Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    I'm curious about where you think your real money is stored.
    As gold bars under my mattress

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    500k is rich? I play casually and have amassed a little over 2 million on one server. All the while, I buy all the stupid vanity items I can.
    It is all about perspective. 500K is an astronomical amount to some people. I know of at least two people in my guild who have 6K gold on the server (that's across multiple characters) and they get along fine. If you don't need the gold in the first place, why bothering amassing it?

Quote Originally Posted by flyspyro View Post
    500k? that's not much. I have close to that amount now and I still feel broke. I can't buy mounts because if I did i'd have no gold left. Yes, there is a market for people who have the gold on my server. I think a mil would be a better for your question for investing in profit. lvl some alts and do your farms everyday. I'm doing 5 farms a day atm and making bank.
    I knew someone would come with that (500k isn't much). Ok fine, let's say I'm freaking gold capped in 5 toons. Now, what do you think of my question? Shoul I just retire rich or is there a market for big boys? Someone said flipping big items...
    Last edited by land; 2013-02-26 at 03:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    I knew someone would come with that (500k isn't much). Ok fine, let's say I'm freaking gold capped in 5 toons. Now, what do you think of my question? Shoul I just retire rich or is there a market for big boys? Someone said flipping big items...
    Flipping high value items (mostly TCG) is a high risk, high reward kind of deal. It depends on you having the complete luck of gettign a TCG item for cheap enough, and keeping it on the market till you can sell it for more. There's a very real risk that you buy an item for as much or more then the rest of the market is willing to pay for it, meaning you get stuck with an item, or lose gold when selling it. If you look at the extra time you will likely spend in selling the item, the gold per hour that you get for your efforts might not even be all that good in the end, especially not when compared to the risk of being stuck with the item, or worse goldsellers finding a way to dupe it and flooding the market and annihilating the value, leaving you with a massive loss.

Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    If you had a lot of gold (i.e. 500k +), what would you invest for profit? I.e. are there markets that only ppl with lots of gold can get in and make a decent profit off?
    Full shuffle and glyph lines. I'd probably spend 300k saturating my pipeline with those two. Would probably look to expand in to BoEs afterwards, which would probably suck the rest of all of my gold up. Basically, at 500k, you don't do anything different. You leverage your existing markets to their maximum, and then you see what's left over and maybe expand to new markets.

Don't listen to anyone who is far more willing to tell you how much gold they have but not answer your question. TCG mounts can be a good business; I've flipped a couple dozen. You've to be careful though. Use TUJ, don't bother undercutting (nobody is buying a TCG mount off the AH), bark, don't invest much into land-only mounts where similar models are available, and be elastic with your form of payment.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Flipping high value items (mostly TCG) is a high risk, high reward kind of deal. It depends on you having the complete luck of gettign a TCG item for cheap enough, and keeping it on the market till you can sell it for more. There's a very real risk that you buy an item for as much or more then the rest of the market is willing to pay for it, meaning you get stuck with an item, or lose gold when selling it. If you look at the extra time you will likely spend in selling the item, the gold per hour that you get for your efforts might not even be all that good in the end, especially not when compared to the risk of being stuck with the item, or worse goldsellers finding a way to dupe it and flooding the market and annihilating the value, leaving you with a massive loss.

Right. And this is why it's usually only the richest goblins in this space - the guys who've saturated their other markets and still have gold sitting idle. Though I started on TCG mounts with far less than 1m liquid, I think 1m is a good benchmark to shoot for before getting too involved in them. Don't forego other profitable opportunities for TCG mounts - they move slowly.
    Last edited by Stede; 2013-02-26 at 04:38 PM.

I sit at around 30,000 - 60,000 gold normally, purely because I don't care about amassing more then that.

When I get above 60,000 gold I tend to go blow a load of it on the Auction House. Storing insane amounts of money doesn't do anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    I'm curious about where you think your real money is stored.
    apart from my current wages that go to the bank in the form of digital data ye they d be screwed in mentioned scenario, all my earthly posessions are in fomr of some material commodity.

I dont save money, I use it and have a debt in the bank. SO in case of something that fuks up the data I ll be a clear winner against the bank :P

Deleted
    I would camp the bmah for the only mount that is worth going all-in (999k) : mimis head

Thats what I was doing for the last 5 months^^

Deleted
    Buy runs with guilds with great progress, learn from them.

