Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    To the point of Vigil being a deus ex machina....LOL.

Vigil never solved a problem. Vigil didn't resolve the conflict and story. Vigil, like a character, gave the player information that led to a conclusion.
    Vigil solved the problem of the reapers coming through by giving Shepard the code to block the signal from the keepers. He also solved the problem of how do we get back to the citadel in time to stop sovereign.

15+ Year Old Account
    The kid was introduced to solve the problem in the last 5 minutes of the game.
    The kid is the catalyst and we learn on Thessia that the catalyst is key to the crucible's design. We later learn that the Citadel is somehow the catalyst when we assault Cerberus Head Quarters. Only the holographic projection is introduced in the last 5 minutes but the Catalyst has always been the key making the Crucible function and as the way to solve the problem.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Vigil solved the problem of the reapers coming through by giving Shepard the code to block the signal from the keepers. He also solved the problem of how do we get back to the citadel in time to stop sovereign.

You cannot be serious with that garbage logic.

Vigil is first not a god like figure who waves his hand and concludes the story, unlike the catalyst.

Vigil also does not resolve the conflict between Shepard and Sovereign, unlike the catalyst and the reapers.

Holy jesus balls Praetorians are annoying.

I agree it could have been executed better. The best part about Vigil IMO was that you could interact with him alot more and get more depth out of him than the star kid. If the interaction with the star kid was on the same level as vigil it wouldn't sit so bad in peoples minds I feel. The EC did alot for that actually.
    Yeah, unfortunately for me, the way you choose your ending broke the immersion I had. And I would of liked to be able to confront the star-kid on it's weak logic (and perhaps turned the ending into something more enjoyable), I mean I sat there totally dumbfounded by how weak the reasoning was.

At least I can shoot the star-kid now, but that ending feels mostly like a slap in the face to be honest. It doesn't address the issue I had.

But I've moved on, and I never affiliated myself with those who "demanded" a new ending (if you're wondering), but I did try and get my opinion heard.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Vigil never solved a problem. Vigil didn't resolve the conflict and story. Vigil, like a character, gave the player information that led to a conclusion.
    Have you even played the games? Because Shepard had to find a way to get onto the Citadel. And guess who pops out of no where to say that there is a secret transporter to do just that.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account

Vigil is first not a god like figure who waves his hand and concludes the story, unlike the catalyst.

Vigil also does not resolve the conflict between Shepard and Sovereign, unlike the catalyst and the reapers.
    Without Vigil, Sovereign would have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately for me, the way you choose your ending broke the immersion I had. And I would of liked to be able to confront the star-kid on it's weak logic (and perhaps turned the ending into something more enjoyable), I mean I sat there totally dumbfounded by how weak the reasoning was.

At least I can shoot the star-kid now, but that ending feels mostly like a slap in the face to be honest. It doesn't address the issue I had.

But I've moved on, and I never affiliated myself with those who "demanded" a new ending (if you're wondering), but I did try and get my opinion heard.

The reasoning came from a side quest in Mass Effect 1.

The catalyst introduced a new conflict within the last 5 minutes, which is why he is so sorely hated. For 2 games and 99% of the 3rd, the conflict was stopping the reapers against all odds. The last 1% was some convoluted organics versus synthetics mumbo jumbo.

First of all your changing criteria once again. We were talking about the star child now were talking about the catalyst. The catalyst is not a god like figure nor is the star child. Shepard concludes the story by making his final decisions. Furthermore you know about the catalyst the entire game and it has always been the objective you sought out to resolve the reaper conflict. It's not a surprise that's what it was designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Without Vigil, Sovereign would have won.
    Without the Normandy, Sovereign would have won.

Normandy is a deus ex machina guyz!

