Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplexity View Post
    Wasn't sure whether to put this here or the other Warlock Season 13 PvP thread, but I figured here since Karma pointed out that it would be best to have a mega-thread based off a guide in the OP.
    Yeah to avoid further confusion I've closed the other thread, we'll have the season 13 discussion in here.

Sticky will go up when Niberion finishes the guide. Any comments on his work to start discussion or help improve it is highly welcome.

Deleted
    'Demonology

PvP Resilience > Spell Hit (6%) > PvP Power > Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit'

I have been told it was 'PvP Resilience > Spell Hit (6%) > PvP Power > Intellect > Crit > Haste > Mastery'

Does this depend on the play style or is mastery just better than the crit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mackie View Post
    'Demonology

PvP Resilience > Spell Hit (6%) > PvP Power > Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit'

I have been told it was 'PvP Resilience > Spell Hit (6%) > PvP Power > Intellect > Crit > Haste > Mastery'

I'm going to assume that since the value of crit is largely in Soulfire, and you won't be casting that regularly, and since Mastery boosts any damage in Meta + your pet, that the overal benefit of Mastery will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by mackie View Post
    'Demonology

The OP is correct with stat weights. Mastery is the best secondary stat for demonology since really the only time your damage is going to count is when you are in Meta. You want to improve that damage as much as possible.

Crit is well behind Mastery since a large value of crit comes from Doom crits spawning Imps. Doom tends to get decursed often in PvP and/or targets don't last long enough for Doom to be a huge part of your damage. Haste is even further behind (since many casts are instant and ToC global is not affected by haste) and you want to avoid it as much as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplexity View Post
    Crit is well behind Mastery since a large value of crit comes from Doom crits spawning Imps. Doom tends to get decursed often in PvP and/or targets don't last long enough for Doom to be a huge part of your damage. Haste is even further behind (since many casts are instant and ToC global is not affected by haste) and you want to avoid it as much as possible.
    Doom didn't even occur to me as a factor in PvP, though I suppose it gets used more often then Soulfire does, probably. My idea of Demo PvP is still that of the double Chaos Wave burst kills of a while ago. Not heard much about the playstyle since then, only that the efficiency of Chaos Wave was largely gone.

Deleted
    Thanks for the info guys, just got my lock to 90 and attempting to get the most out of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grozny View Post
    Nice guide, I'm sure this will be really helpful to many players.

I would really suggest staying away from the word required, up to you though. An example is the healthstone glyph for affliction, while it's an awesome glyph I wouldn't say it's required. I think just having your personal suggestions after the explanations of pro/cons would be a better way to go.
    Yes I can do that later when the guide is complete. When I say something is required, I actually mean it's that good you should be using it in 99% of the cases. I can't really think of any case where you won't be using the glyph of healthstone since it's that good.

Add in: Use caution when using unbound will as it will trigger dispel protection. This is not like a normal trinket, it will also clear other magics, not only CC. Unstable Affliction, Vampiric Touch.. Using unbound will with a UA on you will most likely hurt you more than it helps - 20% spell cost, UA crit + silence.

One big suggestion for sac. Don't always sac your pet instantly.. Your pet's cc and your saced command demon spell do not share CD. This means you can spell lock, sac, and spell lock again immediately. This added utility is one of the reasons I love GoSac.

I look forward to seeing the talk on the spells.
    That are some very good points you have there, I'll add it now.

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I'm going to assume that since the value of crit is largely in Soulfire, and you won't be casting that regularly, and since Mastery boosts any damage in Meta + your pet, that the overal benefit of Mastery will be higher.
    Since the nerf I've found Chaos Wave to be really bad. HoG seems much better if you just CC the healer during your burst to prevent dispels.

Also, I personally think that Crit>Haste seeing as you don't cast often in Demo and you get extra fury during crits if I'm not mistaken. The only real reason why Haste might not be so bad this patch is casting Fear, but other than that I don't really see why anyone would value it over Crit.

