Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some memories for our resident Red Wings fans, memories for Canadian hockey fans:

At the age of 77, Stompin' Tom Connors, famous for The Hockey Song, passed away today

RIP Tom, your appreciation for hockey will live on through the hearts of Canadians.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    When they brought him to the ice and presented him with the cup in 98 and the whole team wheeled him around the ice, even as a wet behind the ears teenager, my room had never been dustier.
    Ya I can safely say that that is the peak feels moments in my long history of being a sports fan. I'm watching the highlights of Game 4 of that Finals now. Man I loved those teams. Dougie Brown. Fedorov. Larionov. Marty LaPointe. Shanny. Murph. Stevie. Ozzie. The Grind Line. Kozlov (who was basically the less talented version of Datsyuk). Joe Kocur. Homer. Lidstrom.

If there is one sports time I could relive by moving it to the modern era it would be those two years. They were just so damn incredible as a Wings fan. Amazing highs, terrible lows. Plus could you imagine the amount of bitching me and Marcellos would do about Fedorov holding out and only playing 20 games in the regular season? Man it would be intense. The ridiculous amounts of manlove we would all pour out on Dougie Brown, one of the unsung heroes for the Wings those two years.

I should not have watched this. The feels. I really think the Wings should retire his number. Had his career not been cut short he would have been one of the most legendary players for the Wings. There hasn't been a single player to ever play for them that has been such a motivational force. The Wings only retire true legends of the game, but I think he should be up there. No one is ever going to wear that number again anyways. Hang it from the rafters like it deserves.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 09:46 PM ----------

Holy hell the Hawks are losing after two. The Avs might actually end the streak. Don't fuck this up Chicago. The undefeated asterisk season must live on!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hawks are halfway through the season without a regulation time loss... LET THE FAIR WEATHER FANS COMMENCE!!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    stop posting the vladdy videos or im gonna die from dehydration guys...

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 12:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya I can safely say that that is the peak feels moments in my long history of being a sports fan. I'm watching the highlights of Game 4 of that Finals now. Man I loved those teams. Dougie Brown. Fedorov. Larionov. Marty LaPointe. Shanny. Murph. Stevie. Ozzie. The Grind Line. Kozlov (who was basically the less talented version of Datsyuk). Joe Kocur. Homer. Lidstrom.

If there is one sports time I could relive by moving it to the modern era it would be those two years. They were just so damn incredible as a Wings fan. Amazing highs, terrible lows. Plus could you imagine the amount of bitching me and Marcellos would do about Fedorov holding out and only playing 20 games in the regular season? Man it would be intense. The ridiculous amounts of manlove we would all pour out on Dougie Brown, one of the unsung heroes for the Wings those two years.

I should not have watched this. The feels. I really think the Wings should retire his number. Had his career not been cut short he would have been one of the most legendary players for the Wings. There hasn't been a single player to ever play for them that has been such a motivational force. The Wings only retire true legends of the game, but I think he should be up there. No one is ever going to wear that number again anyways. Hang it from the rafters like it deserves.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 09:46 PM ----------

Holy hell the Hawks are losing after two. The Avs might actually end the streak. Don't fuck this up Chicago. The undefeated asterisk season must live on!
    it truly will be a shame if ANYONE wheres #16 in Detroit again.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Is the asterisk good or bad? Surely a condensed 48 game schedule with 12 back to backs makes it more likely to go into a game with tired legs and no energy?

Some professor from Bentley University compiled all the games in the history of the NHL and came up with a stat that a start to a season like this is expected to happen once in every 700 years. Who knows how he came up with that one considering Philly went 35 straight only 30 some years ago. Still though only 5 more til we tie that Philly record and the next 5 opponents are not quality teams.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    stop posting the vladdy videos or im gonna die from dehydration guys...
    Fine! Since I mentioned him as being a counterpart to Vlady's awesomeness before...I present to you my favorite NHL'er of all time.

In retrospect though he wouldn't last in today's NHL lol, Campbell or Shanny would have run him out of town for at least half of those...
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-03-07 at 08:15 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine! Since I mentioned him as being a counterpart to Vlady's awesomeness before...I present to you my favorite NHL'er of all time.

In retrospect though he wouldn't last in today's NHL lol, Campbell or Shanny would have run him out of town for at least half of those...

actually they wouldn't they know he is a clean hitter

As for Kronwall's absense of hitting, he doesn't have a good defenseman to lean on to step up, I think he thinks too much about staying back. /shrug
    second best hitter next to Stevens imo
    That guy ever make a single clean hit?

Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    actually they wouldn't they know he is a clean hitter
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    That guy ever make a single clean hit?
    There is a glitch in the Matrix!

I tend to agree kabookie that he is, it's just that in the past couple years similar hits have had suspensions laid out. Guess it just illustrates the inconsistency even more in the disciplinary commission.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a glitch in the Matrix!

I tend to agree kabookie that he is, it's just that in the past couple years similar hits have had suspensions laid out. Guess it just illustrates the inconsistency even more in the disciplinary commission.
    While it wasn't even that long ago that Scott Stevens retired, the game has changed quite a bit in terms of the physical aspect and what is deemed as a legal hit these days.

NHLPA consented to realignment for next season. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...s-realignment/

That'll be interesting playing Detroit 6 times next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Edmonton is on a 9 game road trip, how is this possible? Flames longest is 4 games, is there any other teams that have to go out for 9? I think it's because of some curling tournament up there but still, wow. Especially at this point in the season, this could make or break them. I feel kinda bad because they really need to get the ball rolling, 3 straight years of tanking and they haven't made the playoffs period since their run in 06'. They did their whole rebuild thing and still are in the same position in the standings as us. Although their future looks a lot brighter, no one can say their current progress is O.K. Do they need another #1 pick to finally be the team they're working towards? Regardless of me disliking them, it always sucks to see fellow Canadian teams in the lower rungs like the 2 Alberta teams + Winnipeg.
    It is VERY frustrating being an Oilers fan. Some nights you see the flash of potential that they have, especially the young kids, but then the next few games they stand around like pylons watching the puck getting hemmed in their own zone most of the game, and maybe, scoring a goal or two on 15 shots. While the other team has close to 40. It's embarassing beyond belief. Then the players say the same cliche, boring stuff before, during and after a game. We need to get more shots, we need to do this and that etc. But do they ever do it? Nope. I truly believe hard work can do wonders. If they battled hard every night, got shots and were at least consistent in their play, win or loss, I'd be fine with it because I know they're at least trying and playing the way they need to play to at least grab a lower playoff spot. But it's not going to happen. With the exception of their 06 run where they got incredibly hot at the right time, they must be the worst team of the decade. I'm still a fan, but man oh man, it's frustrating. Even Columbus is dominating us.

They've had a new coach every year of the rebuild and every year, critics say the same thing. Oh such and such coach is a perfect fit. They will be good for the young players etc. Quinn, Renney and now Kreuger are all the same. They're too easy going. The team needs a coach like Lindy Ruff. A hard ass who demands hard work and will get the most out of them. No more babying them. They need a tough love coach.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2013-03-07 at 11:37 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just noticed that the Wings play the Ducks two games in a row, both in Anaheim later on this month. That is very odd scheduling, typically when two teams play each other in consecutive games it is home and home. I don't know if I've ever seen that before in hockey or basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I just noticed that the Wings play the Ducks two games in a row, both in Anaheim later on this month. That is very odd scheduling, typically when two teams play each other in consecutive games it is home and home. I don't know if I've ever seen that before in hockey or basketball.
    I suppose it was easier to pencil it in in a shortened season, especially when each conference are only playing each other. I can't think of anything as well honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    those types of games are all over the schedule this year, I know the Kings have back to back games against Calgary in LA coming up

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should really do that for teams with such a wide distance of travel to be honest. Home and home games are so bad for teams in the West, not so bad for teams in the East where there is far less travel between the majority of teams.

15+ Year Old Account
    Woot for new alignment!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    We play the Kings twice in a row in L.A. next week I think

15+ Year Old Account
    i know i have already cheered about it but...

WOOH EAST!

15+ Year Old Account
    Is the asterisk good or bad? Surely a condensed 48 game schedule with 12 back to backs makes it more likely to go into a game with tired legs and no energy?
    Probably bad but it won't make the accomplishment less impressive. I am totally pulling for Chicago to just never lose this season. That would be absolutely insane. You'll get your "Ya but it wasn't 82" people, but man would that be an impossibly impressive achievement. Chicago plays all over the country in different time zones, like you said they have the most back to backs in the league this year, there just is no real downside to what they have done except for the "not 82 games" asterisk.

The Hawks streak is real close to surpassing the '72 Lakers 33 game streak for impressiveness in my book. Obviously there is more parity in the NHL now than there was in the NBA back then and with everything else the Hawks deal with I am willing to overlook the OTLs as black marks against it.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 08:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    i know i have already cheered about it but...

WOOH EAST!
    Suck it 10:30 games!!!

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 08:32 PM ----------

Good lord Eberle and Schultz are top 10 in AHL scoring still? They haven't played a freaking AHL game in two months!