Poll: Which Installment of WoW Provided the Best Story?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I can't believe so many people picked MoP. Maybe just because it's new. But I guess opinions are opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    I'm not following where people get this great alliance vs horde story in MOP. There have been very few happenings that one could call a war or a story. It's so barren and sad, I believe most players who talk about great story in MOP did not play in previous expansions and just breezed through them while power-leveling.
    Before you jump down my throat for responding to a comment for yours Killidan, I just got back from class and opened my computer and came here. It's ironic you're the one who wrote what I'm responding to.

OT:

I'm pretty sure you quit WoW, but I have no idea when so I don't know if you actually levelled through any of the zones in Pandaria or if you've even played in 5.1.

I'll say the only zones in the initial Pandaria zones where I felt the war that you don't see is apparent was in Jade Forest and Kun Lai Summit.

The entire reason only those zones have the war being apparent there is because, and Blizzard even said it after 5.1 came out was because Blizzard wanted to introduce Pandaria and give each zone its own part in giving Pandaria a story and background, and also having you figure out what is truly worth fighting for.

In Jade Forest, the war is apparent: it's the entire main storyline for the zone, and it's what causes the Sha to outbreak across Pandaria, along with introducing the Mogu into the playing field as well.

In Kun Lai, both sets of forces are more-so regrouping and trying to gain the Pandaren on their faction's side so that they can have the edge in this new land.

After that, your main goal in Pandaria is simply mopping up the problems each faction has done to the continent itself. Our main enemies from there are the Mogu, the Mantid, and the Sha, who we actually unleashed.

In 5.1, that's when I, personally, really felt the Alliance vs Horde storyline.

There's an entire new subzone now in Krasarang Wilds, and fighting Alliance soldier after Alliance solider, along with a multitude of Players, really made me feel like the war had finally come to Pandaria and the story had officially taken off.

The entire reason people have been saying Mists has had the best story telling is also due to 5.1, and 5.0's ground work to lay out the rest of the Patches.

5.1 included stories like the Dalaran Crisis, Garrosh's descent into madness, the Horde falling apart, the Alliance growing in following behind Varian, etc.

The Blood Elves really came into their own, with Lorthemar for example actually becoming a favorite in the Horde Leaders due to his developments in such a patch.

That's where the war is apparent specifically for me at least.

An entire patch devoted to it is what really did it for me, and the fantastic storytelling in such a Patch, along with the initial story in 5.0, is what really make Mists' story fantastic.

I dunno if you'll understand why so many people find the story so apparent and great now, but maybe you can just understand our opinions differ, and there we can understand one another a bit more when it comes to Mists and its story.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrate View Post
    I can't believe so many people picked MoP. Maybe just because it's new. But I guess opinions are opinions.
    Just read the entire response I just constructed. That's what did it for me, and I've heard a multitude of people feel the same about 5.1.
    Last edited by Mawnix; 2013-02-18 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Blizzard went overboard with the pop culture references in Cata. Pop culture references are fine, just don't base whole story lines on them! I did like the Rambo quest line in Redridge though

Mists is a nice change of pace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath, probably followed by MoP now

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Before you jump down my throat for responding to a comment for yours Killidan, I just got back from class and opened my computer and came here. It's ironic you're the one who wrote what I'm responding to.

OT:

I'm pretty sure you quit WoW, but I have no idea when so I don't know if you actually levelled through any of the zones in Pandaria or if you've even played in 5.1.
    Destil,

You do the same as usual. Instead of discussing an idea, you pick a target and unload personal comments about the poster.

For the record, I did play MOP, have a 90 main and I still play until my sub expires in few weeks.

Destil,

You can stop spreading lies about posters whose opinions you disagree with. If you think your arguments are weak to counter theirs and you feel that you need to resort to attacking other posters credibility, DON'T.

Destil,

You do the same as usual. Instead of discussing an idea, you pick a target and unload personal comments about the poster.

For the record, I did play MOP, have a 90 main and I still play until my sub expires in few weeks.

Destil,

You can stop spreading lies about posters whose opinions you disagree with. If you think your arguments are weak to counter theirs and you feel that you need to resort to attacking other posters credibility, DON'T.
    Wait, what? What're you talking about?

It came off to me that you didn't play anymore, and all I was saying was that I didn't think you played 5.1?

What're you talking about that I'm spreading lies? Can we not discuss this civilly? Just read my post and respond to it.

All I was guessing was that you were unsubbed. Christ.

I'm not attacking your credibility in the slightest.

The only thing I was doing was explaining why myself and a few others like Mists' story so much. o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Wait, what? What're you talking about?

It came off to me that you didn't play anymore, and all I was saying was that I didn't think you played 5.1?

What're you talking about that I'm spreading lies? Can we not discuss this civilly? Just read my post and respond to it.

All I was guessing was that you were unsubbed. Christ.

I'm not attacking your credibility in the slightest.

The only thing I was doing was explaining why myself and a few others like Mists' story so much. o_O
    Just dont even bother with this guy, put him on ignore. Your response is very respectable and none agressive, This guy just has a stick up his ass about WoW so if anyone has a differant opinion regarding the game, its comes out has an attack to him. Anything you say wont change how he thinks. Ignore him, its not worth it .

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Just dont even bother with this guy, put him on ignore. Your response is very respectable and none agressive, This guy just has a stick up his ass about WoW so if anyone has a differant opinion regarding the game, its comes out has an attack to him. Ignore him, its not worth it .
    If you insist. I'm just trying to be civil about it.

