Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    If you're trying to cut someone's head off with a sword, you need to be able to cleave it the hell off. You need body strength, and that usually equates to muscles. These guys didn't play "tag, you're it" with swords, they fought to the death.
    One of the biggest misconceptions as the result of hollywood is that this was the attainable goal. Almost never in history would soldiers attempt to go for 300-style acrobatics, cleaves or various other heroic acts of swordplay. "tag, you're it" was actually one of the most effective ways to fight, letting smaller wounds bleed out and exhaust opponents.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 01:46 PM ----------

These men have a typical combat sport body.
    Actually, not exactly. I'm rescinding my comments about them being like typical MMA fighters today, because sources seem to indicate they were usually what we would perceive as overweight, as a means of protecting their bodies from cuts and jabs with more mass.

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    One of the biggest misconceptions as the result of hollywood is that this was the attainable goal. Almost never in history would soldiers attempt to go for 300-style acrobatics, cleaves or various other heroic acts of swordplay. "tag, you're it" was actually one of the most effective ways to fight, letting smaller wounds bleed out and exhaust opponents.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 01:46 PM ----------

Actually, not exactly. I'm rescinding my comments about them being like typical MMA fighters today, because sources seem to indicate they were usually what we would perceive as overweight, as a means of protecting their bodies from cuts and jabs with more mass.

Were they really? I've never heard this, but I'll take your word for it until I read otherwise.
    How overweight do you think they were?

I think the guys on the show have a typical combat sport body, they would not put a bunch of overweight people on the screen fighting, because that's just... not pretty. Andy Whitfield was about the size of the average UFC feathweight. Liam is tall for a featherweight, he's a bit lanky. I think they have a typical combat sports body.
    I'm curious about the bodies of the ancient Olympic Pankration fighters. (It was MMA in ancient times) Were they like MMA fighters today? A bit stacked with muscle, probably.

Deleted
    They hunt, they forage. They eat. And you don't lose 10-20 pounds of muscle because you go hungry, you stay built up, you may lose 5 pounds at most that year, but they ate enough that they didn't lose that weight.
    I don't see any of them having a body builder physique. They all are rather small. Andy Whitfield was 5'7-5'9 and 158. Liam is a wee bit taller, roughly same weight. That is in no way body builder physique. The only one that has anywhere near close to a body builder physique is Gannicus, and he's still rather small.
    These men have a typical combat sport body.
    Where did you get that info with 158?? Because at the ComicCon in 2010 he said, that he weighted around 85Kg in the first season, which equals around 190 pounds, hardly featherweight anymore.
    And if I had to chose who has the most "bulky" physique, its Lugo, the german guy. If he doesn't resemble the physique of a bodybuilder, then nobody else does. Crixus is also massively build, but not that tall. The best physique IMO overall had Onomeaus. The actor Peter Mensah is 193m tall, and looks freaking awesome, he weighed around 215 pounds in S1.

Ok, this is getting somewhat off topic XD but hey, its interesting enough so long as you all realise that its pure conjecture..

that gif of Agron is amazing. I've always thought of him as a very under utilised character.

I did have one thought regarding the whole 'look at statue's thing that people keep saying.. Statue's aren't pictures. if you were making a statue of a gladiator. would you have him true to form, or would you have him chiseled like the gods themselves?!

Not that im leaning one way or another, my opinion is that this show hits it on the nail. they arent uber ripped, but they also arent small. that is roughly where I feel it would be at, I have absolutely no proof to back this up, its simply how I feel :P

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    Where did you get that info with 158?? Because at the ComicCon in 2010 he said, that he weighted around 85Kg in the first season, which equals around 190 pounds, hardly featherweight anymore.
    And if I had to chose who has the most "bulky" physique, its Lugo, the german guy. If he doesn't resemble the physique of a bodybuilder, then nobody else does. Crixus is also massively build, but not that tall. The best physique IMO overall had Onomeaus. The actor Peter Mensah is 193m tall, and looks freaking awesome, he weighed around 215 pounds in S1.
    I don't remember, it was at least a year ago. I would have to look for it again later.

He is 5'10, and though he claimed 190, I don't believe that. He did not look 190, Urijah Faber is bulkier than he is and he is 150ish usually. But, if that's what he claims, that's what he claims.
    The 150 was before Spartacus apparently. It was on one of those celebrity height/weight sites.
    Last edited by Demonakat; 2013-02-26 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    Ok, this is getting somewhat off topic XD but hey, its interesting enough so long as you all realise that its pure conjecture..

that gif of Agron is amazing. I've always thought of him as a very under utilised character.

