Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    I don't know about Sweden, but the British Royal Family pays for itself and then some.
    Indeed, you guys get shitloads of cash, thanks to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

A good video that explains it very well.

Deleted
    Its not like they have any power. They're just figure-heads of our countries.

Deleted
    Monarchy is all about inequality, which sucks, plus, it's a waste of the tax payers' moneyz.

Quote Originally Posted by Garp View Post
    Monarchy is all about inequality, which sucks, plus, it's a waste of the tax payers' moneyz.
    And ironically the Scandinavian countries have the highest equality in the world.

I live in Sweden and I do not support our monarchy. Even if they don't have a leading role in society, they do get a bunch of the tax payers money because it's their "birthright?". None of them have done anything useful lately except for running charity operations and such. Heck, our king is even a dyslexic fool who ruins peace conferences.

I've got nothing against our royal family, but I'm not a big fan of them either. As long as they stay politically neutral and behave properly. As for the expenses, I believe the income from tourism at least close to covers it, and the difference from having a president in terms of cost is probably minimal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hostorically speaking, Norway does a crap job of hanging on to norwegian culture. We let our non-christian holidays fade into obscurity, our kids believe we have always celebrated Halloween like they do in the U.S., and we generally only have to norwegian cultural 'things' left: Bunad (national suit) and our monarchy. It gives us (at least some of us :P) a sense of belonging to something bigger, having an identity as a people, separate from politics.

Most benefits of having a monarch are things that can't be measured, but I honestly think we're better off for having one. And Norway's king, at least, can't be called useless: The guy represented us in three different Olympics (yachting/sailing), and his crew won the bronze, silver and gold medals in the sailing World Championship in 1988, 1982 and 1987 respectively. So our king has literally represented us several times^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    I like the idea of monarchy. Sweden has always been a monarchy, to give it up would be wrong. It part of our history, and history to become. Last time there was a royal wedding, it unified people from every corner of Sweden. Loads of ppl went to Stockholm just to say " Hey. I was there" What things does that in a was that monarchy does?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Does the Scandinavian royalty bring in alot of money? If so its probably a safe bet to keep them around.
    In Sweden they do and I presume it is the same for Norway and Denmark.
    The big slab of the appanage is used for upkeep of the royal castles and estates, all of them of national historical value so we would pay for them with tax money either way, that is what many dont recognize
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-02-24 at 08:44 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    I'd like to keep them around in Denmark. I don't know how the finances come up, probably with a plus here in different ways. I'd much rather like to see the religious favoritism gone before the trails of monarchism are erased. Plus we got a nice family here in DK, so that would be good to have for some more time. It's not like they decide much anyway and not really anything political of importance.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Link to the poll showing that and the demographic? As a Danish citizen, I can say that I think it's a major waste of both time and money. As previously stated in the topic, they have no power, and they're spending taxpayer money we could use for something usefull instead of letting a family of people who have done nothing to deserve it "live like kings" (quite literally).
    A week or so ago, there was a poll in Go' Aften Danmark, showing that basically a third of all danes were either indifferent or wanted it abolished, so that kinda means that the remaining 66.6% are pro-monarchy.

And thanks to all the visits and friendships with other parts of the world, Denmark is regarded as one heck of a country, which sparks tourism amongst other things, which leads to money.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    In Sweden they do and I presume it is the same for Norway and Denmark.
    The big slab of the appanage is used for upkeep of the royal castles and estates, all of them of national historical value so we would pay for them with tax money either way, that is what many dont recognize
    And tourists pay to visit said places so...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Old people like monarchy, they want to keep it "classic". I can't say that younger people care for their king/queen - atleast I'm not. I can't really say that they're doing anything of "worth" to our country than taking taxmoney and to create big newpaperarticles about something they've done. Useless, if you ask me.
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like the monarchy in Norway. On the other hand, I do not like our princess, mostly due to her past. But that's just me. The royal family is the highest chief of pretty much anything, but would rarely use any of those roles in order to overrule what is done further down the line. They're pretty much just someone who will put the kingdom in a good lighting.
    Last edited by Pancha; 2013-02-24 at 08:57 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post

And tourists pay to visit said places so...
    How is that relevant? You do understand it is about more than the royal castle?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    Hello. I want to ask Scandinavian people, do you like that your countries are Kingdoms? Does monarchy unite people?
    SE/DK/NO are monarchies, FI is a republic. Are SE/DK/NO more united the FI? I think it has more or less no effect what so ever. There is a small verbal group that wants a republic instead but everytime the future queen posts new baby pictures or there is a wedding the numbers in favor of the royality goes up slightly, only to take a hit again when the King is accused of going to stripclubs in Atlanta, fucking someone that isn't the Queen, the Queens father being a Nazi, prince/princesses doing drugs and fucking around etc.

Does it unite people? No, I doubt it. If it has an effect it's very minor. Having our team win the Ice-Hockey world cup or something similar has or would have more of a unity effect then the king, and/or future queen. The Kings annual newyears speech the last few years have pissed off more people that he has managed to unite.

Is it a giant waste of money? Not really. It's not like the alternative would be cheaper. Having a President isn't exactlly free, possibly he wouldn't need as many castles around the country side. But on the other hand those places wouldn't vanish into this air if he wasn't around so the cost to the government would still be there. The entire security/publicity/facility apparatus surrounding them would still be there, just serving someone else.

Plus the current King has more or less no actual power what so ever. So if he wants to stick around and be King I'm cool with that. It doesn't make any difference to me.
    Last edited by looorg; 2013-02-24 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    I think it's cool that we are a monarchy, seems boring to not have a king Though I want the king to grow a viking beard so he looks more like a king!

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I don't think the royals cost more money than they generate through tourism. I don't think we need a president because it's a waste of taxpayers money, presidents get to "live like kings" too so they're not really better... they're supposed to represent the values of democracy yet they're a lot richer than average person. Might as well have a king/queen who doesn't only take money instead.
    Tourists are here for the estates, history and tradition. Not for the "blue bloods" themselves.
    I don't see why we would need a president instead of a monarch, though. I never said I wanted either. I am not a person who bothers alot with politics, mind, so I might be wrong and we might need one, but I just don't see it - as far as I've understood, the queen we have currently has no real impact on how the country is run. She's just "there".

Kings and queens are a reminiscent from a long forgotten era, where "ruling a kingdom" actually ment ruling it, rather than being a frontfigure.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    How is that relevant? You do understand it is about more than the royal castle?
    It's relevant because, the income from the tourism helps quite a bit, thus making the royalty that much more relevant.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aronaz View Post
    Old people like monarchy, they want to keep it "classic". I can't say that younger people care for their king/queen - atleast I'm not. I can't really say that they're doing anything of "worth" to our country than taking taxmoney and to create big newpaperarticles about something they've done. Useless, if you ask me.
    Or people who care about history, culture, a national feel and legacy.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Dunno if it unites people and I don't mind it, personally I don't care much for the royal family.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Actually, for members of the royal family to be payed they actually need to work. They can't just party and have fun to get money from the taxfund. Ofc, the family has some private assets etc as well that can be used.
    A large sum of the tax that goes to the royal family also goes to the plenthora of old castles and grounds that comes with them.
    And people on welfare are also required to do certain duties (ranging from actively searching for a job or working out a medical plan with your doctor to get healthier)
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance