Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus_77 View Post
    - I am forced to pay 15$/month to play this game ( since that's the only way )
    - I am forced to do Heroic Shekzer ( Heroic Raid ) to get my epic fist weapon ( the best weapon for me ) ... ( since there's no other way to get the gear )
    - I am forced to do daily to get reputation ... ( since there's no other way ... maybe the pipe )
    - I am forced to get reputation to buy gear from faction vendor .. ( since there's no other way )
    - I am not Forced to buy from Reputation Vendor to gear up ... ( since you can gear up from other way ... Prof, LFR, Normal Raid, Heroic Raid )
    I'm guessing that this post was made to show contrast between what is truly "forced" and "not forced", with the goal to show that the last thing is not. But it's only fair to supply alternatives to the other points when applicable.

- Not forced. Someone could pay for your subscription, or you could get one of those lifetime subscription cards that Blizzard gives to friends and family.

- Not forced. You set that goal yourself. The game doesn't require you to have the best weapon. And by tomorrow, this will probably be reading "forced to do Heroic Council/Consorts for best fist weapon".

- Yes, currently. It didn't used to be so, and it's being changed. Aren't you thankful?

- See above.

- Professions? Hopefully you picked the right profession and the right class. Or picked the right server and either know someone or have a lot of money. Either way, it's not nearly enough on its own. The most upgrades you're looking at are: chest, hands and weapons/offhand. Maybe helm if you're an Engineer.

Normal and Heroic Raids? If you have a guild carrying you through raids for gear, what would you even need rep gear for?

LFR? Aside from the obvious facetious remark I could make about LFR not being about gear but seeing content, wouldn't this be a chicken and egg problem? Gotta run LFR to get the gear to run LFR. Besides, Blizzard said that they don't see LFR as being a gearing alternative for regular raiders. It is its own "game".

Now of course, all of this could be rendered moot after 5.2 comes out. I don't know if you can become eligible for LFR Throne of Thunder without having to do the same stuff as before.

Yes, you are forced to do daily if you want to gear up faster ( But none forced you to gear up faster ... is it ? )
    Not this again. No one's forcing you to gear up, no one's forcing you to raid, no one's forcing you to log in, no one's forcing you to pay. No one probably forces you to do anything in your life if you see it that way, other than maybe the police.

But if the alternative is so ridiculous that it makes the game not fun anymore, what's the point of playing at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Technically your not forced to do any of those things. You don't have to pay 15 bucks to play this game. Nothing about what you listed is forced. At all. That doesn't mean it's good or that's it doesn't severely shove you in that direction. And it's designed to do exactly that. The developers just call it "compelling" when in reality it's very much FORCED.
    Well, to be honest, what distinguishes the most skilled players is their ability to perform their roles while executing precise mechanics. Gear is a secondary factor. Important, but secondary. The best teams go in horribly undergeared and still find a way to kill bosses.

So, it's not really about the coins, because the best guilds only need to farm coins for a couple of weeks and they're done till the next tier.

You can say it's about the coins and about gear from LFR and all the other little things but in reality it's not. Gear is something the not-quite-the-best guilds obsess about.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    Well, to be honest, what distinguishes the most skilled players is their ability to perform their roles while executing precise mechanics. Gear is a secondary factor. Important, but secondary. The best teams go in horribly undergeared and still find a way to kill bosses.

So, it's not really about the coins, because the best guilds only need to farm coins for a couple of weeks and they're done till the next tier.

You can say it's about the coins and about gear from LFR and all the other little things but in reality it's not. Gear is something the not-quite-the-best guilds obsess about.
    I agree nobody needs the gear. I don't see what relevance that has to do with it being forced content. Again nobody needs anything ni this game including the sub. Well Blizzard needs that but nobody needs to play this game. The game is all about want. So I really don't get the point your making here?

I agree nobody needs the gear. I don't see what relevance that has to do with it being forced content. Again nobody needs anything ni this game including the sub. Well Blizzard needs that but nobody needs to play this game. The game is all about want. So I really don't get the point your making here?
    What's my point?

If you want to progress faster, then you need to execute better. You don't need to do dailies for four months to do that.

What's my point?

