Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, you guys are still going? No one has said anything new since page 2.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    No it's not, it's the only sensible observation to make. Not seeing it would be burying your head in the sand.
    NPC names, architecture, cooking recipes, Chinese script, tired of re-writing the same list...

It is clearly the Chinese expansion. No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    BC added several million subs, MOP is losing them.
    First, TBC added several million because it was the first expansion and WoW was only two years old. Second, again, no, there has been a net gain in 600K subs after Cataclysm hemorrhaged 3 million subs. Since the math seems to elude you, let me spell it out.

At MoP release: 9 Million Subs
    Q4 Analysis: Just over 10 million Subs
    Q1 Analysis: 9.6 million subs

9.6 million > 9 million

The more you write the more you expose yourself as not knowing $%@#. BC was not necessarily planned to have Sunwell. KJ was never the planned last boss and BC was NOT a KJ expansion. It was all about the Burning Legion. Illidan was promoted as the main villain all the way, until Blizzard realized they needed a filler tier 6.5. Sargeras is the man, not KJ. You may want to read as well lol.
    No, you don't know what you're talking about. When The Burning Crusade was first revealed in PC Gamer in August 2005 (Yeah, I was actually playing then!), the Sunwell Plateau was specifically mentioned as one of the raids they were planning. This was before even the Draenei had been revealed as the Alliance race. Secondly, Kil'Jaeden is the leader of the Burning Legion, and if you didn't know that, you haven't been paying attention. Illidan was opposed to the Burning Legion and was specifically in hiding from Kil'Jaeden, and if you had actually bothered to play and pay attention to The Frozen Throne, you would know that. Why would the entire expansion be about the Burning Legion, and then the final boss be Illidan, who is completely opposed to them? No, Illidan was always meant to be a red herring, you just missed the subtext, the build-up to the release of the expansion, and apparently, The Frozen Throne.

Do you want further proof? Kael'thas specifically mentions that he's alive, and going to summon Kil'Jaeden after you defeat him in Tempest Keep. Tempest Keep was out before The Black Temple. He was foreshadowing the Sunwell Plateau and Magister's Terrace.

Now, to address Sargeras...Sargeras has been out of commission since Warcraft I. He was banished when Anduin Lothar lopped off Medivh's head, who Sargeras had been possessing. Sargeras had absolutely nothing to do with Archimonde's invasion in Warcraft III, and he had absolutely nothing to do with the events that occurred in The Burning Crusade.

Keep trying to call me out, and I will continue to show you just how ignorant of the lore you truly are.
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2013-02-24 at 04:01 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    Nothing about crapdaria promotes Warcraft naturally, everything feels forced and out of sync with the rest of the game.

I wouldn't mind crapdaria being its own game, crapdarens are cute and cuddly, but mixed with Warcraft is like listening to a song that stops at the 4th minute then resumes 3 minutes later (next expansion).

I wish Samwise would've kept his trap shut, not everything he does is golden.
    I wish it were its own game and not forced down our throats. Samwise lost my respect not because he is a bad artist, he is a good one, but because of his lack of insight about pandas not fitting into WC universe.

Part of it just may be politics within company, maybe he wanted more of a say in the game, maybe he had his agenda. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    First, TBC added several million because it was the first expansion and WoW was only two years old. Second, again, no, there has been a net gain in 600K subs after Cataclysm hemorrhaged 3 million subs. Since the math seems to elude you, let me spell it out.

9.6 million > 9 million
    Just wait until all AP holders sub runs out... most of them will cancel sub. Me included.

A lot of the losses were due to dailycraft; if people quit because they hated the Asian culture they would not have bought MOP in the first place, because the cultural influence was fucking obvious on the game box, every advertisement in existence, beta, and word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Wah? The next patch's Dino-land stands on it's own two legs without drawing too heavily in the Asian themes just fine, sure the Mogu bits still have it - but the trolls and dinosaurs are pretty far removed.

