Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Racism, homophobia and WoW players.

So homophobia has come a long way in Wow. The players have gone from straight guys calling each other homophobic slurs as insult; to straight guys saying they want to have sex with each other as complements. But the same thing has not happen to racism from the players in the game. The average guild chat is still filled with the same "Lol at black people and their stereotypes" as when it began. My question is why? Why have the players shifted away from homophobia but at the same time hold on to racism.
    gw2 is a great game

10+ Year Old Account
    you actually think homophobia no longer exists and suddenly everyones on the same level with it?

Urm.. yeah, you might want to check the list of how many opening gay characters are in wow, and every time something shitty happens in the game, how long it takes for it to be refereed to as 'gay' in a bad meaning derogatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its the Internet.

/thread

I mean, are you saying you've never heard a homophobic, racist slur outside of WoW? I open Facebook for 5 minutes and see all of those things on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    you actually think homophobia no longer exists and suddenly everyones on the same level with it?
    Still homophobia is not as bad as it was. But racism is still as bad. The homophobia has gotten better the racism has not.
    gw2 is a great game

They seem to be both at healthy high levels to me.

Deleted
    i think straight ppl telling each other they are sexy and fuckable is kind of exactly what was formerly "suspected" homosexuals were supposed to be seen: narcistic men loving other men as result for not beeing able to love or in this case fuck themselves.

this is what HS is totally NOT about, and some little kids are making sarcasm out of it - i think. you dont tell somebody you want to fuck him just to adress that he may be a good looking or well dressed or well trained man. somehow this is odd, but my english skills arent good enough to express that sarcasm exactly. i think its sarcasm ^^. or maybe some kind of "exercise" for feeling less uncomfortable IF someone really says that to them?! i donno. its weird.

on the other hand, its nice some actually can take it as a compliment rather than freaking out and feeling "less a man cause a men is attracted to me" thing.

but its still totally crazy when "claimed straight guys" complement each other by saying they want to fuck each other. thats just absurd. thats just escalating quickly then. its just some kind of sarcasm you probably didnt get until now ;-) thats what i think, so homophobia itself may be retreating, but still HS stereotypes are growing, maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    The racism is pretty bad. I play on a Latin server (Quel'thalas) and am often kicked before runs even start and called a Mexican even though I am American who lives in Chile lol They say that everybody on Quel'thalas is some kind of dirt poor little vagrant who plays in internet cafes...which is ironic because stuff like WoW is pretty much only available to richest of the rich people here so the Quel'Thalas folks you come across are probably the family of politicians, celebrities, and businesspeople from Latin America.

I just laugh at them because they contradict themselves...the elitists who harp on having to be with "mexicans" who don't speak English are the same ones who complain about how their Vanilla server community is dead. Meanwhile on our servers, the language barrier has created an environment and insular community that's very much like what servers would have been like in Vanilla where everybody knows each other and people generally don't like to use LFR/LFD.

Then they'll say that LFR/LFD has made the people into worse players...then in the same breath they'll say that all Latin players (most of which don't use LFR/LFD), all suck and don't know anything.

So yea, people who say racist stuff are stupid hypocrites. Newsflash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    The racism is pretty bad. I play on a Latin server (Quel'thalas) and am often kicked before runs even start and called a Mexican even though I am American who lives in Chile lol They say that everybody on Quel'thalas is some kind of dirt poor little vagrant who plays in internet cafes...which is ironic because stuff like WoW is pretty much only available to richest of the rich people here so the Quel'Thalas folks you come across are probably the family of politicians, celebrities, and businesspeople from Latin America.

I just laugh at them because they contradict themselves...the elitists who harp on having to be with "mexicans" who don't speak English are the same ones who complain about how their Vanilla server community is dead. Meanwhile on our servers, the language barrier has created an environment and insular community that's very much like what servers would have been like in Vanilla where everybody knows each other and people generally don't like to use LFR/LFD.

Then they'll say that LFR/LFD has made the people into worse players...then in the same breath they'll say that all Latin players (most of which don't use LFR/LFD), all suck and don't know anything.

So yea, people who say racist stuff are stupid hypocrites. Newsflash.
    My beef with people from Quel'Thalas isn't the fact that they're spanish, that isn't even something I consider. Its the fact that they shout at me (the MT) in spanish, /whisper me explaining the fight in spanish (Which I don't speak, and I already know the fight). Sure, a lot of players Ive met from brazil servers were god-awfully terrible, but so was I at some point, so I brush it off.