I'm glad I found this thread. Noxxic lists crit as priority stat for Demo and I just felt completely weak in PvP. Will reforge to all mastery later on. One question though, you list PvP resil as higher than PvP power. I guess I'm a little confused as to why? I don't really arena, I play RBGs, and as such I feel that as a dps pure I should be more focused on PvP power to have a more effective nuke on priority targets.
    Last edited by Gnawty; 2013-03-12 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnawty View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread. Noxxic lists crit as priority stat for Demo and I just felt completely weak in PvP. Will reforge to all mastery later on. One question though, you list PvP resil as higher than PvP power. I guess I'm a little confused as to why? I don't really arena, I play RBGs, and as such I feel that as a dps pure I should be more focused on PvP power to have a more effective nuke on priority targets.
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/22...ilience-guide/
    Eldacar just posted a mathy writeup on PvP Power vs Resilience. Essentially you get more bang for your buck with resilience.

Deleted

Shadow Cleave 5.2 with 12/3/13 nerfs..

So with 25% nerf at corruption would playing Shadowcleave still be any good? Or should Affli switch to destro as Corruption is losing some good damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StormiNL View Post
    So with 25% nerf at corruption would playing Shadowcleave still be any good? Or should Affli switch to destro as Corruption is losing some good damage.
    I have no idea how good shadowcleave will be, as the season has yet to start for me, however, I can tell you that shadowcleave with an affliction warlock will do better then with a destruction warlock.
    The main reason for this, destruction is bad when it comes to spreading DoTs and bringing sustained pressure. Destro is a cleave spec, not a multi dotting spec and for shadowcleave you want really DoTs on everyone for maximum pressure.

Also, I'll try to get another part or two of the guide written today between raid, arena and dailies, etc... The joy of being guildmaster >.>

Is Affliction fun to play in Arenas (2s) and Random Battlegrounds? Im slowly levelling mine up.

I really like the idea of a "tough" caster, with loads of DoT damage and self heal for drawn out fights.

Oh, and a sticky would be great for this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ryft View Post
    Is Affliction fun to play in Arenas (2s) and Random Battlegrounds? Im slowly levelling mine up.

I really like the idea of a "tough" caster, with loads of DoT damage and self heal for drawn out fights.

Oh, and a sticky would be great for this thread
    I am a fan of affliction, play it 100%. I toyed around with destro in 5.1 but just ended up sticking with affliction. The change to UA is really nice and really helped us out.

Played 12 games of 3s yesterday at 2200 MMR, went 11-1 with the only loss being because my gf thought it was a good idea to reset the modem during the middle of a game. I was playing Arms warrior/Aff lock/R shaman. I forgot to record the games but we'll probably play tonight and I'll try to throw it up in a video I can post a in a few days.

Thoughts on affliction:
    What actually seemed to make a big difference was the UA dispel damage buff. I'm actually happy when UA is dispelled now and our damage is in a good place, even with the Corruption nerf I could still rot people down pretty easily.

For comps I think mage lock druid/shaman is going to be pretty nuts if the mage takes Nether Tempest, and I've seen a lot of people playing Unh DK/lock/healer

10+ Year Old Account
    Added enchanting section + a part of the professions section. Will try to complete the professions section by tonight and hopefully the Spells section by tommorow.

[PVP] I don't understand why people don't demand lock nerfs? (but I'm new at warlock)

First, I don't have a lot of playtime on warlocks. But I recently switched to lock after getting full malv sets on Priest/Monk in Season 12.

My fledgling warlock with GrimSac/Soul Link has 470k hp before I even have a full PVP set, and you all know the range of survivability cooldowns that we have.

With all that survivability, I've still got shadowfury, blood horror, fear, spell lock. And as destro it's not like I'm having trouble killing people. God forbid I have 4 embers when my enemy goes down to execute range.

So my question is, once I have more warlock experience what am I going to learn is our weakness and our counter? Why aren't people up in arms that I can cycle through dark regen, healthstone, ember tap, void shield, and unending resolve all while having +20% HP...but can still burst with a well timed fear/CB+shadowburn or some conflags?

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose you are just talking about unrated battleground and world pvp?