Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well night elves makes sense since the first ones were night elves, and blood elves were trained by Illidan. But orcs and undead have cause to hate demons as well, and so do humans, draenei, and worgen (they exist because night elves needed strong powers to fight satyrs and their demon masters). So I think there's valid reasons there for them to be demon hunters as well - and the trainers just decide to recruit from fertile ground (night elves didn't know about any of these races before the third war anyway, so there's no reason when they wouldn't try to train them now. Demon haters are demon haters).

Ultimately, it comes down to the story chosen on the source of playable demon hunters. If the player character is a student of Illidan, then limiting them to the two elf races, his only students seen in game, is sensible. If it's some other group of demon hunters on Azeroth, stepping out of the shadows to face a new threat from the Legion, then having them recruit from other races is possible.

I actually just tweeted a link to this thread to Dave Kosak, Chris Metzen and Micky Neilson, hoping to see a response from them on this subject. You've got some amazing ideas and I really hope they use them for DH's if they ever decide to make them a class in WoW.

Ghost Crawlers tweet in response to somebody asking about playable demon hunters

...and i agree with him, too many melee, not enough design space to make them not just another shaman / dk / pally.

...also blizzard said they will never do another "hero" class that starts at a high level, fyi, they regret the decision with DKs but are okay with it since it fits the lore of the class.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-02-23 at 06:05 AM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Ghost Crawlers tweet in response to somebody asking about playable demon hunters

...and i agree with him, too many melee, not enough design space to make them not just another shaman / dk / pally.
    He didn't say anything to agree with. He asked a question:

Is there enough design space there not occupied by DK, warlock, hunter, warrior?
    I say yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just beautiful. I feel like the game has been so bland lately, it needs something like this to spicen it up! Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    He didn't say anything to agree with. He asked a question:

I say yes.
    Pretty sure he was being rhetorical, as he often is.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post

...also blizzard said they will never do another "hero" class that starts at a high level, fyi, they regret the decision with DKs but are okay with it since it fits the lore of the class.
    You can't agree with Ghostcrawler because he didn't make a definitive statement. He could have very well been making a rhetorical question, but none the less, he asked the question he was asked in reply to the question in a way that could have been nothing more than a vague way not to say yes or no. Just like we were told Mists of Pandaria may or may not be the next expansion as Pandaren are traditionally only used in outside literature and obscure easter eggs in the game.

And you are absolutely WRONG at best and lying at worst if you think Blizzard said they will NEVER do another hero class. They were asked in one of the recent MOP Q&As why Monks were not a hero class and if there would ever be another hero class and Blizzard straight up said they just felt monks work better as a new hero starting out on their journey from level 1, but that they absolutely do not rule out creating a new hero class if it is appropriate for the theme of the expansion, and that they learned valuable lessons from Deathknights.

While you may mean well, or you may just not like demon hunters, stop spreading disinformation and opinions as fact.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-02-23 at 08:38 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    I actually just tweeted a link to this thread to Dave Kosak, Chris Metzen and Micky Neilson, hoping to see a response from them on this subject. You've got some amazing ideas and I really hope they use them for DH's if they ever decide to make them a class in WoW.
    Wow, thanks for that. Hopefully they check out the concept (or my other class concepts) and get some ideas. My goal in this thread was to show that you could create a DH class while maintaining the aura of badassery that was the WC3 unit.

i really enjoy the idea of a demon hunter the only problem i have with it is it doesnt differ enough from a warlock rogue hybrid. the death knights brought in the new concept of the zombies/death/diseases, monks are quite different from the other classes in many ways that i dont feel like listing. Demons are already covered by warlocks and agile melee strikes are also covered. but the effort put into this is great and i would defidently play one of these

very cool ideas, loved the Vengeance spec
    ~Vayuu
    ~Lapietra
    ~Lapslock
    ~Rubmybeam

[Barthilas]

This ideia is amazing good job!

I was wondering why not let the demon hunters use weapons like swords/daggers/maybe even polearms? and let them use a class specific mechanism to transform those weapons in warglaives,similar to the dk only enchants in their starting zone?there could be different warglaives for each spec for example the discipline specc could be able to make some sort of life-stealing warglaives and so on..but the weapon dps and the stats would remain the same from the orinigal weapon

10+ Year Old Account
    I updated the OP, and changed the Discipline (tanking) spec quite a bit. Check it out and let me know what you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is so cool that I'm afraid blizz won't pull it off right and I'll end up dissapointed ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    I'm sure he meant leather/mail in the same way that hunters can wear leather/mail. They would obviously get mail specialization, if I'm understanding his intentions correctly.

Now, I saw a few posts back that you hadn't thought up talent trees for this guy. Well, here are some I tooled around with on a previous Demon Hunter Concept that I can change around and tie to yours.

This idea assumes that you'd actually be jumped from 65 to 70 in the starting zone, but dropping it to 55 works just as well.

Level 15:
    Movement Tree - Quest to gain access (a'la dk quests) involves obstacles that you must dodge and/or move by quickly. A DH must be faster than his enemies, afterall. Talent 1 is a passive speed increase. T2 allows your immolation to remain active when using path of flames, but for extra mana consumption. T3 replaces Path of flames with a flat mana cost equivalent of Sprint.