Saying "All players from Quel'Thalas SUCK" isn't racist or homophobic, just stereotypical.

yeah i would say there's a lot of inappropriate things said almost everywhere you go.

No matter how much you see or experience in WoW, the WoW forums and chat rooms - remember you are seeing a very VERY select tiny portion of the population.

What you're doing is the same as judging the entire American social culture based on your experience via walking around Los Angeles.

isn't it because it's still present in rl? peoples need to understand that the world were everyone is accepted and is holding hands with each other do not exist, it's just a hippie dream, there is a whole part of humanity that you can classify as scum.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haven't heard the nig- or fag- in trade chat or in pvp for almost a year now. I'd say it has gotten better.

Used too when all the 4chan meme crap started to plague WoW like a zombie outbreak everyone was making rude comments to everyone just to troll. I used to ware my report button out and I would not be surprised if back then GM's knew me by name.

But it wont go away. As long as gamers and nerds hide in the basement all insecure about their own sexuality and are scared of females they will need to boast their masculinity somehow. Either by starring at Sylvannis' ass or making it as obvious as possible that they are not gay, they'll do it.
    Last edited by Paladin885; 2013-03-09 at 08:26 PM.

It's definitly lighter, I get random people complimenting my gay priest's transmog all the time. I don't mind people using gay as an insult, it actually gets me more irritated when people say it and then are like "omg I'm sorry I didn't mean that". Black man laughs at black jokes, red neck laughs at red neck jokes, I will also laugh at gay ones. :P

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    isn't it because it's still present in rl? peoples need to understand that the world were everyone is accepted and is holding hands with each other do not exist, it's just a hippie dream, there is a whole part of humanity that you can classify as scum.
    Yea, the portion that believes coexistence isn't possible.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

A world were everyone is accepted and is holding hands is not just a hippie dream. It is the idea behind the constitution.
    gw2 is a great game

Deleted
    Most of these guys aren't even truly homophobic, they just think it's cool to make homophobic comments, like some sort of hood talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow encourages racism at its core. The very principle of the game is to have players hate on people on the opposing side of something just because they can.

You think a fictional concept can't encourage real life racism? If anything it makes it easier for people to be that way because the developers make it so, its like giving a alcoholic a barrel of beer, saying 'do what you like with it', and then turning away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Wow encourages racism at its core. The very principle of the game is to have players hate on people on the opposing side of something just because they can.

You think a fictional concept can't encourage real life racism? If anything it makes it easier for people to be that way because the developers make it so, its like giving a alcoholic a barrel of beer, saying 'do what you like with it', and then turning away.
    You're right, let's just make everything polically correct. Let's turn all races in wow into humans, so no one is hated because he plays a different race. Let's make all genders male, we wouldn't want people to move on to gender hate. And since we're at it, let's make all characters look the same, to avoid hair color or eye color hate.

I despise political correctness with all my being.

I have no problem with heterohobic gays, what right do i have to prohibit them anything ? They can hate me and think M+F is wrong, call me sick and so on. But i expect same treatment, if i think that M+M\F+F is wrong what right do they have to call me homophob ? Be gay, who cares ? Why they so consern about what other people think of them ? Be zoophile, necrophile....its u right.

But no, EVERY minority demands special treatment to themselfs, want to stand out from the crowd, why ? on what basis ? note that heterosexuals rarely\never parades propagating this lifestyle, we simply live.

Or white people rarely\never demand to forbid consider them racists based solely on skin color, btw why it is considerered normal to adress to any caucasian as White ? Its not racist ? South Park has a great episode on the subject.

btw USA developers thinks it's ok to make Russians main villains in 90% of games, why u not protest against it ? Its normal, not racist ? Political correct even it PC heaven aka USA ? No one even carres about it, exept few couple deprived of attention officials.

Some minorities simply hypocrites...but i bet most live normal live and understand than it doesnt matter gay, white, black, man, woman and so on what matters is good people and bad(mannered and rude), and both types are present in any group of people. educated person can convey his dislike for any group, even without direct insults.
    Last edited by Warak; 2013-03-09 at 09:18 PM.

As someone who isn't racist at all but would be considered homophobic (even though it's an inaccurate term) I can't say I've noticed the trend you speak of. If anything it's the opposite, I never really notice serious racism but lots of people aren't embracing of gays.