Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Scandinavian Kingdoms

Hello. I want to ask Scandinavian people, do you like that your countries are Kingdoms? Does monarchy unite people?

Deleted
    Why is this just related to the Scandinavians?

Deleted
    I believe any person in scandinavia will think monarchy is a waste of time, except for showing off to the rest of the world and having them as mediators between countries (and they're expensive mediators)

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    We all know the Queen of England isn't real.

I hate the monarchy in Norway. It's nothing personal against the royal family, per se, I just think they're useless. They have no real power, their only purpose is to be symbolic, which I care very little about. I'd take a proper republic any day. I know most people in Norway is pro-monarchy, so it most likely won't go away any time soon.
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I quite like our monarchy (Sweden). It's a good symbol. Old tradition. Give's us well educated diplomats (well, if we skip that our current king at times is a bit hamfisted, yet an ace guy).
    If they stopped being monarchs the state would likely lose most of the "crown" lands that are most likely still owned by the royal family.

But in essense?
    Yes I like them. I much rather have a powerless King, than a President with a veto.

(I wouldn't say no to a Merkel being OverLord of Europe however).

I don't think of my country as a kingdom. The monarchy and royal house is rather an old-fashioned institution sucking on the taxpayers comforting tit...

I don't see many upsides to living in an institutional monarchy but I'm okay with it. I'm a bit conservative in that area I guess

Waste of time & money.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waalt View Post
    I don't think of my country as a kingdom. The monarchy and royal house is rather an old-fashioned institution sucking on the taxpayers comforting tit...

I don't see many upsides to living in an institutional monarchy but I'm okay with it. I'm a bit conservative in that area I guess
    Yeah, unfortunately unless your kingdom is the UK, you don't get the benefit of your Monarch being a tourist attraction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Because British monarchy is so well known anyway.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I believe any person in scandinavia will think monarchy is a waste of time, except for showing off to the rest of the world and having them as mediators between countries (and they're expensive mediators)

We all know the Queen of England isn't real.
    I have to disagree... About 66% of the Danish population loves the monarchy. And as for expensive, not really, when you take into account the money we earn from tourism and other things.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    I like it.

It's not like they really have any power and apparently we have one of the worlds lowest paid royal family's so the cost doesn't bother me all that much compared to other useless things in society. At least they bring the population together and do a very good job at representing us on an international scale.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Waste of time & money.
    Really? What about all those immigrants who live just on welfare? No offence but the monarchy in Sweden is little of concern when compared to other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    Really? What about all those immigrants who live just on welfare? No offence but the monarchy in Sweden is little of concern when compared to other issues.
    Well, our royalty is basically living of welfare. Except their check could feed thousands of immigrants, so yeah, I don't really have a problem with immigrants.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Well your disagreeing on Scandinavian migration is nothing compared to living in the middle of a war where your socalled leaders murder their own people.
    Migration to sweden is little of concern when compared to other issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Well, our royalty is basically living of welfare. Except their check could feed thousands of immigrants, so yeah, I don't really have a problem with immigrants.
    Well, atleast from what I've understood the royal family unites people and dont cause violence and crime.

Well, atleast from what I've understood the royal family unites people and dont cause violence and crime.
    Reality isn't that black and white.

Deleted
    Immigrants accept terrible jobs that no one wants to do, yet needs to be done so you can live your welfare life. They dont cause more violence and crimes than Swedish people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because British monarchy is so well known anyway.
    What about Belgium, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, Spain and all non-European kingdoms?

Anyhow, on topic: A rising number of Swedes want to abolish the monarchy, but I'm not entirely sure whether that group of people is actually large, or just loud. As far as I know, it's safe to say that a majority of Swedes either want to keep monarchy, or see no reason to make abolishing it a priority. I'm part of the latter group; there are many things to fix before spending time getting rid of a few individuals who doesn't really cost us any noticeable amount of money.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    Immigrants accept terrible jobs that no one wants to do, yet needs to be done so you can live your welfare life. They dont cause more violence and crimes than Swedish people.
    I think that statement is incorrect, they do the jobs that nobody wants to do but will do them anyway in order to lead a reasonable life, yet undercut you with the wages. Making it worth more to stay at home and collect benefits than try and undercut someone that will work for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    They do actually cause more crime.

But I am of the opinion that it's a failure of integrating them into our society (being discriminated etc), which can be a two-way problem. Both groups (natives & immigrants) need to work together. We need to treat them better, and they need to respect our society values.