Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A good "pure" soloing Class for old world Dguneons/Raids

I am actually returning from a long break to the game. I am looking to level a class that is strong in soloing old world dungeons and raids.

I've short listed them down to Death Knight, Warriors and Hunters. I would probably have decided on Paladins but most of the Transmorg items that I would be after are mostly 1-H Swords.

I am actually leaning towards the Warrior cause of some cool Shields, but I hate the whole switching weapons thing to use your cool downs and stance dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing can solo like a Blood DK.

Nothing.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    brewmaster monks are as good as blood dk's

Quote Originally Posted by laumex View Post
    brewmaster monks are as good as blood dk's
    Yeah I thought about it but they don't really have any cool xmorg. Most of the cool stuff are either plate and some mail.

DK or Ret pal are the best solo classes by far. Monks, druids, warlocks, hunters are not bad either, but given your strict requests for classes that can solo and wear plate, DK or Ret are solid choices.

Though, if you want to use 1H's, Ret's not going to do so well (and neither is blood, tbh). I'm not really sure what you're after here...just trying to farm stuff to pose in town? Or do you have plans to play this at max level in current content? If you just want to kill lvl60-80 stuff, you can do that on almost any class, so just pick the one that fits your ideal xmog setup (in terms of armor class and weapon proficiency). If you want to play it at max level in current content, it gets a bit harder to make a suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    I am actually returning from a long break to the game. I am looking to level a class that is strong in soloing old world dungeons and raids.

I've short listed them down to Death Knight, Warriors and Hunters. I would probably have decided on Paladins but most of the Transmorg items that I would be after are mostly 1-H Swords.

I am actually leaning towards the Warrior cause of some cool Shields, but I hate the whole switching weapons thing to use your cool downs and stance dancing.
    Actually, in about a week supposedly, we will be able to tmog 1h and 2h swords maces and axes into one another. Of course I don't mean 1h into a 2 h model just to clarify.

I solo as a pally and we do alright. Nothing on the DK level though.

Amazing sig compliments of Alyajna!

Quote Originally Posted by Yzyz View Post
    Actually, in about a week supposedly, we will be able to tmog 1h and 2h swords maces and axes into one another. Of course I don't mean 1h into a 2 h model just to clarify.

I solo as a pally and we do alright. Nothing on the DK level though.
    Maybe it's a gear thing, but I never got this. My 2 mains are Pal and DK. Pal is ~506 Prot/497 Ret, and DK is ~490Blood/480DPS. I've never had any difficulty with anything on either, and actually find the pally easier 9 times out of 10. The only thing I've found DKs to really excel at is AOE, but even so it's not been anything I couldn't handle on either toon.

Not trying to derail, I'm just 1) wondering what instances you're finding a DK so much better, and 2) trying to give another side of the argument
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    DK or Ret pal are the best solo classes by far. Monks, druids, warlocks, hunters are not bad either, but given your strict requests for classes that can solo and wear plate, DK or Ret are solid choices.

Though, if you want to use 1H's, Ret's not going to do so well (and neither is blood, tbh). I'm not really sure what you're after here...just trying to farm stuff to pose in town? Or do you have plans to play this at max level in current content? If you just want to kill lvl60-80 stuff, you can do that on almost any class, so just pick the one that fits your ideal xmog setup (in terms of armor class and weapon proficiency). If you want to play it at max level in current content, it gets a bit harder to make a suggestion.
    Oh yeah. I would like to have that class as my main. I wouldn't be tanking though. Will be sticking to DPS for current content.

I think ret requires a lot more skill for soloing than blood. Blood is fun and pretty easy to do reasonably well, and there is a skill cap for hard encounters if you are very good.

The last time I tried soloing anything as prot pally my DPS was incredibly low, but that was fairly early in MoP. Solo DPS might be better for prot pally now, but if you are into ret that is probably the better option.

15+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned already...there isn't anything better than a Blood DK.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's a gear thing, but I never got this. My 2 mains are Pal and DK. Pal is ~506 Prot/497 Ret, and DK is ~490Blood/480DPS. I've never had any difficulty with anything on either, and actually find the pally easier 9 times out of 10. The only thing I've found DKs to really excel at is AOE, but even so it's not been anything I couldn't handle on either toon.

Not trying to derail, I'm just 1) wondering what instances you're finding a DK so much better, and 2) trying to give another side of the argument
    I solo as ret with a 496 or 498 ilvl I believe. I would assume prot to be easier so I don't have much insight on that. The problem with ret is that our self heals come 100% interfere with DPS when trying to beat enrage timers or mechanics because we have to spend holy power on heals instead of finishers. Also, the AoE as you already stated :P

Amazing sig compliments of Alyajna!

I guess I am easily confused. When I hear pure in relation to wow that is talking about classes like Mage, hunter, warlock who only dps.