15+ Year Old Account
    You cannot be serious with that garbage logic. Vigil is first not a god like figure who waves his hand and concludes the story, unlike the catalyst. Vigil also does not resolve the conflict between Shepard and Sovereign, unlike the catalyst and the reapers.
    The Star child doesn't wave his hand and conclude the story. The Crucible does that by simply docking with the Citadel. The star child does nothing but tell us what the Crucible is doing. Neither are sudden or unexpected to the resolution of the problem. We've known that the Catalyst and Crucible will solve the problem of the Reapers since the start of the game so that isn't unexpected either.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has been discussed to death for well over a year. But since we're doing it...

My biggest grip about the ending of ME3 is the introduction of the Star Brat. Had the concept of his existance been introduced earlier or hinted at, then it might have held together. And no, I don't consider the AI taking the form of a child Shepard was torn up over as "introduced earlier". I am still all for having a dialogue ending with no boss fight, that is ok. But I would have preferred to have a conversation with...Harbinger. Shepard, bleeding out, and Harbinger destroying the fleet would engage in a final philosophical debate. The choices would remain, but Harbinger would attempt to sway and reason with Shepard, maybe even taunting him at times. Ultimately, there would be one final "tough choice" to make, but it would be with a familiar antagonist.

I've seen a lot of really good alternative endings people have come up with, and most all trump the ending that the game shipped with. But the one thing that I disagree with above all is that Shepard should have a chance to live. In my opinion, for the story to work, Shepard has to die by the end. Hopefully his death is a noble sacrifice, but the rammifications of Shepard surviving are just too great.

The reasoning came from a side quest in Mass Effect 1.

The catalyst introduced a new conflict within the last 5 minutes, which is why he is so sorely hated. For 2 games and 99% of the 3rd, the conflict was stopping the reapers against all odds. The last 1% was some convoluted organics versus synthetics mumbo jumbo.
    He didn't introduce a new conflict in the last 5 minutes. It's the same conflict that's been a central theme of mass effect since the first game. Technological singularity. Organics vs synthetics has been around since mass effect 1. In fact that's the biggest problem I have with the start child. You should be able to at least sue for peace between them like you did on Rannoch. You should be able to say look what I did with the geth and quarians. Nothing new is added though. Theirs no mumbo jmbo. If you haven't been paying attention to the story (as I strongly suspect you haven't after reading your posts) then I suggest you go back and go through it again.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2013-02-25 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Just because old greek stories involved gods stopping the big problem doesn't make a god a crucial part of a deus ex machina, a deus ex machina is when a being appears out of nowhere and solves a problem, Vigil is a DEM, as he gives you the means of stopping the reapers from going through the citadel, the catalyst isn't, as he's not the problem solver, the crucible is.

Okay, scratch that, Collectors in general are annoying. And that was just a Silver. I'd hate to see them in Gold/Platinum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without the Normandy, Sovereign would have won.

Normandy is a deus ex machina guyz!
    But the normandy isn't introduced at the end of the game, as it's one of the first things you see in the trilogy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Without the Normandy, Sovereign would have won.Normandy is a deus ex machina guyz!
    The Normandy wasn't introduced out of no where nor does it suddenly solve a problem. Vigil appears on Illos for the sole purpose of providing Shepard the means to defeat (or attempt to defeat) Saraen and Sovereign. That is text book Deus Ex Machina. Just because you don't want to accept it doesn't mean you need to act all silly.

He didn't introduce a new conflict in the last 5 minutes. It's the same conflict that's been a central theme of mass effect since the first game. Technological singularity. Organics vs synthetics has been around since mass effect 1.

The main theme was always the galaxy and diversity versus the reapers.

Organics vs synthetics was a side theme as represented through the conflict with the Geth, but it was never, ever, ever, ever the main theme.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Okay, scratch that, Collectors in general are annoying. And that was just a Silver. I'd hate to see them in Gold/Platinum.
    Try being a Volus when you get hit by a seeker swarm.

Yes, it was rather odd when the game basically layed it out for you how to make peace between AI & organics work (the Legion memory mission). And depending on your choices, you had already realized those plans.

Then the star-kid shows up and says "Nope!". Maybe if we could of confronted it with these facts, the Reapers would implode because of the errors in logic.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance