Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Do i need 3 sets of gear??

so my question is do i really need 3 sets of gear to be able to play a holy pally? How do you holy pallys do dailys if not? I got 1 set for pve, one for pvp and i gotta carry a ret set to do dailys? Do anyone else have this problem? any tips would be great cause thats alot of bag space..they should make a gear bag, they go bags for everything else.

Deleted
    Team up with a dps! problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could make a Shockadin and reduce that to only 2 sets of gear. Of course a Shockadin would make your healing set less effective, which means you either have to deal with it, or have lots of gems and enchants lying around. The alternative is to group up with dps for doing dailies and stuff.

As a Ret Pally I have 3 sets of gear.

Ret PvP
    Ret PvE
    Tank set

My inventory is like full constantly, as well as my bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Ret PvP
    Ret PvE
    Tank set
    Fairly sure that except for the weapon (1hnd + shield vs 2hnd) ret pve set is the same as tank set

As a DK I have a Blood set, Frost set, and pvp set. My Resto druid has resto, boomkin, feral/tank, and pvp set. It's generally more convenient in the long run to have multiple sets, especially as a healer since healer dps is terrible for dailies, when you can just grab a crappy ret set and roll over dailies.

Deleted
    I have 5 (Pve Prot, Pve Retri, Pve Holy, Pvp Retri and Pvp Holy) sets, what's the big deal? You can even quest as holy, just change glyphs for more damage, sure it's slow, but, err, you're a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rioik View Post
    so my question is do i really need 3 sets of gear to be able to play a holy pally? How do you holy pallys do dailys if not? I got 1 set for pve, one for pvp and i gotta carry a ret set to do dailys? Do anyone else have this problem? any tips would be great cause thats alot of bag space..they should make a gear bag, they go bags for everything else.
    Holy gear: healing and denounce/HS questing

That is all

It would make your guild quite happy if you had a serviceable set of retribution gear though. Can be used both for Ret and Prot too.

The word 'need' is very strong. You may *want* 3 sets, or maybe 4 sets... heck, even 5 sets for fun or to just experience the game at every level.

You can do quests, etc as Holy in Holy gear. It just won't be as fast as it would be in Retribution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Fairly sure that except for the weapon (1hnd + shield vs 2hnd) ret pve set is the same as tank set
    Ret pve is the same as tank set? Maybe some pieces of gear can be, but I do have a completely different set of gear for Ret and Prot. I do have the 4 set bonus for Ret, and 2 set for Prot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Ret pve is the same as tank set? Maybe some pieces of gear can be, but I do have a completely different set of gear for Ret and Prot. I do have the 4 set bonus for Ret, and 2 set for Prot.
    I also have most of a different set. You have to remember you have different caps to hit and different enchants and gems in some pieces. It's not exactly the same for each spec.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not even close. If you are tanking in full DPS gear enchanted as DPS that is just bad.
    Last edited by Requital; 2013-03-04 at 03:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    Not even close. If you are tanking in full DPS gear enchanted as DPS that is just bad.
    The only 4 "dps" enchants that i can see are helm/shoulders/chest/cloak.
    At the same time the only difference in gear priority that i see is extra 7.5% for exp as prot...

Denounce spam is actually pretty effective. I can generally hit ~25-30k dps in heroics just Denounce spamming in between heals.

Although, if you're looking for the quickest method of doing dailies, you're better off just grouping up with a dps or building a ret set on the side. If you're in an active raiding guild, you'll eventually get to the point where you won't need much gear from LFR for your main spec. You can just start building up your ret OS once you hit that point in your gear. I managed to get 4-piece for both Holy and Ret with some RNG love.

I've got a fully capable Ret set and a lot of the time I would rather do dailies as Holy, you'll do almost the same damage as Holy and won't have that awful health issue that plagues mortals who aren't able to free-heal themselves without losing anything. Only time I use the Ret set these days is for mass AoE farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    I've got a fully capable Ret set and a lot of the time I would rather do dailies as Holy, you'll do almost the same damage as Holy and won't have that awful health issue that plagues mortals who aren't able to free-heal themselves without losing anything. Only time I use the Ret set these days is for mass AoE farming.
    It depends, for short dailies I can't be bothered to change spec, for longer dailies if I don't have a group I'll switch to Ret. Seal of Insight still allows me to mass-pull most quest mobs and AoE them very effectively. If the mobs are beginning to hit an extreme level (in terms of number), then popping cooldowns with Glyph of Avenging Wrath means quickly eliminating them. Dailies as Prot if you wish is also possible but the "extreme number of mobs pulled" is almost required to be efficient.

As for gearsets: You need as many gearsets as what you want to do on one character. You have the privilege of doing most roles/niches (soloing, farming, all three roles in PvE, all three roles in PvP (even if Prot FC sucks) in the game on your single main, but if you don't wish to save up all those gearsets to do certain things, you can, like others who don't have tanking/healing sets are forced to, create an alt such purposes.

Deleted
    The only 4 "dps" enchants that i can see are helm/shoulders/chest/cloak.
    At the same time the only difference in gear priority that i see is extra 7.5% for exp as prot...
    There is no helm enchant anymore.
    Also, as prot you won't get crit gear or ret tier gear. Right ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I will soon have four sets of gear since I am crafting PvP gear for my paladin now (my guild wants to start an arena team and I don't like being ganked anymore while questing :P) but I would never carry around 4 sets with me. I would just carry what I need for the day/moment and leave the rest in the bank. I will usually be in my PvE Holy set since I do heroics and raid in that and will carry my ret pvp set to do dailies (since you don't need that much dps do do dailies) and leave my holy pvp and ret pve set in the bank until I need them. When I want to do some arena matches or even BG' with my guild I would just slip on my pvp holy set and put my pve one in the bank. When I want to do some dungeons or I feel like being a dps I will just put away my ret pvp set and put on my ret pve one.

I used to carry around 4 sets in wrath but it got to the point where I had 0 bag space and had to keep selling things just so I didn't have to destroy things I needed to loot gear in heroics and raids. As long as you have your bank open and your bag closed, changing sets in the bank is pretty easy and painless and it saves on bag space.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    There is no helm enchant anymore.
    Also, as prot you won't get crit gear or ret tier gear. Right ?
    Many Protadins use the Ret bonus, the Prot bonus is just meh, and crit for tanks is a better pick than dodge or parry

Deleted
    Many Protadins use the Ret bonus, the Prot bonus is just meh, and crit for tanks is a better pick than dodge or parry
    If that is true, than it's a serious fail in class design :/