Also if you are talking about soloing old world content, are you referring to only vanilla raids? If by old world you mean anything from cataclysm back then that is a different story. Even then it isn't that rough as its being made out to be.

Anything in tbc "should" be simple for any class. As for wotlk I took a ilvl 480 windwalker monk up to blood council in ICC before I got bored and quit. (Note that I am saying ICC, not every raid encounter in wotlk). I have done some cataclysm dungeons also. This is without trying to hard.

Choose a class with self healing that can get hit by a bunch of mobs without falling over. I prefer brainless soloing so I use my monk and just spinning crane kick everything. As long as you have a class you are comfortably able to aoe with and has some self healing you will be fine.

10+ Year Old Account

Its when you start getting into the tighter damage/enrage timers, such as LK 25 heroic. Ret doesn't have enough self healing to beat the sustained damage, Prot doesn't have enough damage to beat the enrage. Blood DKs have both the healing needed to survive the sustained damage, and the dps to beat the enrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzyz View Post
    I solo as ret with a 496 or 498 ilvl I believe. I would assume prot to be easier so I don't have much insight on that. The problem with ret is that our self heals come 100% interfere with DPS when trying to beat enrage timers or mechanics because we have to spend holy power on heals instead of finishers. Also, the AoE as you already stated :P
    I much prefer Ret to Prot soloing (and UH to Blood soloing) simply because tank spec's are so brainless for old content, and SLOW. Tank damage is great in current content, thanks to vengeance; however in old content (aside from things like HLK cheesing defile), vengeance is almost nonexistant, so it's slow going. I'm not sure what you're trying to solo as ret that's giving you much trouble, but try using SH or even SS (both are great, viable options). Also glyph of Divine Storm is a nice solo glyph.

Ret solo is all about bursting it down before you take damage (and creative use of bubble, smart use of LoH). The big bottleneck I remember in Cata was trying to solo Najentus before the spine went out; you had ~22 sec's to nuke him, else you'd have to die or zone cause you couldn't outdamage the healing. But even in Cata it was doable in ~400 ilvl and a flask or potion. Im trying to think of something now that's a challenge, but our burst is just so crazy there's not much out there.

OP I'd say DK is your best bet. If you want to use 1H weapons and be viable and not be a tank, DW frost is nice. You can opt to solo old content as blood, and you'll go far. Blood is stupidly easy to solo with. It has a very low barrier to entry, but a wonderfully high skill-cap (see: Mionelol). Once you get comfortable with blood, you can start playing UH or Frost to solo, which is more challenging/fun IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Its when you start getting into the tighter damage/enrage timers, such as LK 25 heroic. Ret doesn't have enough self healing to beat the sustained damage, Prot doesn't have enough damage to beat the enrage. Blood DKs have both the healing needed to survive the sustained damage, and the dps to beat the enrage.
    Ah, 25 heroics is a valid point, though 25 HLK is definitely doable as prot now! Just takes some creative use of veng scaling and well timed heals for infest, and proper management of veng to beat the timer. There's actually a really good writeup in the pala forums about it.
    20k and counting...

If you are looking at plate + 1h swords, then DK or warrior would be your best options. Warrior would afford you more opportunities to xmog the swords, though (Prot and SMF) compared to DK (frost). Hunters no longer bother with melee weapons of any sort.

Deleted
    Hunters really aren't far off of Blood DKs. The difference is that Blood DKs are very easy to do things on while Hunters take a bit of knowledge.

This might be a fun channel to watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/aRRoSC2/videos?view=0
    Last edited by mmoc973e6c390d; 2013-02-25 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Hunters really aren't far off of Blood DKs. The difference is that Blood DKs are very easy to do things on while Hunters take a bit of knowledge.
    The problem with hunter soloing is that once a lot of kiting is involved, it all becomes very sloooooow and susceptible to error.

If your pet's healing can keep up with the sustained damage then most encounters are trivial. If the pet can't keep up then things become slow and hard and annoying. There's a reason the videos are edited and sped up.

Well thank you all for your responses. Think I've further narrowed it down to Death Knights and Warriors.

Well these are 2 classes I don't really know much about. The last time I played a Death Knight as my main was way back in WTLK. So much as changed since then.

Warriors on the other hand, I have no previous experience raiding or playing at the highest level. I am currently levelling one. However, its hard to gage the true strength of Second Wind cause our hp is so low.

However, both these classes have very interesting play styles.

Like I have mentioned earlier, not only do I plan on soloing old content including Vanilla, TBC and WTLK raids/dungeons but I am looking for a class that is reliable as a good DPS class in PVE and in PVP.

Warlocks and Elemental shamans.
    do what you feel.

I believe warlocks have done everything Blood DKs have with maybe the exception of Spine.