View Poll Results: If Demon Hunters are implemented, what kind of class would they be?

Voters
141. This poll is closed
  • Like the WC3 hero and DPS melee only

47 33.33%
  • Like the Diablo 3 class

12 8.51%
  • A combination of WC3 and Diablo 3

31 21.99%
  • Something different than WC3 and D3 versions

21 14.89%
  • I have no idea!

30 21.28%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    They have been thinking about another Ranged weapon class for a good while. This would allow better weapon itemization for hunters as well which is a big issue.
    Where/when did Blizzard say that? In any case, I have the armor issue largely covered. I just don't feel that bows and crossbows work with Demon Hunters in WoW. We clearly have the Illidan-style DH in the game. I just can't reconcile that theme with the DH theme from D3.

Instead of having hunters, rogues, warriors, priests, and mages. we could just combine them into:

Rogue + Mage = the glass cannon

War + Priest = the immortal

hunter + mage = mr identity crisis

Years ago I installed mangos and had my rogue learn two handed weapons and mage spells. It isnt all its cracked up to be. Trust me its good like it is today. We do not need anymore classes. what void could we really fill?

I think what we really are craving is uniqueness to our classes that give us more unique specializations and depth of customization into abilities.

Deleted
    It can't.. let it go already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    DH Ranged DPS with bows is Diablo lore, not Warcraft lore. A DH using Bows/Xbows doesn't exist in Warcraft.
    So, only certain opinions are valid when theorycrafting about DH in Wow. Ok. Gotcha.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Not sure its needed really, just more stuff to balance its not like it bring something new. I would prefer more fresh and now stuff.

Haven't voted as none of those apply to my views.
    No offense, but how would a new class not be "something new"? Also, as the OP said tbis thread is not about whether or not demon hunters would be actually added, but theoretically how they COULD work.

i want the 'Tinker' from WC3. Could use another ranged physical dps class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    So, only certain opinions are valid when theorycrafting about DH in Wow. Ok. Gotcha.
    It's not really about opinions, it's about common sense. If D3 DHs don't exist in Warcraft or WoW what basis would they have to exist in WoW?

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 05:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    i want the 'Tinker' from WC3. Could use another ranged physical dps class.
    Check out my tinker class link in my sig. Let me know what you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    You're trying way too hard here to pigeon-hole the DH into being purely the 4 abilities and 1 model from WC3. Probably to justify this shifting into a "well if warlocks have metamorphosis, we can't have Demon Hunter" discussion.
    This seems to be what many people are doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    He was clear. There wont be a demon hunter class.

Now about a bard or tinker though... those would work perfectly and will probably be implemented.

Looking forward a tinker especially.

Mail , ranged dps class based on eng+ turrets.
    Who was clear?
    Welcome to America. Here is your corrupt politician, complementary gun, and your fixed news. Hope you enjoy your stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't we have a quest that changes all the hunters around the warcraft universe into demon hunters. Make alot more sense

Bread and butter of WarCraft's DH is Metamorphsis. And since that was given to Warlocks and made a stable of the Demo spec, I don't ever see DHs becoming a full fledged class.

Perhaps if they ever add 4th specs to the game, a "Demon Hunter" could be the Hunter's 4th spec. Making them able to train and tame less intelligent demons, and giving them a variety of D3-DH like abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't object to Demon Hunters using ranged weapons like bows, long as you cover them in nice green magical fire when you use 'em, but I'm leery of tying the class or even a spec into the used of ranged weaponry. You couldn't do it across all specs - the class theme simply doesn't lend itself to being purely ranged DPS. You'd lose all the WC3 appeal that makes the class idea so popular in the first place.

DH's using bows or guns as vessels for their magical power in the same way that glaives are is cool. I have no interest in them having any of the D3 Demon Hunter's abilities - they seem almost wholly non-magical. They'd be better served in a hunter spec, as some have suggested.

since they took out holy dmg, i would very much like to see a class doing either pure dmg(what holy basically was) or mechanical dmg(tinker-like). would be a nice change.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Where/when did Blizzard say that? In any case, I have the armor issue largely covered. I just don't feel that bows and crossbows work with Demon Hunters in WoW. We clearly have the Illidan-style DH in the game. I just can't reconcile that theme with the DH theme from D3.
    I am thinking of a cross though, a ranged weapon using spec that specializes in Shadow, Fire and Frost damage with a little bit of physical. They can still use the classic DH dual wield and then have a tank spec of some sort.

