Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Pick a sport. Any sport. Competition is leveled by imposing limits. Games last a set time and then whoever has scored more during that time wins. There aren't many (any?) sports where you just play as long as you want and if the other team has to leave or isn't in condition to keep playing, you win.

Ra'den is like this - it's a test of skill, not endurance. Take two guilds, one which kills him in 78 attempts spread over 3 weeks, another than kills him in 308 attempts in one long week. Which guild is better?
    There is no sport that can even be applied as an analogy to raiding, it's really not relevant. World first races are very specific to WoW and the rules and customs surrounding it are not directly comparable with anything else.

One boss kill isn't enough to determine which guild is better, but if I had to pick, the guild that killed it first. The guild that puts in 300 attempts has probably done so before there is any information out as guilds who aren't interested in being secretive about their progress aren't even there yet. The guild killing it in week 3, even for Ra-den, will have access to hundreds of hours of streams and other information that has become readily available by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by MordorFires View Post
    Side note, did Paragon really put in 500+ attempts on Heroic Rag? Like, really? That's just ridiculous. I'd argue it's as impressive as it is embarrassing.
    Just think of the other groups that took as many or more with better gear and different raid nerfs or raider buffs.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox2223 View Post
    Wrath had 2 of those bosses with limited attempts and they were both enjoyed by most of the community, I see no reason why the shouldn't introduce another one.
    Because you have to kill all the bosses on heroic within that reset first of all. In wrath it was on normal too.

Most of the community will not "enjoy" this boss, it will be un-accesable by 95% of players.

Somewhat off-topic, but weren't all the end-wing bosses in ICC under the "limited attempts" model? And the attempts were shared between all 4 (Putr, Lana, Saur, and LK)? Or maybe I'm just completely misremembering. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post
    Somewhat off-topic, but weren't all the end-wing bosses in ICC under the "limited attempts" model? And the attempts were shared between all 4 (Putr, Lana, Saur, and LK)? Or maybe I'm just completely misremembering. . .
    That didn't last long and it went up each week. They took it out about the time the stacking buff started. ICC was gating stacked on more gating of content. I hope to never do the first 4 bosses of that place again. Just a 30 minute time sink ever week to do the other stuff.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Why do you cry about it? Blizz said only a small handful will see Ra-Den anyway.

They will nerf it eventually after method/paragon have killed it.

This is a mostly silly argument composed of a lot of needless worrying.

The "500" attempt boss people are talking about has happened only a couple of times.
    Mu'ru
    Kil'jaeden
    Heroic Lich King
    Heroic Rag (for some guilds)

Most "big" fights actually roll in the 150-180ish.
    Kael'thas
    Illidan
    Most of Sunwell
    Sinestra
    Yogg+0
    Spine of Deathwing

These days your run of the mill Tier 14 fight on heroic went between 40-90 attempts on the outside. Pre-nerf Spirit Kings took a lot, but that was retardedly designed. Most guys did Heroic Sha 25 in 75-120. Tsulong took around 50-60.

Point is, if it's 30 attempts per week... so what. Come more prepared. Cut down on experimentation. Go with safe bets and know what works. Don't have any pre-pull fuckups. If he is more "Algalon" than Yogg+0, then two things are going to come of it: (1) with 30 attempts per week, two weeks of attempts will be enough, and considering that one of those weeks will be the first week you kill Lei Shen for the first time, you get a free learning-week anyway. And (2) Lei Shen will hopefully be the point -motherload for the tier, just like Yogg+0 was, and Algalon will just be worth more than your average Heroic boss.

Of course (2) is up to WoW Progress,and they often bone up shit like that, so we'll see.

All in all, I think its much ado about nothing.

Will be interesting to see how (or if) the bleeding edge guilds change their approach to fights - will we see more experimentation in the vein of higher risk for reward, or more conservative use of their 30 attempts per?