What are some Final Fantasy (or FF-like) games that I can buy on the internet?

There are no FF (or FF-like) games on Steam, and no FF games on Amazon (I don't consider the MMOs). The Last Remnant fails because you don't control the characters. Can anyone suggest anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are really no old-school style RPGs anymore; not if you are looking for turn based style gameplay. I suggest getting an emulator or a PS3/PSP and start download the classics. PS3/PSP has a great collection of oldies from the PS1 era and you can literaly find anything you want if you download the right emulators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you can try out the Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death 7 combo. It's $3 on steam if memory serves and is a turn based RPG in the 16 bit style with a few new twists but nothing that alters the game play too much. Outside of emulators ShamanTank is right you need to download them from the PSN to get the really good FF games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by ShamanTankFTW View Post
    There are really no old-school style RPGs anymore; not if you are looking for turn based style gameplay. I suggest getting an emulator or a PS3/PSP and start download the classics. PS3/PSP has a great collection of oldies from the PS1 era and you can literaly find anything you want if you download the right emulators.
    What legal emulators do you suggest? And how do they work?

Thank you for your time, by the way.

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Well you can try out the Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death 7 combo. It's $3 on steam if memory serves and is a turn based RPG in the 16 bit style with a few new twists but nothing that alters the game play too much. Outside of emulators ShamanTank is right you need to download them from the PSN to get the really good FF games.
    I can't really stand 16 bit art... sorry!

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm..."legal" emulators can be downloaded off of the internet. There are multiple sites that promote them and all it takes is someone with some know-how to transfer the data from the original game into the style of the emulator. Just go to one of those sites and there will be lists of both emulators and roms (games) as well as lists stating which roms work with each emulators.

Depending on where you go you can download anything from Atari systems, NES, SNES, PS1, Gameboy, PS2, PSP, Gamecube etc... I'll send you a private message with my favorite site so I can't accused of promoting another website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    There are no FF (or FF-like) games on Steam, and no FF games on Amazon (I don't consider the MMOs). The Last Remnant fails because you don't control the characters. Can anyone suggest anything?
    I have to say I'm right with you here, I grew up on turn based JRPGs and to this day they're still my favourite style of game, sadly we seem to be the only two people in the world who like them, so no one is making games of this style anymore

I have to defend Last Remnant though, it's a GREAT game, the combat takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's super fun. I know the whole "you dont issue direct orders" thing is a bit... daunting, but tbh 95% of the time they do what you were going to do anyway. I mean if you issue the command "You healing magic" they will use their best healing spells, the only time it's 100% random is with the damage abilities and you get so harsh by the end that it doesn't matter WHAT you use, you'll still be doing stupid amounts of damage .

Also, the last boss in Last Remnant is one of my favourite of all time, so stupidly hardcore, without being OP, very satisfying to beat.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Well the best JRPG out there at the moment is Xenoblade Chronicles by Nintendo's Monolith Studios on the Wii system.
    This along with FVII are the best jrpgs I've ever played

To summarize , Xenoblade = Best JRPG of this Generation
    Last edited by mmoccb6c63e4df; 2013-02-21 at 01:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spyros2283 View Post
    Well the best JRPG out there at the moment is Xenoblade Chronicles by Nintendo's Monolith Studios on the Wii system.
    This along with FVII are the best jrpgs I've ever played

To summarize , Xenoblade = Best JRPG of this Generation
    Is Xenoblade really that good? I have been thinking about getting it over and over again but haven't picked it up yet. Now with the new one coming out I've been argueing with myself again about it...

Umm..."legal" emulators can be downloaded off of the internet. There are multiple sites that promote them and all it takes is someone with some know-how to transfer the data from the original game into the style of the emulator. Just go to one of those sites and there will be lists of both emulators and roms (games) as well as lists stating which roms work with each emulators.
    To add to this almost all emulators are legal. The moment you make them illegal is when you used an illegally obtained BIOS code to run them. Downloading the games for free (unless they are officially free elsewhere by the creator) and playing them is illegal too.

Playing an emulator legally requires (if necessary) your own consoles bios code, and putting the disk (private copies used to be legal, not sure if they are anymore), into the pc. You shouldn't need to mount it as ISO with a lot of emulators and it may even make it run worse if you do.

For games with non conventional discs/cartridges there may or may not be an adapter available for your country. If not then you will have to do things illegally as far as I'm aware.

Personally I have no problems with someone illegally downloading games that they've already bought, legitimately intend to buy soon, or are simply getting a demo (since demo's seem to have died off). I'm not a huge fan of playing whole games/tracks/videos with no intention of ever paying for it if you enjoyed it, but to each their own.

Xenogears (PS1) I rather enjoyed.

Is Xenoblade really that good? I have been thinking about getting it over and over again but haven't picked it up yet. Now with the new one coming out I've been argueing with myself again about it...
    I really enjoyed Xenoblade. It pulls a lot from MMORPGs so if the more modern themepark MMORPGs really irk you, you might want to skip it. But the story was good, the graphics aren't bad for a Wii game, and it's got a ton of content. It's not on the PC though.

I have to defend Last Remnant though, it's a GREAT game, the combat takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's super fun.
    Last Remnant was good, and amusingly the PC version is a lot better than the console one. Sadly the leveling system is counter-intuitive and if you don't go into the game knowing exactly what you are doing, you will probably have to start over at some point. I eventually got to a point where only was to beat a particularly boss was the status-anomaly ultimate, which I didn't know. And you can't level grind, because more levels are bad.

I don't know of too many (any?) traditional JRPGs available for the PC.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    pre-2000?

Lunar 1 & 2
    Legend of the dragoon
    Star ocean
    breath of fire IV
    Phantasy star II
    Saga Frontier 1 (thats more like the old gameboy FF legend games & FF2 on NES... made by the same guy)
    Tales of Phantasia
    Chrono trigger and cross
    Dragon warrior/quest
    xenogears
    earthbound

post-2000?

xenosaga I & III
    Tales of... [insert title here] (theres a billion of them by now)
    Magnacarta I & II
    kingdom hearts
    the latter dragon quest games

post 2000 games like "FF" are harder to suggest or even name cause they've all switched over to that mmo-style combat system, or are action-oriented. But I tried to help

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Xenoblade is phenomenal. Easily the best JRPG of this gen, with Ni No Kuni close behind.
    If my Wii didn't malfunction when Xenoblade Chronicles came out, I would have bought a copy, but it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find a copy of that game now for a reasonable price.

10+ Year Old Account
    try to get Chrono Trigger from PSN or android/iOS... best jrpg out there even if kinda dated(super nintendo era:P) but yeah pretty much nothing comes close to it.
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2013-02-24 at 11:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    try to get Chrono Trigger from PSN or android/iOS... best jrpg out there even if kinda dated(super nintendo era:P) but yeah pretty much nothing comes close to it.
    OP said he doesn't like 16 bit art for some reason, so he is limiting himself quite severely IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    OP said he doesn't like 16 bit art for some reason, so he is limiting himself quite severely IMO.
    oh ... too bad I can make it look pretty amazing with the emulator filters much less pixelated and stuff... so it looks more artsy