If you want to progress faster, then you need to execute better. You don't need to do dailies for four months to do that.
    And I still don't get what that has to do with the forced nature of dailies? First of all it simple isn't true. Gear can and often will help you make up for soft execution. You don't NEED It, it's not a requirement like the settings on back of the box but if your serious about raiding your going to get it. I mean I don't need gems and enchants on my gear to clear the bosses either. Execution should do that. Would you accept that? Probably not. And that's cause your a raider and you know what's up.

Second of all even if it's true it doesn't make a difference in so far as the forced nature of dailies are concern. Dailies are forced because the alternatives are POORER and not steady and or easily exhausted. It has ZERO to do with raiding although I definetely feel that progression raiders are hampered when they don't run dailies and IIRC Bashiok said in some blue post somewhere that that's part of the territory of being a progression raider. Doing all this extra crap outside the raid.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2013-03-05 at 09:51 AM.

And I still don't get what that has to do with the forced nature of dailies? First of all it simple isn't true. Gear can and often will help you make up for soft execution. Second of all even if it's true it doesn't make a difference in so far as the forced nature of dailies are concern. Dailies are forced because the alternatives are POORER and not steady and or easily exhausted. It has ZERO to do with raiding although I definetely feel that progression raiders are hampered when they don't run dailies and IIRC Bashiok said in some blue post somewhere that that's part of the territory of being a progression raider. Doing all this extra crap outside the raid.
    If you're going to be a middle of the road progression raider and you are in a guild that wants everyone to do every last little thing then, sure, you are going to be "forced" to do dailies along with every other tiny thing that might improve your character.

This notion that if you're not doing every last little thing, you're letting your team down, I suppose it's true, but when you're fighting for server #6 vs server #7 I don't know why you would give a shit.

If you're going to be a middle of the road progression raider and you are in a guild that wants everyone to do every last little thing then, sure, you are going to be "forced" to do dailies along with every other tiny thing that might improve your character.

This notion that if you're not doing every last little thing, you're letting your team down, I suppose it's true, but when you're fighting for server #6 vs server #7 I don't know why you would give a shit.
    By that logic then their'd be no point in gemming or enchanting. I mean it's all execution right?

Quote Originally Posted by puppypizza View Post
    - Not forced. You set that goal yourself. The game doesn't require you to have the best weapon. And by tomorrow, this will probably be reading "forced to do Heroic Council/Consorts for best fist weapon".
    That's 2 diffent things ... what I want and what I need.
    I don't need it, but If I want it, I have to do

Quote Originally Posted by puppypizza View Post
    But if the alternative is so ridiculous that it makes the game not fun anymore, what's the point of playing at all?
    It depends what you defines 'Fun' ?

Seem everyone have different definition of Fun.
    Some people just having fun doing LFR.
    Some having fun doing Arena.
    Some having fun killing low level opposite faction.

If not having some purple epic gear making you 'not having fun' ... not much for me to say.

It was calculated and deliberate. It was meant to keep you in the game as long as possible with as little content as possible to keep you distracted from other great games. It worked. Now, they can breathe a sigh of relief and say "whoops, dailies sure did suck, huh?" because WoW remains dominant for no particularly good reason other than inertia.

If not having some purple epic gear making you 'not having fun' ... not much for me to say.
    Well clearly that purple gear is intrinsic to the fun factor. Otherwise people had dailies for years to keep themselves entertained. They only became "compelling" once they had gear behind them.

That's 2 diffent things ... what I want and what I need.
    I don't need it, but If I want it, I have to do

It depends what you defines 'Fun' ?

Seem everyone have different definition of Fun.
    Some people just having fun doing LFR.
    Some having fun doing Arena.
    Some having fun killing low level opposite faction.

I cannot speak for what makes the game "fun" to others. You seem to be misappropriating some need for gear as what makes it fun for me. I was actually one of those people "just having fun doing LFR". Problem is, you can't do all of LFR until you meet some arbitrary average item level number. Guess how you're supposed to overcome this limit? "Purple epic gear". So yeah, in a way, not having some purple epic gear did get in the way of me having fun.