3 specs

Dual wield DPS spec
    Ranged melee DPS spec
    Tank dual wield spec
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2013-02-19 at 08:31 PM.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Really... how about a new class that will shoot goblins out of his shield, slam enemies by summoning mammoths above them, dual-wield bows, cast rainbow spells and wear plate armor, but only on head and knees. What? Makes just as much sense as a demon hunter for me. The game has to keep at least a small semblence of realism, or else the basics turn into an abstraction and everything descends into madness.
    You compare your example of a circus act to a well-established facet of WoW lore? There's no semblence of realism in any capacity with undead beings living in underground cities. I see you personally don't like Demon Hunters but to say they don't make sense in a fantasy world they are firmly established in is purely ignorance.

The game has to keep at least a small semblence of realism, or else the basics turn into an abstraction and everything descends into madness.
    This is a game that sends us dragons. In our mailboxes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    You compare your example of a circus act to a well-established facet of WoW lore? There's no semblence of realism in any capacity with undead beings living in underground cities. I see you personally don't like Demon Hunters but to say they don't make sense in a fantasy world they are firmly established in is purely ignorance.
    Occam's razor. Undead living in underground cities takes just one assumption - that undead can exist. Living underground is also not much of a stretch, considering that darkness and claustrophobia is not much of a deal to undead. Demon hunters would need lots of assuptions. That warglaives suddenly become effective weapons, that fighting without armor will make sense (despite the rest of the world utilizing armor; also that the rest of the world would never adopt the same means of defense that comfortably make armor obsolete), that someone will discover Sargeras' way of creating "magic-vision eyes" and start mass manufacturing them, but give them only to a specific class, that a very limited, specific and forgotten trade, employed only by Illidan and a handful of his followers will suddenly find competent teachers, popularity and demand in a world that already has other classes fulfilling every their role and function...

Demon hunters are kind of established, yes, but they are extremely specific. They are not "firmly" established, they are on the level of "well, there is such an obscure and exotic thing, somewhere". They have the same right to be popular as, say, spellbreakers. Even Illidan himself hasn't done much as a demon hunter, his accomplishments are those of a powerful warlock/mage. And this class would never be anything new. Fel magic, metamorphosis? Warlocks got it covered. Anti-magic? Dispel is quite common. Fast dual-wielding melee? Like, warriors, rogues, and even death knights and shamans are not enough.

10+ Year Old Account

Demon hunters are kind of established, yes, but they are extremely specific. They are not "firmly" established, they are on the level of "well, there is such an obscure and exotic thing, somewhere". They have the same right to be popular as, say, spellbreakers. Even Illidan himself hasn't done much as a demon hunter, his accomplishments are those of a powerful warlock/mage. And this class would never be anything new. Fel magic, metamorphosis? Warlocks got it covered. Anti-magic? Dispel is quite common. Fast dual-wielding melee? Like, warriors, rogues, and even death knights and shamans are not enough.
    Well to be fair, we could look at Demon Hunter's relationship to Warlocks the same way Paladins are related to Priests. Two very different classes that are fueled by the same magic type.

The method to the madness is creating a class that is unique to the game, yet making sure they fit into the game's universe.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I am thinking of a cross though, a ranged weapon using spec that specializes in Shadow, Fire and Frost damage with a little bit of physical. They can still use the classic DH dual wield and then have a tank spec of some sort.

3 specs

Dual wield DPS spec
    Ranged melee DPS spec
    Tank dual wield spec
    Okay, and how would this class work exactly? A bit more detail would be helpful.

1) They probably won't be implemented as their signature moves are all prominently possessed by other classes. Basically, in WoW terms a Demon Hunter is a kind of Night Elf Warlock.

2) If they were implemented they'd have to resemble their Warcraft III incarnation to a great extent. How Blizzard could do that without removing Metamorphosis from Warlocks I have no idea.

3) A triple melee DPS spec is the last thing on earth Blizzard would want to add to the game. I suspect they'd have to be tank/DPS (presumably melee). The last thing WoW needs is any more melee specs.

4) Of course they would be nothing like D3's "Demon Hunters" those are completely different things. The only thing they have in common is the name. Are WoW's Rogues anything like the Rogue from Diablo/Diablo 2? Silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Blizz shot themselves in the foot not making a Demon Hunter class back in BC.