and stories can even be found anywhere in the world with lore objects about the races and such.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I disagree. Wrath had the major storylines of the Lich King, Yogg Saron, and Malygos' downfall.

The only little stories aside from that was the events of Wrathgate and its fallout, along with Garrosh's rise to power.

If you look at it as a whole (and this is coming from someone who loved Wrath's story), there wasn't a ton of small threads in its story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    WotLK.

It ended with the mystery of Bolvar on top. I'm going to scream like a schoolgirl if/when the storyline goes back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Actually, MoP has a lot more. And I mean a lot. That, and stories can even be found anywhere in the world with lore objects about the races and such.
    So how does MoP have more little stories than WotLK? I still see about the same amount of little stories in both xpansions. The only difference is that the WotLK ones aren't tagged for a loremaster achievement. The lore objects basically work the same as books you can read, all expansions had them.