Poll: Which Installment of WoW Provided the Best Story?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    Which installment(original game or one of the expansions)had the best story, or at least the most appealing one for you?
    I just wanted to show my personal order:
    WRATH>BC>MOP>CLASSIC>CATA

Scale from 1 to 10:
    WRATH: 9
    BC: 8.5
    MOP: 8
    CLASSIC: 5
    CATA: 4

Wrath of the Lich King continued a lot of the lore we had in previous iterations of WoW as well as touching some of the story from Warcraft III, which I was very happy about.

However, it was only really the catalyst of the current overall arc in the plotline. It's own story arc was very bland. It had very little in terms of ramping up conflict. It was "A couple problems arise that's in our way of killing Arthas... deal with it. Another one comes up. Deal with it. We prepare for the assault... then the assault happens." The main overall threat doesn't really change and evolve, it stays roughly the same.

Contrast it with Mists of Pandaria, where there is a similar pattern of "something problematic comes up, deal with it", but at the same time, we're clearly seeing more and more conflict piles up. First, the war begins to come to Pandaria, and the sha emerge. Then, the war comes to Pandaria in full strength and conflicts between Dalaran and Silvermoon emerge. Aside from the major Sha threat, these conflicts are going to continue into 5.2 when they would have been resolved by the end of the patch (or never even brought forth at all) in Wrath's time.

In Wrath's time, story was important, yes, but it was mainly the background for the content. We're seeing a much larger focus on story in Mists of Pandaria and the higher quality shows.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    So how does MoP have more little stories than WotLK? I still see about the same amount of little stories in both xpansions. The only difference is that the WotLK ones aren't tagged for a loremaster achievement. The lore objects basically work the same as books you can read, all expansions had them.
    Most faction leaders have their own story, along with them expanding into major storylines in 5.2, AND 5.3 might bring the rest of the faction leaders into the fray.

The background and history of the Mogu.

The mysteries beneath Pandaria.

The Sha and their origins.

The Mantid and their Origins.

Yshaarj.

The fate of multiple specific characters in certain villages throughout Pandaria.

Those 2 Pandaren in the Pandaren starting zone who everyone pines for because their story was awesome.

Chen Stormstout's background and progress through Pandaria.

The Klaxxi.

The downfall of the Empress and infection of the Dread Wastes.

The development of the Shado Pan's leader going from a stubborn leader to one who accepts outsiders.

The background of each August Celestial.

The Saurok and their uprising.

I have way too many more I can name.

But yeah, you get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    [/B]

Um, I think you have somehow confused "main villain" for story.
    Not at all. I consider MoP's "story" to be totally non-sensical and flopping about all over the place.

The story when you do get it, is juvenile, and the "humor" is pathetic and not much above poo jokes. Ok its not as bad as the cliched cataclysm, but I think the devs went too far on the "eastern mysticism" thing, without actually comprehending any of it.

Still, its all subjective so we can all like different things.
    Last edited by mmoc7b2c979220; 2013-02-17 at 01:15 AM.

Wrath with Pandaria in close 2nd

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sorry but Mists even though its not done yet, has spoiled me in the way story telling and the story arc's and mysterys are presented. Specially after a faction and voice actor as amazing as this one:
    5.2 SPOILER
    Last edited by Shampro; 2013-02-17 at 01:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Im sorry but Mists even though its not done yet, has spoiled me in the way story telling and the story arc's and mysterys are presented. Specially after a faction and voice actor as amazing as this one:
    5.2 SPOILER
    yeah, if you can stand the sterotypes and cliches that thing is swimming in. Its just a mash up to standard fairy tale tropes. Wayward children run amock when left with no supervision, best of intentions mixed with too much power.....
    As for the voice acting...too many 1970-1980s martial arts movies me thinks.

But hey, if thats what you like, thats fine. personally I'm not that impressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    yeah, if you can stand the sterotypes and cliches that thing is swimming in. Its just a mash up to standard fairy tale tropes. Wayward children run amock when left with no supervision, best of intentions mixed with too much power.....
    As for the voice acting...too many 1970-1980s martial arts movies me thinks.

But hey, if thats what you like, thats fine. personally I'm not that impressed.
    Its fine, I dont expect a lot of ppl that think, ''WoW died with the Lich King cuz W3 (cause thats all that was in W3 right? ) yadayada'' to agree with me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Its fine, I dont expect a lot of ppl that think, ''WoW died with the Lich King cuz W3 (cause thats all that was in W3 right? ) yadayada'' to agree with me.

I dont think wow died with LK.....never said that. T11 was good, though Cata went downhill fast and MoP just feels way off for me.

