Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Radical being a relative term. Nancy Pelosi is just as poisonous for conservatives as Chris Christy is for dems, and all polls still show that the US has a very conservative leaning.
    Since when has it had a very conservative leaning? Because the last election proved that it wasn't. Along with almost every poll that I have seen. As for the comment that Chris Christie would be bad for the country? He at least seems to want to help and actually asks for help from Obama when his state needed it. Instead of scoffing at him saying he wouldn't take anything from him. Hes someone the country could get behind, but the problem is he would never make it through the primaries because people like Karl Rove destroy this country.

Pretty funny reading about American race politics and how they're always talking about white vs. Hispanic. Hispanic races ARE white!

Also, I think your projections of growth in the Hispanic population is a bit out of date. Birth rates are dropping in the US, and they are disproportionately dropping among immigrants (which I believe are predominantly Hispanic), who historically have propped up the birth rates. This will probably slow the rate at which the proportion of Americans of Hispanic origin grows.

Furthermore, beyond say second or third generation any immigrant is effectively American (hell I'd say even first). It's funny how Americans are so obsessed with race politics when its culture is such an overwhelming assimilator. Who cares what race someone is? What matters is culture, and if you're born in the US your culture is American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

well first they need to admit that they are irrelevant.

fat chance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    money is all they care about. they care about the rich, flat out no questions asked. that is at every level of government (again dems are guilty of it too). the racial part of it comes mostly form the fact that they are against social programs that poorer groups benefit from the most (blacks being a big part of it). it's not intentional but then again they only care about the pay checks they are getting.
    I don't know if it is quite as prominent in the rest of the states, but I live in one of the most red southern states, and a black man will still be called a choice term and receive hate, regardless of the size of his check book. In fact, you take some of the poorer folk down here and show them a successful black man and he's even more likely to be hated via jealousy.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Pretty funny reading about American race politics and how they're always talking about white vs. Hispanic. Hispanic races ARE white!

Also, I think your projections of growth in the Hispanic population is a bit out of date. Birth rates are dropping in the US, and they are disproportionately dropping among immigrants (which I believe are predominantly Hispanic), who historically have propped up the birth rates. This will probably slow the rate at which the proportion of Americans of Hispanic origin grows.

Furthermore, beyond say second or third generation any immigrant is effectively American (hell I'd say even first). It's funny how Americans are so obsessed with race politics when it's culture is such an overwhelming assimilator. Who cares what race someone is? What matters is culture, and if you're born in the US your culture is American.
    Hispanic races are not demographically white (i.e. caucasian), no.

Birth rates are not the only defining factor as regards population growth.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Since when has it had a very conservative leaning? Because the last election proved that it wasn't. Along with almost every poll that I have seen. As for the comment that Chris Christie would be bad for the country? He at least seems to want to help and actually asks for help from Obama when his state needed it. Instead of scoffing at him saying he wouldn't take anything from him. Hes someone the country could get behind, but the problem is he would never make it through the primaries because people like Karl Rove destroy this country.
    The US is by far the most religious of the western democracies, and has tended to be centrist in its leanings. It was only really 'liberal' when democratic republicanism was a novel invention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very easy. Cut itself loose from specific religion and race. The party as a whole needs to become way more socially liberal and stay fiscally conservative. So I guess they should start leaning more towards Libertarianism.

If they don't, they will never get latino votes or black votes. The problem I have always had with the party, personally, is the far right being extremely religious and such. It will be hard to win seats if your policies are based around morals of a religion many, many people in your country do not follow.

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    I haven't read anything at all about the thread. Just gonna answer the title. They need to stop portraying themselves as angry rich white people. I'm not saying they are but that's how many people view them. I see it all the time. People always making remarks like that.

My pops is guilty of the republican stereo type. Zealot and all. I have an economic point of view that is pretty much republican but that's about it. Socially, I'm the other way.

Its not them panting them selves as angry rich white people it is liberals and the media that has done so, Republicans are pro business and im sorry if that includes the rich Republicans are pro success and we want to encourage success and demonizing and taking away from the successful doesn't encourage success

All republicans need to do is some adjustments to some of the social platform and weather the storm soon enough the liberal experiment will prove to be fail just like it always has in the past

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    You'd have to be somewhat deliberately blind to not realize that the right has a fringe group of racists that bleeds into the rest of the party.

