Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

What is the best excuse you have heard for a player missng your raid?

I am sure there are some really good ones.

My question comes to mind because of a recent interaction with one of he tanks in our guild who no call, no showed on a thursday while we were working hard to progress in time to gain the feat of strength for the guild prior to 5.2 release.

The player in question was frantically texted by a number of his co raiders to be told "I am going to visit my mamma for the weekend". Whether this was really why he dissapeared or not we all assumed that meant "going to see his girlfreind".

This weekend we were forced to pug in two different tanks on two new progression bosses for us because he dissapeared again stating this time he was out for the weekend to get laid. Needless to say at this point one of the pug tanks may be changing guild tags and the player in question will no longer need to make excuses for missed raids.

Once during our progressin back in Naxx days one of our healers mid raid stated that her parents told her she needed to go to church with them RIGHT NOW. The joke forever after was "surprise church".

I am just interested in hearing some of the reasons why YOUR players have chosen to explain why they have become less than dependable at raid time.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Not exactly missing the raid but being afk in it mostly and screwing up our first Kel'thuzad 25 man back in WotLk.

His girlfriend was visiting him, she was a raidmember on vacation in our guild too. So before the pull he walked towards Kul'thuzad in slow mo, not watching his screen after eating and pulled the Boss on our last try for the day, of course everyone died.

His excuse after us bitching for 25 minutes and him afk he returned and told us "She showed me something on her Gameboy". Of course everyone knew what they did and all of us were mad for days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would assume that its the same lame excuses people give for missing work.

I don't raid anymore for precisely this reason... people like you turn it into a job.

Is there a level of common courtesy, absolutely, and if I had planned to go to a friends house to play video games, or planned on being online to play, I would let people know that I am not planning on coming. I don't need to give a reason, I have chosen to do something else, and it isn't for you to decide whether or not that is a valid reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Not exactly missing the raid but being afk in it mostly and screwing up our first Kel'thuzad 25 man back in WotLk.

His girlfriend was visiting him, she was a raidmember on vacation in our guild too. So before the pull he walked towards Kul'thuzad in slow mo, not watching his screen after eating and pulled the Boss on our last try for the day, of course everyone died.

His excuse after us bitching for 25 minutes and him afk he returned and told us "She showed me something on her Gameboy". Of course everyone knew what they did and all of us were mad for days.
    Recently we were waiting to pull the last boss in temple of the jade serpent in order to get the non timed achievement. One of our players had an issue that required them to be afk a few minutes. I thought it was safe to step into the kitchen and refresh my drink. I had left the boss targeted thinking nothing of it. When I steped back into the living room I noticed that the pull had happened and that we were well on our way to wiping. I got on mumble and started asking wtf someone pulled and who did it. There was a moment of silence and then the reply "you did". I said "what"? They said " you did. you threw your Avenger's shield and then just stood there".

Well, apperantly my cat knows my keybind for avenger's shield.

Not as exciting as what your couple did to wipe the raid if I get the gist of what you are hinting at, but had to share it anyway.

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    I would assume that its the same lame excuses people give for missing work.

I don't raid anymore for precisely this reason... people like you turn it into a job.

Is there a level of common courtesy, absolutely, and if I had planned to go to a friends house to play video games, or planned on being online to play, I would let people know that I am not planning on coming. I don't need to give a reason, I have chosen to do something else, and it isn't for you to decide whether or not that is a valid reason.
    You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and thank you for sharing it.

One of our guys said his brother had been in a car crash and had 2 months to live so they were gonna do a bucket list together. Found out later that the guys brother was actually in our guild and, while it's possible to have more than one brother, the whole thing was very fishy. Who can do a list of things before they die if they are slowly dying after a car wreck?

His absence was not missed.

My buddy and I were pugs to an ICC 25 and after multitudes of wipes in the first wing (post pre-expac patch making ICC a joke), we decide to ditch the raid. As I was hearthing out, I whipped out this line: "I gotta go, booty call from my GF". Following suit, my buddy said "I gotta go, booty call from my BF" and dropped group. Vent got all quiet for about 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    One of our guys said his brother had been in a car crash and had 2 months to live so they were gonna do a bucket list together. Found out later that the guys brother was actually in our guild and, while it's possible to have more than one brother, the whole thing was very fishy. Who can do a list of things before they die if they are slowly dying after a car wreck?

His absence was not missed.
    some times it does not pay to be too extravegant with stretching the truth eh?

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    My buddy and I were pugs to an ICC 25 and after multitudes of wipes in the first wing (post pre-expac patch making ICC a joke), we decide to ditch the raid. As I was hearthing out, I whipped out this line: "I gotta go, booty call from my GF". Following suit, my buddy said "I gotta go, booty call from my BF" and dropped group. Vent got all quiet for about 30
    seconds.

Hmm. There were a high number of raid trolls during ICC pugged content. You guys sound familliar!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    I don't need to give a reason, I have chosen to do something else, and it isn't for you to decide whether or not that is a valid reason.
    Not a job, a hobby. If you've ever played sports, you'd find that "I didn't feel like coming" or "I didnt feel get around to buying sneakers" doesn't cut it, and you won't get far in life.

Back in Vanilla, we just had a really good attempt on Rag and were buffed up and ready to down him for the first time. Right before we're about to pull, my friend goes, "afk ice cream". It's become a running joke ever since. We downed Rag that day.

