Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Who steals an account and then doesnt use it?

Somehow my WoW account was compromised and an authenticator was added. Havent had a compromised account since before they added battle.net. I had stopped playing so dont really care plus you get everything back anyways so not worried. I remember last time I came out making a ton of gold because my main was max mining/herbalism and I had like 50 stacks of frost lotus and 250 stacks of titanium ore and lots of epic gems as well. Was hoping they would be doing the same thing again but none of my characters have been logged in since I last played them. Why waste your time stealing an account if you arent going to use it to bot 24/7 and gather me tons of stuff before I finally report it.

and you can't use a stolen account to make a lvl one char to whisper people that there account is going to suspent useless going to wow.you.must.be.really.stupid.to.think. this.is.blizzards.account.check.url.com/acccountcheck......

but they still do it so somewhat worth it..

and just report it. if you don't they might ban you. is that what you want?

I believe they only use the accounts when needed they probably attached an authenticator just to see if they had gained access to it and were intending to use it at a later date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I believe they only use the accounts when needed they probably attached an authenticator just to see if they had gained access to it and were intending to use it at a later date.
    Sometimes they don't use them unless they get a bunch of accounts and a bot uses all of them at once.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

It also may have just been compromised. I had my account 'hacked'. Back in tbc. Though i caught it before anything could happen. I logged out. Logged in an hour later. Realised and called blizz straight away. Nothing was touched.
    Blizz also take note of ip addresses. If i got to my mates, it pops the authenticater every time. At home. Maybe twice a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand what good it does to get an authenticator. Do you think that somebody who makes their living out of stealing/selling wow accounts is not going to spend the $6.50 to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Was hoping they would be doing the same thing again but none of my characters have been logged in since I last played them. Why waste your time stealing an account if you arent going to use it to bot 24/7 and gather me tons of stuff before I finally report it.
    Is it possible they only used remote AH to sell your items cheap, and to buy worthless items with your gold?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I don't understand what good it does to get an authenticator. Do you think that somebody who makes their living out of stealing/selling wow accounts is not going to spend the $6.50 to get one?
    It does not cost them anything. They just pay for everything with stolen bank accounts. Realms transfers and faction xfers don't cost them anything as well.
    Aye mate

I doubt they pay for an actual physical authenticator instead I would have thought they use the free smart phone app.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You do know each one is different right? You can't use one on an account if it isn't tied to that account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    You do know each one is different right? You can't use one on an account if it isn't tied to that account.
    How does that work? I thought it was a USB device that would display a random number sequence that you would then enter into the game in order to be able to login. How is tied to each individual account?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    How does that work? I thought it was a USB device that would display a random number sequence that you would then enter into the game in order to be able to login. How is tied to each individual account?
    lol no it's a device that runs an algorithm to generate random number combinations and it is attached to your account via battlenet settings. You can only have 1 per account so I assume they use the virtual version since those are free.

Deleted
    I sold my account in cata, I just had one character. He changed the race and name of the char, played one bg, and just stopped. He's still there, same realm, level 85.

Weird stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it is not a usb device it doesn't even touch your PC (mobile app is different in it works on smartphones)

Each one is made with a random code that produces random numbers (not really so random just random to us humans.)
    Each one has a different code in them so the produce different numbers.

If we both had an authenticator and hit the button at the same time we would both get different numbers. Mine would only work on my account since it is tied to my account

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its tied to the account because you have to register it with you battle.net account via the serial number on the back of the device!
    Haf-932 /// Asus Maximus Iv Extreme /// 2600k Overclocked ~ 4.4ghz /// 8gb Corsair Dominator DHX RAM
    160gb Intel SSD /// WD Black 500GB /// 1000 Corsair PSU /// Msi Twin Frozr Gtx 680 Overclocked ~ 1135Mhz/1200Mhz

No it is not a usb device it doesn't even touch your PC (mobile app is different in it works on smartphones)

Each one is made with a random code that produces random numbers (not really so random just random to us humans.)

If we both had an authenticator and hit the button at the same time we would both get different numbers. Mine would only work on my account since it is tied to my account
    but also that it keeps generating numbers. even when you don't use it

10+ Year Old Account

Ok the part I'm not getting here is how it's tied to your account. If it doesn't ever touch your PC how does it know which account is yours? I thought that it worked like this: The game comes up with a random set of numbers that it sends to the authenticator. You enter in those numbers. You get to login and play.

So if it's "tied to my account" what good does it do me if a hacker has already stolen my account?

Who steals an account and then doesnt use it?

A SWTOR player? Attempting to troll? But doesnt want to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    this happened to me one time. hacked my wow account email secondary email and so on, changed all passwords and security questions, then just flew around org like i do anyway talking to people on my friendslist....
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    but also that it keeps generating numbers. even when you don't use it

If I remember right it somewhere between 10-20 seconds

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 10:14 AM ----------

Ok the part I'm not getting here is how it's tied to your account. If it doesn't ever touch your PC how does it know which account is yours? I thought that it worked like this: The game comes up with a random set of numbers that it sends to the authenticator. You enter in those numbers. You get to login and play.

So if it's "tied to my account" what good does it do me if a hacker has already stolen my account?
    On the back of each one there is a code you enter to your account. This separateness it from any other authenticator made.