Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rickhunterr View Post
    Here is the thread on the spell id concerning the GCD.

By Cialbi (11,422 – 3·9·90) on 2010/11/06 (Patch 4.0.1)
    This does trigger the GCD, for those of you who thought about putting this in a macro.

I just wish that Longevity would affect this, as it used to affect the CD of every ability that you found in the BM tree (these were Intimidation, Bestial Wrath, and The Beast Within pre-4.0.1). Still is an awesome ability.
    Last edited by Cialbi on 2010/11/06 (Patch 4.0.1)

upvote

downvote

Vitaropago on 2012/11/22 (Patch 5.0.5)
    Just to make it very clear: This does NOT trigger the GCD in Pandaria and can hence be put in a macro just fine. This ability is back on the GCD in 5.1.0

+

-

By BigRed (1,839 – 6·19) on 2011/11/01 (Patch 4.2.2)
    Given all the negative feelings about it being on the GCD, I wanted to add my 2 cents.

My current usage (no idea whether this is optimal) is to use this at the beginning of the fight: Serpent Sting, 2 Arcane Shot, and Kill Command exhaust my focus -- at this point I've the choice between firing a Cobra Shot or using Fervor.

The shot takes longer than the GCD and returns less focus, which means that I'll fire the next Arcane Shot or Kill Command later than if I used Fervor and would have to follow this up with another Cobra Shot.
    Using Fervor on the other hand means for instance firing off 3! additional Arcane Shots (given passive focus regeneration) before I have to use the first cobra shot.

+

-

By Isotropic (136 – 0) on 2010/12/20 (Patch 4.0.3)
    because its on the gcd it dosnt get that much use.. maybe use in bossfights for max dps?

+

-

By Adieu (483 – 3) on 2010/09/19 (Patch 3.3.5)
    Looks like Thistle Tea ( Thistle Tea ) for hunters. Costs only one point, a must have for both PvE and PvP in Cata
    Last edited by Adieu on 2010/09/19 (Patch 3.3.5)

+

-

By snow72 (585 – 6) on 2011/01/24 (Patch 4.0.3)
    if used on each cooldown this would give about 5% more focus regen. which is BAD, since hunters already have a reduced focus regen (60% of energy regen speed). this also costs 1 global cooldown so i don't know if the extra focus is actually worth in terms of DPS. it could have an use in pvp if you can't use those cobra shots, for extra burst.

still very bad compared to rogues 30% increased energy regen (which is like 10 times more powerfull.)

i'd like to see this changed into a flat +focus regeneration tbh

+

+1

-

By Neazy (4,884 – 4·63) on 2010/11/29 (Patch 4.0.3)
    Being on the GCD really sucks, and since the beast within only lasts 10 seconds you really can't afford to use 1 of the 10 GCD's on an ability that does no damage. Better to use it before you pop your cd's.

Edit: Since people are wondering, I'll add a little more info, even though there really isn't much to worry about with this ability. It restores 50 focus to you and your pet and that's it, so it's pretty straightforward: use it when you're low on focus and make sure you don't cap out. Try to use it early so you can use it as many times as possible in a fight. The only things you need to know are:

1) It's on the GCD. That means don't use it during TBW (like I already said above) and use it when your Kill Command has 1+ second left on its cooldown (so you don't delay your next KC by using this).
    2) Since it restores focus to your pet as well, the best time to use it would be when you and your pet are low on focus.

That means you can wait a little bit for your pet to get low on focus before you pop this, but don't wait too long; using this ability 3x in a fight is always better than using it 2x in a fight, even if your pet doesn't get the full benefit out of those 3 uses.
    Last edited by Neazy on 2011/11/04 (Patch 4.2.2)

upvote

downvote

BigRed on 2011/11/01 (Patch 4.2.2)
    I'm a bit surprised about this statement - unless you've completely burned all your focus immediately prior to The Beast Within (something that you'd have very much control over), the 50% focus reduction means that you never need any focus replenishment in the first place. From personal experience, the only things I press when under the effect are Arcane Shot and Kill Command, no Cobra Shot and therefore of course also no Fervor.

ROFLOLMAO! reading must be hard for ya man, did u even notice all the posts whining bout fervor on gcd is from patches 4.x where else posts in patches 5.x state its OFF the gcd. ROFL!!!! and agian there was a bug after 5.1 that made many think it was back on gcd but was fixed. so uhm, who's the fool? heres a protip actually play the game instead of believing everything you just glance at on the interwebz.
    Last edited by Valkryx; 2013-02-20 at 07:49 PM.

On or off GCD, Fervor gives you control on your focus, and it is priceless in SV

ok so back to the point is dire beast not the best choice for single target?

Quote Originally Posted by spiattalo View Post
    I don't see anything related to 5.1 and Fervor being on the GCD again.
    Why don't you do a Ctrl+F for "This ability is back on the GCD in 5.1.0" on this page then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Casual View Post
    ok so back to the point is dire beast not the best choice for single target?
    No.. Fervor is for SV.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Why don't you do a Ctrl+F for "This ability is back on the GCD in 5.1.0" on this page then.
    Oh, I remember it being off the GCD but if some random guy said that on some random website it must be true, how silly of me to doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    No.. Fervor is for SV.
    Dire Beast is the best choice for pure single target, the reason why it's so much ahead of Fervor for BM is that the damage from DB scales with Mastery and BM isn't focus starved due to BW granting 16 secs of "godmode" without the need for that much focus generation.

