Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Streaming is a social experience, also people who have facecam are most often more interesting to watch because you can see how they interact with the viewer, eg. Hand/head movements. It's really the same as talking to a friend, do you feel more comfortable listening to a "wall" or their actual face?

90% of them heard of ppl making lots of money streaming. And they think they can do the same. Making quick bucks playing games. Snap back to reality son

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    My question is... what's the big draw in that?
    The potential for internet celebrity-ism. Most people think that they are a lot more interesting than they are. They're generally not of course but this is an area where ego blinds people to the fact that they are basically just ordinary and not really that special. Combine all of that with the belief that you're hot stuff at game X or Y and there you go.

On the flip side of this, there are a few people who are genuinely interested in doing educational things like tutorials and guides. Those are better left to prepared videos though than streaming.

Mostly it's the first paragraph.

EDIT: Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with those who stream for friends or purely social reasons. That's fine.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-24 at 08:19 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I get why actual professionals do it. They get paid. But for 99% of the rest of the world, it seems silly to me. I'm not saying it's wrong, or stupid, I simply don't understand why.
    Because you don't start off being professional.

I don't really get it either. If someone's good enough to be considered professional, that's one thing, but other than that I just don't see the point. I guess hot girls can webcam themselves while they play and they'll get enough viewers to make money too, sadly. The only incentive I could ever see for doing it is to get constructive criticism and improve my play, but most of the time stream chat is rude far beyond constructive, so that's not even a good enough reason. I also don't see why they feel the need to show their webcam while they play. Nobody gives a crap what they look like unless they're hot girls, so why cover a quarter of the screen with themselves?

Almost every other computer people are building these days, one of their desires is to do live streaming.

My question is... what's the big draw in that?

Mind you, I personally dislike facebook, twitter, and social networking in general, and I have no desire to tell the world about every little inane thing I think and do. So maybe that's why I don't get it. I just don't see why someone would want to spend an extra $100-$300 just to livestream them playing WoW (or whatever other games).

I get why actual professionals do it. They get paid. But for 99% of the rest of the world, it seems silly to me. I'm not saying it's wrong, or stupid, I simply don't understand why.
    I do it cause well for number one. it's fun for me. and its a lot easier than taking screenshots and/or adding a video up on youtube. The things I play is mostly mmo's or the Sims 3. Now picture this. If you were someone who couldn't make up your mind to invest money in a video game that you wanted but didn't know exactly how it would be. Wouldn't you like to get a glance at it through another players eyes? (maybe even a start to finish of a game) I watch some streams of people playing games just so i can see if i want to buy it or not.

Yeah, you can watch youtube videos of the game. but those are mostly always edited and things are left out ;p

Now the part that gets me is.. i don't see why people get on webcam WHILE streaming. I don't do that. and I sure as heck don't want to watch them while trying to watch the boss mechanic they are doinh

Made by Visenna, TY<3

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Nobody gives a crap what they look like unless they're hot girls, so why cover a quarter of the screen with themselves?
    Oh god 'girl gamerz' livestreaming is a whole different conversation, in my opinion it's a monstrosity in-game AND livestreaming.
    I'm talking about the attitude, not the gender btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stream because I enjoy talking to people and answering questions. I play an Elemental Shaman in a top guild, so many people have questions such as "zomg why do you play that spec!?"

Granted I have just started streaming, its fun to help others. I don't ask for donations- heck I don't even have a donation panel. Someone has asked me where it was because he wanted to toss a few my way, so I may bring one up... I just don't want to do it for money. I'm going to be playing anyways- might as well talk to people while doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    Oh god 'girl gamerz' livestreaming is a whole different conversation, in my opinion it's a monstrosity in-game AND livestreaming.
    I'm talking about the attitude, not the gender btw.
    I agree, unfortunately it is a truth. A girl can get triple the viewers of a guy with equal skill. I blame the viewers more than the girls.

I think it's because people see others making money doing it so think that they can too and because maybe they just want the attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some probably do it just for fun. Others probably do it for attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Some probably do it just for fun. Others probably do it for attention.
    I'm not going to name and shame, but there are plenty of twitch streamers who are females that flirt with everyone in order to get donations. Now, most of them aren't even attractive by most standards yet they're piling on makeup, wearing low cut shirts and talking all cutesy to the streamers while giggling in between every other word. I can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I'm not going to name and shame, but there are plenty of twitch streamers who are females that flirt with everyone in order to get donations. Now, most of them aren't even attractive by most standards yet they're piling on makeup, wearing low cut shirts and talking all cutesy to the streamers while giggling in between every other word. I can't stand it.
    So. . . don't watch them?

