High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Ohio "Lima" Taxi Driver Question...?

A girl I know works for the "Black and White Cab Co" here in Lima, Ohio and I am concerned with what I am hearing from her when we text during the day! She said she is considered "independent" since the money she makes is hers but I still don't think the way she is being treated is fair! She is suppose to work from 6am to 6pm, but they always force her to work past that! Today she worked 16hrs, and she said the most they made her work was 18hrs. She said its hard for her to get a chance to go pee, she said she had to cry yesterday to be able to get the go ahead. And she said she doesn't get a lunch break. How is this legal? I kind of want to go down there and grab somebody by the shirt and knock them around to be honest! If she falls asleep at the wheel because they won't let her get off the clock im going to open up a law suit cause this is ridiculous in my opinion!
    Haf-932 /// Asus Maximus Iv Extreme /// 2600k Overclocked ~ 4.4ghz /// 8gb Corsair Dominator DHX RAM
    160gb Intel SSD /// WD Black 500GB /// 1000 Corsair PSU /// Msi Twin Frozr Gtx 680 Overclocked ~ 1135Mhz/1200Mhz

Or she tells you she works so much and she goes home and sleeps after so she has no time left in order to avoid you.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Or she tells you she works so much and she goes home and sleeps after so she has no time left in order to avoid you.
    That's so not it, ive know her for 6 years, and not to mention she comes here after work and sleeps beside me nice try though!
    Haf-932 /// Asus Maximus Iv Extreme /// 2600k Overclocked ~ 4.4ghz /// 8gb Corsair Dominator DHX RAM
    160gb Intel SSD /// WD Black 500GB /// 1000 Corsair PSU /// Msi Twin Frozr Gtx 680 Overclocked ~ 1135Mhz/1200Mhz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    She is suppose to work from 6am to 6pm, but they always force her to work past that! Today she worked 16hrs, and she said the most they made her work was 18hrs.
    Ohio is at-will. No one is FORCING her to do anything. She could quit anytime she chooses to. She chooses to work long hours. She could always just drive back to the station and turn her keys in. Worst case is they fire her. But, by the way you make the job sound that might even be the best case.

She said its hard for her to get a chance to go pee, she said she had to cry yesterday to be able to get the go ahead. And she said she doesn't get a lunch break. How is this legal?
    It's legal because it's assumed she is a reasonable person who is making the choice. The company isn't handcuffing her to the steering wheel. She could get out of the cab any time she wishes. For whatever reason, maybe the money is good or something, she CHOOSES to do the job. That's why it isn't illegal.

I kind of want to go down there and grab somebody by the shirt and knock them around to be honest!
    At which point she'll have to work extra hours to throw your bail.

Moral of the story? Don't like the job? Quit or stop complaining. The economy isn't such crap that she couldn't go get a job somewhere else making somewhat equivalent pay as a cab driver in Ohio.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Ohio is at-will. No one is FORCING her to do anything. She could quit anytime she chooses to. She chooses to work long hours. She could always just drive back to the station and turn her keys in. Worst case is they fire her. But, by the way you make the job sound that might even be the best case.

It's legal because it's assumed she is a reasonable person who is making the choice. The company isn't handcuffing her to the steering wheel. She could get out of the cab any time she wishes. For whatever reason, maybe the money is good or something, she CHOOSES to do the job. That's why it isn't illegal.

At which point she'll have to work extra hours to throw your bail.

Moral of the story? Don't like the job? Quit or stop complaining. The economy isn't such crap that she couldn't go get a job somewhere else making somewhat equivalent pay as a cab driver in Ohio.
    I get what your saying, I asked her why she puts up with it and she said "I have bills, and i'm making a lot more here in 3 days then I made at my last job working 5". And I agree she could just drive back and hand in her keys, but she would be fired! Which in retrospect is just like being "forced" when you value your job, still doesn't mean its right to do it to her in my opinion! 12+ hrs with no lunch, and has to get the go-ahead to use the restroom, which she gets told to hold it until her cab has no scheduled pickups, which ends up being quite awhile! Seams like a dirty deal to me!
    Last edited by jmmathe1988; 2013-02-25 at 12:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its called overtime,and tell her to get back in the kitchen,the oven misses her!

Infracted: Please do not make sexist comments
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-02-25 at 03:29 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    A girl I know works for the "Black and White Cab Co" here in Lima, Ohio and I am concerned with what I am hearing from her when we text during the day! She said she is considered "independent" since the money she makes is hers but I still don't think the way she is being treated is fair! She is suppose to work from 6am to 6pm, but they always force her to work past that! Today she worked 16hrs, and she said the most they made her work was 18hrs. She said its hard for her to get a chance to go pee, she said she had to cry yesterday to be able to get the go ahead. And she said she doesn't get a lunch break. How is this legal? I kind of want to go down there and grab somebody by the shirt and knock them around to be honest! If she falls asleep at the wheel because they won't let her get off the clock im going to open up a law suit cause this is ridiculous in my opinion!
    There is no lawsuit here to be had, she is not an employee she is considered a contractor so there are no maximum hours by law, also if she were salary there would be no maximum. The problem here is instead of being lawsuit happy perhaps she should move on to a different job she's better suited for

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    There is no lawsuit here to be had, she is not an employee she is considered a contractor so there are no maximum hours by law, also if she were salary there would be no maximum. The problem here is instead of being lawsuit happy perhaps she should move on to a different job she's better suited for
    hmm, interesting...i'll talk to her about it, that just seams so wrong to me! Even when I was working as a temp in a factory 12+ hours I got treated better than they do to her! I am just concerned is all, I don't want to get a call saying she fell asleep at the wheel. And I know shes tired, within 15 mins of laying down she's out!

hmm, interesting...i'll talk to her about it, that just seams so wrong to me! Even when I was working as a temp in a factory 12+ hours I got treated better than they do to her! I am just concerned is all, I don't want to get a call saying she fell asleep at the wheel. And I know shes tired, within 15 mins of laying down she's out!
    Being a contractor has its upsides and downsides. I am not sure about Ohio state law, but in many places a contractor is an independent entity from an employer, meaning that you're bound by a different relationship than employer-employee. Employers cannot regulate contractor hours, for instance. So they literally cannot tell her when, how, or what time she must work. They can fire her for not working hours that are suitable to them though. That's the nature of the beast.

She should look for non-contractor employment if she wants normalized work hours, benefits and so on. I did a stint as a contractor for two years in a different industry. Didn't have health insurance and had to work 17 hour days for weeks sometimes, but on the upside, I could get away with working for half a year, and taking the other half a year off to enjoy life.