Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anowyn View Post
    I will admit that fat people who say it's not their fault do piss me off. Not because they are fat, but because they say it isn't their fault. If they didn't like it, they can eat less and be active. If you keep reducing calories, at some point you will find the right amount of calories to lose weight and you can eat that amount until you reach a goal.
    So - I piss you off your telling you the facts ?

Seems odd.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I recommend the thisisthinprivilege Tumblr blog, which is a nonstop stream of people that insist that obesity has absolutely nothing to do with people's actions.
    Tumblr is a massive piece of garbage with a lot of deluded, crazy people of all body weights, ethnicities and genders.

When I wrote what I wrote, I meant the people I know. My father is obese and has type 2 diabetes, and anyone who calls him unmotivated, lazy and irresponsible can fuck off. Do you presume to say that about my father because you've read some pathetic peoples ramblings on tumblr? I hope not.

i know exactly what the original poster is on about and agree completely, most of my family is fat and the other 1/2 is skinny and can eat as much as they want and not gain an ounce

i was fat, i only ever blamed myself,

im 6"2 at my peak i was 380 pounds at 22, i was addicted to wow to the point were i spent 16hrs+ a day sitting on my ass playing games, then i got perma banned decided it was time for a change, after 2 years i had managed to get down to 192 pounds ... at 3 years i am now 240 after bulking up. for me my weight was as a result of being a lazy mofo.

i still eat the junk food just not every day.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    That seems like a really silly argument. Being fat is bad because it might limit population growth, but being gay doesn't? You know 2 dudes or 2 chicks can't make a kid without getting a 3rd person to help. (and yes being gay is not a choice, but there is clearly many cases of Gay people having children through heterosexual relations)

Also turn on some daytime TV, half those shows are fat poor women with 5 kids trying to figure out who the daddy is. It seems like fat people are breeding just fine.
    I'd be amazed if you could keep your weight after 5 kids.

Low income families often suffer more obesity, because crappy food is cheap food. When it comes to surviving, most people would eat unhealthy food over eating too little.

We have law to prevent crime. We need regulation to keep down obesity. Never count on people being 100% responsible in their actions, if that was ever the case we wouldn't need law. Tax crappy food higher, tax sugary foods higher and make healthy alternatives more available and cheaper.

Ofcourse, personal responsability is part of it all, but if you think that politics and money doesn't have a big hand in all of it, you've really missed something.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-03-07 at 06:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    That seems like a really silly argument. Being fat is bad because it might limit population growth, but being gay doesn't? You know 2 dudes or 2 chicks can't make a kid without getting a 3rd person to help. (and yes being gay is not a choice, but there is clearly many cases of Gay people having children through heterosexual relations)

Also turn on some daytime TV, half those shows are fat poor women with 5 kids trying to figure out who the daddy is. It seems like fat people are breeding just fine.
    That wasn't really my point. It was more of an afterthought. Being gay doesn't kill people. Being unhealthy obese does. The point was it's destructive to society as whole simply because its only happened now. Gays have been around forever and society bloomed and flourished. Half the world population being obese would be huge problems. Also, nobody wants to live in that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitysucks View Post
    Well I can see my abdominals and I have muscle mass, it's not like I'm all bone.
    I tend to store all my fat on my stomach and still have not an inch of fat on my arms, legs etc, it looks stupid so I maintain a low body fat. Think of a pregnant skinny guy, it's like that.

Not trying to insult you but I don't trust doctors especially US ones, they still believe that margarine is healthy and butter is not.
    They still think most fat is bad and eating it will kill you, based off of the heavily flawed lipid hypothesis.
    I understand trusting a "professional" over some random on the internet, though.

Since we're the same height, I just can't imagine weighing 100 lbs more than I do now and still being 'healthy', unless it was all muscle.
    Well the doctor I have is pretty damn good as he caught my hip displacia(spell check?) early on when I was younger and is highly recommended but yeah at 250 I'm not at my healthy weight :P At 200ish I would be. I have a bulky build and that's all it comes down to.

Guess how they got fat in the first place. They're lazy and weak willed. It's much easier to make excuses than to admit you're a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    oh god the first comment had to be someone who can't read "work in progress". Why do you hate me sorry? Why? Why???????????

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamanTankFTW View Post
    Most ignorant and self righteous post I have ever read. She eats like the OP says she eats and you think she is fat because of "others"? Get off your f#ck%ng high horse and open your eyes. NO ONE is responsible for yourself other than yourself. If said person has an uncontrollable effect like a thyroid problem then there is a damn pill that can be taken to less than $100 a year. You just have to not be a lazy fatty and take it every day.
    I never said that anyone is fat because of anyone else. Never. That is absurd. What I said is that nobody has any idea wtf someone else is going through in their life. There are many things that can cause someone to gain weight. We do not have an obesity problem purely because people want to be fat or choose not to do anything about it. Life situations can dictate a lot of a person's physical and mental health.

