View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about same race faction change?

Voters
75. This poll is closed
  • I think this is a great idea

10 13.33%
  • I would be in favor of this provided some changes are made

16 21.33%
  • I am more in favor of a Neutral Faction

13 17.33%
  • No. I am opposed to any type of changes to the two current factions

36 48.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather take my gnome into Orgrimmar. I think it would be a blast to hang with some goblins

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    No no no Thrall was WORSE in my opinion, saying he wanted peace yet not stopping the warsong in Ashenvale or keeping a leash on the Forsaken at all
    I wouldn't say Thrall was a worse Warchief than Garrosh, but, I've always held Thrall's inability to exert his authority as supreme faction leader against him. He constantly preached the importance of peace and mutual cooperation between the factions, yet, likely because he was guilty about the death of their former clan leader or felt he owed Hellscream a debt, gave the Warsong Clan a free pass to undermine everything he was claiming to work towards. That and his completely callous, laissez-faire attitude towards the Forsaken. I assume he simply didn't bother sticking his nose in their business because, as they were allies of convenience, he didn't care what they did as long as they acted as an Eastern Kingdoms deterrent/distraction to the Alliance. And because of this, it was Sylvanas' arrogance (assuming no one would think to go against her wishes) and Thrall's lack of vigilance and active supervision that resulted in so many slaughtered troops for both factions at the Wrathgate.

But, this is why I said it would need more micro-management. More clear definitions of faction policy and more scrupulous monitoring of each member race, to make sure their activities at least comply with the policies set, if not actively contributing to making those goals a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    Seen this for years. NO Blizzard wont do and most don't want it.
    People said the same thing about Transmog.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    People said the same thing about Transmog.
    and paid faction xfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    I wouldn't say Thrall was a worse Warchief than Garrosh, but, I've always held Thrall's inability to exert his authority as supreme faction leader against him. He constantly preached the importance of peace and mutual cooperation between the factions, yet, likely because he was guilty about the death of their former clan leader or felt he owed Hellscream a debt, gave the Warsong Clan a free pass to undermine everything he was claiming to work towards. That and his completely callous, laissez-faire attitude towards the Forsaken. I assume he simply didn't bother sticking his nose in their business because, as they were allies of convenience, he didn't care what they did as long as they acted as an Eastern Kingdoms deterrent/distraction to the Alliance. And because of this, it was Sylvanas' arrogance (assuming no one would think to go against her wishes) and Thrall's lack of vigilance and active supervision that resulted in so many slaughtered troops for both factions at the Wrathgate.

But, this is why I said it would need more micro-management. More clear definitions of faction policy and more scrupulous monitoring of each member race, to make sure their activities at least comply with the policies set, if not actively contributing to making those goals a reality.
    Except Blizzard stated that the whole reason he let them in

Date: 30 October 2005
    WoW Forums Post by Caydiem

Say there was a new, powerful force in town (and I'm referring to both the Forsaken and the Blood Elves here, in their respective times) with the potential to be either ally or enemy... and you'd only recently re-established your people on a new land and recovered from endless invasions. You're vulnerable, and increasingly aware of your known enemy gaining in power with each passing day. What do you do with this new force? Ignore it, allowing others to potentially gain even more strength against you? Attack them, making them yet another enemy? Or do you form a tentative and closely-watched alliance with them, bolstering your strength and giving you access to things you didn't [have access to] prior while being able to keep a careful eye on them?

Thrall's no fool. Allying with the Forsaken gave his people a foothold on the Eastern Kingdoms, and he can keep a close eye on any potential... problems they may cause in the future. The Blood Elves are a strong, sophisticated, arcane race with knowledge of Outland as it is now rather than Draenor that was -- to go in blindly to new frontiers would be folly.
    Do not so quickly dismiss the choices of Thrall, my friend. He may initially seem quite the trusting fool, but he is deeply entrenched in the politics and power plays of Azeroth.
    WAS TO KEEP A FREAKING EYE ON THEM

http://www.wowpedia.org/Blizzard_lore_posts
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    Except Blizzard stated that the whole reason he let them in

WAS TO KEEP A FREAKING EYE ON THEM

http://www.wowpedia.org/Blizzard_lore_posts
    Obviously not his good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    and paid faction xfers.
    This is a whole different level of things. People wanted Xmog and realm xfer would come but WoW wouldn't ruin their 2 faction based system with this.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Just no... no more crazy changes , keep the core game as it is

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

The factions don't really "stand" for anything. They're just kind of getting by in factions made forged from alliances of convenience/historical ties.

If the Alliance stood for "X" and the Horde stood for "Y" (beyond Garrosh's recent asshattery,) then having people "choose" which faction to go with makes sense. But that's not the case.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    This is a whole different level of things. People wanted Xmog and realm xfer would come but WoW wouldn't ruin their 2 faction based system with this.
    people argue it did since it broke down the strict, one-faction only separation on pvp realms. The 2 faction system is dated and serves no purpose any more, from a story perspective. Granted lore takes a backseat to mechanics, but what difference does it make if you queue up in a dungeon and have extra races to run with, or a BG for that matter.