However the issue with DB is that; It's a PET. It has the same derpy AI, it has health with no AoE reduction, so it can die most of the time to stupid shit eg. Garalon Crush.

Even though DB is the theoretical Highest DPS for SV, ease of use and pure focus gain from Fervor is more appealing and can also help with getting off your ES, BA, SrS and aMoC at the start of the fight. Also I prefer that it is a high focus gain that you can control freely, if there are adds spawning in soon-ish(Empress is the perfect example) and fervor came off CD, save it and get some really high burst on the adds with Multi-shot spam.

OT: Fervor is MOST DEFINITELY off the GCD, has been since 5.0.1. It was changed way back in the BETA to be off the GCD when it was introduced as a talent. Ever since that, it has been off GCD.

i just ran several test playing in my gear hitting a dummy and i found ferver to be about a 1k DPS increase over DB.

its not a huge amount but the ability to drop a crows whenever makes it worth it.

I use Thrill because heroic T14 has been on farm for awhile now and I'm too lazy to change out of what I do dailies with.

The difference really only matters if you're balls deep in progression.
    Last edited by skitzy129; 2013-02-20 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spiattalo View Post
    Oh, I remember it being off the GCD but if some random guy said that on some random website it must be true, how silly of me to doubt that.
    I still think people don't get the point. To reiterate fervor doesn't invoke a GCD when cast. All those saying it's on the GCD are terribly misinformed. I'm going to put that comment as out of date on wowhead so people stop bringing this up. This has been brought up in so many threads it's ridiculous. Hunters should know better about their own ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Dire Beast is the best choice for pure single target, the reason why it's so much ahead of Fervor for BM is that the damage from DB scales with Mastery and BM isn't focus starved due to BW granting 16 secs of "godmode" without the need for that much focus generation.

However the issue with DB is that; It's a PET. It has the same derpy AI, it has health with no AoE reduction, so it can die most of the time to stupid shit eg. Garalon Crush.

Even though DB is the theoretical Highest DPS for SV, ease of use and pure focus gain from Fervor is more appealing and can also help with getting off your ES, BA, SrS and aMoC at the start of the fight. Also I prefer that it is a high focus gain that you can control freely, if there are adds spawning in soon-ish(Empress is the perfect example) and fervor came off CD, save it and get some really high burst on the adds with Multi-shot spam.

OT: Fervor is MOST DEFINITELY off the GCD, has been since 5.0.1. It was changed way back in the BETA to be off the GCD when it was introduced as a talent. Ever since that, it has been off GCD.
    Thrill of the hunt is the dedicated AoE talent, fervor is the in-between talent and DB is the single target talent imo. When most people go on a single target fight they roll BM except on H protectors which you either run ToTH or Fervor because the damage buff you get doesn't go to your dire beast.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2013-02-20 at 09:57 PM.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

I personally prefer Fervor over Dire Beast just due to how it smooths out certain windows like to get a Black Arrow or Murder of Crows up asap without worrying as much about Focus. Dire Beast should be better though.

But Thrill is pretty much the AoE talent.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2013-02-20 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickhunterr View Post
    In case you didn't know Fervor is on the GCD, so every time you use it you lose an attack. If you use it 15x thats 15 attacks you lost. ToTH is a proc and is not on the GCD, so it has no loss in DPS. If you are properly draining your focus in survival that chance of a proc at 100% focus is extremely rare. So to restate Fervor is a dps loss since it is on the gcd, and it should not even be considered.
    uhhh. Do you never reach below 20 focus? im calling bullshit on that, and if you dont then YOU are doing it wrong. You should be spamming the fuck out of Arcane Shot until you are below 20 when you have Fervor off Cd, this way you can pop fervor and get an explo/black/more arcanes off. From all of my parses, fervor shows a dps gain because well, i've had several world/US rank 1 dps kills using said spell. Walatip, Dont listen to guides, they are from players who suck at their class most of the time. And to clear it all up, try using Fervor and any other spell right after it, if you can... it is OFF GCD. If you use fervor and u have to wait 1 sec before using the next spell, then it is ON THE GCD. It is very much 100% OFF the GCD.

Deleted
    On a side note, are we completely sure Dire Beasts don't have the AoE dmg reduction pets have? I specifically tested it during Force and Verve in the heroic Imperial Vizier encounter tonight, I've seen it survive during that. And also during heroic Blade Lord's whirlwind thing.

Personally, I like less buttons so I run with TotH. I'm not making or breaking my guild runs. We aren't bleeding edge(6H dead) by any means.

