15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you Colorado!

- Everyone outside of Chicago.

now do the hawks recover or become the collapse of the century?
    I could easily come in here and complain that neither of the Avalanche's blatant head hits between Shaw & Keith went unpenalized and how we were dealt the shortest straw, but I won't. Because as I've said before - calls go both ways and so do blown calls.

I don't think the Blackhawks will collapse as a team, but I do sense that more losses will come for sure. It was sad to see on my FB yesterday so many people pointing the finger at Crawford and saying "EMERY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN!" - No one saw that kind of blow out coming. No one. A loss is bound to happen and what the Hawks did in this day and age of the NHL was unbelievable and I think any true hockey fan realizes that and should respect what they have done whether you're a fan or not, regardless if it was a shortened season, and it was only interconference matchups.

There's still plenty of hockey to be played & the ultimate goal is Lord Stanley's Cup. As any fan, I'd be disappointed if we get knocked out first round and it would have been all for nothing, but quote me on this that if the Hawks do make the Finals and either WIN or LOSE - I will still be happy we didn't become an absolute wash out.

People are genuinely that upset about a loss this far into the season? Geez. Get some perspective, it's an unprecedented opening.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knails View Post
    I could easily come in here and complain that neither of the Avalanche's blatant head hits between Shaw & Keith went unpenalized and how we were dealt the shortest straw, but I won't. Because as I've said before - calls go both ways and so do blown calls.

I don't think the Blackhawks will collapse as a team, but I do sense that more losses will come for sure. It was sad to see on my FB yesterday so many people pointing the finger at Crawford and saying "EMERY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN!" - No one saw that kind of blow out coming. No one. A loss is bound to happen and what the Hawks did in this day and age of the NHL was unbelievable and I think any true hockey fan realizes that and should respect what they have done whether you're a fan or not, regardless if it was a shortened season, and it was only interconference matchups.

There's still plenty of hockey to be played & the ultimate goal is Lord Stanley's Cup. As any fan, I'd be disappointed if we get knocked out first round and it would have been all for nothing, but quote me on this that if the Hawks do make the Finals and either WIN or LOSE - I will still be happy we didn't become an absolute wash out.
    I think most people feel that way about their teams though, I'd rather see the Leafs succeed and at least make the playoffs, rather then hearing the intense faggotry that is the Toronto media, bitch and cry about the Leafs missing the playoffs. At least seeing your team make the playoffs gives you a good idea of where your team is at in terms of being a Cup contender and for the Hawks right now they probably have the highest odds of winning it if they can keep it together into the post season. After a couple of disappointing seasons, I am sure Hawks fans everywhere are amazed by the start their team has had, as most hockey fans in general are. It would be disappointing to see them eliminated in the first round but I don't think that is going to happen. Outside the top 2, the West is a pretty shit conference in terms of talent and depth this year. Too many teams are within a couple of points of one another and that is a lousy way to gauge just how good your team is. My opinion is that if you can't constantly dominate the same teams in a 48 game schedule, there is no way you are going to last in the playoffs without running into each series going 7 games.

I will be pissed off if the Leafs don't make the playoffs since they have had a strong and consistent start so far, the East is a tricky conference as some teams have struggled that should be in the race, but teams like the Flyers are several points out of Toronto's position that it's almost irrelevant at this point to consider them threats. The way the standings are now in the East is likely to be the same at playoff time, the West is going to have considerably more variation as so many teams are closer in the standings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    People are genuinely that upset about a loss this far into the season? Geez. Get some perspective, it's an unprecedented opening.
    they had to wait awhile before complaining, maybe it was pent up

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The shortened season is deceptive imo. I would way rather be in the East come playoff time. Currently with Montreal at the #1 seed is anyone -really- afraid to play them in the playoffs? Sure they are playing some great hockey right now but that team is just so easily beaten by bigger teams. If they end up facing a Ranger team or Flyers team I can see them just being routed first round. Then in second you have the Penguins who have been perennial favourites to at least go to the finals but the story is always the same. Marc-Andre Fleury is super streaky and if he isn't playing his very best, Pens are gone 1st or 2nd round. The only team I'd really be scared to play is Boston. I'm not completely sold on Raskk because when they won the cup they had superhuman goaltending. Other than that Toronto could be a dark horse if they end up in roughly the same position. New Jersey without Parise? Broduer could conjure up a couple good rounds but I just don't see them repeating what they did last year. If I'm a fan of say, the New York Rangers (mainly because they are the strongest team on paper in the East I'd say) there is no team that I see giving them any real trouble even if all 8 teams play their best hockey. On the outside looking in there, Philly is the same old Flyers team as always. I'd think Washington will end up somewhere in the playoff picture since they seem to be turning it around but I don't think anyone is holding their breath vs the Caps.