Sitting at around 575k right now, probably going to continue doing so until at least 5.2 at which point I'll consider investing in raid equipment off the BMAH.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

As long as I can have enough to function normally i'm fine. What's kind of bothering me is having to send money over to my pvp toon whenever I need to gem/enchant a new piece, wish they could support themselves like running pve content does. With 500k I would probably just invest in one market so I constantly have money coming in. I'm currently sitting at 100k mostly because I haven't had any friends to drain me of money. I love them but man they do not know how to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    500k is rich? I play casually and have amassed a little over 2 million on one server. All the while, I buy all the stupid vanity items I can.
    Yep that's rich! I play casually, and have about 50k spread out on 10 chars, and I have never bought any really expensive items. I guess my dancing steel enchant is the most expensive thing I have ever bought, it cost about 4,2k.
    Mother pus bucket!

ITT: People getting their Epeen as hard as a diamond in an ice storm knocking the OP's question about 500k

I can’t help you too much if you already made 500K, that’s a fantastic job to start with.

When I first got around that point I realized I could throw my weight around on a medium pop server and move the market easily. Everyone who posted above about the BMAH and mounts are right, you need more then 500k to dabble in that area IMO, because with duping you could seriously lose it all in a week.
    Things you can do now that you have that much (at least on a low to medium pop server)

• Research mats used in the next patch, then buy the entire market the week before. Again risky, but I have made money I’d say over 85% of the time I have done this. People want to play right after content drops and will pay top dollar for items

• BoE flipping- undercut that guy selling his BoE in trade chat (you can wait it out and he probably can’t) also you can buy every BoE on the AH and reprice them.

• Large scale shuffling.
    That’s all I can do with with a little over 700k going for gold cap, but it certainly seems to be easier to make money now then before.

Being an officer in a relativistic competitive guilds I put a good chunk into "contests" for raiding; an example would be: whoever got hit the least on heroic Windlord by whirling blade gets free gems and enchants for the rest of the tier, or whoever did the most damage to sparks on Elegon got any item they wanted from the BMAH.

The biggest item I gave away was a sparkle tiger for our heroic blade lord kill.

I also spend a small mountain on BMAH stuff: my list goes
    Invincible: 560k
    Kara mount: 40k
    Heroic items: 300k
    Failed Trolling: 2-300k
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-02-26 at 07:26 PM.

Deleted
    Lost 100k to fucking Dupers coming into the mount market. Then i bought their duped mounts. Now i have 10 of the epic JC flying tigers. Hope someone buys them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Lost 100k to fucking Dupers coming into the mount market. Then i bought their duped mounts. Now i have 10 of the epic JC flying tigers. Hope someone buys them...
    Ugh, I feel for you, but I'm sorry to say the chance is higher that the dupers will return with more mounts before anyone has a chance to buy them from you. Those things don't sell that often, and even then only once per account.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    As gold bars under my mattress
    Well in the case that you end up living in a Cormac McCarthy novel, I would suggest converting those gold bars to guns and lots of ammunition.

There is definately inflation, bought a Swift Spectral tiger years ago for around 100k and they now go for 400 to 500k
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Most definitely the TCG market. I already have a large lump sum of gold, and this is the market I play in. It's very easy to make your money back on, lots of people who want to get around the "buying gold = bad" idea just go and buy TCG mounts, lets say a Swift Shorestrider for $60, and then come and sell it in game for 60,000g. I can take that, however, and flip it in to 90-120k. They simply don't know values, and want a quick payout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    Being an officer in a relativistic competitive guilds I put a good chunk into "contests" for raiding; an example would be: whoever got hit the least on heroic Windlord by whirling blade gets free gems and enchants for the rest of the tier, or whoever did the most damage to sparks on Elegon got any item they wanted from the BMAH.

The biggest item I gave away was a sparkle tiger for our heroic blade lord kill.

I also spend a small mountain on BMAH stuff: my list goes
    Invincible: 560k
    Kara mount: 40k
    Heroic items: 300k
    Failed Trolling: 2-300k
    If I had insane amounts of gold I'd want to do the same thing as you. Being able to motivate people by rewarding would be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flyspyro View Post
    500k? that's not much. I have close to that amount now and I still feel broke..
    500K gold is HUGE!

According to blue (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5616722560#12) only "incredibly small percentage" have over 50K. Using those words, I'd wager it means "less than 5%"..

500k is 10 times as much money, but probably 100-1000 times less people who have it..
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2013-02-28 at 10:37 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/