I think perhaps its a case of Bliz not anticipating sucess past LK, and so never drew up story plans this far down the line. MoP is just so far off base its hard for me to fit it into my wow reference at all. I really do get the impression past Wrath that Bliz dont really have a plan, it all feels so disjointed somehow.

I think they need to get back to the core of wow, the burning legion or another established lore element. going so far outside the box as it were with MoP makes it difficult for me to connect to what is going on. A lot of teh appeal of wow was that its world of "warcraft", and whilst I dont think they should be limited to whats in teh WC games, I do think they should stick closer to the themes involved.

Maybe its just because I was around for the whole WC series, right from the start. Maybe newer players have a different perspective as they dont connect wow with the previous warcraft games so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    I never understood this logic.

It's not like Deathwing was a villain made up just for Cataclysm.
    Wotlk didn't end Warcraft's story, it ended Arthas' personal story.
    The same way Burning Crusade ended Illidan's (baring any sort of resurrection in the future.)
    Cataclysm ended Neltharion's story.
    If you just played the games Deathwing was a very minor character in Warcraft. To compare, Teron Gorefiend(the first death knight) used DW as a mount and we killed him as a minor boss in BT. From WC2 all we knew about DW was that he had an object called the dragon soul(mixed up with demon soul) that was like the one ring from LOTR that he used to control the other dragons. And the dragons were just your normal flying lizards, no extra powers that they got later. So that is just another one of the reasons Cata's lore sucked because they pumped up a minor character to make him seem really bad after which you didnt see him until you fought him in the last raid(like he was asleep the whole expac).

As far as the ending of Warcraft's story in Wrath I think that come from the belief that Blizzard hasnt made a quality story or good lore since the RTS games. So when the RTS story ended with the end of LK all you have left is the crappy WoW lore they made up to fill space.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    You must be joking, there was next to no story involved in TBC, all the story happened in WC3 and when TBC came out we just went and put the bad guys down.
    Burning legion story was epic

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 01:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    1: TBC barely had progression nor connection

2: Vanilla had even less connection.

3: MoP has a lot more than the Sha, pay attention.
    ahahaha pandas running everywhere

no villain

no story

The story was supposed to be war between alliance and horde, which has not yet happened, and doubtful will happen in MOP.

Sorry to tell you the truth, but MOP is a joke.

I can't really decide between WotLK and MoP.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Burning legion story was epic

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 01:54 AM ----------

no villain

no story

The story was supposed to be war between alliance and horde, which has not yet happened, and doubtful will happen in MOP.

Have....have you even been paying attention? Or do you only come to mmo-champ to bitch and complain?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

no villain

no story

Bud, just because you skip quest text doesn't mean it isn't there.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Burning Crusade was just so interesting to me.

I say Wrath for the sole purpose of the story flowed very nicely together, Everything was influenced by either the LK or Yogg'saron (2 big bads of wrath)

Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wotlk had the most in depth and comprehensive, thought-out story. But honestly, (and i know this is extremely cliche) Illidan's character proved to be the most interesting character for me (of the characters whom expansion stories have been based upon so far) to follow the story of.

BC's pretty wretched plotlines, to me, ended up being more interesting than Wotlk's because of better character development.

The Lich King was a faceless entity that, outside of the sad story of good-to-evil, really had no bearing. Too arch-villany, and so little character development that he almost felt like a James Bond villain or something. And the protagonists were just as static unchanging faceless entities of good and purity that it gave me no emotional stake whatsoever.

On an moderately related note. Cataclym's finale of the Infinite Dragonflight plotline was perhaps the most disappointing thing I've seen in this game. Up until the underwhelming reveal they were perhaps the most interesting, and enigmatic (probably because of that fact), subplot in the game.

At least we can hope the Y'Sharj unveiling, and the continuation of the old god story that follows, doesn't disappoint.
    Last edited by SaltLakeAtrocity; 2013-02-17 at 03:43 AM.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    Bud, just because you skip quest text doesn't mean it isn't there.
    Alliance horde war was supposed to be the story of the expansion. You are telling me it is buried in some quest text. Get real, bro!

Alliance horde war was supposed to be the story of the expansion. You are telling me it is buried in some quest text. Get real, bro!
    Lich King was supposed to be the story of Wrath yet we had the blue aspect going mad and Ulduar to deal with. Illidan was suppose to be the story of TBC yet we had many other villains to deal with, and even someone after him.
    5.1 has been the start of the war, yet you ignore it, like everything else.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

tough one....BC for me just barely edges out wrath story, the apointing of a new lich king, naxx 2.0 and and crusader tourny kind of killed it for me