Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Why can't you toss pet battles into Rift exactly?

There are already tons of pets in the game. They just have to create a battle interface and stats for the various pets.
    Honestly if there is a god of irony I hope Trion does this and calls it Arenas. Pvp'rs would throw a massive bitch fest.

I don't see how devs coming or going could ruin rift. A lot more goes into make the game than a few guys.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-03-11 at 09:43 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    It seems Trion has all but abonodened the practice of giving raid marks for expert runs making Experts all but irrelavent after you get the base gear which is quickly replaced.
    I wish they didn't remove this because I am in a bit of a gear limbo right now that requires only raiding to improve. I liked how original Rift allowed to progress ever-so-slowly by doing the experts. It didn't matter how many times I ended up running Charmer's Caldera, I knew I was going to be getting something out of it eventually. Experts mean very little and it's far to easy to get the Expert sets and have them upgraded.

It seems Trion has all but abonodened the practice of giving raid marks for expert runs making Experts all but irrelavent after you get the base gear which is quickly replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    I wish they didn't remove this because I am in a bit of a gear limbo right now that requires only raiding to improve. I liked how original Rift allowed to progress ever-so-slowly by doing the experts. It didn't matter how many times I ended up running Charmer's Caldera, I knew I was going to be getting something out of it eventually. Experts mean very little and it's far to easy to get the Expert sets and have them upgraded.
    Actually I suspect that this will return in 2.3 when the next tier of raiding appears (Grim Awakening is T5). Not sure if you remember but you didn't get raid marks until HK appeared, and you didn't get HK marks until a few patches after it released. Basically it's too soon, in time I am sure they will add them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Actually I suspect that this will return in 2.3 when the next tier of raiding appears (Grim Awakening is T5). Not sure if you remember but you didn't get raid marks until HK appeared, and you didn't get HK marks until a few patches after it released. Basically it's too soon, in time I am sure they will add them.
    Maybe that's because I didn't start playing until after HK was released - yes, I went to check and see when my first transaction was lol - so for me, by time i hit 50, it seemed like a common thing that was always there. Good to know that it's a definite possibility. Trion would be stupid not to do this seeing as how it does not take a lot of time to gear up with the Slayer's Marks. I would definitely love it if 2.3 added the current tier's marks.

Deleted
    Well, quest lines are time consuming from a developer standpoint. So that would be expensive and time consuming. You'd likely launch with that feature set or it would be a long time coming in a live game.

Would be neat. Kinda doubt the money vs. return is there for it though.

I would love if Rift got rid of the massive bloat. Classes are too bloated, too samey. Playing a Warrior is Rift is basically playing a Rogue in heavy armor. It's totally pointless.
    Been saying this all along.
    D3, Dark Souls do it better than most mmo's out there, that and no level advancement like TSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    There is roughly (75% - made up stat), going by a sample of just picking people at random and seeing what they are wearing and noticing a crap ton of people are not raiding in Storm Legion. As fun as it is to have to wait till 2.3 in possible May or June before I see my first raid mark because of this retarded system of linking achievements to join a raid ,....no thanks

It is hard to defend Rift when the community has added another gating mechanism on top of the ones that Trion has created. Blizzard created LFR and people hated it, yet noone can live without it now because it removed the community gated mechanism.

Next up in this silliness will be a gear score add on. It is bound to happen.

Isn't "pugging" a raid anathema to the very notion of raiding- which is exclusion.

If anyone can raid by matter of course then there is nothing special about getting a raid or raiding guild together.

As fun as it is to have to wait till 2.3 in possible May or June before I see my first raid mark because of this retarded system of linking achievements to join a raid ,....no thanks
    Or just join a guild?

Next up in this silliness will be a gear score add on.
    If I knew LUA I could make that addon

There is roughly (75% - made up stat), going by a sample of just picking people at random and seeing what they are wearing and noticing a crap ton of people are not raiding in Storm Legion. As fun as it is to have to wait till 2.3 in possible May or June before I see my first raid mark because of this retarded system of linking achievements to join a raid ,....no thanks

It is hard to defend Rift when the community has added another gating mechanism on top of the ones that Trion has created. Blizzard created LFR and people hated it, yet noone can live without it now because it removed the community gated mechanism.

