Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I agree with him that you shouldn't aspire to join a top guild just for the sake of being in one. It's not really worth it unless you're really competitive minded and your goal is to be #1. If you don't have a lot of free time just forget it.

Well if you want to get to the top of any field it requires a tremendous amount of dedication. Many prestigious jobs require you to basically sacrifice most of your life outside of your career.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    If you feel that way I seriously wonder why you haven't jumped off a roof:P
    If I think life is boring, doesn't mean the alternative is any better.

Also, the big factor in this is that your life is valued by the amount of relationships you have with strangers (bit offtopic).

this simply highlights the point that you can be a good player and a skilled player, but the Elite game players are on a whole other level PLUS put in huge amounts of time that we cant afford.

Which is why i often take the class performance statistics with huge packs of salt. Our performance varies where a class said to be a low performer can outclass a supposed OP class, cause the values are taken from people who push the classes to their max limits and compare them together. And we arent those people with those skills, gear and extreme fine tuning.

Not that iam taking a dig at them, its their life and they can do it, but its not for everyone and those who arent them should realise that (all for new elites finding their way in though ofcourse, speaking of the general pop).

He's a family man and a good regular player. Hell even lots of those who may have potential for elite play mind not be able to become elite players becuase of the investment. "its their thing" so to speak.

This just shows the reality of it and i hope people who idolise them or want to join them realize it through this video or if atleast helps. That way if they're one step closer to knowing they cant cut it, or if they have the potential and means, will go in with a more prepared mindset of what its really like, thus being more mentally prepared and able to go hardcore.

They have a particular perspective, attitude and are in a position to put in the investment and not burn out from it.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2013-02-21 at 12:11 PM.

Its not 100% as bad as he puts it. Ive been in a guild with a top 10 atmosphere we were in the top 20 US. and After I left they even broke the top 10. They were just as bad as he mentioned. But I know people in top 10 who love it and not every top 10 is like it. It all comes down to finding a guild that fits your atmosphere. I enjoy my new guild who are top 40. We may push top 20 10 man Next tier (they were top 20 empress and will) maybe not but we won't kill each other doing it and That's what I like. We push ourselfs we push each other but we don't fucking berate people.

Just tells me you should really focus on a guild you like.
    I like my current guild, because I can't raid like how I used to be able to in terms of sheer hours.

I remember some buggers tried telling me I should basically bum out of college so I could raid more hardcore with them-30 hour+ a week deal during progression. Over double what we raid. No way in hell would I do that, but to them it would have been worth it apparently.
    And hell, maybe in the future 12 hours a week may be too much for me. I'll go from there.

The guy just bit off more than he can chew, but at least he remembered personal responsibilities come first at the end of the day.

Just to clear things up: he's a great and dedicated player and ranks a fair bit. Check out his other videos and you'll see he's not a bad player at all. Buuuuuuut top 10 was too demanding.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    He got the experience of joining a hardcore guild when they've killed bosses you haven't done yet bang on, that shit is nerve wracking.

I joined a guild with double my heroic progress this tier (they we're almost finished) and the first few raids were beyond stressful, it's ok once you get settled and into their progress again but having to do play perfectly on heroic farm bosses which you've never done before is infinitely harder than if you were there for the progress, especially when so many individual fuckups can wipe the entire raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisanalt View Post
    He got the experience of joining a hardcore guild when they've killed bosses you haven't done yet bang on, that shit is nerve wracking.

I joined a guild with double my heroic progress this tier (they we're almost finished) and the first few raids were beyond stressful, it's ok once you get settled and into their progress again but having to do play perfectly on heroic farm bosses which you've never done before is infinitely harder than if you were there for the progress, especially when so many individual fuckups can wipe the entire raid.
    I'll have to disagree. Because things are generally cleaner when it's on farm content, it sticks to the "theory" much more.
    So proper research beforehand makes a big difference.

During progression on the inverse, stuff doesn't really stay with the theory all the time.

Question: are top guilds for WoW payed to be number one, or try to be?

Like, a team is sponsored and what not for the Olympics or something like that in comparison?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would this be a surprise to anyone?

That person is Tecpontificates, a regular on the shaman forum.
    Hatred the Fearless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    If you feel that way I seriously wonder why you haven't jumped off a roof:P
    Instinct. Instinct is the enemy!

