Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The problem is, from what I've seen the main "Sandbox" Elements are all in the PvP zones. So basically you have a choice, play Archeage as the typical Themepark MMO, which is fine, but not really what most people who are interested in this game are after, OR do the Sandbox type stuff, but under the constant threat of PvP.

For instance I was watching a video, think it was Yoggscast, and they were saying when you build a house/boat etc you have to walk from the "Crafting Station" to wherever you're building with the prepared materials on your back and if you're attacked and killed during that time the person can steal the crafting materials.... Im sorry but to me that is bullshit. The thing I was most looking forward to in this game was the house/boat building etc. I don't really want to be set back 2/3 hours because some little shit who thinks he's cool decides to camp the crafting station and gank anyone carrying materials. Please feel free to tell me if I've got this wrong (seriously, please tell me I'm wrong), but from everything I've gathered if seems in Archeage you have a choice, PvE Themepark or PvP Sandbox, which tbh would stop me playing, as I'm looking for a Sandbox MMO, but hate PvP.

If thats true it will never have more than a very niche market in the west. Most of the Sandbox fans I know ( myself included) aren't generally big into PvP, they are more into the crafting and resource gathering.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2013-02-24 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    If thats true it will never have more than a very niche market in the west. Most of the Sandbox fans I know ( myself included) aren't generally big into PvP, they are more into the crafting and resource gathering.
    This sums up my feelings pretty much, I love the idea, of crafting, gathering, building stuff, even building huge projects for PvP in big events.

Having some douchebag destroy my house, or rolling some FOTM gank spec with his huehue friends to farm me for materials I spent time gathering. Nope... not interested. Yeah he will get a slap on the wrist and sent to prison (which is still part of the game so find the easy way to break out or win games and it will end up being trivial I imagine). I have no problem with other people thinking that open world griefing style pvp is a great idea, it just won't be a game a lot of people will want much to do with in my opinion. It's been proven time and again in other games, people drawn to this style of pvp don't want a fair fight or actual pvp... they want set-ups that favour them with little risk 99% of the time, often at the cost of other peoples enjoyment.

I'll be interested to see how it pans out in the west anyway, and whether or not they make a provision / servers, for non- free-for-all pvp enthusiasts

Personally I would hope for a server, that way people who want to play the game with "hardcore" pvp don't feel like they have lost out on gameplay.

My partner however thinks this open FFA pvp sounds promising, as he used to love world pvp in WoW, and pointed out to me it also opens doors to some interesting possibilities, like becoming almost a bounty hunter for people getting griefed, and building up a reputation for being great at pvp, and up for hire, giving an interesting way to make an income without farming etc.
    Last edited by Maelle; 2013-02-24 at 05:52 PM.

That is one of the problems for me as well. I'm thinking of something more peaceful wherein I could make my own homestead in peace. I'm fine if someone kills my character on the way back from town BUT if they get to loot me too then it would be useless. What a waste of time and effort to collect stuff only to get looted!

Most people would either focus on fixing their houses or on PvP. And for most instances, it will be the PvP people picking on those who fix houses and boats. What do you think?

Trion is the best company out there. They put out fast content thats good, but also keeps the older stuff relevant, and havent sold out to some lame ass big corporation that will just ruin every game it owns.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 11:55 PM ----------

Except UO was a sandbox and had a huge PvP following and still a lot of people who enjoyed the crafting aspect of the game. I still think it was the perfect MMO. Anyone who says WoW offers the most for every type of player clearly never played UO.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-02-25 at 04:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    sure quests get boring doing them over and over and over but after GW2 getting lost and confused on where the next heart quest is or having to do the same event 10 times before going to the next area just annoyed the hell outta me, it makes me miss the boring linear questing that most games rely on as its less likely ill get lost on where to go next or i endup missing a crucial quest chain that ill wish i did later on or w.e

the vid of archeage i saw on youtube last year looked fun but well see

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    sure quests get boring doing them over and over and over but after GW2 getting lost and confused on where the next heart quest is or having to do the same event 10 times before going to the next area just annoyed the hell outta me,
    Except you could mouse over the hearts and see what level they were. If you ran out of hearts your level in your starting area you went to another race's zone. Thats how the game was meant to be played. If you only did the hearts for your race's starting area after about level 5-6 they were impossible to do solo.

10+ Year Old Account
    sure quests get boring doing them over and over and over but after GW2 getting lost and confused on where the next heart quest is or having to do the same event 10 times before going to the next area just annoyed the hell outta me, it makes me miss the boring linear questing that most games rely on as its less likely ill get lost on where to go next or i endup missing a crucial quest chain that ill wish i did later on or w.e

I've got to agree, one of the things that first drew my to GW2 was the promise of "No more grind! No quests! active events yay!" But the reality of it is I think I've spent MORE time grinding on GW2 than any other MMO in recent memory...