OT: I'm curious how the story telling may evolve in the next expansion.

The techniques they've used with Mists have worked very well, and if they can create an actual villain, whether it be Kil Jaeden, or Azshara, or N'zoth, whoever it might be, that isn't War and is as compelling at Arthas, the story may be in its prime next expansion.

Don't think Im trouncing on Mists having its villain be War and Garrosh, but having an actual villain on the Box Art like Wrath or Cataclysm is basically what I mean by it.

Been playing 2004-2013. Wrath of the Lich King no question. I feel like BC had amazing potential with Illidan and stuff but they were still new to the storytelling technologies and it missed the mark. Even with the raid design... Heroic LK is still the most epic fight in all of WoW. Even when I pug it to do a mount run, I still see 90s wiping to the mechanics. This might sound cliche and completely opinionated, but to me the World of Warcraft's momentum died with Arthas.

1-10 Scale

Wrath: 9
    Burning Crusade: 7
    Mists of Pandaria: 6
    Cataclysm: 5
    Vanilla: 3

Surprisingly, I feel I can transfer that list directly over to the opening cinematics for each of the Expansions and it would be about the same. What you notice is it almost directly relates to personality of the villain. I did play WC3 as well, so I think maybe I'm unique in that my ratings were influenced by well established characters.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2013-02-18 at 04:33 PM.

Wrath by far. The titans, the scourge, the argent crusade, questing in Icecrown (awesome even if you were at the level cap!) . . . and let's not forget one of the best villians of any genre or story telling type (books, video games, movies, etc) in Arthas.

Heck, even the trailer itself was the best story telling trailers ever (not just in WoW).

MoP is a a distant second, not because it isn't good (in fact it's quite wonderful), just that it doesn't have the magic that the LK story could bring.

BC is a distant third from there. Interesting story, but really Blizz was just learning how to tell a story like that. Also, was kind of disjointed at times. Still very good.

Didn't play Vanilla at max level 60 so I can't say there.

Cata was an abomination. Truly terrible. I remember seeing how they did the trailer at Blizzcon and thinking "oh god this looks horrible, like a monster truck rally commercial". Everyone else seemed to like the trailer, so I thought "ok, maybe I'm just missing something here." Turns out I wasn't. Paper thin villain "Muwahahaha Me BAD GUY DEATHWING!", terrible plot holes ("Deathwing is channeling the final cataclysm, quick kill him" . . . um, why didn't he do that BEFORE we ambushed him with the Dragon Soul??), and story threads that went nowhere (Tol'Vir were awesome!!! WTF happened to them?? Throne of Tides . . . we never get an ending to it seriously??? Not even a max level 5 man?? Horde gains the Dragonmaw Clan, and we NEVER see them again???).

Yeah so TLDR:

Wrath >>> MoP >> BC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Worst movie you've ever seen > Cata

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH! WotLK good? That made me laugh. You won't say that if you actually played WC3 and know how much Blizzard butchered Scourge's lore in WotLK. I can't help but laugh at wrath babies who don't know shit about Warcraft's lore and think WotLK was good because LK just looks cool without even knowing what happened before WotLK and how Blizz messed it up in WotLK.
    Not sure if you just wanted to strike back at the person you quoted, or really mean that. While WotLK's lore is not as good as the RTS games, it still stood out over the other expansions (atleast imo). The poll does say that WotLK has the best lore by quite a lot voters.

The lore in the RTS games was brilliant, its pretty hard to top that. I do personally enjoy some of MoP's new lore, but they still cannot complete to the RTS games imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    BC had the most potential, but failed hard with presentation. Some of the franchise's most lore-rich and iconic characters were turned into raving, evil monsters with no proper explanation whatsoever for the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Just dont even bother with this guy, put him on ignore. Your response is very respectable and none agressive, This guy just has a stick up his ass about WoW so if anyone has a differant opinion regarding the game, its comes out has an attack to him. Anything you say wont change how he thinks. Ignore him, its not worth it .
    Please do put me on ignore. I don't want to see you spew insults or destil to stalk me on forums again.

Please do put me on ignore. I don't want to see you spew insults or destil to stalk me on forums again.
    I''ll do that to, thanks for advice. Your posts are horrible.

As for story, Wrath is very good, but storytelling sucked. Nexus war line was rather silly, we never really seen Azjol Nerub, Crystalsong were a wasted opportunity and whole "Lich King is toying with you" gets annoying rather fast. On the other hand, Titan lore was amazing and Wrathgate happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    No expansion has really progressed the Warcraft story all that much... they've all been backstory/wrapping up story from WCIII.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath of The Lich King

LK was such an amazing villain, I remember seeing ICC for the first time and it was so epic. Probably because it felt like "this is it, this is where you defeat the Lich King, this is what everything has been leading up to."
    He had a great story, and I personally was satisfied but at the same time like "wtf O_o" at the ending cinematic. It was disturbing and chilling but at the same time quite epic (for lack of a better word) and I thought it wrapped things up well enough (better than Cata, at least...). I do want to see what is happening with the scourge and Bolvar, though. There are still a few loose ends in wotlk.
    Great story nevertheless ^_^
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

Deleted
    BC - Illidan was my favourite character EVAR, it was very, how can i put this, good characters trying to do whats best then turning evil, which is why Northrend & the lich king is a close 2nd.

Deleted
    WOTLK. Mograine family story is pure epic.

WotLK, it's obvious if you have played Wc3:RoC and Wc3:Tft.

LK had the best story, although Landfall had probably my favorite questline I've ever played.