Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

Blizz: Daily Quests felt 'Mandatory'

I noticed that they are finally acknowledging that dailies are too forced.

"Mists of Pandaria set out to provide lots of things for you to do, but daily quests ended up feeling more mandatory than they wanted. The Patch 5.2 daily quests feel less mandatory."

Off main page.

It's sad and frustrating though because it took months of people bitching and complaining and they just defended it by saying 'you don't have to do dailies'. Yes you did because it's the only way to spend the damn JP/VP. Unreal. They didn't lose me personally, but I know a lot of players just in my guild/on my server who quit over the bullshit reputation grinds.

Sad they "acknowledge" this because it isn't true. They aren't mandatory at all. You don't need to spend the VP or JP and there are ways to unlocking some factions rep item without doing dailies.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Sad they "acknowledge" this because it isn't true. They aren't mandatory at all. You don't need to spend the VP or JP and there are ways to unlocking some factions rep item without doing dailies.
    Really sick of seeing this argument. The fact is, if you don't do dailies to unlock valor gear, you get gear locked and your character progression comes to a grinding halt.

Let's take dungeons for example. The highest ilvl you can obtain off dungeons is 463. Then, you're left to grind LFR MSV for *months* (unless the rng gods just lay a golden brick on you) to reach 470 to queue for the remaining LFR raids.

So, as a result, you're looking at grinding for PvP gear and/or spending 20-35k (sever prices may vary) for BoE pieces to fill in the slots you need as just acquiring the Sha boots and Klaxxi neck aren't going to cut it.

Blizzard acknowledged this because the gear bottleneck must be an obvious eyesore from their overall player participation data.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will say they are more forced than they have been in a very long time, but is more rewarding the same as forced? They gave us far better rewards this round and actually took longer than getting a tabard at friendly, getting max level at the time, and spamming heroics till exalted, and using gold to purchase your epics. But even then, they're not forced at all, you can do anything and everything you want without those reps, heroics till lfr, lfr till whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    Really sick of seeing this argument. The fact is, if you don't do dailies to unlock valor gear, you get gear locked and your character progression comes to a grinding halt.

Let's take dungeons for example. The highest ilvl you can obtain off dungeons is 463. Then, you're left to grind LFR MSV for *months* (unless the rng gods just lay a golden brick on you) to reach 470 to queue for the remaining LFR raids.

So, as a result, you're looking at grinding for PvP gear and/or spending 20-35k (sever prices may vary) for BoE pieces to fill in the slots you need as just acquiring the Sha boots and Klaxxi neck aren't going to cut it.

Blizzard acknowledged this because the gear bottleneck must be an obvious eyesore from their overall player participation data.
    You just gave a few different examples that do not go with your argument. You say if you don't do the dailies you get progression locked. But you can farm LFR for gear (doesn't take months), buy gear off the AH or make the epics yourself, some heroics drop epics, Sha drops and Klaxxi neck do help no matter what you think. These are all gear you can get without doing a single daily.

15+ Year Old Account
    These dailies are probably the least mandatory ones so far. Unless you are an ultra hardcore raider, you did not need to jump on dailies. I was slow on dailies and my gear slots filled out just fine with raid instance gear.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

The only thing I truly see as mandatory is having to do Golden Lotus before you can even start Shado Pan or August Celestials. No other faction dailies require you to do as much to begin doing them, most require MOP flying in order to complete/pick up, but gating 2 factions behind another 1, with no alternatives to unlock them forces you to do golden lotus dailies.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

afaik the daily rep is diffrent then the 5.2 rep you get when you raid. aka daily rep don't give gear there by you don't need to do them.

and they are going to increase the drops in the 5.0 lfr items. then you have gear you can craft and you got pvp gear.

and lets be honest of you only do lfr you don't need top of the bill gear. and if your raiding with your guild your guild should help you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, I haven't hardly touched my dailies, don't own a single VP item and still raid effectively and not just in LFR before anyone says that because I severely dislike LFR.

15+ Year Old Account

So much false. Highest ilvl you can get from a heroic is 476. Get your Klaxxi neck, Sha boots, maybe 1-2 crafted items that you can buy the fucking mats for that cost 200-500g a piece. Get them crafted, tip w/e, or don't. And you're good to go, if you've been doing your heroics. You don't need dailies to get honored with Klaxxi so it's GG. It's basically the same as when LFR was launched, thanks to patch 5.1

Well no shit Blizzard, thanks for noticing the outrage.

They were and Still are, but they decided to pretend it isn't so by using "felt" which is not true.

You just gave a few different examples that do not go with your argument. You say if you don't do the dailies you get progression locked. But you can farm LFR for gear (doesn't take months), buy gear off the AH or make the epics yourself, some heroics drop epics, Sha drops and Klaxxi neck do help no matter what you think. These are all gear you can get without doing a single daily.
    1. Heroic 5 man epic drops are 1% or less. Good luck grinding those.
    2. Your average player doesn't have 30k to dump on BoE epics (especially if they aren't doing dailies). They cannot craft their own because 99% of all the epic gear patterns are locked behind the rep.
    3. Sha boots and Klaxxi neck do help - but they WILL NOT get you to 470 with the rest of your gear being 463.
    4. PvE players generally don't want to put themselves through the hell of trying to grind PvP for gear.
    5. Grinding LFR MSV for the remaining pieces = 6 bags of fail PER WEEK. The drop rates from these bags is fairly abysmal as it's extremely common to go weeks without getting a single drop.

So, yea, I guess you're right - if you want to put your character through progression hell - I guess you can skip the dailies and enjoy spending your playtime dealing with the options above.