Deleted
    I think if this guy can't appreciate raiding on either HC nor Normal, PvE is not his thing.
    He is right though. I prefer to do normal raids and not be the best so that I actually have fun, then to mess up my life even more for recognision among the 0.001% of the players who actually care because you are 'that dude with World first'.

Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    I think if this guy can't appreciate raiding on either HC nor Normal, PvE is not his thing.
    He is right though. I prefer to do normal raids and not be the best so that I actually have fun, then to mess up my life even more for recognision among the 0.001% of the players who actually care because you are 'that dude with World first'.
    Hardcore progression raiding doesn't HAVE to "mess up your life". It doesn't mess up mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Question: are top guilds for WoW payed to be number one, or try to be?

Like, a team is sponsored and what not for the Olympics or something like that in comparison?
    A couple of them get sponsored, but they aren't exactly swimming in dosh as I understand.
    I'd wager swifty gets more from Razer than Paragon gets in all of its endorsements combined.

Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    If you looked at the rest of his channel he does fairly well in PvE compared to the average player especially so, he just plays less hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    Hardcore progression raiding doesn't HAVE to "mess up your life". It doesn't mess up mine.
    Nah man, it's either live the life of a neet or get cock blocked in normals, didn't you know?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    I'll have to disagree. Because things are generally cleaner when it's on farm content, it sticks to the "theory" much more.
    So proper research beforehand makes a big difference.

During progression on the inverse, stuff doesn't really stay with the theory all the time.
    I'll have to agree with the original comment. I too have joined a higher end guild during progression. You jump in, and as he says in the video, nobody tells you anything. You're just supposed to know it from the theory. Theory is never the same as having actually been there on progress.

If the guild you join are 1 - 2 weeks ahead of you in progression, which is very likely to be the case, every single "farm fight" is still very tight. You don't down something and magically next week its a breeze. If a personal mistake can wipe everyone, on some fights even a single death can tip the balance, if you are the one to make that mistake, on "farm content", you'll be fed to wolves, so to speak.

That's stressful as hell.

If you stick through with it, you'll find that when you join on "real" progression fights, everybody makes mistakes, and then its fine, as long as you learn from them really fast.

Deleted
    Hardcore raiding is ok imo if you don't have big responsibilites... when i was raiding in Top 20 guilds for 3 years i was a student and the worst thing that could happen was that i'm bad at tests. But thats my problem.

But if you have a child and/or a job you really shouldn't play that much wow anymore and "grow up". Because you're not just responsible for yourself anymore.

I know lots of people who go to the doctor on a regular basis so they dont have to go to work to play wow. They are hurting the company they work for and the other people working there because they have to work harder.

With children there shouldnt be much to say... whoever is so stupid to play hardcore wow when he has a little child should just kill himself. But in the end its nothing special... the people with the most children are often the people that care the least about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruionmel View Post
    He's utterly wrong about the skilled part. He clearly was one of the less-skilled people if he was unable to realize the kind of play that world-top players are capable of. Look at what the Korean starcraft players do in comparison to regular people. It's a little easier to gauge, as you can actually see their APM. They blow everyone else away. And that's exactly how these top raiders are. They are incredibly good at what they do. There's a reason guilds can full clear heroic end-tier bosses in nothing but blues and the drops from a single normal and single heroic clear, while the rest of us are decked in 500ilvls before we're able to kill those same bosses.

Not only that, the fact that he didn't like wiping on a boss for a couple days does NOT mean that suddenly everyone in the world shares his opinion. We wiped well over 150 times to heroic Sha of Fear, and I enjoyed myself just fine. It made the kill that much sweeter.
    Woa there. WoW players do not blow people away and nor can you compare their skill to professional SC2 Korean players. They are in a league of their own.

I am confident I can play WoW just as efficiently and skillfully as any top WoW player. I can play SC2 to about Gold lol. WoW is a billion times easier than SC2.

The reasons the best wow players can do what they do is not because of skill (not entirely or even mostly). It is due to dedication and circumstance.

They all have tonnes of time to give, and are willing to give it. Most people do not have the time to give or the willingness to give it - but many of them do have the skill.

TL;DR wow players have dedication, not skill. Please don't compare pro sc2 players to wow players, unless you are planning on a following it with a punchline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Long story short, it's not for everyone.

It's not uncommon for guilds of this level to raid upwards of 40 hours per week during progression and most people are unable to commit to this.