In TBC, I really wanted these shoulders (IIRC) from heroic Shattered Halls. For anyone that played back then, you know how annoying heroics were early on in the expansion. Finally, after bugging my guildmates to help me, I get a full group and we start pulling trash. Right after the first boss, my dog runs out the door and into a really bad thunderstorm. I told them brb and went to chase after my dog. 15-20 minutes later, my parents find out that the basement is flooded. It took me months to get them to come to Shattered Halls with me again.

In TBC, I was running Alcatraz with some friends. We kept wiping for some reason and took a lot longer than usual to clear. I told everyone that I really needed to leave and that if we wiped again, they would have to find a new healer. Friends asked me why I was in such a rush. Told them I had a (first) date with a girl and had to leave. Fortunately, she ran into traffic and I just barely had enough time to finish the instance with them. I ended up dating that girl for 2 years.

A few months ago, we were in MSV and our hunter says in the middle of the raid that he has to leave in 15 minutes. We're all good friends IRL so we started bugging him and asking why he had to go. He tells us that his friend was at a strip club and needed to go pick him up. We finished raid a little early that night.
    Last edited by pld; 2013-03-04 at 06:19 PM.

In my guild as long as you announce that you're not showing up then its fine. We've got people from all walks of life, from young teens to people in their 30s and upwards and the mutual agreement is that RL stuff comes first.

OT: No excuse but once I was so tired that I actually fell asleep at the keyboard during our last attempt of the night, just totally blanked out and woke up like 20 mins later and everyone was gone. Apparently I went MIA half-way through elegon and they waited for me for ages before deciding to quit.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2013-03-04 at 06:18 PM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Not a job, a hobby. If you've ever played sports, you'd find that "I didn't feel like coming" or "I didnt feel get around to buying sneakers" doesn't cut it, and you won't get far in life.
    It all comes down to the level of sport you are playing. If you are just playing sports for fun, then it's fine. If you are playing in a very competitive league, then it's not ok.

So, the real question is - how serious is WoW to you?

"I had to take my grandmother to jiu-jitsu", haha.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    It all comes down to the level of sport you are playing. If you are just playing sports for fun, then it's fine. If you are playing in a very competitive league, then it's not ok.

So, the real question is - how serious is WoW to you?
    Except, it's not just to you. If you join a guild that has serious expectations of you, it's your obligation to reciprocate. You can't have your cake, and eat it, too. If you join a guild that expects you to treat it like a "job", then you need to buck up and do so. If you don't feel like it's a "job", there's plenty of guilds with that mentality.

Don't stick your dick where it doesn't belong, basically.

I want to note that I'm not disagreeing with you, simply adding.
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2013-03-04 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I think a lot of people like me raided and just got bored of it after a couple years. I personally raided in Vanilla, (it was ok, kinda sucked as a shaman) I raided in TBC as well and some in WOLK, I for one am done with it outside of raid finder where I can just auto attack the bosses and hope for free loot or bonus roll. The worst thing they did was take out repless epics from heroics and I think they will find a good compromise next expansion so I can get my easy epics back.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    In my guild as long as you announce that you're not showing up then its fine. We've got people from all walks of life, from young teens to people in their 30s and upwards and the mutual agreement is that RL stuff comes first.

OT: No excuse but once I was so tired that I actually fell asleep at the keyboard during our last attempt of the night, just totally blanked out and woke up like 20 mins later and everyone was gone. Apparently I went MIA half-way through elegon and they waited for me for ages before deciding to quit.
    Back in Vanilla, our guild would raid from like 7pm until 2am sometimes. There were multiple instances where I passed out during raid and woke up the next day with my face on the keyboard.

sorry but if he had a chance to go see his mother, or miss's that he hasnt seen for a while, then ofc hes going to prioritize it over a raid,

I've done it myself, I was in the middle of a raid as a DPS on the main team at the time, this was about 8-10 months ago, but I was home for the weekend and didn't tell anyone regardless I hadn't seen them for a few months, so Im sat there half way through the raid, and 3 of my friends let themselves into the house unannounced and surprised me, I didn't have time for a long winded explanation so I just wisped the RL and said, unexpected friends have arrived as a surprise for me, I haven't seen them in months got to go, I left, spent the weekend with them, few drinks laugh etc,

Logged back in monday night once I was back at my digs, and I got bombarded with raiders wisping me and having a go, as well as raiders who weren't in the raid, had to log a diff faction char, when TS with the RL whos a very good real friend of mine, and we had a fuck of a argument over it, apparently I should of taken a 5 minute break, explained I was in the middle of raiding and expected them to sit down for 2 ~ hours and not disturb me until I finished the raid,

To me, when something like that happens to drop in your lap, its RL over Raiding any day

The latest excuse I've heard is I forgot I was raiding tonight

The best excuse?

"Got to go. My wife is going into labour".

Otherwise; when I was raiding, we would just call 'Cat on fire' for absolute emergencies. No explanation necessary.

Also had a Rogue from Greece, having to log off because "Shots are being fired outside". Didn't see him for a while.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2013-03-04 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    Back in Vanilla, our guild would raid from like 7pm until 2am sometimes. There were multiple instances where I passed out during raid and woke up the next day with my face on the keyboard.
    Wow I can see how tiring that would be. On that particular night I actually wanted to go to bed right before the incident but the rl persuaded me to stay for just one more try.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Some guy actually got arrested in the middle of a raid once. Not even joking. The doorbell rang and he went to answer it and he got arrested. Someone in the raid had to go bail him out. This was back in Vanilla though.

To busy running forced dailies for lucrative gear to spend my valor. I lawled and agreed with him. We both unsubbed shortly their after.