Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Protein shakes as meal subsitutes sounds like a horrible idea.
    In my experience they're great if you're looking to become bigger, drinking them before training, and at another set time during the day.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Komati View Post
    Protein shakes as meal subsitutes sounds like a horrible idea.
    In my experience they're great if you're looking to become bigger, drinking them before training, and at another set time during the day.
    Sigh, protein shakes dont make you big....

Deleted
    People have terribly misinformed idea about protein supplementation. Is it neccesary you ask. No it isn't, but I bet that isn't the question that needs to be asked in your case, which is: Is it helpful? In most cases, yes it certainly is. Protein supplementation should be as clear as the names implies, yet many thinks its something else. It is quite simply, PROTEIN.. SUPPLEMENT. Lets isolate the words, Protein is the main building stone for muscle, and one of the three macro nutrients. Supplement definition "Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole". So what we are looking at here, is Protein to make up for something you might lack in your diet, or strengthen the entirety of your diet. Nothing more, nothing less. Whey protein is as natural as eating cheese as long as you buy respected brands. Some have artificial sweeteners in it, but nothing more harmful than that.

Now to your question at hand. You can't build muscle, and lose body fat at the same time, its two fysiological opposite processes. One requires a calorie deficit and another a calorie surplus. Chose one goal first and then when you are satisfied with that, do the next. But I can tell you Whey protein will help you reach both goals.

Protein is the nutrient with the highest Thermogenic Effect. This means, simply put it means that your body uses more energy to digest proteins than it does on fat and carbohydrates. Bluntly put, a higher protein diet will increase your metabolism. Protein also fills you better than carbs, so you will not be as hungry.

I'm not going to go into detail on how you should lose weight or gain muscle, in either case it requires you to get a proper working diet for your goal. But I will copy paste something i posted yesterday in another post to explain why Whey is very useful in terms of building muscle:

Leucine is the amino acid which is most important to increase Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS). Whey is top food in regards to Leucine content. Spiking a higher level of Leucine means a greater MPS activation through mTOR. We can only assume that higher MPS equals a greater anabolic response, as long as the average MPS % increase still is the greatest. Both with Whey and most normal foods, the MPS will reach its baseline in a couple of hours. Studies suggest that 3 grams of Leucine yields the highest MPS increase, and Whey convieniently has that amount where as many foods only contain between 400-1200mg averagely per 100 grams which means you need to consume a lot more to archive the highest anabolic response.

If 35 gram of whey is equal to 200+ grams of food isn't effectiveness in a nutshell, then what is?
    Last edited by mmocf0ad466cc1; 2013-03-03 at 04:24 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from a non expert PoV on this, I'd say if you'd wanna lose weight then I'd rather have a normal(balanced) diet consisting of carbs,proteins,little of fats all together if you can maintain it well... I dont think you'd need protein shake unless you dont have enough proteins then I'd rather take em.

Deleted
    i've got a lot of friends who take protein shakes all the time, they swear by them that it helps em get BIG for me tho i dont think its too healthy surely getting protein and building muscle more naturally is better

I'd agree with a couple of comments from the weight loss angle here. I can pretty much guarantee I'll weight 1kg per week less than the previous if I just eat relatively healthy (carbs, protein and fibre in every meal and just keep portion size sensible) and do 3 workouts a week. There's very little else to it. Done this way it's not like you'll drop 20kg for summer but that's always going to be pretty unrealistic. You need to think pretty long term to change your shape.

DO make sure you do a little cardio as well as lifting. Either works for weight loss (generally cardio training means you'll have good stamina and a high level of general fitness, weights will make you stronger, either will drop the fat off you tho, all pretty obvious when you think about it) both works best for general fitness and dealing with the underlying reasons you weren't in such good shape to start with. Being stronger AND fitter at the end definitely beats either/or.

I was doing about an hours weight training and 20 mins cardio each session (with a swim to cool down and avoid delayed muscle soreness) and using a protein shake and... generally not really getting very far. I'm cracking on again minus the shake and yeah, basically if I do gym 3 times a week the weight comes off. Strength wise I'm still getting a TINY bit bigger and finding small gains in what I can lift (finally hit 5 reps squat with 80kg on the bar this week, could do it on the smiths machine but when my gym finally got a proper squat rack I found I didn't have the grunt to do it free standing) and the scales are going down so it's fat that's being ditched.

Short version: Train 3 times a week, eat decently, lift+cardio and forget the shakes for fat loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spookus View Post
    i've got a lot of friends who take protein shakes all the time, they swear by them that it helps em get BIG for me tho i dont think its too healthy surely getting protein and building muscle more naturally is better
    Sounds like you need new friends that arent complete idiots.

Im sick of people that say "PROTEIN SHAKES MAKE YOU BIG BRAH"

Even if I did not work out, I'd still use whey (no-carbs) as a meal replacement. Its cheap (for me at least, 10 DKR/1,75 USD per 2 scoops) and keeps me full for a while, and I also firmly believe that all these posts about how unnatural and dangerous whey is, merely is bullshit gathered from various sources.