I doubt when we go and raid org to beat up Garrosh he'll be standing around in a rice paddy hat and a chinese dress either.

I can understand people not liking the Asian thematics, but I find it hard to believe people are complaining about "oh woe is me the whole content has that theme!". Yeah, and? You'd prefer the TBC / Cata system where each zone is a complete mess with no ties?

As it stands Pandaria is a nice, cohesive continent that actually feels like a proper place - if it was made of a collage of different thematic tones it would be a complete mess.
    TBC wasn't a mess. It had distinct zones on "another planet". It added millions of subs that MOP will never ever ever achieve. It had some favorite zones like Nagrand, epic ones like Hellfire. MOP zones will be another forgotten blip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas conducts the Forsaken government in a very Facist manner. All of the Forsaken follow her unquestionably, similar to the Nazis and Adolf Hitler. She also wants to eliminate an entire race of people, namely Humans.
    All racial leaders are dictators if you will. All nations are monarchies, if you will. Sylvanas title is Queen, and not chancelor or President. She doesn't answer to a congress, she is the sole ruler.
    Her political motive is only to restore a solid nation and peace for her people. Her attacks against Gilneas have not been her choice. She was ordered to do so.
    She is up to something, that's for sure.. But I never seen her as being driven to eliminate all Humans. For all I know she wants to claim Lordaeron for her people.
    That, of course is in contradiction to the humans, who also claim Lordaeron as theirs. Neutrally seen. Both have a rightful claim.
    The living and the undead...

They did gain subs. They gained 1 million from Cataclysm. They lost 400K since then. That's still a net gain of 600K subs which is more than the subs of entire other games in the genre. Math's hard, I know.
    People were quitting at the end of Cata for three reasons. No content. No prospect of an epic WC expansion. Annual pass marketing trick ran its course.

The millions of losses since MOP was announced are at least "in part" due to having crap lined up as the next expansion. The outrage in Blizzcon and people saying they will quit once Cata is over in forums.

Many people hated MOP, including me, from the inception. We still bought it to give a fair assessment. Yet, it fell far short. Now after that we are quitting again, waiting for next Blizzcon.

MOP had one of the WORST launches of any expansion losing subs soon after launch. Already bleeding as content is crap and copy-paste.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by VelmuVeera View Post
    I don't like the asian theme either tbh. I like asian culture to some extent but whole pandaria being a wannabe china is pretty annoying. It is indeed beautifully made but I've liked every other expansions themes better, though the pandaria areas are better than the cata ones. I liked tbcs scifi / high-fantasy theme the most even though I'm no fan of that kind of a stuff usually. I liked wotlks undead / nordic theme as well, though it wasn't as good as tbc. In cata I liked Vashj'ir and Deepholm to some extent but overall it was pretty meh.
    Asian culture is fine. It's the extent it dominates the continent and expansion. MOP is right now the worst for me, worse than Cata. That's quite a feat.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Wah? The next patch's Dino-land stands on it's own two legs without drawing too heavily in the Asian themes just fine, sure the Mogu bits still have it - but the trolls and dinosaurs are pretty far removed.

I doubt when we go and raid org to beat up Garrosh he'll be standing around in a rice paddy hat and a chinese dress either.

I can understand people not liking the Asian thematics, but I find it hard to believe people are complaining about "oh woe is me the whole content has that theme!". Yeah, and? You'd prefer the TBC / Cata system where each zone is a complete mess with no ties?

As it stands Pandaria is a nice, cohesive continent that actually feels like a proper place - if it was made of a collage of different thematic tones it would be a complete mess.
    Have you seen the preview of Throne of Thunder? It's Mogu/Chinese style everywhere. The Trolls are the only variety.

Compare Wrath, you have the Vikings/Norse stuff, you have the Nerubian, you have the Taunka, Titan stuff, LK stuff, even human stuff (AT/Dalaran).

In general, there is too much Chinese inspired content, an overdose if you will, and not enough variety.

The sure indicator of that is when your player base is going, "Again!?".