Next up in this silliness will be a gear score add on. It is bound to happen.
    I am pretty sure I explained to you before that just cause they say you need achievement, doesn't mean you really do. That is how I got into raiding late into Chocolate. I joined the party late and was not 50 and ready to raid until after ID was out. I wanted to get into ann the T1 and T2 raiding, but people wanted you to link achievement to go. So instead of whining and crying about it, I simply sent these people tells, explained my situation and asked if they would consider bringing me anyway. Guess what? I got to do all pre-SL raiding, while being in a guild that only did T1 10-mans.

That's player gating and a lot of the time it's not really a gate at all. They want a quick run and people that know what they are doing and Achieve is a quick way to check that. However, someone who is geared enough and has researched the fights a bit can still get in if they but ask.

Isn't "pugging" a raid anathema to the very notion of raiding- which is exclusion.

If anyone can raid by matter of course then there is nothing special about getting a raid or raiding guild together.
    Sure if you do LFR the way Blizzard did then year guilds are pretty damn useless. If they bite the bullet and do itemization essentially for lower gear then people can atleast see th content.

I mean we got enough examples here. Trion can do this easily

[people who have killed Akylios and have achievement]/[people playing the game]

Well, gear is one side of it. Not sure if you should be allowed to see the content.

I mean wasn't that part of what Chronicles and Slivers was for? To provide smaller groups progression and allow casual players the opportunity tot see ROS/HK/GSDB in some small part. There were also DRRs for casual open world raiding.

If anything, in my view, I feel Trion has slacked on great lateral content in SL; DRRs, Chronicles, raid marks from dungeons, etc.

I don't think by virtue of playing the game or paying a sub one should just see content meant for dedicated groups, gated by a gear wall.

That's not raiding anymore. It's just standing in line to ride this update's rollercoaster.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-12 at 07:58 PM.

I don't think by virtue of playing the game or paying a sub one should just see content meant for dedicated groups, gated by a gear wall.

That's not raiding anymore. It's just standing in line to ride this update's rollercoaster.
    I think it's now a case of "how ya' gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree?"

Roller coaster it may be, but lots of people prefer riding a roller coaster to seeing trailers for a patch/expansion/event play up characters and lore that they are never going to see. Maybe Trion or another company can create enough compelling lateral content that casuals don't mind never seeing the big bad that marketing is based off of, but that's a tall order.

Casual players can see raid content. That's fine. No qualms with that at all.

Though I do think it is against the spirit of raid content when you can just grab any 19 randoms and see/complete content. Being a casual player doesn't exclude one from raiding or being in a guild either.

Raids are suppose to be content players need to figure out, work together, commit themselves to, etc. Exclusion is the basic appeal of raiding in that, 'here are obstacles we need to dedicate some effort toward'.

Allowing anyy one to participate in raiding content by simply logging on invariably cheapens the basic appeal of raiding.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-13 at 12:10 AM.

Casual players can see raid content. That's fine. No qualms with that at all.

Though I do think it is against the spirit of raid content when you can just grab any 19 randoms and see/complete content. Being a casual player doesn't exclude one from raiding or being in a guild either.

Raids are suppose to be content players need to figure out, work together, commit themselves to, etc. Exclusion is the basic appeal of raiding in that, 'here are obstacles we need to dedicate some effort toward'.

Allowing anyy one to participate in raiding content by simply logging on invariably cheapens the basic appeal of raiding.
    This, though the more difficult and exclusive the content, the more it interests me to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    I think it's now a case of "how ya' gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree?"

Roller coaster it may be, but lots of people prefer riding a roller coaster to seeing trailers for a patch/expansion/event play up characters and lore that they are never going to see. Maybe Trion or another company can create enough compelling lateral content that casuals don't mind never seeing the big bad that marketing is based off of, but that's a tall order.
    I have seen this popping up a lot lately, I mean it's always a complaint around here but lately much much moreso than before. Here's the thing, you do not need to be hardcore and play 30+ hours a week to raid. Now, if you want to be world first and push the bleeding edge of content then you do, but just to do it at your own pace yo do not. I have seen guilds that raid once a week for 4 hours. They alternate what they do every week. Sure, it takes them a lot longer to get through content, but they do it. The majority of the players in said guild only played 2-3 nights a week. They raided one and did their dailies/farming another. They did Experts as a guild, 1-2 nights a week and eventually cleared all content the game had to offer, playing a mere 6-8 hours a week at most. It's not that hard to do, unless you want it all right now. This all requires being a good player, knowing the mechanics, and playing well. With that little amount of time to play a week they did not tolerate fuck-ups, retards and people showing up unprepared, but they cleared all raid content.

