10+ Year Old Account

What is the First Derivative of this:

34x^12 - 3x^5 + 23xy^3 - y^2 - xy

If you can answer it (correctly), you get a cookie!

Total or partial and wrt to x or y ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea if I understand your question right since you got two unkown variables in the same function, and we don't really deal with that (so far) at the uni. But sure, I'll have a shot at that;

D(34x^12) is obv 34*12x^11 = 408x^11

D(3x^5) is also obv 3*5x^4 = 15x^4

23xy^3, here is a little trickier one (albeit still easy for me if I understand your question right). if we are supposed to derive both x and y (which I don't really know if we are, your first question doesn't tell me as much) you got a specific rule as to how that works, I have no idea what it's called in English though. But basically f(x)*f(y) (or normally f(x)*g(x)) would have the derivative f'(x)*f(y) + f(x)*f'(y). This would result in 23*y^3 + 23x*3y^2, which is equal to 23y^2(y + 3x).

D(y^2) = 2y

D(xy) = y + x (using the same rule as mentioned above.)

Now you got:

408x^11 - 15x^4 + 23y^2(y + 3x) - 2y - (y + x) = 408x^11 - 15x^4 + 23y^2(y + 3x) - 2y - y - x

Bunched together:

408x^11 - 15x^4 + 23y^2(y + 3x) - 3y - x, which could be written a bit differently but not necessarily easier. Your teacher should be able to accept that solution, if that is what it's all about.

Note, I did not use any program like mathlab or wolframalpha for this. Pure head calculus.

However I'm still not sure if I understood your question correctly. Might be that this is meant to be some kind of special case with two unknown variables, and in that case I'm probably not gonna be of much use since I haven't gotten there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't do calculus for anything less than double chocolate chip.

And it better be warm, fresh and gooey.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Total or partial and wrt to x or y ?
    This is the correct response to the OP.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    (d)/(dx)(-3 x^5+34 x^12-x y-y^2+23 x y^3) = 408 x^11-15 x^4+23 y^3-y ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wass View Post
    if we are supposed to derive both x and y (which I don't really know if we are, your first question doesn't tell me as much) you got a specific rule as to how that works, I have no idea what it's called in English though. But basically f(x)*f(y) (or normally f(x)*g(x)) would have the derivative f'(x)*f(y) + f(x)*f'(y).
    This is called the product rule.

In English we use boring names for them. We have the product rule, the quotient rule, the chain rule, and the power rule. There's probably more, but those are the ones I know.

Deleted
    assuming it's a function f with x and y being variables:
    d(f)/d(x)=408x^11-15x^4+23y^3-y
    d(f)/d(y)=69xy^2-2y-x