Poll: Do you wish item databases were never online?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What if there were no WoW item Data bases?

Would you perfer there be no WoW item Databases? No way to look up where an item drops and the drop rate?
    I just ask because i would, i feel knowing and being able to type in any item and see where it drops takes alot of the mystery out of the game. I imagine it where people would still be trying to fish up ashbringer because the book in AV, or trying to kill LK for Frostmourne non-stop. It may just be me but maybe others feel the same way, do you think wow would benefit without Databases online and data miners?
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The days when we only had word-of-mouth for Wow-related information now feel like the Dark Ages. If you wanted to know how to kill a boss, you had to sort out his mechanics and wipe over and over or find someone else that had already done so and was willing to share strategy. I much prefer having the answers to everything available before the content is even available.
    Last edited by Slummish; 2013-02-18 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    The days when we only had word-of-mouth for Wow-related information now feel like the Dark Ages.
    Wasn't it an extra layer of fun though?
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The days when we only had word-of-mouth for Wow-related information now feel like the Dark Ages.
    What days? Thottbot and Allakhazam existed since launch, if not even since beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there were no wow databases then someone would create one.

You do realize you are asking this question on a website that came about from a secondary community of wow players who also created the databases you seem to dislike so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    Wasn't it an extra layer of fun though?
    It was part of the fun... I guess. But that kind of fun only lasts so long.

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    What days? Thottbot and Allakhazam existed since launch, if not even since beta.
    Allakhazam was semi-useful, but thott? Come on, that was like the blind leading the blind. Thott was little more than a bunch of idiots saying, "_____________ dropped for me tonight, I'm so awesome."

15+ Year Old Account
    Research can be fun sometimes. I like things as they are more than as they were.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Allakhazam was around during EQ1 days, long before WoW, and was SUPERBLY helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember printing off a 30 page guide to do a legendary quest chain for the first mmo i played...was actually rather fun and added to the adventure... "follow the road out of the town until you hit the crossroads then travel south until you find the zombies pass through the zombies until you get to the werewolfs and kill them to collect a rare hide"...imagine 30 pages of this :S

Now i have wowhead and if i'm stuck on a quest i have a map to show me where i am and what i need to do, if i don't understand the main bit i can just check the comments..Not really as exciting as before >.<

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let me suggest something else that just occured to me.

Imagine that existed no WoW databases, and that items couldn't be datamined (don't ask me how). But imagine that, once a single character discovered a new item, that item would appear automatically in a wow database site (owned by Blizz, of course), a public site, where anyone could search/view the item. Let's even go further and say that, besides the public web site, could there be a search window inside the very game where you could also search for items, exactly like the website, but also in-game.

Would that be a better alternative?
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Deleted
    I preferred the time without databases. At launch Thottbot and the likes weren't extremely useful, there was little info on droprates, tactics, talents, etc. I loved that time, where everyone was new and in the dark, no one to curse at you for asking a simple question. Of course we can never go back, but I did love that time more then this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    If there were no wow databases then someone would create one.

You do realize you are asking this question on a website that came about from a secondary community of wow players who also created the databases you seem to dislike so much?
    Im not saying i dislike them, i use them all the time but imagine that they didn't exist and no one could data mine. All the info is just speculation and word of mouth.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted No. Like all other things, you're not required to look stuff up if it's more fun for you not to do so.

For the rest of us, at a certain frustration level, I'd rather stop wandering around looking for something I can't find and just go and look it up. Not knowing is fun sometimes. The databases are there for the other times.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Allakhazam was semi-useful, but thott? Come on, that was like the blind leading the blind. Thott was little more than a bunch of idiots saying, "_____________ dropped for me tonight, I'm so awesome."
    Didn't change that you could look up items and their drop locations if you wanted, and Thottbot was accurate enough for "regular" drops, and only got messy with the rare drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    Voted No. Like all other things, you're not required to look stuff up if it's more fun for you not to do so.

For the rest of us, at a certain frustration level, I'd rather stop wandering around looking for something I can't find and just go and look it up. Not knowing is fun sometimes. The databases are there for the other times.
    Im talking kind've like an alternative world where WoW item DB's were never invented and items not Dataminable. So people wouldn't be missing a feature, quest logs would still be there and map points when questing. When your looking for something you can still see where other people say items were at its just not like WoWhead where its X mob drops this 17%.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

IMO wow should have an item database built in kinda like how there's a dungeon journal should have an item journal

i used to be of the opinion that finding hints and tips on the internet was cheating, or using walkthrough guides was cheating.

but nowadays, nobody cares, theres video guides, written tutorials and in depth theorycrafting that map out exactly how to play a game to it's maximum potential. which if you dont follow, you get called a noob.

it's a wonder how anyone expects to actually get anywhere in life, if everytime you face a challenge, your first step to overcoming it, is to look up someone elses solution online.

if only this was limied to videogames, but unfortunately, it's not. the world is gonna get dumber and dumber as people realise there is no longer a need to learn, as you can find the answer to everything online.
    <insert witty signature here>

Would you perfer there be no books? No way to look up where a piece of knowledge discovered by somebody else?
    I just ask because i would, i feel knowing and being able to type in question and see information about takes alot of the mystery out of the world. I imagine it where people would still be trying to find turtle that earth stands on, or trying to reach india from another side of ocean non-stop. It may just be me but maybe others feel the same way, do you think earth would benefit without knowledge?
    No, thank you.

Im not saying i dislike them, i use them all the time but imagine that they didn't exist and no one could data mine. All the info is just speculation and word of mouth.
    As long as the information is at some point available to the, a database can be created from it. Since you have to make the information available to the player at some point, this cannot be prevented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im talking kind've like an alternative world where WoW item DB's were never invented and items not Dataminable. So people wouldn't be missing a feature, quest logs would still be there and map points when questing. When your looking for something you can still see where other people say items were at its just not like WoWhead where its X mob drops this 17%.
    But then we wouldn't be in pandaria, because we would still be searching for Mankriks wife!