It's especially obvious if you live in any southern states.
    I grew up in the south, I would know, and it's really not that racist as popular culture dictates. If you point out this fringe group with their undeniable infractions of racism, then I will listen. However, if it's something like "the tea party had a march on Martin Luther Kind day, and that's racist", I think I rather ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    You really should pay attention to the world a bit more.

Obama is a conservative president.

In fact, 30 years ago he would have been a good republican president.

The US has veered right hard since the 50s.

The thing which is wrong with the republican party is basically the republican party; it's not a conservative party any longer.

It's a reactionary theocratic party. There are some sane members in it, but by and large the party is insane. And it's not going to recover as long as it allows the regressive and theocratic elements to dominate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I grew up in the south, I would know, and it's really not that racist as popular culture dictates. If you point out this fringe group with their undeniable infractions of racism, then I will listen. However, if it's something like "the tea party had a march on Martin Luther Kind day, and that's racist", I think I rather ignore it.
    Just going to throw this out there.

I was born in the south and lived there for quite a bit, my boyfriend died and I wasn't allowed at the funeral because I was only half-white.

And my dad who is from the Ozarks and is a hardcore Repub doesn't like acknowledging the fact that I am a minority - and I'm his first born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Just going to throw this out there.

I was born in the south and lived there for quite a bit, my boyfriend died and I wasn't allowed at the funeral because I was only half-white.
    I saw a man get turn down for a job in the Burnsville mall of Minneapolis behind closed doors because he was a certain race. We can trade stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Hispanic races are not demographically white (i.e. caucasian), no.

Birth rates are not the only defining factor as regards population growth.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 03:56 PM ----------

The US is by far the most religious of the western democracies, and has tended to be centrist in its leanings. It was only really 'liberal' when democratic republicanism was a novel invention.
    Hispanic is not a race. Hispanics can be Black, Caucasian, Amerindian, Asian, or any mix of those.

Not acting like a parody of themselves and not saying so many outrageously stupid things that 2+ comedy shows get enough content for 4 shows a week from that would be a start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I saw a man get turn down for a job in the Burnsville mall of Minneapolis behind closed doors because he was a certain race. We can trade stories.
    Yeah but I ran a ranch in Texas. I drove all over the Southern US carting horses. The level of racism that I personally encountered was staggering. It's pretty bad down South compared to other places and it definitely bleeds into their politics. To say it isn't, is just living in ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos View Post
    Hispanic is not a race. Hispanics can be Black, Caucasian, Amerindian, Asian, or any mix of those.
    I should have said most, pardon. I forgot about peninsulares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    Nominate moderates. The Obama campaign was the most scared of Jon Huntsman. If the GOP nominated Huntsman, he would have been president.
    You forget there was three separate debates. Obama is very well spoken. Even Romney called him a gifted speaker before their first debate. He would have destroyed Jon HuntsMan by comparison. Jon Huntsmen rating was so low Colbert mocked on his show that he was getting more votes actually then him. He would never, ever have been President in my humble point of view.

Dems have the advantage even with the upcoming spending cuts from the Polls. As for the answer I'm not sure but their downfall is all but promised. I honestly think whats holding them up, is they have corporation funding advantage therefore more coverage.
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2013-02-25 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Completely cut itself loose from the Ultra-Conservative Christianity; religion and politics should -NEVER- mix. It's a recipe for disaster, as has been proven. Honestly, I'd argue burning the name to the ground and starting afresh under a new banner not tainted by it's past would be the best solution.
    Basically this. Many would consider me a Republican (I'm actually Libertarian), but there are just too many negative stereotypes associated with the party. I don't necessarily believe a name-change is in order, so much as having candidates who show another, more relevant side of the party. The shame of it is that too many politicians make their money from being figure-heads for overly religious zealots, even when they don't get anything done!

I'm personally hoping that Rand Paul starts seeing more support, because he's really one of the few Republicans that I think people will actually be able to identify with. He's got a solid track-record, and he's definitely making some smart moves, so I'm eager to see if he can go the distance. Hopefully the GOP doesn't get in his way : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Yeah but I ran a ranch in Texas. I drove all over the Southern US carting horses. The level of racism that I personally encountered was staggering. It's pretty bad down South compared to other places and it definitely bleeds into their politics. To say it isn't, is just living in ignorance.
    Racism bleeds everywhere in every country. To say it solely dictates anything is different. The race card works so much better when it's used for direct infractions, not correlated ones.

I would say fiscal conservatism with a libertarian social platform would make a winning combo for the GOP in the upcoming years.

Kick out their social conservatives. And anyone who wants to comment on rape.