Level 30: Utility Tree - Access Quest lets you "possess" a demon (same as MC) and use its abilities to achieve your goal. Each talent option grants you a demonic ability. The AOE Torment (works as fear in dps spec and taunt as tank), seduction (cc), and spellsteal.

Level 45: Efficiency Tree - A DH must be able to react at a moment's notice. This tree lets you enhance your current spec or temporarily act as another in an emergency. You can gain a damage shield (with the wing animation described below), an increased chance to proc chains, or a mana refill option.

Level 60: Become the Beast - Like Illidan, you perform a ceremony on your quest and devour a demon's essence in some way. At the end, you earn your talent choice. T1 lets you mimic a nearby demon, granting you similar abilities (good for PVP paring with or against warlocks; pve gives you more control over the form than a warlock's pet). T2 grants you druid flying; you sprout wings when you activate it; in places with no flying, it works like instant ghost wolf. T3 gives you a gore attack that sprouts horns while active and gives you a chance to trigger a new chain finisher where you impale the enemy, stunning them for a duration and bringing them with you.

Level 75: Your own dark path - Now that you are entirely on your own, you begin to develop talents not previously seen in DH. You can either reduce the CD of your spectral sight; turn your smite demon into a variant touch of death; or makes glaive toss similar to FoK/Tempest

Level 90: Demonic Mastery - By level 90, you have true demon's blood coarsing through your veins. T1 lets you act as a demon like a DK can become undead for a short period of time. T2 is a passive increase to your mastery. T3 is a switch you can use to berserk, sacrificing protection for attack (great for execution phases).

Glyphs:
    Meridian major - reduces the CD of meridian to 5 minutes.
    Metamorphosis major - If you die while it's active, you get a shaman res.
    Path of Shadow minor - removes the fire trail from path of flames
    Banish Major - allows you to "vanish"
    Wings of Chaos Minor - Instead of healing you, it heals nearby injured allies.
    Demonic Grab Minor - pulls the target to you instead.
    Spectral Sight Minor - Lets you track invisible passively.
    Smiting Minor - Several options that let you change the creature type you can smite.
    Shadow Blast Major - Increases radius.
    Fire Bolt Major - Allows you to get the benefit of this spell at any range.
    Demonic Entity Minor - Lets you have wings, horns, and hooves passively with no other effect.
    Sight of Sargeras Major - Reduces Spectral Sight CD and increases chance to hit any target.
    ONe Thousand Cuts - Channel while moving? Not sure how effective that would be.
    Wow, this is all sorts of awesome! I like the concept behind each tier, even if I disagree with some of the individual talents in each tier. I'll use it in a future update, and I'll be sure to give you credit for the original concept. Thanks for the contribution.

Oh, and the glyphs are nice as well. Great job!

Deleted
    Best Demon Hunter class concept I've seen, good job. The only things I don't agree with are:

Deconstruction - I understand that you want your Demon Hunter to look like the traditional WC3 Demon Hunter, but I don't think Demon Hunters have to look like this. They can make bare-chested tier sets for the iconic Demon Hunter look

Only Night Elves and Blood Elves can be Demon Hunters - I know that they aren't considered canon anymore, but the RPG books mention human Demon Hunters. I don't think it makes sense that only elves can be Demon Hunters.

The Discipline spec - Don't get me wrong it's very well done, but I would replace it with a ranged tree so that Hunters won't be the only users of ranged weapons anymore. I would switch the fire-based DPS spec to a tank spec.

The spells and the Shadow Chain resource are awesome, made the Demon Hunter class much more interesting for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a thought in regards to the tatoos.

Maybe make it a basic trait on the character if the armor idea doesn't work. Similar to how DKs have a few exclusive character models.

Maybe have demon hunters add an extra character creation option for their tatoos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bklutz View Post
    i really enjoy the idea of a demon hunter the only problem i have with it is it doesnt differ enough from a warlock rogue hybrid. the death knights brought in the new concept of the zombies/death/diseases, monks are quite different from the other classes in many ways that i dont feel like listing. Demons are already covered by warlocks and agile melee strikes are also covered. but the effort put into this is great and i would defidently play one of these
    Well you could consider a agile fighter that utilizes demonic energy and mixes caster with melee to be something different than other classes. Like a battle mage, or an entire class similar to Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Well you could consider a agile fighter that utilizes demonic energy and mixes caster with melee to be something different than other classes.
    I see it this way.

I'm a battle mage nut they just suit me. And while ENH is one and DKs in sone ways. DKs feel to slow post Wrath(rune changes ruined the class to me) and ENH while nice lacks a nice battle mage esque tank. One reason i love monks they have a wii bit o battle mage to em.

So yeah a battle mage tank that is fast and quick would be badass.

Oh an OP think you might ever come up with ideas for a 4th spec for classes?

10+ Year Old Account
    holy crap that is great. That chain-attacks combo idea sounds intresting.