I don't need it (gear), but if I want it (LFR), I have to do it (get gear).
    Last edited by puppypizza; 2013-03-05 at 10:56 AM. Reason: double negative

Their complaints aren't irrational no matter how you try and square it because the dailies very much are forced in any meaningful sense. now if you don't agree that's fine but that doesn't make them irrational. Their is so much wrong with the post and everything you post in general that it gives me a headache to read you. I would argue that the developers catering to YOUR wishes is irrational. In fact I would argue you are being irrational as a whole but hey man go complain to somebody about it.
    It's hard to admit you are wrong isn't it? God.

If you say something is forced or mandatory when it isn't you are irrational. FEELING something is forced/mandatory is irrational.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    So you are saying that I can't have nice stuff because it "forces" heroic raiders to do something they don't want to do, or even need to do ?

I never said anything close to that, so don't put words in my mouth thank you. I'm pointing out, that they could have made Lesser Charms available from other things than just dailies, they didn't have to tie patterns to reputation (could have done like in Cata where a raid recipe cost x amount of mats). Could have buffed the amount of VP that bosses gives etc.

Pretty much the changes we got in 5.2......

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 09:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post

If you say something is forced or mandatory when it isn't you are irrational. FEELING something is forced/mandatory is irrational.
    My guess is, that you've never raided at a more serious level. Cause any serious raider will disagree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    People were able to begin raiding T14 while doing a minimum of dailies and some managed it while doing no dailies whatsoever. People with an axe to grind repeated the thing about how dailies were mandatory over and over either knowing it really wasn't true or just being ignorant about things until it became common knowledge, even though it was incorrect. I'm not sure why it is that people somehow apparently lose most or all of their critical thinking capabilities when around the game but it seems to be something that happens on a regular basis. Shouting louder does not make it more true much like standing on your tiptoes doesn't help you to reach the high notes in The Star-Spangled Banner.

There's nothing at all in the game that's either forced or mandatory. People do respond to peer pressure or want to keep up with the herd but that's on them and has little or nothing to do with what Blizzard does. GC and others have said this a number of times: the point was to give people a lot to do at the start of the expansion. As in a wide variety of choices. Not a lot to do in the sense that YOU MUST DO ALL OF THIS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE OR YOU WILL LOSE!!!1!

I have no idea why Blizzard did a mea culpa for this except to placate those who continue to complain about it and hopefully get them to shut up.

Feelings are not the same thing as facts.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-03-06 at 08:33 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I wonder what humans in general go by: Something being mandatory or something feeling mandatory? And especially what motivates gamers to do something in-game?

If I may give an example:
    We all know we should wait for green-light when crossing a street. And we do when cars are passing by.
    But when there are no cars on that road, i never wait for the light to turn green, i just pass anyway.
    Now the red light makes waiting mandatory but still I'll cross it when there are no cars, cause it doesn't feel mandatory.

I think gamers (and it goes for irl also) are motivated by feeling mandatory.... as it comes down to doing stuff something being mandatory and feeling mandatory is exactly the same.

An nobody can tell me that Blizzard didn't knew that the players would feel that way and act that way. They designed the whole thing on this.

No not really. I mean you've been backing the wrong horse in this daily debate all along and it's come to bite you in the asshole and you still won't admit it sucks but yea I'm the one who can't admit I'm wrong.

It isn't irrational in the slightest especially when the developers insist that it's "compelling" content and the root definition of the word compelling contains the verb "to force" in it. It's hard to admit your wrong though I understand. YOu and the developers need to save some face so you simple say it "feels" that way.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    People were able to begin raiding T14 while doing a minimum of dailies and some managed it while doing no dailies whatsoever. People with an axe to grind repeated the thing about how dailies were mandatory over and over either knowing it really wasn't true or just being ignorant about things until it became common knowledge, even though it was incorrect. I'm not sure why it is that people somehow apparently lose most or all of their critical thinking capabilities when around the game but it seems to be something that happens on a regular basis. Shouting louder does not make it more true much like standing on your tiptoes doesn't help you to reach the high notes in The Star-Spangled Banner.

There's nothing at all in the game that's either forced or mandatory. People do respond to peer pressure or want to keep up with the herd but that's on them and has little or nothing to do with what Blizzard does. GC and others have said this a number of times: the point was to give people a lot to do at the start of the expansion. As in a wide variety of choices. Not a lot to do in the sense that YOU MUST DO ALL OF THIS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE OR YOU WILL LOSE!!!1!