I did have one thought regarding the whole 'look at statue's thing that people keep saying.. Statue's aren't pictures. if you were making a statue of a gladiator. would you have him true to form, or would you have him chiseled like the gods themselves?!

Not that im leaning one way or another, my opinion is that this show hits it on the nail. they arent uber ripped, but they also arent small. that is roughly where I feel it would be at, I have absolutely no proof to back this up, its simply how I feel :P
    If I was an artist and portryed said statues it would mean that I had visual experience and living proof of their existence. Gladiators were pankration athletes ( and so far only Gannicus has shown skills), not kung fu monks or modern bodybuilders. Agility matters as much as strength and both combine with mastering weapons.
    The various body proportions depicted in the show are perfect and the balance between reality and hollywood is well kept, because believe it or not, the nutricion quality and training was higher than today.
    If you want to know how a modern day gladiator would look like go check MMA fighter Fedor Emelianenko.

Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    <Gladiators looked like MMA fighters>
    http://archive.archaeology.org/0811/...gladiator.html

One of many sources indicating they did not at all.

Gladiators in Rome seem to be the most accurate.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2013-02-27 at 12:03 AM.

Well, Fedor was kind of fat too. If he had lost his fat, he could have fought at 205 EASILY. Maybe even 185. But he fought as a heavyweight, at 235.

Well, Fedor was kind of fat too. If he had lost his fat, he could have fought at 205 EASILY. Maybe even 185. But he fought as a heavyweight, at 235.
    Looking at him in at his fighting weight he seems to be pretty big. I could perhaps see an extra 10 pounds on him, but yeah at his fighting weight he seems to be pretty close-looking. Man I'd hate to have to catch a swing from that guy...

Gladiators in Rome seem to be the most accurate.
    I would disagree. The fact that some archaeologists found some sculls around an old arena means nothing. They could be some randoms condemned to die. It was happening and It has actually been shown by the series as well. I would rather stay at more accurate sources like art and literature.

And Fedor was never fat,maybe in last matches, he was bulk and agile with above the normal fitness. The belly fat is genetics coming from first Homi Erecti and the usefuleness of this was the extra strenght it provides. Anyway imagine that guy fighting for his life....
    Last edited by catablitz; 2013-02-27 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Concerning what's happening at the ending of episode 5: Is anybody else thinking that it was a bit too similar to LotR? I mean, come on, they could have been a little more original.

Well, when it comes to a siege, you either break the gates invading or you let the defendants starve to death.

I don't remember anything like that happening in lotr. I remember a giant battering ram but it had trolls powering it called Grond. Plus it was spitting its own fire, some crazy Orc hadn't infiltrated Gondor, setting the gate on fire to weaken the wood.

I thought the bloody brotherhood brace between Crixus, and Sparty was "epicuss bad assemus". And i'm glad they have pulled together splintered ground.

Caesar is a handful, how he knew tar was in those jars i'll never know, but got dang. "Nows the time to run" was another case of epicuss bad assemus. At first I thought he was going to try and weasel out of dying, (we know he cant), going back on his "so you chose to flee instead of fall a hero" line. He lived up to all that though. I thought him and Gannicus were going to get real serious, then I got real nervous about him fighting Agron. Who ever Caesar fights i'm very nervous for. And i'm not a Kaiser fan boy, it's cause we know Caesar can't die, maybe get injured but not die. Plus his character is just so crazy/brave/keen witted.
    Last edited by The Lottery; 2013-03-02 at 10:14 PM.

how many more episodes are left for the show? its going to get crazy on the last few episodes. although i know the inevitable ending will happen, i hope they change it with a big twist or something. the show is loosely based on history(ceasar never went in undercover, and crassus was never that smart on warfare. he was always just about money. also castus was a leader with spartacus and so far hes just some background character, with not that many eps left, how could he transition to a leader role so late in the game.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Concerning what's happening at the ending of episode 5: Is anybody else thinking that it was a bit too similar to LotR? I mean, come on, they could have been a little more original.
    You do know that the tv show is based on the real events that happened 2070 years ago right?
    @ kaamila as far as i remember from history classes some slaves were executed when crassus won but they have never found the body of spartacus, and im pretty sure that the tv series will end something like this: slaves are defeated but a part of them (including spartacus) live.
    about Caesar here's an intresting story, pirates captured him (don't remember if in spartacus time or after) and he told the pirates something around this lines "send someone to get the money and when im free il hunt you and kill you all" and the pirates laughed and partied, ofc caesar hunted and killed them after he was freed.
    Last edited by mmoce05feee610; 2013-03-02 at 11:10 PM.

