Poll: Do you think Turkey should one day join the EU?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No it isn't.

There are about 1,000 Greek soldiers stationed in Cyprus (ΕΛΔΥΚ). Under no circumstances could they be called an occupation force, and their presence has been agreed by all sides since 1959.

There are at least 20,000 Turkish soldiers in the occupied zone, with some estimates doubling that number. Far larger than the 1959 agreed force, which is supposed to be similar to the Greek level.

For comparison; the Cypriot army numbers 12,500 with 75,000 armed reservists, and there are about 3,500 British troops on the Cyprus bases.
    So what? Why does it even mater if their are Turkish armed forcers stationed in the Turkish side of Cyprus? Do they suddenly prevent both sides reaching a peace agreement.....answer is NO.

The Greek side refused in a referendum, the Turkish side didn't.

The only thing the Turkish army does is preventing the Greek side from taken the whole island by force

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    well, im sure we can go back and forth and nitpick, but the core issue was whether the eu had any relations. i think the argument that the eu has a long historical relation is much much more tenable than the argument that the eu has no relations.
    Yes individual European countries have long cultural ties, which however are shared with USA, Canada, NZ and Australia. As such, this hardly constituted an argument for European integration.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    <snipped video>

I think this about sums up the feelings Eastern Europeans have about Turkish people, just check the description.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-24 at 10:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakingBad420 View Post

I think this about sums up the feelings Eastern Europeans have about Turkish people, just check the description.
    The Turks are not very popular, thats for sure. Over here they have a reputation for knife crime.

Tupac alive in Serbia
    I've always suspected this

Deleted

that is some 4chan/pol/ shit there.

What i get from this thread is that people are very quick to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The Turks are not very popular, thats for sure. Over here they have a reputation for knife crime.
    People never like those that used to massacre them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    People never like those that used to massacre them.
    Talking about Turkish current stance on the Armenian genocide or of the occupation of Cyprus is one thing, but digging up massacres done by bashibozuc irregulars in the 19th century is quite ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Talking about Turkish current stance on the Armenian genocide or of the occupation of Cyprus is one thing, but digging up massacres done by bashibozuc irregulars in the 19th century is quite ridiculous.
    Well when we link what the regular army did we get "they were following orders". When we link what irregular turkish/albanian/gypsy volunteers did we get "why don't you link what the regular army did"... What?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Well its the same as Germany still being a bunch of Nazi's - No one dare to say it, everybody thinks it!

Oh wait!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Drop it mate it's embarrassing.
    He thinks Erdogan is a "religious dictator".
    If you think this is truthful....
    Oh, sorry if I grasp Erdogan as simply another one of this era's racist world leaders.
    What do I think of him? Oh, lets see:
    "In 1974 he wrote, directed and played the lead role in the play Maskomya"
    Which would be the 70's turkish version of Mein Kampf, pretty much.
    His political career is one of hypocrisy and lies. All the political parties he has been in, were either banned or disbanded for being islamist and unconstitutional.

And yet, here you are, playing devil's advocate... Hilariously enough.
    So... How about you drop it?
    Last edited by Valort; 2013-02-24 at 10:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well when we link what the regular army did we get "they were following orders". When we link what irregular turkish/albanian/gypsy volunteers did we get "why don't you link what the regular army did"... What?
    It is not about whether is was done by regulars or militia, it happened in 19th century and it should be set aside.

<snipped video>

That just sums up racist part of Eastern Europe. Anyone with half brain wouldn't blame current Turkish generation for what happened in that era thus do not hate. If you dig more we were pretty sweetheart with Balkan Countries in 13th century.

I hope this hate towards Turkish People is just vocal minority of Europe because if it's not I need to delay my vocation for Belgium(those beers...) and other European countries.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2013-02-24 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I can understand from an ethical point of view. Although we do our share of bad stuff over here too. But from an economical/political point of view there is plenty of benefits.
    A strong country rich in industries and resources...
    And yet, oh so starving.
    With an average salary per capita lower than any other EU member, with a steep growth of poverty every year, and a literacy rate under 88%, Turkey really does have a lot to offer to the EU. /end sarcasm

Loads of industries and resources... If you're willing to break your back and go bankrupt clearing the rubble out of the way.
    Simply comparable to buying an old American muscle car. It eats away all your oil, pollutes your air, makes a lot of noise, and require a lot of maintenance... But hey, look at the bright side: Leather seats!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    Oh, sorry if I grasp Erdogan as simply another one of this era's racist world leaders.
    What do I think of him? Oh, lets see:
    "In 1974 he wrote, directed and played the lead role in the play Maskomya"
    Which would be the 70's turkish version of Mein Kampf, pretty much.
    His political career is one of hypocrisy and lies. All the political parties he has been in, were either banned or disbanded for being islamist and unconstitutional.