The "Heart" thing was a good idea and the level scaling is great, but imo it's really not worked as well as the standard quest style, there's a reason that it's been held as the 'standard' for so long.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I've got to agree, one of the things that first drew my to GW2 was the promise of "No more grind! No quests! active events yay!" But the reality of it is I think I've spent MORE time grinding on GW2 than any other MMO in recent memory...

The "Heart" thing was a good idea and the level scaling is great, but imo it's really not worked as well as the standard quest style, there's a reason that it's been held as the 'standard' for so long.
    fyi if that's what you were doing you were doing it wrong. But if you want to go into detail you can ask in the GW2 section.

But since that is what you were doing its not better then the quest grind archage is going to be.

Its odd to read that people are so into sandbox games but absolutely hate pvp. Maybe Ive just never heard of or played a true mmo sandbox that was pve only.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Its odd to read that people are so into sandbox games but absolutely hate pvp. Maybe Ive just never heard of or played a true mmo sandbox that was pve only.
    Agreed, in a true sandbox you can attack anything and anyone whenever you want. Not that im a big fan of pvp but hearing people hate on pvp but love sandbox sounds kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Agreed, in a true sandbox you can attack anything and anyone whenever you want. Not that im a big fan of pvp but hearing people hate on pvp but love sandbox sounds kinda weird.
    Thats probably because of UO. Even though I loved the game and mostly did PvP and PKing I can see how people who love sandbox could hate PvP. I killed every single person I saw especially people gathering wood and ore. I knew they werent going to have enough skill points to GM out all their crafting stuff and still be able to fight me so they were easy targets with 0 risk of me dying and eating stat loss. In fact most other people I saw out PKing were doing the same routes as me which means they were hunting crafters as well. Plus gathering was boring but I had crafters so I needed materials from somewhere lol.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    1) There used to be a mutual respect for other people who played games with you. Ganking/griefing has evolved to the point where it is clear this sense of integrity shared by gamers doesn't exist anymore.

2) Not sure why you would want PvP just because you want to be able to do more than have an on rails experience. As someone who is done with PvP pretty much completely and definitely doesn't want world PvP, it doesn't prevent me from wanting to be able to build towns, craft gear, have alternate ways of advancement beyond traditional systems, to farm materials and build a shop to sell in a town instead of on an auction house...etc.

The two concepts (PvP and Sandbox) aren't mutually exclusive.
    BAD WOLF

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I like the world PvP. Hope they leave it I'm looking forward to this game.

Deleted
    Nooo, please dont have trion ruin another game with great pvp potential. They let us pvp players down in Rift, but this amazing game... make use of it's pvp, dont neglect it! A big world and players ruling it, there has to be pvp. Have that everquest sandbox game please pve players, stay away with qq from this precious =)

It's pretty unlikely any major sandbox MMO will have robust PVP other than the ability to PVP. Pretty unlikely for Archeage too.

Not sure where this corruptible and low desire for PVP in MMOs is rooted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's pretty unlikely any major sandbox MMO will have robust PVP other than the ability to PVP. Pretty unlikely for Archeage too.

Not sure where this corruptible and low desire for PVP in MMOs is rooted.
    Well, I thought something like eve on the ground, where people can go to war, or infiltrate guilds to ninja some territory of resources to controle, and even ability to controle resources yourself, and burn castles... making the world unsafe =)
    I dont know either fencer =/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I'm actually a little concerned if they are going to be releasing (see: all of these in development still) Warface, ArchAge and Defiance. We all know that games take tons of money to produce. We all know a fraction of games actually "make it" and without major money (EA with ToR for example) failed projects can almost certainly spell the end for small game studios, and if Trion was to fail, so does Rift. :-(
    They will just be the game's operators for the western part of the globe, they aren't producing anything.

Fuck yeah for fantasy sandbox MMORPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well, I thought something like eve on the ground, where people can go to war, or infiltrate guilds to ninja some territory of resources to controle, and even ability to controle resources yourself, and burn castles... making the world unsafe =)
    I dont know either fencer =/
    People seem to be putting effort behind that Camelot Unchained game. Which seems more in line with what you are describing. CU is a PVP game which happens to be an MMO. Not the other way another like Archeage or EQN seem to be.

I really don't think we will ever see a mainstream game like UO or DAOC. Or even, Eve. That audiance is too small.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how I feel about the PvP only servers for ArcheAge. I played WoW on a PvP server and I didn't have too many issues as an Alliance on a Horde server. I used to be pretty ruthless when I was younger (MK/PK D1), but now that I am older I just don't want to deal with losing a lot of time while I am offline because someone decides to ransack my house. I will give the game a shot if they don't change a whole lot of stuff even if it has to be a PvP server. I also should start finding other people to play with because I haven't really played any of the last few games with anyone. Everyone seems to be WOW only, that I know.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

There is less "open world pvp" then many of you think, just about as much on the main 2 continents as there is in WoW but for the most part is riddled with safe zones. The difference however comes down to the sea and 3rd continent where there is at least some reward for PvP'ing.
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)