Thread: WoWDB Feedback

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot to mention this earlier, and I haven't seen anyone else talk about it so...

Could WoWDB allow a person to have a default display for the comments? I prefer to view them by oldest first instead of by rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    I have to disagree. I think that Wowhead comments is awesome. Usually people asking dumb questions (or any question really) get downvoted to the bottom while the helpful comments that are answering common questions get voted up to the top.

I think what SherbertLand was saying was that he goes to Wowhead with questions and gets the answer from the comments section, not that he goes and makes a comment when he has a question.

Honestly, the comments section of Wowhead is probably what I use the most.
    Fair enough. I probably came off rather defensive, which wasn't my intent and I apologize.

And yeah, there is a lot of good comments over at Wowhead - didn't mean to imply that there weren't any. The example I was thinking of when I made that reply was Heart of the Aspects (store mount), and how there were just so many unnecessary comments when it first came out. If you log in, you can see just how many were deleted. (And yes, I had a hand in said deletion but I was far from being the only one.)
    Last edited by Alayea; 2013-02-18 at 11:24 PM.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

There should be a way to put mark places in maps and link the map with marks. It'd help those without addons that show coordinates. It sounds weird to say "go to 30 45" and if you don't have an addon you are forced to download it or go to wowhead to see where 30 45 is.

It'd be nice to have a way to make tables too.
    Last edited by Thyranne; 2013-02-19 at 08:08 PM.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    I forgot to mention this earlier, and I haven't seen anyone else talk about it so...

Could WoWDB allow a person to have a default display for the comments? I prefer to view them by oldest first instead of by rating.
    I forgot to mention that in my earlier list of suggestions and questions. I definitely would like the site to remember my preference for sorting of comments.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

I'm sorry of this has already been mentioned I haven't read through all this thread yet. But for me personally I think a few minor improvements that would go along way are with how items are viewed. I know the idea is to make it better than wowhead but if they have something better than you, you need to integrate that. One of the things they make easy is when searching for gear they have a similar section or "See also" is what they call it. And it shows the different versions of that item, LFR, Normal, ect...

Now the one thing that would be really nice to simplify is linking heroic items with gems and enchants you want. Make this an easy process to be able to link on someones site and anyone doing guides for BIS or even sometimes just linking loot from a heroic kill on their front page. They would love using this, first site to make that easy will draw a lot of people. Like a drag and drop, or item builder just something more simple than having a lot of different fields and variables you enter in at the end of the url. You guys already have the ability now, but you sure don't make it easy for people to quickly use.
    Last edited by Jase; 2013-02-21 at 11:08 PM.
    Jase (Mistweaver Monk) - twitch.tv/xioose - Youtube Page
    Fallen - http://www.fallen-gaming.net

http://www.proraiders.com - Top PvE Raid Streams, Spec Specific Player Ranks, Find PvE Recruits, See how you or others compare with Player Info.

Deleted
    What I am missing is some kind of raw materials breakdown for crafted items; basically what whatsthemats.com did back when it existed.
    You put in an item name and it spits out a tree with all the materials and their quantities needed down to the most basic ones like this

but in prettier and with item links of course.

PS: Yes, I know that you cannot transmute Essence of Fire into Essence of Air, but it is late, I am tired and I created that image in a hurry.

We currently have most of that breakdown (Sulfuron Hammer) and I'll see if we can break down the Arcanite Bar. I don't think we will ever show the Air to Fire transmute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    And it shows the different versions of that item, LFR, Normal, ect...
    Yup, that is on the todo list!

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Now the one thing that would be really nice to simplify is linking heroic items with gems and enchants you want. Make this an easy process to be able to link on someones site and anyone doing guides for BIS or even sometimes just linking loot from a heroic kill on their front page. They would love using this, first site to make that easy will draw a lot of people. Like a drag and drop, or item builder just something more simple than having a lot of different fields and variables you enter in at the end of the url. You guys already have the ability now, but you sure don't make it easy for people to quickly use.
    We might be able to build that in an item comparison tool (if we add one) in the future.

Deleted
    Here's my problem with the uploader.
    I enabled it some time ago in the Curse client, but it hadn't uploaded anything until I figured out* that the client has to keep running while I'm playing WoW, which is not something I like. Why can't I upload whenever I want to ?

* Because you only mentioned that in your news post. There's no indication in the client. There's even an option to close the client when I launch WoW, and it was checked ! (can't remember if it was checked by default)

Quote Originally Posted by Culhag View Post
    I enabled it some time ago in the Curse client, but it hadn't uploaded anything until I figured out* that the client has to keep running while I'm playing WoW, which is not something I like. Why can't I upload whenever I want to ?

* Because you only mentioned that in your news post. There's no indication in the client. There's even an option to close the client when I launch WoW, and it was checked ! (can't remember if it was checked by default)
    We might be able to look at adding on demand upload in the distant future, but for now you can do it by opening Curse Client when you are almost done playing and WoW is still running, then closing WoW when you are done. This will let it see that you are done playing and upload.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culhag View Post

I didn't even realize this until just now.