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Can you actually elaborate instead of just copy-pasting the words "copy paste" because honestly, I didn't feel over-dominated whatsoever nor was I aware the Asian culture was that immersed until I started reading these threads bitching about it.

I mean sure, the NPC names are Chinese (some of them), and sure the expansion is obviously based on Asia, but I didn't feel I was breathing in Asian air while playing the game whatsoever.
    I elaborated over several pages in this very thread. Can you please go back and read? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    the 400k loss relates in my opinion to several factors, of which the asian/panda theme has no part of...

1. The reputation gating, which makes the dailies a chore for many, and not a fun activity....
    2. The community behavior, which is on a constant decline and makes rather mature and mannered people quit.
    3. Blizzards obvious floating helpless by trying to please every minority that's just persistently crying enough... The game has atm no solid direction.
    4. The to 3 related constant changes and nerfs and buffs... I believe it is safe to say, that the vast majority just wants to play the game.
    When one has to constantly use online resources to check whether there are class and spec changes, people get fed up with it. The viewpoint: "I want to play a game, and don't want to have to take a science class on how to play it" is a very valid viewpoint, and does result in sub losses.

If you notice the argument every racist gives is that the culture they hate is "taking over," "dominating," "encroaching" and all that shit when in reality, they are just completely ignorant and closed-minded. Funny that those words are exactly the argument said "anti-Asian-culture" people are spewing / "copy pasting" in this thread over and over again.

I do understand not everybody likes the theme of the expansion (not everyone in my guild does, for that matter), but some of the vitriol from these posters suggest there's more wrong in their heads than in the game.

As for me personally I'm indifferent, really, I play the game for defeating boss mechanics, defeating players, and collecting achievement points. I really could care less what area of the world or media the game derives its culture from, so long actually playing the game feels like it did, I'd be fine.

I honestly wasn't even aware of half of the Asian influences outside the obvious (names/location) until reading the crap people are posting here.
    We're not criticizing Asians, we are criticizing the game.

You racism attack is merely a cheap shot at shutting down the discussion.

You racism attack is merely a cheap shot at shutting down the discussion.
    What discussion?

I elaborated over several pages in this very thread. Can you please go back and read? lol
    This thread is 26 pages long, I'm not reading 25 pages, sorry, no. Especially when all I've read from what I did read are two words: "copy paste." I just leave with two arguments, both of which are obvious and have not been refuted at all:

1) The majority of expansion "quits" are due to Blizzard's new grinding/dailies system.

2) Actually playing the game and not whining about it doesn't really bring about "Asian overload" syndrome, a lot of the newer storylines have little/nothing to do with Asian-like culture whatsoever (read: Alliance versus Horde). Hell, the last raid of the expansion as announced is not on Pandaria, but is in Orgrimmar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love MoP's Asia theme. The rich colours, the music, the designs of buildings, forests, gardens... it's just beautiful.

Also, first example of idiocy and ignorance from the complainers: Notice that they all seem to chalk Pandaria to "China" despite the fact that it has influence from multiple Asian nations many of which have cultures distinctly different from Chinese culture.

News flash: If MOP contains a blend of cultures from multiple Southeast/Northern/whatever Asian nations, it's not a "Chinese hegemony"

I don't know that much of modern Chinese culture, but I'll wager MOP has very little actual similarity to it at all.
    Do you expect people to take you seriously when you conclude with an admission of you don't know what you are talking about? lol

