Page 1 of 2
LastLast

IRS screws you for doing right?

My grandfather passed away back in 2009 and we are still waiting for his estate to settle. Now get this. The only thing holding us up is the IRS wont sign off on it. The hilarious part is he always paid every penny he owed on time. In fact when he died he didnt owe a single cent to the IRS or to anyone and thats why they wont sign off on it. Not because he has tens of thousands of dollars in taxes owed, but because he actually paid everything on time and didnt owe anything. We cant get our money, or anything else in the estate like Stocks, Bonds, CoDs because my grandfather actually did what he was supposed to and paid all of his taxes on time. Am I the only one that finds that really really fucked up?

I think you've probably failed to apprehend the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think you've probably failed to apprehend the situation.
    They only care and acknowledge your existence if you owe them money?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I saw something that said there was nothing in the constitution that said you had to pay any tax's to the IRS. No, I'm not American and yes, it's probably ball's but still, would be kinda funny if that was the case.

As I said, I think you've probably failed to apprehend the situation. I don't know what the reality of the matter is, but "they're fucking with us because we paid the taxes correctly" seems pretty unlikely.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 03:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    I saw something that said there was nothing in the constitution that any you had to pay any tax's to the IRS. No, I'm not American and yes, it's probably ball's but still, would be kinda funny if that was the case.
    That's plainly wrong; the Constitution is very clear that Congress has the power to levy taxes.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, I think you've probably failed to apprehend the situation. I don't know what the reality of the matter is, but "they're fucking with us because we paid the taxes correctly" seems pretty unlikely.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 03:58 PM ----------

That's plainly wrong; the Constitution is very clear that Congress has the power to levy taxes.
    Would be interested in seeing that, I don't know much about the constitution, but I guess it's available for viewing on google? Gonna peak ^^

As a CPA (i.e. dude who does taxes for a living) I can guarantee you that you don't understand what is going on. Just as an FYI it is not the IRS who won't let you get your money as they aren't able to even control that matter. The person who is not making the distributions (i.e. giving you the money) is the executor of the estate. Now, the reason they aren't giving you the money is because if the IRS comes back and doesn't agree with some on the estate tax return the executor can be held liable for the shortfall. Now, if he gave you all the money (most likely it is to be split among several parties) and the IRS comes and says you owe us $100,000 he would then turn around and say hey I gave you too much money so please give me back $100,000 so that I can pay the IRS and you can have the rest. However, you are not required to actually give that money back which means he could be held personally liable for it. That my friend is why you aren't getting your money.

Also, the IRS doesn't give a crap whether you owed money or not or paid your bills. They care about what assets you owned, what their value was, did you take discounts on those assets, whether the liabilities you reported were valid and whether you made any taxable gifts during your lifetime that you never claimed (I may have forgotten something but at least thats the vast majority of it).

We have had 2 accountants go over everything many times. Everything is in order. There are no disputes b/t my Dad and his Sister who are the only two parties of the estate.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-02-23 at 09:05 PM.

Would be interested in seeing that, I don't know much about the constitution, but I guess it's available for viewing on google? Gonna peak ^^
    Article 1, Section 8:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes
    16th Amendment:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

I saw something that said there was nothing in the constitution that said you had to pay any tax's to the IRS. No, I'm not American and yes, it's probably ball's but still, would be kinda funny if that was the case.
    Only Federal taxes. State taxes are in legislature. Far too few people know this, though, and pay federal taxes because they think they have to

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 03:05 PM ----------

Again, that's state taxes. Federal are nowhere in any law book. Good luck in your search for it, though
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    Only Federal taxes. State taxes are in legislature. Far too few people know this, though, and pay federal taxes because they think they have to

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 03:05 PM ----------

Again, that's state taxes. Federal are nowhere in any law book. Good luck in your search for it, though
    That's absolutely amazing that you've convinced yourself of such outright nonsense. The words are directly in front of your face, part of the United States Constitution, and you just say, "nope!".

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why it would take 3-4 years, but assuming that his estate was sizable, there are capital gains and inheritance taxes to figure out. Plus just because YOU think that he did everything right does not necessarily mean that is what actually happened.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I came across this, didn't read it all but got the general gist of it: http://www.wnd.com/2007/07/42749/ I guess there was some legal reason, why he got off but it does does raise the question.

Oh and just to clarify, I have NOT at all looked into nor researched this myself, I'm merely speculating at this point as I feel it's worth bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerlynne View Post
    I don't know why it would take 3-4 years, but assuming that his estate was sizable, there are capital gains and inheritance taxes to figure out. Plus just because YOU think that he did everything right does not necessarily mean that is what actually happened.
    Just as an FYI for US there is no capital gains to pay. It is simply the inheritance tax. My guess is your grandpa had a large estate and they are basically arguing over the value of it. Then they can figure out what the basis of the assets are and how much the government is owed. The fact that your dad and his sister agree means absolutely zero the IRS. They could be trying to kill each other and it wouldn't make a difference as to whether or not they accept the return.

I'm betting there's part of the story missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatelocker View Post
    Just as an FYI for US there is no capital gains to pay. It is simply the inheritance tax. My guess is your grandpa had a large estate and they are basically arguing over the value of it. Then they can figure out what the basis of the assets are and how much the government is owed. The fact that your dad and his sister agree means absolutely zero the IRS. They could be trying to kill each other and it wouldn't make a difference as to whether or not they accept the return.

I thought usually when something gets dragged out this long its because of a dispute between the parties who the estate is being split up between.

I came across this, didn't read it all but got the general gist of it: http://www.wnd.com/2007/07/42749/ I guess there was some legal reason, why he got off but it does does raise the question.

Oh and just to clarify, I have NOT at all looked into nor researched this myself, I'm merely speculating at this point as I feel it's worth bringing it up.
    According to a wiki entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cryer) they basically charged him with willfully not paying, his defense was that he didn't think he had to pay, so it wasn't willful that he didn't pay, so he wasn't found guilty. The case was delayed over and over and he died.

So he didn't really "prove" anything about his allegations that income isn't money you take in. I think the crux of his argument is that corporations pay tax on profit, while individuals pay tax on income (your expenses are not deducted).

15+ Year Old Account
    The IRS isnt holding it up, the estate can be split to the parties at anytime the executor sees fit, however the executor is responsible for the taxes.

They may be telling you the irs is holding it up, but I assure you thats not the case.

Unless he owed them money.

There must be a part missing in this story.

This article is par for the course for WND- it misrepresents facts to push anti-government propaganda. The site is about as trustworthy as Infowars.