Are the forced? No. But they are strongly, strongly, strongly encouraged through the games current design.
    Last edited by spectrefax; 2013-03-01 at 08:20 AM.

How many times does Blizzard has to say this before you will adapt it?
    Cause I see that you're sticking to their old arguments still.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    So much false. Highest ilvl you can get from a heroic is 476. Get your Klaxxi neck, Sha boots, maybe 1-2 crafted items that you can buy the fucking mats for that cost 200-500g a piece. Get them crafted, tip w/e, or don't. And you're good to go, if you've been doing your heroics. You don't need dailies to get honored with Klaxxi so it's GG. It's basically the same as when LFR was launched, thanks to patch 5.1
    Good to do what? Lfr? With that gear you sure as hell arent getting in a raid or even a pug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    These dailies are probably the least mandatory ones so far. Unless you are an ultra hardcore raider, you did not need to jump on dailies. I was slow on dailies and my gear slots filled out just fine with raid instance gear.
    The least mandatory dailies have been the very first ones..
    No, I'm not talking about repeatable ones like cloth turn ins etc. I am talking about the TBC dailies.. NONE of them have been mandatory to gain significant advantages.
    All dailies in Shatt have been there for the pure fun, and to make some gold.. 10 gold per daily was a lot back then. Or'grila dalies... Fun, no real reward.. Skyguards.. Flyers, no real reward... They all did have rep items that could have become an upgrade here and there. But it was perfectly fine to play the game without them. There was just one small exception, and even that was not a must do. The daily dungeon quests. If you chose not to do them, you just got less gold, and you didn't get your extra badge.

1. Heroic 5 man epic drops are 1% or less. Good luck grinding those.
    2. Your average player doesn't have 30k to dump on epics (especially if they aren't doing dailies). They cannot craft their own because all the patterns are locked behind the rep.
    3. Sha boots and Klaxxi neck do help - but they WILL NOT get you to 470 with the rest of your gear being 463.
    4. PvE players generally don't want to put themselves through the hell of trying to grind PvP for gear.
    5. Grinding LFR MSV for the remaining pieces = 6 bags of fail PER WEEK. The drop rates from these bags is fairly abysmal as it's extremely common to go weeks without getting a single drop.

So, yea, I guess you're right - if you want to put your character through progression hell - I guess you can skip the dailies and enjoy spending your playtime dealing with the options above.
    1. And how were those any different from say TBC heroics? They had a chance to drop epics.
    2. 30k? You're shitting me right? Epics on the AH are 3k tops. Raid drops cost a lot but not the pattern ones. And they can craft their own by getting the mats and giving it to someone to make.
    3. Then don't have your gear at 463. I already explained you can get gear.
    4. I never said anything about PvP gear, you did.
    5. I was able to get all the gear I needed for the rest of the LFRs with out buying a single daily rep gear. Just because you have terrible luck doesn't reflect everyone.

I see only 2 problems with the many dailies:
    They are mandatory ONLY if these two things are true:
    - you are a progression raider and you need the Elder Charms of Good Fortune for bonus rolls
    - you are a LFR raider and there's a tough situation for you waiting between ilvl 460 and ilvl 470. For MSV LFR, you only need ilvl 460 which you get through 5man heroics. But for the other two LFR raids, you need ilvl 470, which is tough to reach when all you do is LFR, so in this case you're actually forced to do dailies to get more ilvl.

There could be other solutions to these two problems other than shortening the amount of dailies, for example:
    - you gain Elder Charms through something different, or reduce the number of Lesser Charms needed by a lot
    - MSV LFR ilvl requirements lowered and bosses nerfed appropriately (by 5%?)
    - 1x 100% guaranteed item loot for 1 LFR run per week

But anyway, after seeing so many players complain, whether they're right or not, sometimes you have to give in to what the majority thinks is right...
    The drawback you have from lowering the amount of dailies available is that there's effectively less to do in WoW. And we know from Cataclysm that if there's nothing to do out there besides raiding or PvP, players also complain.
    Last edited by TaurenNinja; 2013-03-01 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    I noticed that they are finally acknowledging that dailies are too forced.

"Mists of Pandaria set out to provide lots of things for you to do, but daily quests ended up feeling more mandatory than they wanted. The Patch 5.2 daily quests feel less mandatory."

Off main page.

It's sad and frustrating though because it took months of people bitching and complaining and they just defended it by saying 'you don't have to do dailies'. Yes you did because it's the only way to spend the damn JP/VP. Unreal. They didn't lose me personally, but I know a lot of players just in my guild/on my server who quit over the bullshit reputation grinds.
    They tweaked it and stood by their decision, and actually made smarter decisions from it.

Rather that than pussying out and copping out the entire community by giving into their demands of Tabard Grinds and what not back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

1. And how were those any different from say TBC heroics? They had a chance to drop epics.
    2. 30k? You're shitting me right? Epics on the AH are 3k tops. Raid drops cost a lot but not the pattern ones. And they can craft their own by getting the mats and giving it to someone to make.
    3. Then don't have your gear at 463. I already explained you can get gear.
    4. I never said anything about PvP gear, you did.
    5. I was able to get all the gear I needed for the rest of the LFRs with out buying a single daily rep gear. Just because you have terrible luck doesn't reflect everyone.

I'm not saying it's impossible to gear up without dailies, I'm saying it's a big pain in the ass to do so and requires luck and/or gold. Argue all you want, but Blizzard has looked at the data and made an official announcement which basically means the data says you're wrong. GG.