Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ugh. Don't do the tiresome endgame argument.

This isn't the thread for it, conversation isn't a logical extension of the concept and your collective arguments are awful.

Stay on topic.

-- Fencers

What is the sense in a 1-day long discount action? It looked like a telemarketing trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    What is the sense in a 1-day long discount action? It looked like a telemarketing trick.
    Umm, it was on sale for quite a few days, not just 1 day. You are just way late bro.

It was a 3 day sale on GW2.com and 2 additional days on Amazon.

Also was all over Reddit due to upvotes 3 days prior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    It was technically 3 days, still a weirdly short time frame to have a discount, much like their reluctance to have any decent kind of trial I just dont understand the reasoning. I never read reddit so being upvoted is irrelevant to me, the fact that karizee and co didn't highlight this on the day or even prior if fencers is right and reddit was aware surprises me. I dont get what they achieve by such a short time frame.

Also weird that amazon sell gems for £32 and its cheaper in game, I guess you could get an aunty to buy it for you as she wouldnt know in game :S

great, now you done it, dray

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    great, now you done it, dray
    I did it just before I go to work too, so i'll come back and see the results later.

10+ Year Old Account
    is GW2 subscription or a one off payment?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    one time purchase, then play forever

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    One time payment. The game is buy-2-play such as Skyrim, DMC or Dark Souls.

much like their reluctance to have any decent kind of trial I just dont understand the reasoning.
    Many developers and publishers feel that a "trial" hurts the product in the long run. There are many reasons why, articles written and lectures given. In fact the most recent was at this past month's Game Developer Conference. Which you can watch in full online.

I believe Penny Arcade also tackled the subject in an Extra Credits episode for more vulgar audiences. Or it could have been wrapped in another topic I can't quite remember. Search at your leisure.

I bought it for full price just two weeks ago. It's definitely worth it especially with 30% off.

You don't have to pay a monthly fee or anything and it's a good and fun game. You have plenty to do in GW2 so it is worth the price.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Just a reminder, there's no end game.
    oh brother, here we go again... yes there is, the entire game is end-game. And even if you only counted last level stuff as end-game(which is kind of stupid, since no matter where you go, you're the last level of that zone, for example I'm level 55, yet if I go to the exit of the Grove in Caledon Forest, a starting zone, I'm suddenly level 3, and funny enough, I even died yesterday in Caledorn forest in the Dark Reverie because of those annoying mobs attacking me 5 at once), there still is some end-game, this not even counting there's a new patch on the way in 2-3 days.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    much like their reluctance to have any decent kind of trial I just dont understand the reasoning.
    Consider the fact that the servers are still high in population. I can understand their idea, they don't just want a bunch of money now then break and to have all servers full.

Why?
    1. Because many people will be tempted to buy it now. Because servers are high, it would fill them, and still some more. This would create some server imbalances, lag, etc. I'm sure even they know how much their server infrastructure can hold or not. So they might have to create new servers. Once the hype for some people dies (no matter the game, there are people who play it as fast as they can and leave, this happens to any game), the population of some servers will get smaller, thus leaving fewer people for everyone to play with. This will be interpreted as a sign the game is dieing, and people will say so and more will leave even if it's not (see the situation with WoW dead servers, that's happening there for example).
    2. Because of money. Think a bit, this is not a subscription based game, meaning that you don't get money every month.
    So there's 2 ways for it to support itself, one is through the in-game shop and the other is by luring players slowly. Now, I'm sure ArenaNet has the numbers on how profitable the game shop is. It might be more profitable then we think, it might not. The fact remains however that luring people in batches so to say gives a boost in income at some points in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    One time payment. The game is buy-2-play such as Skyrim, DMC or Dark Souls.

Many developers and publishers feel that a "trial" hurts the product in the long run. There are many reasons why, articles written and lectures given. In fact the most recent was at this past month's Game Developer Conference. Which you can watch in full online.

I believe Penny Arcade also tackled the subject in an Extra Credits episode for more vulgar audiences. Or it could have been wrapped in another topic I can't quite remember. Search at your leisure.
    I googled why game trials are bad and all I got was waves of that bike game. I'll look later when I'm not at work. Stupid bike game

It's an instant-gratification market. When you let people "trial", you make it really easy for them to not buy and say they "tried it". Also, MMO's are more about the end game. Less so for GW2 I hear, so that portion may be applicable elsewhere.

Sorry if this is OT, but is GW1 included in Amazon's sale as well? When I checked I didn't see either game on sale, just a code to use for 25% off, but people are saying to use that code in conjunction with the sale? O_o

Edit: Re: Trials. I don't understand why many games quit doing demos. I used to be able to download a demo for virtually any PC game on the market years ago. Then there were trials and now there's nothing in a lot of cases. I don't see what's wrong with giving a small taste of the game to see if you're even going to like it.

You don't have to give someone 20 levels and free reign of the starting area. Set it up like a personal quest where a very specific area is sectioned off where you have a few objectives to complete and you're done. Most people should be able to figure out by then whether or not the combat and gameplay is going to be suitable to them.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-02-26 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Sorry if this is OT, but is GW1 included in Amazon's sale as well? When I checked I didn't see either game on sale, just a code to use for 25% off, but people are saying to use that code in conjunction with the sale? O_o

Edit: Re: Trials. I don't understand why many games quit doing demos. I used to be able to download a demo for virtually any PC game on the market years ago. Then there were trials and now there's nothing in a lot of cases. I don't see what's wrong with giving a small taste of the game to see if you're even going to like it.

You don't have to give someone 20 levels and free reign of the starting area. Set it up like a personal quest where a very specific area is sectioned off where you have a few objectives to complete and you're done. Most people should be able to figure out by then whether or not the combat and gameplay is going to be suitable to them.
    They probably figured out that trials and demos did not make more people buy the game and they are better off just releasing trailers that get people excited. They don't care if you don't like the game after you bought it.

It's a lose lose situation, I think penny arcade did an episode on it.

Huh. I know in my case I have bought more games than not through demos/trials. In fact, a good chunk of my gaming arsenal I probably wouldn't own if I hadn't been able to sample them first. Even GW2 I wouldn't buy before trying, thankfully a friend ended up getting it because I could not get into any beta weekend.

Here is the extra credit episode about demos/trials

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/demo-daze

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 09:48 AM ----------

The sale doesn't start until the 27th

They lose money.

Doozerjun linked the Penny Arcade explanation of the issues. However, I would advise you check out the recent lecture from GDC on game demos/trials. As it is more thorough and supported by actual industry research.