Deleted

Purgatory & void shift

Honestly not sure if this thread is better suited in the dk forum or not, but I'll throw out the question here and we'll see what happens. I'm basically wondering if void shift acts as:
    1.) A "heal" for the amount of health "swapped".
    2.) Or if it simply sets the amount of health to the % you had.
    The wording indicates the second, but knowing blizzard that hardly means a lot:P.

To illustrate, a dk gets overkilled for 200k, meaning that he now has a purgatory sheild absorbing 200k healing. The priest swapping is at 100% hp and the dk has 600k max health.
    Case 1.) The dk is healed for 100% of his hp (600k), 200k of the "heal" from void shift is absorbed by purgatory, the dk ends up at 400/600k.
    Case 2.) The dk ends up at 600/600k, the health is simply set to 100%, ignoring the absorb from purgatory.

Been making a few attempts to reproduce it but I was struggling to get a significant enough overkill to get a definitive answer, anyone who knows?

Thanks

Deleted
    From my experience (which is usually panic mode 'OMG wtf, tank is gonna die') void shift will give the DK your % health and make no difference the healing required to clear purgatory. So you'd have a DK on 100% health and still about to die unless they recieve healing.

I could of course be totally wrong with this - which really negates any point to me posting now I think about it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    From my experience (which is usually panic mode 'OMG wtf, tank is gonna die') void shift will give the DK your % health and make no difference the healing required to clear purgatory. So you'd have a DK on 100% health and still about to die unless they recieve healing.

I could of course be totally wrong with this - which really negates any point to me posting now I think about it...
    Nah I appreciate the input. That does sound reasonable, I honestly haven't noticed this happening myself but my healers do have a tendency to overlap LoH and void shift a lot on the rare occasions that purgatory does proc. A more definitive answer would still be great though:P.

Void Shift does clear the Purgatory debuff, and Skada shows it as a heal. I've used it to save my guild's dps dk many times with it (and sometimes resulting in my death due to being unlucky with getting hit by something instantly afterwords). Void Shift is typically the only reliable way of saving him besides Lay on Hands; Blizz really ought to increase the time-until-death to 6 seconds from the mere 3 so that healers in 10 man actually have a chance of saving the DK with normal heals. However, I don't know for sure whether the purgatory absorb is subtracted from the 100% heal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    From my experience (which is usually panic mode 'OMG wtf, tank is gonna die') void shift will give the DK your % health and make no difference the healing required to clear purgatory.
    You're right. Alternatively, you can use guardian spirit to heal the dk for 50% of his/her hp to clear purgatory.

It is #1.

And you drop to 25%.

What is really amusing is when VS doesnt save the DK, and still swaps health. (meaning: they died for more than your HP you swapped over)

15+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure GS does not always work to save DK's in this situation, or they needed more than 50% hp healing. OR... It just bugged the times I tried it... /shrug Seems GS bugging more in MoP than before. The "new" bug (besides not proccing when used reactively and target dies very fast) is you put it on someone, it stays on for several seconds, they die, and GS falls off the person after he died without trigger the effect. Not only for DK's.

I tried VS a couple of times on DK's and it didn't work when I did, didn't check overkill etc, so probably what Derevka said (DK took higher dmg than the casters HP).

Would also love clarifications to all this! It's not very cool to use up your CD's when they won't do any difference. Are there addons to show how much healing the DK needs for example?

Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post
    It is #1.

And you drop to 25%.

What is really amusing is when VS doesnt save the DK, and still swaps health. (meaning: they died for more than your HP you swapped over)
    Pretty much this, had our blood DK die on Heroic Spirit Kings to Annihilation during progression, it took 2 priests Void Swapping him to get him to a mere ~20% HP. He has something like 700k buffed, so it worked out to something on the order of ~1.2m absorb... There was definitely a lot of trash-talk immediately after about having to burn not 1, but 2 swaps to keep him alive

As for addons to track that sort of thing, I don't know of any that are out there, or if they would be particularly useful tbh. Purgatory is a 3second "I done goofed" ability, I'm not sure if 3 seconds would be enough time to check an addon and decide whether it was worth burning Void Shift on said target. In our case, both of our priests tend to use the ability reactively with little/no planning ahead of time, we just happened to both burn them on him before he died-died.
    Last edited by Copulatingduck; 2013-03-04 at 09:58 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the help guys!

Deleted
    They should fix the delay on this ability though srsly. It happends all the time that when i lifeswap the tank, he dies before he can get the healing, BUT I STILL LOSE MY HEALTH AND GET CD! This never happened with my lay-on-hands finger when i used to play paly

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    They should fix the delay on this ability though srsly. It happends all the time that when i lifeswap the tank, he dies before he can get the healing, BUT I STILL LOSE MY HEALTH AND GET CD! This never happened with my lay-on-hands finger when i used to play paly
    That is just how the game resolves damage before healing and parses events in tiny chunks of time so it has to have applied the healing before the damage was dealt or tie goes to the killing blow.

Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    Its actually a missile that travels, and just like any other spell that travels, there is travel time.

Cast it and watch the shadow ball/orb shoot across the screen.