Raiding is all about finding the right group for you. One that raids the times you raid or one that just cycles people in and out based on who is available. There is much more than one way to raid. The way I choose to raid is 3-4 nights a week for 3 hours each night. This happens to work well for me personally right now as I am able to find guilds that raid right after I put my daughter down for bed and stop at a time reasonable enough for me to get enough sleep to make it to work on time. Your situation may be different. In the guild described above, even the Guild/Raid leader himself only played 6 hours a week. He logged in Friday and Saturday nights after daugter went to bed while wife was out. That was it, that was the time he was able to play and he did and made the most of it, clearing all raid content in the game on a one night a week raid schedule.

Well, even "serious" and "hardcore" guilds only raid intensely for relatively small periods of time. Once things are on farm/progression is done those same guilds raid relatively lightly. Heck, they play lightly.

Like when our guild was breaking ID-- that was 4 nights a week. Raid started at 8 and ended when we collectively passed out. After we had stuff down easily. We raided 1-2 days a week. Then it became "alt raids" with whoever showed up, etc.

We are pretty close to that now in FT/EE. Except a few of us need some pieces still. Though raiding nights have slowed down quite a bit. As usual.

It is sort of a myth raiding is like some full time job and hardcore raiders are running content cant-stop-wont-stop fashion on end.

Unless pushing WF/SF it's not even a big time commitment these days.

Progression ends, guys.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-13 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless pushing WF/SF it's not even a big time commitment these days.
    I have a hard time believing that most raiders in Rift share that view, as raiding is supposed to be more intense in this game, because even crap guilds in WoW still have high commitment requirements for raiding. It's probably one of the largest reasons why traditional raiding is dying. Even in Cata, where we had devolved from a hardcore progression guild in TBC down to a FnF, do what we can guild, we still raided up to 2 nights a week for 4 hours. That doesn't count anyone who farmed for mats and provided food for the group.

I just can't believe that this game would be that much more relaxed for people seriously trying to raid. There are probably less outside activities required to prepare for raiding, but the raiding itself seems just as demanding if not more.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I have a hard time believing that most raiders in Rift share that view, as raiding is supposed to be more intense in this game, because even crap guilds in WoW still have high commitment requirements for raiding. It's probably one of the largest reasons why traditional raiding is dying. Even in Cata, where we had devolved from a hardcore progression guild in TBC down to a FnF, do what we can guild, we still raided up to 2 nights a week for 4 hours. That doesn't count anyone who farmed for mats and provided food for the group.

I just can't believe that this game would be that much more relaxed for people seriously trying to raid. There are probably less outside activities required to prepare for raiding, but the raiding itself seems just as demanding if not more.
    Since SL I have been seeking the right guild for me. I have been through 4 later night raiding guilds. All 4 of them shared that view. My current raid leader doesn't even run CQ for points and is at 0, so am I, so is most of the guild. They don't care about PvP. The vast majority of the guild are raid loggers who log on for raid and that's it. Maybe some on the weekend to do a little something, but that's it. We are busy people with real lives and children. Playtime is limited, but when we do play, we play hard.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Since SL I have been seeking the right guild for me. I have been through 4 later night raiding guilds. All 4 of them shared that view. My current raid leader doesn't even run CQ for points and is at 0, so am I, so is most of the guild. They don't care about PvP. The vast majority of the guild are raid loggers who log on for raid and that's it. Maybe some on the weekend to do a little something, but that's it. We are busy people with real lives and children. Playtime is limited, but when we do play, we play hard.
    My impression of raiding was that it was more difficult and thus would at least take similar time commitments. I guess it really is the difference that raiding is more of a 'culture' over yonder, where as a raider you pretty much play constantly in order to keep up with the Jonses.

I don't see Rift having that problem, so perhaps it is filled with people like me who have kinda maxed out their experience outside of raiding and then take it that one step further and actually raid. So I guess I can understand that it's not that much of a commitment, but I also have the view that even 2 nights at 4 hours (mandated, not chosen) is too much at this point in my MMO 'career'.
    BAD WOLF