All things equal with no external variables it is 100% your responsibility. Life is not fair and all people are not created equal. That is not an excuse, that is a fact of life. When I say that people are different it does not mean that some people are fat by birth. It means that we all respond differently to different stimuli. People are not all the same.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
    Guess how they got fat in the first place. They're lazy and weak willed. It's much easier to make excuses than to admit you're a failure.
    Citation needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Citation needed.
    Why? It's pretty intuitive that it requires willpower to lose weight. They are unable to, and instead pig out on garbage food.
    oh god the first comment had to be someone who can't read "work in progress". Why do you hate me sorry? Why? Why???????????

Lazy and weak willed are some of the reasons, other reasons include medical issues, environmental factors and financial constraints.

For me - the last three are core, the last one being primary.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 06:32 AM ----------

Why? It's pretty intuitive that it requires willpower to lose weight. They are unable to, and instead pig out on garbage food.
    Wow - did you know that black and white are only two of the possible colours that the eye can see. You should try at least gray scale - then advance to colour

10+ Year Old Account
    You ever notice that everyone has different levels of willpower? Some people are smarter than others too!
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Apathy is certainly an alternative explanation.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread just made me hungry.

But yeah, only eat what you need, make sure to eat about 5 meals a day, keep the metabolism running.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Lazy and weak willed are some of the reasons, other reasons include medical issues, environmental factors and financial constraints.

For me - the last three are core, the last one being primary.
    People with medical issues I accept and feel sorry for, but these are a small minority and even then they can do something about it. Not sure what you mean by environmental factors. And really, financial constraints? Being fat means you consume in excess of your caloric requirements. How does someone who is struggling for cash manage to buy more than they need?

10+ Year Old Account
    And really, financial constraints? Being fat means you consume in excess of your caloric requirements. How does someone who is struggling for cash manage to buy more than they need?
    Cheaper foods are higher in fat and calories....
    I like sandwiches

At my fattest, I was around 93KG. My issue wasn't that I was lazy and didn't play sport; it was that I ate far more than I burned (24/7 pantry access). I've slimmed down (relative) to about 80Ks or so which I'm happy with. I'm not super toned but I'm not overly fat either, I'm in the middle. (I'm 183CM) Pics related as of about 5 minutes ago.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2sagku0.jpg
    http://oi46.tinypic.com/a1mjyu.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    So i know this fat person and she is really fat
    So fat to the point she cant walk without having pains in her knee.

But when people ask her to lose weight she says she cant lose weight and shes fat because its in her genes.

When i heard that i was just thinking.
    "oh its your genes making you fat is it? it's not the 2 bacon and egg sandwiches and 3 hashbrowns and sausages you had for breakfast, or the whole pizza, garlic bread and 10 chicken wings and 2litre coke you had for dinner?

seriously people need to own up to their actions.
    If i wanted to be fat i could, i could eat anything i want and get fat but i choose not to.
    Eating is like a luxury, especially eating food that taste good.
    So sometimes people need to sacrafice some food to lose weight..

Do you know a fat person who blames others or genes for their weight?
    Or are you a fat person who blames others?
    Why are you over overgeneralizing? Your thread title clearly implies that not one obese person anywhere has ever taken responsibility for their unhealthy weight. You then pull out an example of one person that you know. Epic logic fail. Data is not the plural of anecdote.

One of my best friends is overweight - she's lost over fifty pounds in the last year through diet and exercise changes. Also, nice false dichotomy at the end of your post. Let me give you my own version of it:

Do you blame your inability to use the English language well on others or on external forces?
    Or are you just too ignorant to use capitalization correctly?

P.S. Learn to use capitalization properly, if you ever want anything you write to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    So i know this fat person and she is really fat
    So fat to the point she cant walk without having pains in her knee.

But when people ask her to lose weight she says she cant lose weight and shes fat because its in her genes.

When i heard that i was just thinking.
    "oh its your genes making you fat is it? it's not the 2 bacon and egg sandwiches and 3 hashbrowns and sausages you had for breakfast, or the whole pizza, garlic bread and 10 chicken wings and 2litre coke you had for dinner?
    Have to love the cowardice to think these thoughts, then run to the internet to show how much of a tough guy you are to have thought those thoughts! Seriously, if it bothers you that much, man up and say it to her face next time.

As for the issue, yes, everyone knows people that blame things on others. For some, there is an actual underlying reason, but for the majority, it's just they like to eat too much and not exercise. Yes, there are people out there that have the genes for obesity, and no matter what they do, they retain too many calories, therefore they always will be fat. You're not exactly one to make that judgement though.

If people want to be fat, that's on them. Personally, if it doesn't effect me in a negative way, I couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Citation needed.
    The body doesn't just materialize fat out of nowhere. There are mechanisms by which the body stores energy in the form of fat and the basic rules apply to everybody (fat, skinny, and everything in between). I guess in general it's less of a case of being "weak willed" and more a case of being "ignorant" with respect to how the body functions. Very, very, very few people are stuck with a particular body type with regard to weight. Once you understand how your body is affected by how you eat (and that can vary slightly on an individual basis), then it really is just a matter of will power.

EDIT: Yeah, I guess there are people who know how to lose weight and consciously chose not to.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2013-03-07 at 06:45 AM.