Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I cant play anything other than melee in 3rd person. Bows are too in accurate and Spells are no better. Melee is easy in 3rd person.

i cant even do melee properly in 3rd person lol, end up missing half my attacks and swing at the air, ive always played in first person, just cant do 3rd person.

The ES series supports first person but not so much third person. ESO is supposed to mainly be supporting third person. So hopefully, if we have to play in third person, it will be easier than attempting to do it in Skyrim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    The ES series supports first person but not so much third person. ESO is supposed to mainly be supporting third person. So hopefully, if we have to play in third person, it will be easier than attempting to do it in Skyrim.

yes im expecting improvments to 3rd person mode in ESO if its being designed to be played that way.

Hmm, I wonder if the focus on third person is there to one day bring it to a console. I say this because I have played most TES games on consoles, (I know I know, no mods, sue me and hang me if you must) and while first person works fine, I find it much easier to fight in third person. I find it especially easier to stick on targets that try to kite.

I'm guessing a lot of you play on PC, and it sounds like you prefer fighting in first person. Coincidence? Perhaps...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if the focus on third person is there to one day bring it to a console. I say this because I have played most TES games on consoles, (I know I know, no mods, sue me and hang me if you must) and while first person works fine, I find it much easier to fight in third person. I find it especially easier to stick on targets that try to kite.

I'm guessing a lot of you play on PC, and it sounds like you prefer fighting in first person. Coincidence? Perhaps...

ive only ever played console :P i cant play 3rd person on skyrim, i just cant seem to get it right, not sure why, im just use to 1st person. also, im kind of wanting this to have controller support, but not sure if it would work.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    My preference for 1st person is a little to do with attack accuracy (I use magic mostly) but the main reason is it shatters alot of my precious immersion, if my character cant see 180 degrees behind me then neither can I.

Regarding consoles the only thing ZOS has said is that they have no plans to make the game available on console. They aren't even looking into it.

The reason for third person focus in ESO is because of the mobs which can attack from any direction and the need to pay attention to what you are standing in... also known as not standing in the fire. It's hard to tell if you are standing in icky stuff when in first person pov.

As a side note, M'aiq should talk more.
    Last edited by Tabbycat; 2013-02-20 at 04:45 AM.

What they should have done is build the game from the ground up around being first person. Ya know, like how TES games are supposed to be. Honestly it's just too late now, they really shouldn't even support first person at all because it's just a sidethought to try to calm angry fans down about yet another thing they changed (unnecessarily) to make the game an MMO.

Let me qualify that "unnecessarily" comment before I get trolled by the usual suspects. There are plenty of things that have to change to take a game from single player to MMO, i.e. to reference a recent topic, stealing and crime. (Note I said "change" not "remove entirely because it's teh hard") Making the game third person is not a necessary change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    yes im expecting improvments to 3rd person mode in ESO if its being designed to be played that way.
    It's being made with an engine very similar to TOR. So expect it to look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    It's being made with an engine very similar to TOR. So expect it to look like that.
    They are drafting it in an engine that TOR bought when it was in beta. The game itself will not use the hero engine.

Also, swtor bought the hero engine when it was like 20% complete and was like "DUNT WURRY. WE GOTZ DIS". I'm not joking. The head of the dev team or w/e for the hero engine was like, "I... tried to tell them it was still in beta but they said they had enough programmers to throw at it..."
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    I don't get why people are crying over playing in first and third person perspectives.

Having both first and third person animations is going to take up a lot of the developers time and other content will suffer because of it. Playing in first person in an mmo isn't viable because you have to avoid stuff, i played a rogue in wow, you try and play as part of a group in first person and you will just be staring at a bosses arse and you won't be able to see a single thing around you, you will then become a hindrance to your group and take away their fun and whats fun about having a boss take up your entire screen?
    It's viable in an fps but not so much in dynamic boss fights, where you need to see all around you and work as a team.

I would love to see first person perspective in the game but it really would cause more problems than it solves.

So now it is clear that it will be another game for gamers. World of Warcraft did right choice targeting office machines which everyone has. So we can assume it to be another failure as you cannot have a MMO without players and gamers don't make it. People don't buy computers to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    So now it is clear that it will be another game for gamers. World of Warcraft did right choice targeting office machines which everyone has. So we can assume it to be another failure as you cannot have a MMO without players and gamers don't make it. People don't buy computers to play.
    Not entirely sure what you are trying to say here. Could you elaborate as to what exactly you mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesnt need 10 million subs to be a financial success. Theres plenty of gamers with gaming pcs, just look how popular steam is.

Most people who play MMOs have a standard office computer. Recent MMOs with such stupidity as lack of targeting require a player to have a gaming computer, with $300 videocard. Designing them in that way is just a money-grabbing scheme without intent to have a continuous revenue stream from such games. Just hit (2 million sales) and run (100k in a year). So far I don't see that one would be different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I cant play anything other than melee in 3rd person. Bows are too in accurate and Spells are no better. Melee is easy in 3rd person.
    ranged weapons and magic is soft targeted in ESO tho, so that wont be an issue :P

It's an mmo, first person works fine when you only got yourself and a few select enemies to worry about, but when you need to keep track of your group and at the same time avoid enviromental hazards that are very common in an mmo, it just wont work. As much as I love sniping people in with my bow in skyrim, I think third person is the best choice of focus for ESO.

Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    It doesnt need 10 million subs to be a financial success. Theres plenty of gamers with gaming pcs, just look how popular steam is.
    Very true. Especially considering no one has had 10 million subs. (if this has confused you, players are not the same thing as subscribers)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    Maybe I'm mis-understanding you but one does not need to own a gaming pc to have steam, nor to play a lot of the titles on it.

I would bet a sandwich most steam users are not sporting custom-built pcs...

Most people who play MMOs have a standard office computer. Recent MMOs with such stupidity as lack of targeting require a player to have a gaming computer, with $300 videocard. Designing them in that way is just a money-grabbing scheme without intent to have a continuous revenue stream from such games. Just hit (2 million sales) and run (100k in a year). So far I don't see that one would be different.
    And your comment is unfounded, as earlier in this thread someone linked an interview (I believe it was) that said they are wanting to optimise it to where you can play the game fine on a 5-year old computer, not just a gaming computer with a $300 video card. And like hiragana said, a game doesn't need 10 million subscribers to be a financial success. Why the fuck do people continue to compare everything to WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Maybe I'm mis-understanding you but one does not need to own a gaming pc to have steam, nor to play a lot of the titles on it.

I would bet a sandwich most steam users are not sporting custom-built pcs...
    Well ive not been keeping up on info for teso for a while so im not sure what the exact specs are, so if they are indeed crysis 3 level then sorry. Something like skyrim though does not need a beast pc to run well, my old pc which was a 4 years old prebuilt office pc with a £60 graphics card stuck in later ran skyrim fine. Skyrim is also constantly in the top sales list on steam, along with a lot of other games that have decent graphics. So yeah im sure a lot of people only play indie games with poor graphics, but theres a range between office pc and beast pc, id be willing to bet most steam customers fit somewhere in the middle.