Im for this but with changes. There should be a lot more severe penalties. For starters, you should not be able to speak the language of your new faction, making it impossible to do anything. You cannot understand quests, so you do what you "think" they said, which means you may go on some quest that has nothing to do with what the guy actually said. You cannot communicate with your guild mates, so you are always causing wipes and aggravating your "friends." Vendors charge you extra. Guards always treat you like crap. You can be pick pocketed by your own faction. When you fight a member of your old faction they receive a "kill the traitor" buff which gives them 200% damage against you, and allows them to permakill you so that you have to re-roll because you are also "hated" by the spirit rezzer. If they did all of these things I would be for it (although I probably wouldnt do it myself)

Look, they already force us to play with strangers from other realms. They already make sure that the people who gank you won't be answerable later because you'll probably never see them again.

Just make it so that the two factions can join parties and raids together, join the same guild, use a single AH system. BAM - I just doubled everybody's realm pop. And on my abandoned but formerly queue-having server, that'd be awesome.

Want PVP? BGs, Arenas, World PVP vs. anybody you're not partied or guilded with of the opposite faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Honestly if they're going to do that they could just make all races neutral and have you pick a side during character creation.
    I wish they'd do something like this. Or, better yet, allow some of the faction barriers to be dissolved. I feel like the MMO design of having two opposing factions that're totally cut off from one another is a pretty archaic concept these days.
    Hey guys, you know what'd be a great idea in our multiplayer game? Stop half the playerbase from communicating with the other half!

That being said, I still think the idea of factions is cool, particularly for stuff like PvP. But the interaction barrier feels horribly artificial these days. I'd love to see things like cross-faction communication (beyond battletags), guilds, and grouping added to WoW.

Keep all of the neat flavour, get rid of the silly social barriers.

I'm not inherently opposed to the idea, but it would be really hard for it to make sense, how do you allow Forsaken to go into the Cathedral of Light?

How do you have Orcs waltz around Darnassus?

How do you have humans hang out in Undercity near the human mindslave?
    Twas brillig

I'm not inherently opposed to the idea, but it would be really hard for it to make sense, how do you allow Forsaken to go into the Cathedral of Light?
    Same way Forsaken members of the Argent Crusade hang out in chapels and cathedrals.

How do you have Orcs waltz around Darnassus?
    Shamans coming to learn how to shape wood and stone.

How do you have humans hang out in Undercity near the human mindslave?
    good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Same way Forsaken members of the Argent Crusade hang out in chapels and cathedrals.
    But then they stop being forsaken and start being argent crusade, I'm not a fan of making everything neutral and homogenizing all of the nuance and traits of the factions.

Also, the 'shape wood and stone' thing wouldn't really apply to non-shaman :\

Hell, I'd say it's not even a shaman thing so much as a druid thing.
    Twas brillig

But then they stop being forsaken and start being argent crusade, I'm not a fan of making everything neutral and homogenizing all of the nuance and traits of the factions.

Also, the 'shape wood and stone' thing wouldn't really apply to non-shaman :\

Hell, I'd say it's not even a shaman thing so much as a druid thing.
    I know, but, how do you reconsile warlocks, running around Darnassus with their demons out? Explaining the presence of say, NPCs as the "foot in the door" gives the lore explanation. Why an orc player would be in Darnassus can range from fishing achievements, to using the AH or training a profession, or they, for some reason, simply like how the city looks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No.

The moment this happens, that's the moment I cancel.

Deleted
    I think now (end of this expansion) would be the best time to pull something off like this. Speaking from a horde perspective, there are many members of the horde factions that would gladly turn their backs on the 'bloodthursty' horde garrosh has created. Tbh its almost like a civil war already for the horde. having the races able to 'switch faction' doesnt seem as bad as it sounds, pandaren worked out really well imo, I was a little worried with them being a part of both factions but it worked out well.

It wouldnt stretch the realism too much if there was the odd tauren / troll / goblin etc on the alliance (they already work with the alliance in things like the earthern ring etc, and doesnt look too bad fighting side by side) It would be a little odd to have an orc join the alliance in my mind. I also think a quest available at level 20 is TOO easy, it should be MUCH more difficult and you should NOT be able to pick a faction when you create a character. In my eyes it should be available to max level players and they must do a long quest line to SERIOUSLY betray that faction, to the point where you genuinely feel bad for what you have done, on top of that you should be spat upon by the other faction when you join them (literally and figuratively) like the welcome to death knights got when they joined a faction, and it should reflect on everything such as quest dialog etc.

All in all, I feel its TOOO big a project to do this right, as awesome as it would be to be any race on either faction (after a LOT of hard work) I just can't see it happening, especially as Blizzard have said time and time again they want to bring back the war between the 2 factions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why even have factions if you let any race pick which faction they want to be part of?

The Horde and Alliance aren't philosophical bands, they're military alliances based off of individual races. Hell, they pretty much exist solely to combat one another, and deep down, they aren't really all that different at all. If you break down the only reason that the two exist-- to fight one another due to long held racial grievances-- then they have no reason for existing at all.

Honestly, there'd be no reason to have a "war" between factions if they were just interspersed peoples just chilling. They might as well just be one big faction then.

If you want two opposing factions that races are "free to choose between," it would have to be something definitive... like the Argent Crusade and Scarlet Crusade, or the Earthern Ring and Venture Co. Two factions with opposing ideologies.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.