Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I think that statement is incorrect, they do the jobs that nobody wants to do but will do them anyway in order to lead a reasonable life, yet undercut you with the wages. Making it worth more to stay at home and collect benefits than try and undercut someone that will work for peanuts.
    You are left with the option to pick a job you like, if you want to live on minimum wage instead, fine by me, your loss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    You are left with the option to pick a job you like, if you want to live on minimum wage instead, fine by me, your loss.
    Life is not so fluffy, many people cannot just "pick a job they like but choose minimum wage instead". Where did you get this idea? Many people want steady work, but cannot get it because immigrants are undercutting them. They pay their workers less than minimum wage (which is illegal) and get round this by housing too many people in one accommodation (again, illegal).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    They do actually cause more crime.

But I am of the opinion that it's a failure of integrating them into our society (being discriminated etc), which can be a two-way problem. Both groups (natives & immigrants) need to work together. We need to treat them better, and they need to respect our society values.
    I totally agree with everything except the amount of crimes.
    But to continue on your statement/argument, criminallity is soley related to bad socioeconomic status and not whether you are immigrant or native citizen.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 08:39 PM ----------

Life is not so fluffy, many people cannot just "pick a job they like but choose minimum wage instead". Where did you get this idea? Many people want steady work, but cannot get it because immigrants are undercutting them. They pay their workers less than minimum wage (which is illegal) and get round this by housing too many people in one accommodation (again, illegal).
    Thoose people had the option to pick the better job, they just failed to pick it at the right time and now it's too late.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, our royalty is basically living of welfare. Except their check could feed thousands of immigrants, so yeah, I don't really have a problem with immigrants.
    Actually, for members of the royal family to be payed they actually need to work. They can't just party and have fun to get money from the taxfund. Ofc, the family has some private assets etc as well that can be used.
    A large sum of the tax that goes to the royal family also goes to the plenthora of old castles and grounds that comes with them.

Really dont care about it. Many people here like it and i guess it can be seen as living history as we have the oldest monarchy in the world and oldest flag to boot.

Deleted
    But to continue on your statement/argument, criminallity is soley related to bad socioeconomic status and not whether you are immigrant or native citizen.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 08:39 PM ----------

Thoose people had the option to pick the better job, they just failed to pick it at the right time and now it's too late.
    How old are you? I bet you still live at home living off the goodwill of your parents. Nobody that has ever had hardship in their lives would state "They had the option to pick a better job".

15+ Year Old Account
    You might also become a criminal by dogmatically following an ideology that clashes with the laws of your country, which is certainly a problem with some Middle Eastern immigrants.

OnT: Our king is funny, but I don't really see the point in having a royal house. Then again, it's not like it's doing any real harm either. The money it costs is miniscule compared to all the other stuff we waste tax money on.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

And here I was under the assumption you actually have to have some qualifications for certain professions. But then again, I'm working just a bit above minimum wage myself, what do I know, huh?

Not everyone has the opportunity to pick a profession they most feel like doing. I'd rather pay my bills now than starve while applying to jobs I'll never land or wasting my time studying a degree that still won't help me get a job.

On topic, however, I really have no opinion. My country is not a monarchy (constitutional or otherwise), but other than some pretty embarrassing details of the life of a certain king in a certain neighboring country, seems like them royal folk is pretty harmless. There are some people in power here in Finland however, who I'd very much like to see dethroned (heh) but alas, I'm not the one doing the choosing (and curse that fellow d'Hondt).

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I believe any person in scandinavia will think monarchy is a waste of time, except for showing off to the rest of the world and having them as mediators between countries (and they're expensive mediators)

We all know the Queen of England isn't real.
    Why would I hate it? Alright got a "leader" in the prime minister, don't need a president with no cultural value who doesn't generate any money except for their own elections.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    How old are you? I bet you still live at home living off the goodwill of your parents. Nobody that has ever had hardship in their lives would state "They had the option to pick a better job".
    Dont be rude and insult people you have no idea who they are. I am a PhD student in Applied mathematics. I don't even live in the same city as my parents.

Deleted
    Dont be rude and insult people you have no idea who they are. I am a PhD student in Applied mathematics. I don't even live in the same city as my parents.
    Ah, so never had to look for work in order to survive? Explains the attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I have to disagree... About 66% of the Danish population loves the monarchy. And as for expensive, not really, when you take into account the money we earn from tourism and other things.
    Link to the poll showing that and the demographic? As a Danish citizen, I can say that I think it's a major waste of both time and money. As previously stated in the topic, they have no power, and they're spending taxpayer money we could use for something usefull instead of letting a family of people who have done nothing to deserve it "live like kings" (quite literally).

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with it. They got no real power whatsoever and is a nice uniting force in times of need.
    They also do a tremendous ammount of PR for the country traveling with trade delegations, handing out the Nobel Price etc which added up trumps the appanage by miles.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm speaking for myself here but I like Queen Elizabeth. I like her in the same way that a person likes a mean grandma. You really care about her and wish her the best, but you don't want to live in her house. I'll be sad when she dies. I may be biased since I have estranged and distant family in the Uk, but I wonder if anyone else feels similar (about monarchs in general)
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I'm speaking for myself here but I like Queen Elizabeth. I like her in the same way that a person likes a mean grandma. You really care about her and wish her the best, but you don't want to live in her house. I'll be sad when she dies. I may be biased since I have estranged and distant family in the Uk, but I wonder if anyone else feels similar (about monarchs in general)
    I feel like Lizzie will be the end of British Monarchy as we know it. Charles is a fool that nobody takes seriously, William is too much like a regular celebrity now, he was raised to be Royal but I think the media has ruined him.

Deleted
    Well, our royalty is basically living of welfare. Except their check could feed thousands of immigrants, so yeah, I don't really have a problem with immigrants.
    I don't know about Sweden, but the British Royal Family pays for itself and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Link to the poll showing that and the demographic? As a Danish citizen, I can say that I think it's a major waste of both time and money. As previously stated in the topic, they have no power, and they're spending taxpayer money we could use for something usefull instead of letting a family of people who have done nothing to deserve it "live like kings" (quite literally).
    I don't think the royals cost more money than they generate through tourism. I don't think we need a president because it's a waste of taxpayers money, presidents get to "live like kings" too so they're not really better... they're supposed to represent the values of democracy yet they're a lot richer than average person. Might as well have a king/queen who doesn't only take money instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I don't think the royals cost more money than they generate through tourism. I don't think we need a president because it's a waste of taxpayers money, presidents get to "live like kings" too so they're not really better... they're supposed to represent the values of democracy yet they're a lot richer than average person. Might as well have a king/queen who doesn't only take money instead.
    Most leaders are already incredibly wealthy before they take office.

Look at how many Senators and Congressmen in the US are millionaires.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Most leaders are already incredibly wealthy before they take office.

Look at how many Senators and Congressmen in the US are millionaires.
    It would be easier to count how many are NOT.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like Lizzie will be the end of British Monarchy as we know it. Charles is a fool that nobody takes seriously, William is too much like a regular celebrity now, he was raised to be Royal but I think the media has ruined him.
    Indeed. I have no doubt that it will be commercialized even further and will wither away into nothingness.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.