What is craziest when you think about all this is just how immortal Spartacus name has become. Would we really even know who Crassus was if not for Spartacus? Caesar earned his immortality but a lot of it had to do with Romans trying to immortalize him in the first place. No one tried to immortalize Spartacus into history, but his story was simply so amazing it immortalized its self. I definitely believe more people today know Spartacus, than Vercingetorix, or Mithridates. Heck I can't even remember the Visigoth who sacked Rome and collapsed the western empire.

For Spartacus to have "lost" he sure didn't fade to the pages of history, his name echoed throughout. In some way maybe he didn't lose if we can learn about ourselves and be inspired to stand up for our beliefs by his story, I see no greater victory even if it is two-thousand years later.
    Last edited by The Lottery; 2013-03-03 at 08:33 AM.

If I am not mistaken, Crixus should die soon enough and Gannicus right after. They did kinda changed the storyline since that strategic movement or disagreement
    (debated) of Crixus separating with Spartacus happened before they captured the city. From now on, we just expect to see Crixus dying near Mount Garganus and Spartacus executing some 300 captured Roman soldiers to avenge the death of Crixus, forcing them to fight each other to the death as gladiators. Later on, the attempt of the rebels breaking out of confinement and fleeing towards the mountains west of Petelia and see my super favourite amazing super star Gannicus getting killed. All these concluding to the epic Battle of the Siler River and finally we find out if they kill Spartacus in the show.
    I hope for at least 4 more episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lottery View Post
    For Spartacus to have "lost" he sure didn't fade to the pages of history, his name echoed throughout. In some way maybe he didn't lose if we can learn about ourselves and be inspired to stand up for our beliefs by his story, I see no greater victory even if it is two-thousand years later.
    I'd say it's because of how huge is army was, and that it occurred on the mainland rather than Sicily. The other servile wars had large followers, but his was literally an order of magnitude larger than the previous army in the Second Servile War, certainly enough to sack Rome if they had the equipment and desire. Previous slave armies weren't any larger than the Romans they were fighting, so they were cast aside as simple rebellions.

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    how many more episodes are left for the show? its going to get crazy on the last few episodes. although i know the inevitable ending will happen, i hope they change it with a big twist or something. the show is loosely based on history(ceasar never went in undercover, and crassus was never that smart on warfare. he was always just about money. also castus was a leader with spartacus and so far hes just some background character, with not that many eps left, how could he transition to a leader role so late in the game.)
    There is 5 episodes left as far as I'm aware. as for Castus, I feel his time is coming. note he was drunk and left out of the pirates shite from ep 5. give him time. Further to that, Crassus wasn't the best tactically no, but he was the first roman who didn't underestimate Sparty. he didn't think him to be a common slave. he was the first to give 'credit where its due' as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lottery View Post
    What is craziest when you think about all this is just how immortal Spartacus name has become. Would we really even know who Crassus was if not for Spartacus? Caesar earned his immortality but a lot of it had to do with Romans trying to immortalize him in the first place. No one tried to immortalize Spartacus into history, but his story was simply so amazing it immortalized its self. I definitely believe more people today know Spartacus, than Vercingetorix, or Mithridates. Heck I can't even remember the Visigoth who sacked Rome and collapsed the western empire.

Very interesting point, however personally I believe it is simple, that whilst history is written by the victors, the rebellion and the sheer... shock to the system that Sparty caused, led for him to become almost folklore. hushed whispers talking about him..

As for episode 5, It was fantastic, Even my wife was going.. jesus christ Saxa is HOT. so smoking hot. Agron continues to grow on me. loyalty until death! It was a very nice moment to see the blood drenched hands of Crixus and Sparty clasped together.

Overall, I thought it was very well done. a constant source of annoyance for me is people comparing historical accuracy and entertainment :P this is a happy mix of both I feel I certainly don't understand it myself how Caesar was able to go from on the ground unarmed with 3 skilled warriors over him.. to standing up. even with the ram smashing the gate.. they couldve messed him up first!!! :P

Naevia still pisses me off. I'm glad Nemetes got his come uppance.. Overall, it was a great episode, I have a feeling it is going to get far more intense though. and as I mentioned above.. I 'm fully expecting Castus to shine still.

Deleted
    It has been very good season so far but that black woman who is with the guy who used to be champion of kapua (Can't remember the name or write it right). But still that woman is just SO annoying and I hope that she dies or something in the series soon. I'm not racist or anything but for me it's always black women who are the most annoying characters in tv shows..