I have no idea why Blizzard did a mea culpa for this except to placate those who continue to complain about it and hopefully get them to shut up.

Feelings are not the same thing as facts.
    Quick reality check here. Nothing in life is forced. Even if you live under some 3rd world dictatorship you can still chose to resist. Their are degrees of forced. Even if the developers just came out and admitted yea it's forced you have to do it you could still chose not to do it. So the criteria that it's an ABSOLUTE force is worthless. Now their are degrees of force, as force isn't a binary proposition. The Dailies and the gear behind them ARE TERRIBLE FORCED. That's all their is to it. They feel forced because they are indeed FORCED. You can't accept that, even when apparently the developers come out and abandon the cause and the god has left the shrine but you still worship.

When the developers say the content was "compelling" what they really mean to say is that it's forced. They should really just be honest and say that but I'm not sure why they couldn't.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2013-03-06 at 08:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't irrational in the slightest especially when the developers insist that it's "compelling" content and the root definition of the word compelling contains the verb "to force" in it. It's hard to admit your wrong though I understand. YOu and the developers need to save some face so you simple say it "feels" that way.
    There are other definitions for compelling that nothing to do with 'force'. "That movie we saw the other night was very compelling. I've thought about it constantly since we saw it." Nothing forced there. "It's a very compelling book. You should read it." Sorry, not feeling forced.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    There are other definitions for compelling that nothing to do with 'force'. "That movie we saw the other night was very compelling. I've thought about it constantly since we saw it."
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/compel

All the definitions involve force or sway or coercion. Even your movie example involves coercion. The compelling film is coercing you to think about it. Now it's a degree thing I agree that's why it's funny to think about it like that for a movie but for gear and progression it clearly isn't strange in the slightest. The "compelling" content is actually really forced content. Period. Otherwise it wouldn't be compelling, apparently.

Actually the developers also admit it's a problem to and not just here. The discussion about alts is something they readily admit as a problem. In their quest to create compelling content (forced grinds) they made it pretty shitty for alts. Well why would it be shitty for alts if it wasn't forced?

They keep hinting around it and if you read their comments you get the feeling that their in a real bad spot. They know what's up and they knew what was up in the beta when people told them what a dumb ass idea it was. I guess next expansion they'll have some other idea? Who fucking knows. I'm not liking their whole go slow thing this expansion and everything that goes with it. My time is valuable and I'd like my time in game to also be rewarding. If their saying that just isn't the case well then they're going to lose alot of people. Hopefully that'll be enough to shock them out of this. It appears to be doing that already, but it's baby steps with Blizzard. That is until the next expansion.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2013-03-06 at 08:56 AM.

Dailies where forced! There is nothing to it....... if people want to echo what blizzard is saying and defending that till the end... well that is up to them.

'It does' vs 'it doesn't' doesn't make a compelling discussion!

Leveling is not mandatory.
    Equipping new-found gear isn't mandatory.
    leveling professions isn't mandatory.
    gemming/enchanting isn't mandatory.
    Putting points in talents isn't mandatory.
    Using meeting stones to summon people isn't mandatory.
    Learning riding/flying skills aren't mandatory.
    Using ground/flying mounts isn't mandatory.
    Doing dungeons isn't mandatory.
    Doing raids isn't mandatory.
    Doing dailies isn't mandatory.

Now that I come to think of it, NOTHING is really mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    'It does' vs 'it doesn't' doesn't make a compelling discussion!
    According to Blizzard logic that is EXACTLY a compelling decision because it is really a forced decision. It's a non decision. If it was an actual decision where you could say refuse it and not lose out on a damn thing then that wouldn't be a non decision. It would also not "compel" (force) enough of you to do the daily quest bullshit they want you to swallow.

I mean I could chose to pay my taxes or be audited, fined and potentially jailed. That's a compelling decision. I mean for you people arguing in favor of this daily bullshit I still technically have a choice. I could go deal with Canada Revenue. And people have done that in the past as a means of protest and so forth. However if you asked people wether they had a choice in the matter or not most would simple say no. It's taxes you pay them. I guess their all irrational to.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2013-03-06 at 09:07 AM.