Just gonna toss in a few comments here:

First up, bonafides (13/16 heroic): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eslis/advanced

I use fervor for soloing and for heroic.. blade lord...?(The 9 add boss fight with CC)
    - It is not on the gcd for me, nor does it *respect* the gcd. -- You can use it and then AMOC immediately without waiting 1sec for GCD... and by does not respect the GCD, I mean.. You can cast arcane, fervor BEFORE the gcd finishes, and be spamming AMOC while the gcd from arcane finishes. -- Rapidfire respects the GCD, if you cast arcane, you have to wait for the GCD to finish before you can cast rapid fire, even tho rapidfire itself causes no gcd.

To try to answer the OPs question;

Direbeast focus flow is smoother, and even tho its on the GCD, the smooth focus (more on smooth later), and the dmg the *pet* does, tends to have it outway the other 2 talents for dps. assuming no target switching//pet travel time issues.

Fervor is very good for aoe fights because multishot costs 40 focus (the largest focus cost for SV), but its drawbacks on a single target fight are focus capping... usually due to a locknload proc.. Now, you do the math and think, oh, this gives me 50 for focus then direbeast, thats more damage -- the problem is.. you have to math out the difference between arcane shot and cobra shot, cast times, and then work all that through +the pet dmg that the beast does.

The main issue with fervor is focus flow; if you push it too close to a LnL proc, you cap yourself out and can't get rid of the focus.. I honestly would love to see this as a 2minute cooldown, 10% dmg buff, WITH the focus boost, or something more long term for its use that you can prepare for, or that being focus capped is OK.. but as you just get a boost of focus.. unless timed properly, can screw yourself.. Hence the *smooth* focus flow from direbeast comment above.
    -note; DB supplys 5 focus every melee hit for 15 seconds -- due to pet haste stuff, this is generally 45 or 50 focus over 15 sec. Fervor is 50, +10 every 2 for 10sec. Must faster... Not necessarily better.

Its *VERY* close, and to most SV hunters, its a matter of personal preference. ATM Im using fervor for heroic protectors progression, because of the adds, the pet would travel all over the place and give me almost no focus.

With regards to Thrill of The Hunt; This is a TERRIBLE talent. If you thought fervor has issues with focus capping.. try getting 3 free arcane shots with a locknload proc.. and what happens if you get ANOTHER ToTH proc? wasted focus, wasted proc, useless piece of shit.
    - a caveat; I could see this talent being used in a pure, 100% aoe fight.. similar to the boss #4 in HoF... but the problem is, that fight has single target burn phases(heroic), where ToTH becomes a liability.

Conclusion; Pick DB or Fervor depending on your preference. I tend to pick DB over Fervor on any fight for the pets wont run around crazy... and if nothing changes in 5.2, scaling wise, then I will continue to do this.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Jaydenkor; 2013-02-20 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Thrill of the Hunt for everything. I see no noticeable difference in DPS between it and Fervor, but TotH is significantly easier to use and is much better for AoE situations, which is primarily where I use Survival anyways. If you're using Dire Beast as Survival, it probably means you shouldn't be Survival for that boss.

I use fervor over toth in SV because SV is a fairly crowded rotation with a 6s nuke, 24s DoT and a proc which negates that 6s window + costs 3 more GCDs to cast the 3 ES it gives you. With 4pc, you have ESs almost constantly. Having 3 more free AS tends to lead to munching charges of ToTH for me, and thus, isn't worth it, because even though it theoretically works out to 60 free focus every time you get a proc, you are more limited by the GCDs it costs than anything else. ToTH is only useful for 20 focus MSs in SV, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydenkor View Post
    With regards to Thrill of The Hunt; This is a TERRIBLE talent. If you thought fervor has issues with focus capping.. try getting 3 free arcane shots with a locknload proc.. and what happens if you get ANOTHER ToTH proc? wasted focus, wasted proc, useless piece of shit.
    - a caveat; I could see this talent being used in a pure, 100% aoe fight.. similar to the boss #4 in HoF... but the problem is, that fight has single target burn phases(heroic), where ToTH becomes a liability.
    This is horse shit. Misinformation like this pisses me off no end.

Being focus capped while doing low damage abilities is bad.

Being focus capped while doing your maximum damage abilities is not bad. You aren't wasting dps, you are doing MAXIMUM damage.
    Last edited by Namarus; 2013-02-21 at 12:37 AM.

I use TotH all the time period.

It's great for AoE, and makes a great way to lessen the amount of cobra shots you actually need to do.

Both Toth or Fervor has their good and bad. For example, if both hunter were the same geared, don't tell me that 100% of the time you will beat the other's dps (if one is using Toth vs Fervor).

Toth allows you to cast lesser Cobra and conserve focus if you are good at managing, while Fervor gives you the flexibility to have that boost of focus when you need the most for "thirst focus CD", but that doesn't mean one is definately better than the other. On Spread sheet, ofcourse most will go for the higher DPS, but how many can actually perform as exact on what a spread sheet state? Unless you have real time logs of x amount of run on a boss (ferver vs DB vs Toth talent), a spread sheet is just an indication of you doing perfect rotation at 0 mistake.

I personally prefer (SV) Toth cause i have more control vs Fervor, and it's a completely different playstyle.