China dominates in the game. I did not see Indian names and script and recipes, but almost all Chinese. It is a China expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    Just wait until all AP holders sub runs out... most of them will cancel sub. Me included.
    The Annual Pass started in October 2011. Most of the people who signed up have already either likely quit or are still with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree
    All racial leaders are dictators if you will. All nations are monarchies, if you will. Sylvanas title is Queen, and not chancelor or President. She doesn't answer to a congress, she is the sole ruler.
    Her political motive is only to restore a solid nation and peace for her people. Her attacks against Gilneas have not been her choice. She was ordered to do so.
    She is up to something, that's for sure.. But I never seen her as being driven to eliminate all Humans. For all I know she wants to claim Lordaeron for her people.
    That, of course is in contradiction to the humans, who also claim Lordaeron as theirs. Neutrally seen. Both have a rightful claim.
    The living and the undead...
    I don't want to turn this into a Forsaken thread, so I'll simply concede this.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark
    A lot of the losses were due to dailycraft; if people quit because they hated the Asian culture they would not have bought MOP in the first place, because the cultural influence was fucking obvious on the game box, every advertisement in existence, beta, and word of mouth.
    Agreed. The numbers after 5.2's release ought to give us a clearer picture as to the success of MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Killidan
    People were quitting at the end of Cata for three reasons. No content. No prospect of an epic WC expansion. Annual pass marketing trick ran its course.

The millions of losses since MOP was announced are at least "in part" due to having crap lined up as the next expansion. The outrage in Blizzcon and people saying they will quit once Cata is over in forums.

Many people hated MOP, including me, from the inception. We still bought it to give a fair assessment. Yet, it fell far short. Now after that we are quitting again, waiting for next Blizzcon.

MOP had one of the WORST launches of any expansion losing subs soon after launch. Already bleeding as content is crap and copy-paste.
    First, don't claim you know why people left during Cataclysm. You are completely wrong about when the subs started to bleed away, anyways. Right after MoP was announced, along with the Annual Pass, and 4.3 came out with transmog and LFR, subs actually stabilized for a quarter. After that, they lost about another 1 million. Cataclysm had already lost 2 million subs before MoP had been announced. Most people actually claim that the final million that were lost was because of the banality of the Dragon Soul raid. It was easily the laziest raid Blizzard had created this side of Trial of the Crusader.

After MoP came out, 1 million people came back. Since then, they have lost 400K of that. As voidspark has said, most of the complaints have been leveled at the insane amount of dailies required to gain reputation, not because the expansion has an Asian theme. I very much doubt that the 1 million people that came back all hated the Asian theme, but were going to "give it a chance" anyways. Most people who didn't like the theme just didn't buy the expansion. Your anecdote about your own experience isn't nearly convincing enough.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Wrong. I did buy MOP and I hate pandas and the Chinese domination. A new expansion, people want to give it a fair shot and decide for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Annual Pass started in October 2011. Most of the people who signed up have already either likely quit or are still with the game
    True that.....
    The World of Warcraft Annual Pass will be available until 12:01 a.m. PDT on May 1, 2012... We have only 2 more month. And those 2 month have only a fraction of AP holders left. The majority of AP subs came in the beginning, so people had their dibs on D3 and on the MoP beta.
    Anyone who joined after that, did so only for the mount.... basically very little reason to join at all, besides that mount.

they went too far with this panda land, its like they had nothing to go with and took a bucket full of talking zoo animals and put them on an island and call it an xpac.
    there is nothing intersting or new in MOP , its just a dry xpac, no story progression.
    wrath was the best xpac in terms of story and development , each faction race and hero got his story progressed , on the way to the LK we got an old god and titan development. we had the battle of UC after what the forsaken pulled at the wrath gate...there were so many things on that xpac...what do we have here? left over of a dead old god spirit called the sha? evil race called mugo that was defeated once before by only the pandas now come again and its our problem? dinos island? boring "war" story that after 20 years of warcraft when there is no obvious winner , now we are told its the main story for the xpac? who will win? no one...
    and add to that the obvious sell out of making a kong fu panda race, you can say what you want but if you realy think that blizz had no intention to ride the popularity wave of martial arts animal that loves to drink and eat you lying to youself.

which capital city pre MOP have ever had a keggery ? srsly...a drunken martial art race that can even tank while drunk without any plate armor or shield or some kind of powerfull magic of transformation to a giant beast? its an insult to the other classes...a cup of beer can make you tank a full elemental boss like ragnaros...srsly?