Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it bad I never use a mouse for wow?

I use the trackpad on my computer I never thought about buying a mouse been using the trackpad to play wow for 2 years now. It dosent hurt my gameplay its just on left handed and have to use arrow keys to move and the trackpad is so conviently placed it has no lag, but I notice everybody but me uses a mouse for gaming. I raid/ PvP just fine I keybind only use mouse to exit game, and use my oh crap buttons, like bubble and lay on hands. Is that noobish?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is actually very bad to not use a mouse.

Now, if you're playing extremely casually and yes, I mean EXTREMELY casually, then it is fine. If you are raiding and PvPing and trying to make something of it, I suggest you invest in a mouse.

If someone applied to my guild and said they did not have a mouse- they would be laughed at and most likely have their thread stickied as a joke. Now, if you tried to join a pug on my server and offered up saying you don't play with a mouse, the same might just happen again.

A mouse provides much more than just clicking out of the game. I use my mouse as a form of movement and my keyboard for bindings. I would say 99.9% of my guild uses a mouse solely for movement and keybindings. Its mandatory in competitive PVE and PVP to use a mouse. I'm honestly surprised you have gone this long without one!

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Now, if you're playing extremely casually and yes, I mean EXTREMELY casually, then it is fine. If you are raiding and PvPing and trying to make something of it, I suggest you invest in a mouse.
    I can't stress this enough. My gf played without a mouse for over a year. When she finally got one (just a regular mouse, nothing special) the difference was very noticeable and she improved drastically. But like Forsedar said, if you're playing casually, you're not hurting anyone.

Yeah, like they said, if you're just playing for fun, doing a few random heroics and BGs or whatever it's no big deal. If you're trying to raid seriously, or PvP seriously in arenas or RBGs, you need a mouse to really be competitive at all.

The benefits of having one are astronomical, and not having one certainly hurts you.

The reasons above hit the nail on the head. Another reason to get a mouse: it's much easier to replace than a track pad that's lost its sensitivity. You're likely putting that track pad through a lot more than the designers figured it would ever see!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not even sure what you're saying... you're moving with the arrow keys, yet you keybind..? I take it you're using your right hand for the arrow keys and your left for the keybinds? I don't really get how that can be pleasant to play like at all seeing as you won't be using 3-4 abilities at the same time (counter from the fingers resting on the left side of the keyboard).

Not being able to strafe around with a mouse seriously hurts your gameplay as keyboard turning with the arrow keys takes so much longer. Also not being able to turn my camera around would drive me nuts. xD

Deleted
    Yes it's bad. Without a mouse, you'll never be as good as a person that does. Even if you're not THAT bothered about that, it'll still have a significant impact on your ability to perform in whatever role you're expected to fill.

casual or not, you would notice the difference even with a 5$/€ mouse.
    i used to play fps games with a friend on our laptops, which made us good enough at using the touchpad, but it was more a challenge of "let's see who can fail less".
    with a mouse you will (almost surely) be much faster, need less focus to move the cursor and you will love the wheel keybinds so much you wont be able to live without it (i personally REFUSE to even try buying a mouse without at least 1 button on the side, right now i have 2)

Deleted
    at this moment i am bedridden so i cant use a mouse and have to use a touchpad. i dont raid with the touch pad nor do i do anything too eventfull like pvp or dungeons because my reactions arent as good as with a mouse.

i would recommend getting a mouse though, its just sooo much easier to do things and react to things quiker! (but if you dont like it and can play without it thats fine aswell ^^)

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    I use the trackpad on my computer I never thought about buying a mouse been using the trackpad to play wow for 2 years now. It dosent hurt my gameplay its just on left handed and have to use arrow keys to move and the trackpad is so conviently placed it has no lag, but I notice everybody but me uses a mouse for gaming. I raid/ PvP just fine I keybind only use mouse to exit game, and use my oh crap buttons, like bubble and lay on hands. Is that noobish?
    You and your fellow raiders/pvpers will notice a difference. Trust me. Your area of motion is severely reduced by using the trackpad. On the other hand, if you enjoy using it, then do so. In the end, most people do not really care what a character next to them does or how he does it. It is just a game

I guess u never been a hardcore raider.

I would argue that you're not actually PvP'ing without a mouse, lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    I guess u never been a hardcore raider.
    actually yes. cleared 90% in vanilla, (bwl & mc on farm) 95% in TBC (bt & mh on farm before nerf) & even had an icc25 alliance 1st (no, i didnt die) as a keyboard turner. i just laugh when ppl knock keyboard turners, maybe i was just pro.
    i just play for fun now & raid very little, my hardcore days are well & truly over.

Deleted
    It's not a problem at all if you succeed while using it, i personnally couldn't use a trackpad for comfort reasons (especially since i'm now habituated to this kind of gaming gear : http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gamin...CCAT-Kone-XTD/) and peoples prefer mouses cause they mostly play with a computer case, and cause it's more comfortable than a trackpad.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2013-02-24 at 02:07 AM.

I think a quality mouse is indispensable to playing at a high level; not only does it help you turn/move around fractions of a second faster (it adds up, believe me) but you can also bind important spells to the mouse buttons/triggers as well.

You can get an optical mouse for 5$

10+ Year Old Account
    How the hell... my mind can't even fathom playing without a mouse xD

What is this? I don't even...

...just spend the 15 bucks and get one. I mean holy cow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only use my mouse to place traps. Or move when it's too awkward to strafe to the side.

10+ Year Old Account
    God I feel crippled without my mouse in this game. I use it to move and to use mouseover macros.
    Putin khuliyo