Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    Deleted

Two people killed through speeding, you wont believe the length of this sentence.

Two people dead, two more injured. Driver doing almost 60mph in a 30mph zone. Will be out of prison in less than 8 months. England and its fucked up judicial system.

Full story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-21616296

Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    Two people dead, two more injured. Driver doing almost 60mph in a 30mph zone. Will be out of prison in less than 8 months. England and its fucked up judicial system.

Full story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-21616296
    My grandmother was killed by a drunk driver in Pennsylvania. The woman who killed her only got 8 months and a $1,500 fine for drunk driving.

Here in Canada we have a guy who killed 4 teens while drunk driving, he got 3 years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...e-prairie.html

it's pretty infuriating.
    Last edited by furcouch514; 2013-02-28 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of punishment do you want? They should be drawn and quartered? Put away for life?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    What kind of punishment do you want? They should be drawn and quartered? Put away for life?
    They should be sentenced to eat british food.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

For a crime which is basically manslaughter more than 8 months is certainly required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    For a crime which is basically manslaughter more than 8 months is certainly required.
    What type of punishment do you want exactly? I mean it's manslaughter but it wasn't done purposefully.

10+ Year Old Account
    For life sounds good. Killing someone is not ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What type of punishment do you want exactly? I mean it's manslaughter but it wasn't done purposefully.
    In the US manslaughter has a 3 year minimum I think.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not premeditated, not that we know at least, so how are they dangerous to society (beyond that they were breaking a speeding law)?

The manslaughter charge is going to follow them for the rest of their life anyway, and cockblock them from a lot of opportunities and jobs anyway. I think people don't realize that charges like this tend to haunt you even after you get out of jail.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Question, what should the purpose of the justice system be?

a) rehabilitate
    or
    b) vengeance
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

If you ask me, and this just my opinion, if you are excessively speeding or driving while intoxicated any harm you do should be classified as done purposefully since you knew you were in the wrong to do those thing. If someone kills multiple people while doing something the know to be wrong then they should get a very hefty sentence.

manslaughter means already that it wasn't on purpose. if it would be on purpose it would be murder...

10+ Year Old Account
    For drunk driving, I want to see them get a minimum of 10 years.

Deleted
    I don't know if you read the article, but that was his second time caught doing 60mph in a 30mph zone.

For me, ten years.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post

a) rehabilitate
    or
    b) vengeance
    Or how about a better, non biased third option. Punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post

a) rehabilitate
    or
    b) vengeance
    c) a deterrent

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    so how are they dangerous to society (beyond that they were breaking a speeding law)?
    That's exactly how they are dangerous. Complete lack of respect for other people.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

15+ Year Old Account
    Be it manslaughter or not, the kid chose to drive that fast there. There's a big chance it'll go wrong, so 8 months is way too low a punishment... His footballcareer is ruined now, which is good aswell.

Involuntary manslaughter via criminal negligence can carry up to life imprisonment, 8 months is not close enough. People died because of his negligence and disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    Or how about a better, non biased third option. Punishment.
    Punishment is vengeance.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance