Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Headphone cord cut by vacuum

So the title pretty much covers it. My girlfriend bought me these. Now I know I'm going to get a lot of hate but I LOVED them. Sooo comfortable. Anyway she ran them over with the vacuum and cut the cord.

I stripped the rubber and the cords are fiber. As far as I know I cant connect them just with a wire nut and some electrical tape. My question is this; Is there anyway to fix them or am I S.O.L?

Deleted
    try warranty ? xD
    doubt it's possible to actually fix them without losing quality compared to new ones.

Best fix with diy methods is soldering in whole new cord and plug instead of trying to repair broken cord. Especially if the cord is flimsy enough to break if you just run a normal household vacuum cleaner over it, it's probably worthless shit anyway.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Razer.. breaking easily since.. forever!

You could try replacing the whole cord as said, but the easiest way would be to try out and see if the warranty covers this accident.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Best fix with diy methods is soldering in whole new cord and plug instead of trying to repair broken cord. Especially if the cord is flimsy enough to break if you just run a normal household vacuum cleaner over it, it's probably worthless shit anyway.
    Well its not like the wheels just ran over it and it snapped. It got spun up in the roller and frayed, severing some of the wires. Either way I think I'm gonna have to hope Razer is feeling generous (doubtful), seeing as I don't feel comfortable soldering nor do I own a soldering tool.

UpDATE: Just got the e-mail response from Razer. No replacement possible since it was due to negligence. Guess I should have made a "Getting new headset need suggestions" thread instead.
    Last edited by Brash; 2013-02-24 at 10:22 PM. Reason: update

Erm, you can diy yourself a new cord pretty easily. you can cut the old one and solder it back too.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    you can cut the old one and solder it back too.
    Very hard if it's one of those new type of cables with very thin copper strands all packed together into single bunch that are fashionable in the most light-weight headphones nowadays. The cables arent separated by anything except small layer of laquer on the copper and you can't tell which of the 100 or so strands belong to which terminal of the plug. In that case it's much easier to just replace whole cable than try to figure out what goes where.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    With the laqured cords, if colour coded, you can rejoin them, use a lighter to burn off the laquering then use something to scrape the ash off (my nail) to expose the copper, twist appropriate wires together and tape them so the seperate wires dont touch. works for piddly headphone cords too. no need to solder

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Very hard if it's one of those new type of cables with very thin copper strands all packed together into single bunch that are fashionable in the most light-weight headphones nowadays. The cables arent separated by anything except small layer of laquer on the copper and you can't tell which of the 100 or so strands belong to which terminal of the plug. In that case it's much easier to just replace whole cable than try to figure out what goes where.
    I'd assume it's color-coded.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    usually green tinged, red tinged and clear, not sure on mic colours

Deleted
    Woman's Fault for not watching where the vacuum cleaner was going properly so make her get you a new set.
    in my family, and in my home if YOU break somthing then it is YOU who is going to replace it. its called responsibility. even if it was an accident

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Woman's Fault for not watching where the vacuum cleaner was going properly so make her get you a new set.
    in my family, and in my home if YOU break somthing then it is YOU who is going to replace it. its called responsibility. even if it was an accident
    Technically, she already covered it, in reverse.

She bought them, she broke them.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Deleted
    She might also be the one that controls who sleeps on the couch after that

It's a shame and I think the guilt on her is punishment enough. Because that's how I look at it. It's done by accident.

Looks like you have to look for a new headset. I got myself a Razer Carcharias aswell. But after my Naga breaking on me, I decided to not get Razer ever again.
    So, I am going to suggest getting the: Logitech G35 Surround Headset. A friend of mine has it, and dear god.. It's like Angels are touching your ears. It's comfortable, great sound and the cord is a lot firmer. It's a bit expensive.. But! It's a good investment, if you'd ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either get new headphones, or just buy some decent $30 sennheisers. Any DIY solution will either cost as much, or simply not have the same quality. Save yourself some work, and possibly money.

I would say just get new razers but... Eh. Razer's products are nice, but break easily, both to accidents and simple wear. I've never liked a single razer product.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I was looking at the low end sennheisers, but they all sit on your ear and that gets really uncofrtable for me really quickly.

Also as mentioned above she is replacing them =)

Is rosewill any good?
    Last edited by Brash; 2013-02-25 at 01:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    It's a shame and I think the guilt on her is punishment enough.
    that is like saying "Oh hey I am sorry I ran into your car, was totally my fault for not looking where I was going. I guess my feeling really guilty about it will cover the cost of the repairs."

Doesn't matter if she bought them then accidentally damaged them later on. They are / where your property. She deprived you from that property through her own negligence and should either replace, or repair them. Im not suggesting you go all Judge Judy on her ass and sue for a new pair, but she should bear the cost of the replacement.

if you let her "get away" with it you are basically saying "Hey im a push over, you can do what you want and I will forgive you" If the relationship cant stand a little honesty in it where one can say to the other "well you broke it, you fix it" then there is issue that you need to address other than a broken piece of equipment.

But from what the OP has stated she is replacing them, so she is a keeper

that is like saying "Oh hey I am sorry I ran into your car, was totally my fault for not looking where I was going. I guess my feeling really guilty about it will cover the cost of the repairs."

Doesn't matter if she bought them then accidentally damaged them later on. They are / where your property. She deprived you from that property through her own negligence and should either replace, or repair them. Im not suggesting you go all Judge Judy on her ass and sue for a new pair, but she should bear the cost of the replacement.

if you let her "get away" with it you are basically saying "Hey im a push over, you can do what you want and I will forgive you" If the relationship cant stand a little honesty in it where one can say to the other "well you broke it, you fix it" then there is issue that you need to address other than a broken piece of equipment.

But from what the OP has stated she is replacing them, so she is a keeper
    Because headphones are realy the same as a car. :') To prove my point: She broke your shoelaces "YEAH YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GONNA REPAY THAT FOR ME, YOU BREAK IT, YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!". I can do the same But that's not why we're here, are we?

And I never said her feeling guilty would be enough and repay the whole thing. But you were making it look like a 'punishment'. She accidently breaks it and then you start saying "Hey you know what, you break my stuff.. You go buy it again for me, right now."

10+ Year Old Account
    Please keep things on topic. The OP was not surveying the internet to see who they felt should replace the headphones.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Vacuum Cleaner Bags - Do They Keep Dirt Under Wraps?

Thanks for this sharing.