Guess I'll need to remember to login daily to the Curse client and not just whenever I feel like it.
    Urwenn

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed for the first time that my post count on ptr.wowdb is separate from my post count on live wowdb. (Gave me a bit of a heart attack because I just made my first comment for the ptr today.) Is there a reason why there are two counters?
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

PTR comment and screenshot counters are kept separate from the live site. Also will help us track the number of comments a person has if we were to say, run a contest for PTR comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    PTR comment and screenshot counters are kept separate from the live site. Also will help us track the number of comments a person has if we were to say, run a contest for PTR comments.
    When PTR info goes live, will the posts roll over to the main site and be counted?

Not that my slackerass is playing the PTR to be helpful there...

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    When PTR info goes live, will the posts roll over to the main site and be counted?

Not that my slackerass is playing the PTR to be helpful there...
    Yeah, I'd really like this to happen, but given the way they've structured the site (completely separate accounts - my PTR version of "MMOSimca" was created months and months after the www.wowdb.com one) it seems pretty unlikely.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Yeah, I'd really like this to happen, but given the way they've structured the site (completely separate accounts - my PTR version of "MMOSimca" was created months and months after the www.wowdb.com one) it seems pretty unlikely.
    So what is the point of commenting on PTR stuff then, just for other people playing the PTR? Seems like the ideal would be it rolling over to live so we have that information out there right on patch day.

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    So what is the point of commenting on PTR stuff then, just for other people playing the PTR? Seems like the ideal would be it rolling over to live so we have that information out there right on patch day.
    Comments and screenshots from the PTR pages "bleed through" into the regular pages - like http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/50358 vs http://ptr.wowdb.com/npcs/50358

But they're still not REALLY part of the Live pages - like if I try to delete my comment on the Live page and it was made on the PTR page, it will yell at me and throw an error.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Comments and screenshots from the PTR pages "bleed through" into the regular pages - like http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/50358 vs http://ptr.wowdb.com/npcs/50358

But they're still not REALLY part of the Live pages - like if I try to delete my comment on the Live page and it was made on the PTR page, it will yell at me and throw an error.
    Oh okay, gotcha. CARRY ON.

| twitch | bsky
    |

I'm a curse/wowdb and zam/wowhead premium subscriber.

I am an askmrrobot subscriber, and they push wowdb because you guys make the API easy for them to use, are very responsive to their feedback, and keep your data constatly up to date.

I read mmo-champion daily.

I use wowhead because of the comments.

When I click a wowdb link from askmrrobot or elsewhere, I see few or no comments and click through to the wowhead link.

Suggestions:
    * Would appreciate if the wowhead link opened in the same tab instead of a new tab.

* Wowhead has many old and outdated comments. Perhaps you can have a better comment system with more old comment moderation?

Question) Do you have an achievement/point system that gives escalated sub-moderator privileges to trusted commenters?
    Stackoverflow does. Wowhead does.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    We might be able to look at adding on demand upload in the distant future, but for now you can do it by opening Curse Client when you are almost done playing and WoW is still running, then closing WoW when you are done. This will let it see that you are done playing and upload.
    I also did not realize this.

Wowhead's uploader uploads on startup.

I've launched the curse client some days (while not playing) trying to "help" it upload.

Strange in comparison.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 09:58 PM ----------

wowhead has a nice presentation grouping the contender pvp sets for current season

http://www.wowhead.com/itemsets&filter=ta=41

I don't see similar for wowdb.

http://www.wowdb.com/item-sets/1121-contenders-defense
    Last edited by potatoe; 2013-02-26 at 05:59 AM.

Since we have fewer comments, we are going to moderate them more heavily. As far as moderation, there really isn't much of a need right now, any issues can be reported and handled by one of the existing mods.

We upload on game finish to get the data faster and avoid duplicate data by deleting the file after upload. Once the client is running, it will recreate the file when you close the game, so the only safe time to delete is when it is closed.

Item set improvements on the the todo list, just not there yet.

I'd like to see a "latest" addition kind of thing, Wowhead has that as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoe View Post
    Question) Do you have an achievement/point system that gives escalated sub-moderator privileges to trusted commenters?
    Stackoverflow does. Wowhead does.
    Not directed at you specifically, but I want to say that I hope WoWDB stays away from Stackoverflow like the plague. I didn't like that website. I really didn't like it when Wowhead made changes to its comments system - which is a story in itself - in part because of SO.

Just putting that out there as my feedback.

On a separate note: I think it'd be better to not use black to indicate how you've voted on a comment. Maybe it's my eyes, but separating the vote arrows between black and a dark gray isn't too friendly.

Edit: Thanks for the vote arrow changes! They are now much easier on the eyes.
    Last edited by Alayea; 2013-02-27 at 08:28 PM.
    Urwenn