Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Why are people even discussing this? If you feel like marrying, do it. If you don't, then don't.

If you don't want to marry, then don't judge others for doing so, and vice versa. It's a common tradition and unless you live in the US, there's no reason to do that unless for the tradition of it.

Higher Tax Brackets, more tax discounts, potential higher credit score, higher loan approvals, lower bills from having combined finances, Visitation rights in Jail/Hospitalization, Immigration and residency benefits, Eligibility for insurance under spouse even if you would not be covered by yourself, Discounts for insurance, "family" discounts for any number of services, Government benefits in the event of your spouses death like Social Security, Medicare, Veterans benefits, Property and Inheritance Rights, Federal and some Privet Employee Benefits, (such as pensions, retirement plans, Sick leave, Maternity Leave, ect) Child Custody Rights, Being able to get a crap ton of stuff for free at your wedding/shower, being able to start sentences with "my wife..." having a companion through lives hardships that is tied to you in a more meaningful way that just being "your girl"
    and biased on surveyed results,

More likely to live longer
    More likely to be physically healthier
    More likely to be mentally healthier
    More likely to be happier
    Recover from illness quicker and more successfully
    Generally, take better care of themselves and avoid risky behavior

and everything listed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_..._United_States

from personal experience, i have had a kidney disease since i was 7, i was denied personal health insurance, now that i am married i am covered for major medical/dental and vision. this would not have been possible if i where still single.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Was there a good reason before? News to me.
    Because you wanted to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    5 women on the side...You didn't come to show off here right?
    Yeah ms Palmer and her 5 daughters
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    1. I get sex on a regular basis.
    Nothing to do with marriage
    2. don't have the annoyance of a woman calling my house all day.
    Nothing to do with marriage
    3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.
    Nothing to do with marriage, I don't know where you get the idea, my girlfriend works as much as I do, and she still would after marriage.

Listing 3 points that have no influence over marriage, and the other way around make for a good basis to a discussion

the reason I bring is up is because, I've been talking to this girl for a while (I also have 5 women on the side) and she's trying to judge me saying. every man should get married at some point in his life. this I feel is very judgmental and wrong, what do you all think? also she's bringing up the baby conversations, ridiculous.
    It's her right to see things this way, as it is your right to see it otherwise, marriage is highly dependant of "the idea" everyone has of it. (as it is never really defined what a marriage really is, besides the definitions in relation to laws)
    Maybe she just wants to find out how serious you are about everything (for that marriage serves well, as normally, reasonable people get married when they are serious) or if you have 5 other women on the side.
    She may just not have the feeling you are that much commited to a relationship with her (as do I from the saying "I've been talking to this girl for a while" doesn't really speak much of a relationship).

I mean, I never really talked much with my girlfriend about marriage, but she knows that if she wanted to, asking would be enough, done deal. (Same with children) But right now we just don't want/need to. (As in Switzerland, you have a financial disadvantage when married, unless you have children, because the taxbreaks only come with children, and a married couple that files taxes together normally pay more than individuals)
    Last edited by DieFichte; 2013-02-18 at 12:02 AM.

Well... you pay less in taxes. And you can sometimes get a house cheaper and stuff like that. Also it is good if you have kids. Kids with divorced parents normally do worse than kids with parents who stay together. So i guess it is a good way to agree on settling down and have kids when you get married. But if you still feel like living your life as a free man/woman then there is really no reason to get married.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    1 Corinthians 7. All the reason needed to either marry or not marry.
    This.

The sad thing about modern society is... the special meaning of marriage have been lost today. Many people today are just in for themselves rather than in for others. Not just that... many people today think marriage = less taxes, which is bullsh*t reason to get marry. It should be all about love, a geniue love.

10+ Year Old Account
    My humble opinion: I like the ideal of loyalty and commitment, and marriage is one way to demonstrate this. With the understanding that anything can be argued one way or another (strongly or otherwise is another story)--this is why some people choose to get married. If marriage doesn't work for you, then it doesn't. That simple. I'm not good at understanding why people insist that their viewpoint is the only correct one, so not sure why this woman is trying to judge you for your stance. Then again (I say this with all respect), you're judging her viewpoint in a way too, but c'est la vie, hein?

Except because um, I dunno, you love a person and want to spend the rest of your life with them. What a shocking reason to get married!

3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.
    LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Le prenuptial agreement. It's basically like marriage EULA.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 03:39 PM ----------

Unfortunately that doesn't apply everywhere. In my state such contracts are not recognised as valid in divorce proceedings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix80 View Post
    This.

The sad thing about modern society is... the special meaning of marriage have been lost today. Many people today are just in for themselves rather than in for others. Not just that... many people today think marriage = less taxes, which is bullsh*t reason to get marry. It should be all about love, a geniue love.
    "Special meaning". Hah. Marriage has always been an economic contract at its core, for the purposes of exchanging property - up until recently, said property was the woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do what you want and...your OP makes me feel....uncomfortable.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    "Special meaning". Hah. Marriage has always been an economic contract at its core, for the purposes of exchanging property - up until recently, said property was the woman.
    That's where we disagree. God invented marriage and have been since the days of Adam and Eve. If you want to view marriage as an "economic" then you really don't understand the real meaning of marriage. Not much I can do nor will try to convict you to change your views on marriage. I, for one, embrace the idea of marriage.

Infracted: Please refrain from bringing god into the discussion, regardless of the nature of the topic, that goes against the rules.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-18 at 08:04 AM.

lower taxes
    default power of attorney
    "next of kin" - there are more times than you think when this comes into play
    access to the use of two credit scores when applying for loans

now, if they'd just get rid of all the marriage terminology and just make it, insofar as the state is concerned, a Civil Union contract wherein you could apply it to ANYONE YOU CHOOSE, that would be excellent. leave "Marriage" to the churches, regardless of which one you choose to belong to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix80 View Post
    That's where we disagree. God invented marriage and have been since the days of Adam and Eve. If you want to view marriage as an "economic" then you really don't understand the real meaning of marriage. Not much I can do nor will try to convict you to change your views on marriage. I, for one, embrace the idea of marriage.
    I really can't tell if this is serious or not.

Marriage is about as religious as apple pie. (As in, not very).
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    If two men or two women are getting married, neither of these are problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    If two men or two women are getting married, neither of these are problems.
    Ethos, wanna get hitched? Vegas wedding.

no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!

1. I get sex on a regular basis.

the reason I bring is up is because, I've been talking to this girl for a while (I also have 5 women on the side) and she's trying to judge me saying. every man should get married at some point in his life. this I feel is very judgmental and wrong, what do you all think? also she's bringing up the baby conversations, ridiculous.
    Maybe she is trying to say stop being a slut? But with five women, you still should have a woman calling your house all day. Unless you are just their side piece to meet their needs when their real boyfriends can't or won't.

And some men like the idea of being able to support their wife so she does not have to work. Maybe for you there is no good reason to get married but for some other person there may be a world of reason.

while i dont agree with the whole religious angle, i feel marriage absolutely can have a special meaning. it has as much meaning as the couple put into it
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.