Now with the West, I'll put it from my own perspective even though it's unrealistic because we shoulden't make the playoffs let alone finish below 8th. Things can change but if Chicago and Anaheim are 1 and 2 I think those are both auto losses. Ducks especially, no one is really talking about them because of how well the Hawks have started. Fasth is an absolute beast in net. Maybe he's just hot right now but that guy is a wall. And even if he plays bad they have Hiller who is still 7-2(?I think) this season. If Blackhawks goalie situation holds up (I don't think it does to this extent but I don't think it will be as bad as last year) then they are by far the scariest team to face. So deep and their top end talent is just amazing. From there if you're 6th you play Vancouver. Say what you want about the Canucks, if they get scoring from someone not named Sedin you're in for a tough series. The top 3 should beat the bottom 3 but crazier things have happened. No offense to the Detroit fans in here but that's the one team in the top 5 that I woulden't even mind to play. If L.A. plays anywhere near the way they played last year that's a pretty daunting task to try to beat. San Jose is San Jose, I mean they usually lose sometime in the playoffs but if that team catches fire at any point they have the talent to beat pretty much anyone. I doubt Dallas hangs in there but that's a gimmie pretty much. St. Louis is interesting because they play a strong defensive game. It's pretty difficult to play against if they actually play it well. Couple that with Halak in net, we all know what he can do. I have the Blues as my Western Conference dark horse especially if Tarasenko returns and is as good as he was before he went down. That defensive style they play would be hell in a 7 game series. Boring as hell to watch but I don't really want to play the Blues unless I'm Anaheim or Chicago. It's pretty much the same deal with Phoenix and Nashville, I feel like one of those 2 teams will end up somewhere in the playoffs.

Strong goaltending can carry anyone to the cup and I think generally the West is stronger in that regard. Obviously it's not the only thing but we saw last year in the Blackhawks case how a high powered offensive team lost in big part to 1 man, Mike Smith. Right now, sure the East teams are doing better but come playoff time, I would way rather draw an Eastern Conference matchup than a West.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-03-09 at 09:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Snip
    Agree overall with your East picture except the Rangers. Strongest team on paper absolutely, but they are freaking 8th in the East holding a spot by 1 point and are playing mediocre hockey. I'm done buying the Rangers on paper. This is the third or fourth year in a row they have looked like they should be a dynamo. This time they aren't even bothering to wait until the playoffs to flounder. I love Torts, but something needs to change in the Rangers room before I take them seriously anymore anywhere but on paper. I'm still pulling for the Lightning. I feel like jinxed the shit out of them earlier in the year when they looked great. Offensively they are still fantastic, but their defense has been lackluster at best. Of the teams on the outside looking in right now, I would pick them to get in and maybe give a couple teams trouble in their defense can improve. The Pens have the offense, but they are giving up goals like a pedo giving out candy from his van. They are bleeding goals. That can't continue if they are going to hope to win the Cup.

In the West, I have zero confidence in anyone but the Hawks and Ducks. Like you said if Fasth holds up, yikes. They are like the Ducks that one year when Giggy just went off in net in the playoffs, but they are way better in front of the goalie. LA has looked much, much better over the last month than they did to start the year. They should compete in the West. Detroit I'm not even going to hold my breath on. How they are in 4th is mind boggling with their injury issues all year, not that that 4th won't turn into 10th by the end of the weekend thanks to the logjam past the Ducks and Hawks. I'm pulling for the Hawks though just so games don't start late at night.

Wings lost to the Jackets today. AGAIN. Seriously, what the hell is it with the Jackets this year? They are fucking awful against every single team but the Wings and Hawks although at least the Hawks manage to still eek out a win each time. The Jackets are 3-0-1 against the Wings now. 7 of their 22 points from the Wings.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-03-09 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Agree overall with your East picture except the Rangers. Strongest team on paper absolutely, but they are freaking 8th in the East holding a spot by 1 point and are playing mediocre hockey. I'm done buying the Rangers on paper. This is the third or fourth year in a row they have looked like they should be a dynamo. This time they aren't even bothering to wait until the playoffs to flounder. I love Torts, but something needs to change in the Rangers room before I take them seriously anymore anywhere but on paper. I'm still pulling for the Lightning. I feel like jinxed the shit out of them earlier in the year when they looked great. Offensively they are still fantastic, but their defense has been lackluster at best. Of the teams on the outside looking in right now, I would pick them to get in and maybe give a couple teams trouble in their defense can improve. The Pens have the offense, but they are giving up goals like a pedo giving out candy from his van. They are bleeding goals. That can't continue if they are going to hope to win the Cup.

