Poll: Do you think Turkey should one day join the EU?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not yet, but I don't mind them discussing it.

I'm more interested in getting negotiations for freer trade with the US going. It would be an incredible boost to both the EU and the US, if we could come to a free trade agreement(as Obama hinted at in his speech, he seems posetive to such negotiations) it would boost my countries GDP with roughly 4.3%(over the next 10 years), European businesses pay around 100 billions per year in custom fees trading with USA.

Even if you wouldn't scrap customs in full it would be a significant boost to both the EU and the US. Current fees for goods going into the US is 3.5%, if you'd cut that in half Swedish exports to the US would increase with around 35%, cutting it with a quarter would also be decent, increasing exports to the US with 17% and US imports to my country with 15%. I imagine it would be similiar for the other EU member states.

This would be a real job creator and a major thing for both regions.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-24 at 04:06 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Funny, the last time I checked Britain held occupied territory all over the world for an entire century and not one fuck was given by anyone else, yet when its a Muslim nation who has had territorial issues with the Greek government, its somehow such an offense that you'd sooner slit their throats?

Its that kind of Ignorance and hypocrisy that makes me wonder why we even try to join, joining the EU as a Muslim state is almost as ridiculous as trying to join a treehouse club with stupid rules on admission, and it shows how mature europe is in its thinking when it comes to Islamic tolerance and understanding.

Heres a small hint, Europe doesn't run the entire world and neither is its authority recognized as sovereign, something you guys have failed to realize for the past 1500 years... There's an entire other half of the world that hardly gives a fuck about the little club you made for yourselves.
    The past... Now that you dwell so much in the past, you mind telling me how was it America got discovered and USA became a country? I think I forgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Nope, Turkey doesn't need EU.

Also, to the guy asking about Turkey's literacy rate. It is over 96% AND university education is free in Turkey as of 2012.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think yes as an American.

politically we are better off having Turkey closer to the west than with its other neighbors. Allowing this will cause Turkey to reform.... and hopefully this will cause Turkey to admit to the Armenian genocide.

also lets force turkey to stop being awful to kurds.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I think yes as an American.

politically we are better off having Turkey closer to the west than with its other neighbors. Allowing this will cause Turkey to reform.... and hopefully this will cause Turkey to admit to the Armenian genocide.

also lets force turkey to stop being awful to kurds.

"reform.... and hopefully this will cause Turkey to admit to the Armenian genocide."

????

Also, it was the US forces that actually captured that so called "leader" of kurds in Turkey but yeah, stick to being ignorant and uneducated.

Deleted
    No, enough is enough. The EU can barely keep itself afloat now we dont need yet another country no matter whatever country it may be.

Deleted
    Turkey’s accession negotiations are stuck over the dispute over Cyprus, opposition from several quarters, and concern over human rights and freedom of speech: the European Commission says Ankara does not yet meet EU standards."
    This is why Turkey shouldn't be let into EU. The union made already too many mistakes, letting some of the non-qualified Eastern European countries, like Bulgaria and Romania, in too loosely

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavas View Post
    "reform.... and hopefully this will cause Turkey to admit to the Armenian genocide."

????

Also, it was the US forces that actually captured that so called "leader" of kurds in Turkey but yeah, stick to being ignorant and uneducated.

yes as an american citizen i am responsible for acts of the military of my government that i have zero control of

thank you ignorant one.

lets see

vague criticism over something? check!
    insulted because i should know 100% what you mean by this? CHECK!
    my opinion now no longer matters because of something i have 0 control over. CHECK CHECK CHECK!
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-02-24 at 04:31 PM.

Turkey need to clean up their Human Rights act first.

They will need to abolish the death sentence, that is a requirement that all EU members must comply with.

Deleted
    Why can't Sweden offer Turkey their spot and we can leave this "awesome" alliance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Why can't Sweden offer Turkey their spot and we can leave this "awesome" alliance.
    Good luck with that Kalmar Union.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    present it to them as a sir would, based on your avatar and sig i am sure you can do that.

yes as an american citizen i am responsible for acts of the military of my government that i have zero control of

thank you ignorant one.

lets see

vague criticism over something? check!
    insulted because i should know 100% what you mean by this? CHECK!
    my opinion now no longer matters because of something i have 0 control over. CHECK CHECK CHECK!

Awful grammar, CHECK.
    Commenting on stuff you obviously don't have the slightest clue about, DOUBLE CHECK.

Seriously, I don't even have the time to educate you.

Get off my Internet.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-02-24 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavas View Post
    Awful grammar, CHECK.
    Commenting on stuff you obviously don't have the slightest clue about, DOUBLE CHECK.

Seriously, I don't even have the time to educate you.

Get off my Internet.
    wow

what is wrong with you?'

btw can you post on topic once? or will you continue to insult me like a fool.

Deleted
    present it to them as a sir would, based on your avatar and sig i am sure you can do that.
    Yea well even though my fancyness is through the roof, I think it will be hard to get a permit to do this from the Swedish gov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    Neither does UK or Iceland.
    Now we have a great reason to pull out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Now we have a great reason to pull out

that's what he said! *knee slapper*

The E.U can work, but its amazingly complex for what it intends to be. The inner workings of the E.U are very arcane.

seriously, i think its just a case of identity crisis for turkey. i hope they realize that not every country in europe is in the eu. imo, they can be a leading figure in the middle east again, but without all the ottoman empire baggage. stick to your roots; it aint european. lead in the middle east. take up the leadership mantle that's been absent since the arabs swept across the mediterranean. organize a true arab league. stop distancing yourselves from the middle east cause you're only fooling yourself; no one else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    seriously, i think its just a case of identity crisis for turkey. i hope they realize that not every country in europe is in the eu. imo, they can be a leading figure in the middle east again, but without all the ottoman empire baggage. stick to your roots; it aint european. lead in the middle east. take up the leadership mantle that's been absent since the arabs swept across the mediterranean. organize a true arab league. stop distancing yourselves from the middle east cause you're only fooling yourself; no one else.
    But, does Turkey have the leverage to do such things?

10+ Year Old Account
    Take Turkey in, it will cause the EU to blow up faster allowing the functioning Countries to go back to being prosperous. Central fiscal responsibility without central fiscal control is retarded, sooner you can end that the better.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.