It is NOT needed at all, but where I live, eggs and whey are the only cheap sources of protein I can get my hands on, so I use whey. For OPTIMAL muscle building you DO need to eat alot of protein, but you CAN build muscle with less. You DO need to eat above your recommended calories per day to build muscle, and below to loose weight.

I use the brand Dymatize Elite Whey (Rich Chocolate) which taste just like normal chocolate milk to me (349 DKR / 60,85 USD for 2273 gram)

It's not a necessity but it helps the muscles heal much faster. From personal experience my muscles are alot less sore after a workout when I take protein than when I dont use it.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    If you're just trying to lose weight, protein shakes are a waste of money.
    ^This.
    the extra protein helps building muscles, it doesnt make you lose any weight (it may even increase weight).

Quote Originally Posted by taub View Post
    ^This.
    the extra protein helps building muscles, it doesnt make you lose any weight (it may even increase weight).
    Why would it? No macronutriments make you loose weight, but that doesn't mean we should starve us self to loose weight.
    Whey protein can easily function as a meal replacement (READ, not ALL meals...), and as protein powders are VERY forgiving in calories they are actually a good choice for loosing weight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    Why would it? No macronutriments make you loose weight, but that doesn't mean we should starve us self to loose weight.
    Whey protein can easily function as a meal replacement (READ, not ALL meals...), and as protein powders are VERY forgiving in calories they are actually a good choice for loosing weight.
    in therms of actual weight, muscles are heavier than fat. so building muscles = weight gain, unless you combine it with a low calorie diet to lose fat. furthermore, over-consumtion of protein is defenitly not good.
    but i agree its not bad to use along with a balanced diet, been using it myself those days im to lazy to make a proper dinner after working out. with the extra protein and working out i went from 66kg to 77kg in less than 2 years (muscle gain, not fat )

Deleted
    in therms of actual weight, muscles are heavier than fat. so building muscles = weight gain, unless you combine it with a low calorie diet to lose fat. furthermore, over-consumtion of protein is defenitly not good.
    but i agree its not bad to use along with a balanced diet, been using it myself those days im to lazy to make a proper dinner after working out. with the extra protein and working out i went from 66kg to 77kg in less than 2 years (muscle gain, not fat )
    So you're saying muscle gain during a cut is bad? Please educate yourself.

You want people to lose weight and look like complete twigs and burn all their muscles of aswell as the fat?
    If you dont build any muscle while losing weight you will more than likely become skinny fat, so tell your bullshit "you dont need protein when losing weight" somewhere else.

Deleted
    Well of course, but that goes without saying. He needs a low calorie diet whatever or not he choses to supplement with Whey if he wants to lose weight. Besides, there are no dangers involved in high protein consumption unless you suffer from a pre-existing illness.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post

You want people to lose weight and look like complete twigs and burn all their muscles of aswell as the fat?
    If you dont build any muscle while losing weight you will more than likely become skinny fat, so tell your bullshit "you dont need protein when losing weight" somewhere else.
    Unless your talking about minimizing the muscle breakdown during cut, your terribly wrong. He won't build any more muscle when cutting, he can only hope to keep as much of his existing mass as possible.

Deleted
    ITT: Teenagers giving other teenagers advices and claiming to have experience.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 07:15 PM ----------

Well, that's just wrong. And stupid. Especially stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    im not saying its bad, im just saying the additional protein is gonna make you lose weight. if your goal is to lose weight you can get enough protein from a balanced diet, no need to buy expensive protein shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    Besides, there are no dangers involved in high protein consumption unless you suffer from a pre-existing illness.
    i remember reading somewhere than the extra protein is stored as fat, but as far as dangers i dont know.
    according to wikipedia it can give kidney stones:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein...ss_consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Well, that's just wrong. And stupid. Especially stupid.
    care to explain why?
    Last edited by mmoc20fd1404df; 2013-03-03 at 06:47 PM.

I can deadlift 500 pounds and the only nutritional supplement I take is Omega3 pills (because I'm allergic to fish). I eat 2000-2500 calories / 170-200 gram protein a day, all through normal food. Does this answer your question?

I just take protein shakes to help me reach my daily protein intake, and because it's easier than a lot other alternatives in most cases.

So my answer is yes, it is worth it, but far from a necessity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I can deadlift 500 pounds and the only nutritional supplement I take is Omega3 pills (because I'm allergic to fish). I eat 2000-2500 calories / 170-200 gram protein a day, all through normal food. Does this answer your question?
    i was considering omega3 pills until i found out its easy reach the daily intake level from other sources than the fish they always talk about in commercials.
    takes like 2 walnuts to get the needed omega 3

It may be worth noting that 100g of chicken breast contains only 31g of actual protein (link).

Assuming you've got 140lbs LBM (that's only 10st, or 64kg - not much at all; an obese person with 10st of LBM could still weigh as little as 15st / 96kg), then you're looking at 140-210g of protein, which is 480-700g of chicken breast!

That's assuming the "1-1.5g per lb of LBM" ... I've seen some experts recommending more than that.

[edit] Another link worth looking at - https://www.weightlossresources.co.u...icken_meat.htm - shows how much protein is actually in 100g of various meats.
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2013-03-03 at 07:09 PM.