In the West, I have zero confidence in anyone but the Hawks and Ducks. Like you said if Fasth holds up, yikes. They are like the Ducks that one year when Giggy just went off in net in the playoffs, but they are way better in front of the goalie. LA has looked much, much better over the last month than they did to start the year. They should compete in the West. Detroit I'm not even going to hold my breath on. How they are in 4th is mind boggling with their injury issues all year, not that that 4th won't turn into 10th by the end of the weekend thanks to the logjam past the Ducks and Hawks. I'm pulling for the Hawks though just so games don't start late at night.

Wings lost to the Jackets today. AGAIN. Seriously, what the hell is it with the Jackets this year? They are fucking awful against every single team but the Wings and Hawks although at least the Hawks manage to still eek out a win each time. The Jackets are 3-0-1 against the Wings now. 7 of their 22 points from the Wings.
    I keep hearing people mentioning Tampa lately, but I just don't see it. The defense is not good enough and the goalies aren't NHL calibre; Lindback maybe one day, but he looks like he should be in the minors at the moment. I also don't feel they would have the heavy hitting needed in the playoffs.

Rangers just need to get hot at the right time and they'll be in the SCF, but I guess you can say that about anyone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Conscript i watched the game today and i gotta say Detroit played with about as much energy against Columbus as i do taking my morning piss. which is about nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Conscript i watched the game today and i gotta say Detroit played with about as much energy against Columbus as i do taking my morning piss. which is about nothing.
    Just watched the highlights of that game and as happy I am to see DET bite it, I can't stand to hear the CBJs goal music. So generic and bland.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    And L.A. scores, might as well not try because we won't do shit vs that Sutter system. And damn Carter is on a hot streak lately.

I think playoffs in general has changed since the dynasty-eras through the salary cap. Being 8th seed in the playoffs is no longer a big deal; A goalie having a bad day, or just getting a good first period and out goes your home ice advantage. The regular season is the new playoffs - get in, and you've got as big of a chance as everyone to score an upset.
    Over the last few years, I've really found the first round to be the most exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    And L.A. scores, might as well not try because we won't do shit vs that Sutter system. And damn Carter is on a hot streak lately.
    I hate when we go to California...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    still stuck here for another couple days

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    WTF was with that Calgary/LA game last night? I saw the first period and right off the faceoff a goal banged off the post and out of Kipper's crease, then Calgary responds but interfered Quick so that goal was waved off. I hope the rest of the game wasn't as crazy as that first period was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I keep hearing people mentioning Tampa lately, but I just don't see it. The defense is not good enough and the goalies aren't NHL calibre; Lindback maybe one day, but he looks like he should be in the minors at the moment. I also don't feel they would have the heavy hitting needed in the playoffs.

Rangers just need to get hot at the right time and they'll be in the SCF, but I guess you can say that about anyone.
    I will readily admit to being a slight Tampa homer (based almost solely on them being my single accurate Cup prediction a year in advance ever). But ya their defense is miserable and Lindback has been real up and down. Their offense can be scary good though. They are basically the Penguins but they get fewer bounces going their way. Still think they could be like they were a couple years ago, get into the playoffs and then shock teams with the right matchups. Doubt they could win the Cup though.

That is a very astute description of yesterday's game. We shall see if today is different although I would bet more on the Jackets bumping that to 4-0-1 than the Wings winning. Why they don't show up for the Jackets games is beyond me.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    WTF was with that Calgary/LA game last night? I saw the first period and right off the faceoff a goal banged off the post and out of Kipper's crease, then Calgary responds but interfered Quick so that goal was waved off. I hope the rest of the game wasn't as crazy as that first period was.
    Rest of the game was just depression and cries of WHY. It's just more apparent than ever that we need to just blow the team up asap. Anyone who won't be on our team in 3 years has to be traded for prospects or picks. Lately more than anytime in the last few years has there been talks of a rebuild. I still think we fucked up when we didn't trade Inginla after his 43 goal season a couple years ago but that's in the past. Most people think he'll end up in Pittsburgh for Sean Harrington and a conditional 1st round pick depending on finals appearance. Basically, whoever wants Jarome Inginla, Jay Bouwmeester, Mike Cammalarri, Lee Stempniak, even Mark Giordano should have their offer looked it. We're stuck in this weird spot moving forward right now and I don't think Feaster is the man for the rebuild. I also think the ownership has more to do with it than Feaster in terms of actually doing what needs to be done. They brought in Bob Hartley who keeps repeating that he was hired to bring this team to the playoffs. Guess what Ken King? That's not happening. PLEASE stop torturing our fans

Anyways heading to Panorama for 3 days, talk to you boys on Wednesday
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-03-10 at 07:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was entertained.

Thx Capitals, we needed a solid win.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I was entertained.
    thought you at least would like that.