I don't exactly see the problem. The women who do that sort of thing obviously enjoy it, there's obviously an audience for it, and really, you've got no place at all judging any of them for doing what they enjoy. Just. . . leave it, if it's not to your tastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The women who do that sort of thing obviously enjoy it
    Who doesn't enjoy money?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Who doesn't enjoy money?
    Few people indeed.

There are, however, plenty of folks who won't do things they don't enjoy; even with the prospect of money or material gain. And if you don't enjoy being seen, making a spectacle of yourself, you won't do well streaming for donations. Even if we assume all of the overblown ranting about how 'easy' it is for 'girl gamerz' to stream for cash is true, they still don't do well if they're not into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    Even if we assume all of the overblown ranting about how 'easy' it is for 'girl gamerz' to stream for cash is true, they still don't do well if they're not into it.
    That doesn't really make showing your tits off to a bunch of idiots sad enough to pay for the gesture any less tacky imo.

Can't deny the profit though. It certainly works.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    That doesn't really make showing your tits off to a bunch of idiots sad enough to pay for the gesture any less tacky imo.

Can't deny the profit though. It certainly works.
    But, going back to what I said in my previous post (which wasn't originally directed at you, but applies just as well):

"Really, you've got no place at all judging any of them for doing what they enjoy. Just. . . leave it, if it's not to your tastes."

I live stream my raid several days a week (as well as some occasional LoL games) because I thoroughly enjoy it. I enjoy interaction with whatever viewers I gain, plus my stream is used for guildies/raiders to watch if they are sitting out on a certain fight. I pay a fee for an XSplit license, which I don't believe is even $100 a year. It's probably why people encourage donations.

On average, I get anything from 10 viewers and peak out to ~150 viewers the night I killed H Sha. That's a lot of viewers to me, though it doesn't compare to professional streamers or gamers. I find interaction with others to be entertaining, and I always learn something from my viewers as well. I've gained a lot of friends from more progressed guilds that try to help my guild down a boss. I have become a good friend of Riggnaros just due to my streaming. It gets me, my gameplay, and my guild's name out there whether I intend to be doing so or not. There is definitely a social aspect to streaming, where if you dislike social networking or social interaction via the internet, then streaming may not be for you. Streaming is good for those who like and can handle attention (not necessarily "attention whoring"). I have friends and guildies who like streaming still when they get only 2-5 viewers, all of who are probably other guildies.

One last thing that I really enjoy about streaming is being able to watch it later. I can watch my mistakes, I can see EXACTLY what happened (did I actually screw up there? How the heck did I really die?) And also, I can see my reactions, as well as rewatch a progression kill (mmm, H Sha nerd screams!)

I do not get paid to stream. I don't even have a donation page (yet). I do have loyal viewers and friends I've made through streaming that I would have befriended no other way. I hope this gives you some insight why some people may enjoy streaming, but it is definitely not for everyone.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Touchyfeely View Post
    Now the part that gets me is.. i don't see why people get on webcam WHILE streaming. I don't do that. and I sure as heck don't want to watch them while trying to watch the boss mechanic they are doinh
    I have my webcam on while I stream, but I'll let you know I'm not a hypocrite about it. I love it when people have webcams, and I'm generally more likely to watch someone who has their webcam on. Why? I like to see the person behind the mask. I like to see people's reactions. Some people react just based on other people's reactions. Someone dies to something completely stupid? I'll likely facepalm or have a dumbfounded face.

What I don't understand are the people who make their webcams way too large where it actually covers some aspects of their UI. My webcam sits where my chat box is and no bigger, and it's a perfectly fine size in my opinion.

EDIT: I've had some guildies and friends (all male) start streaming and I'd always say "where's the webcam!" And I'm serious about it. I thoroughly enjoy people streaming with their webcams on.
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2013-02-25 at 04:07 PM.

Some people find it fun /shrug. You can also make some nice money if you are very good at the game you play.
    Hi Sephurik