And yet, here you are, playing devil's advocate... Hilariously enough, you are quite a courtroom failure.
    So... How about you drop it?
    Do I need to comment on this? Sentences like "his political career is one of hypocrisy and lies", suddenly make it true?
    Maskomya, and main kampf... Do you even know what you're talking about?
    He is a politician. The country he ran for years has improved tenfold.
    I look at facts, you follow your theories.

What a pile of nonsense. I've had just about enough I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    So what? Why does it even mater if their are Turkish armed forcers stationed in the Turkish side of Cyprus? Do they suddenly prevent both sides reaching a peace agreement.....answer is NO.

The Greek side refused in a referendum, the Turkish side didn't.

The only thing the Turkish army does is preventing the Greek side from taken the whole island by force
    Of course the vote was rejected, the proposed plan was ridiculously one sided.

- It advocated a 50/50 split in power, despite an 80/20 split in population.
    - It allowed Turkey to interfere in Cyprus whenever it felt like doing so, including militarily, and to retain a military presence there.
    - Greek-Cypriots would have had to compensate illegal Turkish settlers return to Turkey.
    - Greek-Cypriots could not reclaim their property, nor have the right to live anywhere within their own country, yet Turkish-Cypriots could do both.
    - It ignored the Geneva Convention.
    - It went against EU law.

There were numerous other issues as well.

The notion that Greek-Cypriots intend to forcibly take the entire island the moment Turkey pulls its troops out is laughable, as they have neither the will, nor the ability, to do such a thing. As to the idea that Turkish troops make no difference to implementation of the process, well that would be true if Turkey had guaranteed to remove them once the process was completed, but they refused to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    That just sums up racist part of Eastern Europe. Anyone with half brain wouldn't blame current Turkish generation for what happened in that era thus do not hate. If you dig more we were pretty sweetheart with Balkan Countries in 13th century.
    Killing and Exiling the aristocracy? Burning the libraries? Destroying the churches? Taking 1/5th of people as slaves?

You can't be serious. The ottomans turned the Balkans from a normal part of europe that was entering renaissance in to an backward place stuck on the middle ages like most of the middle east.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I hope this hate towards Turkish People is just vocal minority of Europe because if it's not I need to delay my vocation for Belgium(those beers...) and other European countries.
    Come to Croatia, we kind of love Turkey and Turkish culture right now (a bit because of the TV series Suleiman which is hugely popular here). And that's all despite the fact the Ottoman Empire was trying to conquer Croatia for like 300 years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    And yet, oh so starving.
    With an average salary per capita lower than any other EU member, with a steep growth of poverty every year, and a literacy rate under 88%, Turkey really does have a lot to offer to the EU. /end sarcasm

Loads of industries and resources... If you're willing to break your back and go bankrupt clearing the rubble out of the way.
    Simply comparable to buying an old American muscle car. It eats away all your oil, pollutes your air, makes a lot of noise, and require a lot of maintenance... But hey, look at the bright side: Leather seats!
    Mate, just google things before you write em.
    Literacy is in the 90-97% bracket, about poverty and salaries, you see, they're a raising country, we aren't. GDP growth in turkey 8.49%. Spain is at 0.7% growth, just to give you an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Killing and Exiling the aristocracy? Burning the libraries? Destroying the churches? Taking 1/5th of people as slaves?

You can't be serious. The ottomans turned the Balkans from a normal part of europe that was entering renaissance in to an backward place stuck on the middle ages like most of the middle east.
    Do you not notice the part "13th century"? Besides, the whole point of the post you quoted was to say that the current Turkish generations aren't to blame for that yet here you are going on about the exact same thing. It doesn't matter what the Ottoman Empire did. It's like going on a crusade against the Germans for what Hitler did and of course that can't be done because Germany is a developed country, but, of course, we all hate Turkey so let's just spew shit and insult people for no reason.

Chill out.